The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your forum needs you - please read

+32
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
Tenez
Gregers
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Cari
FIFA Diva
Enforcer
activereactive
MBTGOG
OnASideNote
Impossible Standards
AlexHuckerby
aja424
Gibson
Dr Gregory House MD
Dave.
msp83
The Galveston Giant
ADMIN
Beer
Crimey
Davie
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cymroglan
Rowley
Thomond
razzaq
Union Cane
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
Adam D
36 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your forum needs you - please read Empty Your forum needs you - please read

Post by Adam D Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 10:46

A call to arms

As we are now 6 months old, we have been looking at what the future holds for 606v2.

Hopefully you have all been impressed with the efforts of both the admin and moderation teams. Since setting up the site as a new home for the old members of the BBC 606 service, we have grown into something that none of us could have imagined.

From Q&As to exclusive competitions, we are trying to offer a new experience for the forum members. We are committed to taking things even further with future link ups and exciting exclusives but we cannot do it alone. We need your help.

So what do we need? Well a simple economics lesson. If you have something that no one wants, the value of your good drops. Conversely, if you have something that is very desirable, your item is worth more. The same goes for our partners and prizes. The more people we have on our site, the more exclusive the link ups we will get and the more desirable the prizes we can offer.

So what do we want from you? Well quite simply, we want you to tell as many people as possible about 606v2.

That could be friends, families or colleagues. Tell them to check us out and join. If you belong to a sports club, tell them to take a look (from Golf to football – we want new members in every section).

If you work in a office – tell them about the football prediction league – if we get a big take up, we will attract some amazing prizes*. Every office I have ever worked in, has had a fantasy football league – tell them to join the 606v2 prediction one. ( https://www.606v2.com/t10360-prediction-league-partnership )

We are not asking for money – just support from everyone of you who uses this forum to take it to the next stage.

Going forward, we are on the cusp of some new announcements that you will hopefully all be as excited about as we are. However, if you have any ideas, then please leave them below, and please tell us about anyone you manage to get to join.

Your forum needs you!

*amazingness of the prizes is not guaranteed, and is totally subjective.

Last edited by Hobo on Tue 9 Aug 2011 - 16:32; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Your forum needs you - please read Empty Re: Your forum needs you - please read

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 10:52

Kind of feel we needed a poster attached (with the necessary photo shopping to change country to forum!)

Spoiler:

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:01

A VERY quick pshop edit!

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img842/6214/3434.gif

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:02

coxy0001 wrote:A VERY quick pshop edit!

Is there no beginning to your talents coxy?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:05

Good work, Coxy!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:06

Perhaps a monetary incentive for every new member introduced? Failing that a quick go on Pauline?

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:06

Posted a link to hear on another site I'm on but it feels like I'm betraying them. I feel dirty.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:07

coxy0001 wrote:A VERY quick pshop edit!

Virgin

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:07

I'm not so sure I'd want to advertise to my colleagues the fact that I spend all day tossing it off on here instead of working...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:14

Union Cane wrote:I'm not so sure I'd want to advertise to my colleagues the fact that I spend all day tossing it off on here instead of working...

Thats obviously a fair comment - hack into someone elses pc and send the email from there!

Do mention the football prediction though!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:38

Why is there a need for such rapid growth ? I hope that you are not going to take the same road as some other forums have taken in the past by getting a few thousand members to join the site and use that then as a weapon to sell advertising space.
I'm aware that sites like this cost money to run personally I would rather see a link for members to make a donation towards the running costs than have adverts all over the place.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:41

There is a link, mate. Click on 'contribution' at the bottom of your page. However, I'm not sure whether this is configured to contribute to the 606v2 founder or the host site that we run this forum from...hopefully someone in the know can clear this up?

The need for growth is, as Hobo says, to improve the experience of each member when they visit this forum. What we have right now is a great forum with plenty of depth, plenty to discuss and some great members, and personally I see no problem with wanting to expand on that to really help 606v2 become unique in its own right.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:46

Cymroglan wrote:Why is there a need for such rapid growth ? I hope that you are not going to take the same road as some other forums have taken in the past by getting a few thousand members to join the site and use that then as a weapon to sell advertising space.
I'm aware that sites like this cost money to run personally I would rather see a link for members to make a donation towards the running costs than have adverts all over the place.

Just to reassure you, we are not intending on selling advertising space on 606v2 in the near future. This recruitment drive is purely to facilitate talking to partnerships to get access to greater resources.

There are other ways we are looking to fund the forum - selling ad space on here is not one of them at this moment in time (although we could review that stance in the future). If we wanted to sell ad space, we could do it right now and make a tidy profit due the traffic we get (approx 1.5m hits per month).

All we are asking is for your support to help us grow - bearing in mind how much time all the mod/ admin team put in, I think that is very little to ask.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:48

Fists of Fury wrote:
to really help 606v2 become unique in its own right.

Isn't that essentially the issue here? the name doesn't scream uniqueness

Fair play to the guys if they want to earn some bread from it. I would. Missus works in the industry and it's all to do with hits. More users, more hits. If you're not logged in, there is already google adsense on the forum.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:49

Fact is to keep the debate open and worthwhile we do need more contributers here. As much as anything the different knwoledge and viewpoints helps me learn about the sport and challenge my own opinions. When its just the same 4 or 5 people day after day the place does become a bit pointless.

So yes get more people on please, and people who are here contribute more so I have the opportunity to tell you that youre wrong :P

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:49

You could easily have adverts on this forum. If you're not logged in there are adverts on here. Have them near the top of each page,would bring in income for the forum which some of the admins and mods deserve for the time they've spent for improving this place.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:50

Fists of Fury wrote:There is a link, mate. Click on 'contribution' at the bottom of your page. However, I'm not sure whether this is configured to contribute to the 606v2 founder or the host site that we run this forum from...hopefully someone in the know can clear this up?

I believe the "contributions" link at the foot of the page allows people to purchase "credits" for use as the site owner sees fit. The credits can be used (for example) to purchase "advert-free" months.

Hero is currently paying for advert removal, but as the forum gets busier, the hosts charge more "credits" for advert removal.

Bottom line is any contribution via this link go towards maintaining and improving the forum, rather than going into anyone's pocket

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 11:54

Also the google ads that are on display for the non members, generate income for the forum hosts (forum motion). To remove them costs money.

As davie said - anything you contribute through the link goes into credits - not our pockets.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 12:32

Everybody has to remember that the mods and admins aren't money grabbing swindlers looking to pick pocket the members. We are all just members like you, who have given up our time so that groups of friends can continue to discuss sport etc. with each other because 606 closed. I, for one, would never expect to get some kind of monetary advantage from modding the forum, I enjoy just being able to provide a good enviroment for us to discuss sport and other things.

But like Hobo and the rest of the admin team, we want the forum to always grow in size as much more members will hopefully mean more discussion and I think we can provide a friendly enviroment that other forums lack.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 12:34

I don't think most people would have a problem with ads if it helped the forum pay for its upkeep. They're not that distracting anyway.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 12:40

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Everybody has to remember that the mods and admins aren't money grabbing swindlers looking to pick pocket the members. We are all just members like you, who have given up our time so that groups of friends can continue to discuss sport etc. with each other because 606 closed. I, for one, would never expect to get some kind of monetary advantage from modding the forum, I enjoy just being able to provide a good enviroment for us to discuss sport and other things.

But like Hobo and the rest of the admin team, we want the forum to always grow in size as much more members will hopefully mean more discussion and I think we can provide a friendly enviroment that other forums lack.

Hobo is.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 12:44

KB,that's because he is a bum.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:38

Can people who were banned be reinstated? There was a vociferous debate about primetime (along these lines) and some people got the chop. Feel there has to be some give and take especially if futuRe good behaviour is guaranteed.....

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:40

Hi everyone, on my hols at present but just thought I'd drop by.

Just so everyone if aware, when I made the site I personally paid for ad removal and the name of the url address.
When the ad removal was due for renewal at the end of last week the cost had increased tenfold, its costing a fair few quid now so amy contribution is greatly appreciated. Contributions become credits which are then spent for site improvements.
Cheers!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:42

Depending upon the poster there may be possibility that a ban is lifted. A few people have returned from long term bans and behave themselves.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:44

Hero wrote:Hi everyone, on my hols at present but just thought I'd drop by.

Just so everyone if aware, when I made the site I personally paid for ad removal and the name of the url address.
When the ad removal was due for renewal at the end of last week the cost had increased tenfold, its costing a fair few quid now so amy contribution is greatly appreciated. Contributions become credits which are then spent for site improvements.
Cheers!

Good man thumbsup Personally i'm struggling to find a pot to urine in or would make a contribution.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:52

Why don't you put forward a vote for adverts on the forum? That would help bring in income and hopefully put some money back in Heros pocket.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:54

razzaq wrote:Can people who were banned be reinstated? There was a vociferous debate about primetime (along these lines) and some people got the chop. Feel there has to be some give and take especially if futuRe good behaviour is guaranteed.....

Most people are given fair warning before sanctions are put in place. Usually people will serve two temp bans.

Other people make attempts to create secondary ids to continue. These people usually get found out and prove that they cannot be trusted. It is these people who are likely not to be reinstated at any point.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 13:58

We certainly need more people over here, that will give the debates a greater context and value.
As far as Ideas are concerned, I would like to have snippets available as part of the posts. Some of the titles are not always suggestive, and not all of us have unlimited, fast internet connections all the time. So, if the first lines of the posts are available as snippets, that will be of help.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 14:30

Thomond wrote:Why don't you put forward a vote for adverts on the forum? That would help bring in income and hopefully put some money back in Heros pocket.

Democracy Chinese style...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 19:01

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 20:30

It's more of an Irish tactic. Brown envelopes a plenty over here.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 20:52

Property developers Whistle

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 20:54

More bakers actually but yeah we have a bunch of idiots in charge.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 20:58

I'm sure the money was just resting in their account.... Whistle

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 21:20

All I'm going to say is "down with this sort of thing"

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 22:22

Thomond wrote:All I'm going to say is "down with this sort of thing"

Careful Now

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 7:26

Thomond wrote:You could easily have adverts on this forum. If you're not logged in there are adverts on here. Have them near the top of each page,would bring in income for the forum which some of the admins and mods deserve for the time they've spent for improving this place.

Totally agree. There is NO way I'd do it for nowt. Must be self-financing to grow.

Just a query.. anyone do high quality training at an affordable cost? A shot in the dark I know... but.

Thanks on behalf of the Dew Drop Inn, Hobo. Loving yer work. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 7:46

Gibson wrote:
Thomond wrote:You could easily have adverts on this forum. If you're not logged in there are adverts on here. Have them near the top of each page,would bring in income for the forum which some of the admins and mods deserve for the time they've spent for improving this place.

Totally agree. There is NO way I'd do it for nowt. Must be self-financing to grow.

Just a query.. anyone do high quality training at an affordable cost? A shot in the dark I know... but.

Thanks on behalf of the Dew Drop Inn, Hobo. Loving yer work. OK

Its a pleasure to try and create something for you all. With regards to putting ads on, its something that COULD effect the membership due to work filters, hence our reticence to do it.

However, we are trying to raise funds through other channels - but to get us to the stage of it being enough to cover the costs, we need support from you guys.

Please tell friends to join both 606v2 and the prediction leagues Mentioned in the OP) - we have rugby ones coming soon. To get prizes, we need to be getting the numbers up to the 100 mark.

Post on your facebook walls about us - tell people in the pub - tweet like mad - just get people to join please!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 12:45

1.5 million hits per month is impressive, if for example I was to log in once a day on the same computer, would that be 1 hit or 30 per month as far as the figures go?
Also if somebody got banned, surely they could rejoin with a different name and nobody would be able to do anything about it technically, wouldnt they?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 12:48

That'd be 30 per month, AJ.

We have ways of knowing if a banned member has rejoined, by the way, so they don't always get away with it!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 12:59

No intentions of getting banned mate just to rejoin, and think yeah I got one on ya!!. Just wondered that was all.
Still, 1.5 million hits is impressive, especially as there will be plenty of people who haven't joined but have a look every now and then, especially when a fight that interests them is approaching.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:11

I literally have noone I could get to be a regular contributer on here, people I know don't really take sport as serious as I do, or enjoy debating it for hours on end like I do... I wish I had a life...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:16

AlexHuckerby wrote:I literally have noone I could get to be a regular contributer on here, people I know don't really take sport as serious as I do, or enjoy debating it for hours on end like I do... I wish I had a life...

To be fair, before I became a member of 606, neither did I. Just suggest people to take a look at the site, read some of the articles and you never know they may realise they have more to say than they first thought. That's what happened for me on the old 606 anyway.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:18

Fair enough I'll give it a go... I'll test out my Aunt Edith's knowledge on Thomas Hearns' Welterweight legacy! Smile

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:38

Sorry this maybe a silly question but do you have a facebook 606v2 page. I did search 606v2 but nothing came up. Social networking will help get some numbers up. Also can you add the face book like buttons on each topic? It will help get the forum topics out to non members visiting a friends 'like'. I did notice you have a login in with Facebook section but haven't done this so not sure whether these features activate through this.

In the meantime I have a couple of people who may want to join so I'll get on their case!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:38

Fists of Fury wrote:That'd be 30 per month, AJ.

We have ways of knowing if a banned member has rejoined, by the way, so they don't always get away with it!

And yes of course there should be a way of recording every members ip address not only will this ensure that banned members do not simply make a new user-name it would also ensure that members do not have multiple log in names.
Now that we are on the subject on what powers the site staff have, I myself am on the admin team of a military site and one of the questions asked in our suggestion forum was how safe are private messages and how secure are our e-mail addresses.We explained to him and our other members that yes it would be possible for the staff that have full site access could read private messages but we gave our word that that would never happen and also assured members that their e-mail addresses would never be sold on.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 14:59

We do NOT have access to members PMs. Only admins can see your email addresses and (like the site you mention) we will never pass them on to anyone else

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 15:05

We are one level below the Gestapo, not quite got to that level of power yet.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnASideNote Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 15:55

Thomond wrote:Posted a link to hear on another site I'm on but it feels like I'm betraying them. I feel dirty.

And rightly so Thom.....poor Munsterfans......... Wink

Nah, v2 is a complimentary not an alternative.....

OnASideNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next