The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season

+12
Cari
Breadvan
MonkeyOwain12
Dominic Dicoco
wales606
maestegmafia
Coleman
RubyGuby
glamorganalun
Draigoch
deadfred
welsh-matfield
16 posters

Go down

Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season Empty Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season

Post by welsh-matfield Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 pm

The man in posession: Dan Biggar -who although mostly had a disappointing season did show what a class act he can be during international periods at the ospreys.
The Contendor: Matthew Morgan - The new pin-up boy for welsh rugby? superb all year for Swansea and a class above the rest at wales under 20 levels. Still very young at 19.
The pretender: An unknown in Australian welsh-qualified Pete Smith who is rated highly by Scott Johnson.
Not to mention Dai Flanigan and Wles under 18 prospect Sam Davies (son of Nigel)?
So...whose it gonna be?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season Empty Re: Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season

Post by deadfred Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm

100% Mathew Morgan for me.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season Empty Re: Ospreys Fly-Half berth for new Season

Post by Draigoch Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:25 pm

Dan Biggar keeps it for now, a solid player. It's up to the other boys to show they can take it on when they're given a shot in the 'lesser' games or as subs.

Morgan'll get a few shot I'd imagine..

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 pm

We just have to hope that the management at the Ospreys don't mess Morgan about like they did with Hook. If they had just kept Hook at 10 the O's and Wales would be much better sides and he would probably still be in Wales rather then France. If they don't play Morgan as their main 10 he should leave IMO.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:40 pm

deadfred wrote:If they don't play Morgan as their main 10 he should leave IMO.

Sorry? i don' t care how talented people may think he is, he has to earn the shirt - same as any other player. He plays badly, he gets benched. As for being messed about there's no way he's big enough to play centre/full-back so no major worries there.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Mathew Morgan is not ready for top flight games he is not strong enough, the Pontypridd centres went straight through him in the play off game at CAP. If you can't hold your own at the level what chance is there against Leinster, Munster and the Scarlets etc. I am sure he will run rings around a number of flyhalves and he kicks really well out of hand but he will need a lot of support from the players around him i.e., similar to ROG and D Parks but more.

Biggar has to be the number one until one of the other players come through.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:48 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Mathew Morgan is not ready for top flight games he is not strong enough, the Pontypridd centres went straight through him in the play off game at CAP. If you can't hold your own at the level what chance is there against Leinster, Munster and the Scarlets etc. I am sure he will run rings around a number of flyhalves and he kicks really well out of hand but he will need a lot of support from the players around him i.e., similar to ROG and D Parks but more.

Just like Shane the greatest NH try scorer was too small for international rugby

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Biggar by a mile with the others having an opportunity to first see if they can cut it at this level - Significant lack of quality back up for Biggar though and a great concern for those O's fans clamming for silverware - The O's look like they are becoming the Arsenal of the Magners - Once mighty champions but now having to settle for something less as they redevelop their brand without the galicticos label. That might be a good thing for them but they need a very strong pack to compete and I think mid table mediocrity is a likelihood here. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Its going to be Biggar isnt it. But i think with the rumours that Morgan approached the Blues and Dragons in order to make sure he gets game time shows that he unlike Hook is deadly serious about playing at 10 and wants to play at 10 from the start of his carrier. So the O's need to be aware of what they potentially have on their hands, he could be class. But he cant be thrown in like Arwel was.

I dont think his percived defencive frailty is as much of a problem as thought. O'Gara has been referd to as "the speed bump" for as long as i can remember now but is still a class player.

I'm not aware of the other players though.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 pm

If Morgan was Australian he would be playing regular top flight rugby

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Deadfred:

Shane has the benfit of a touchline to drive players out, standing at 10 you are going to get the opposition back row and centres targeting a small 10, he needs to bulk up fast. He could make a good scrum half or wing, a bit like Shane!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 pm

If my auntie had male bits she'd be my uncle.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Mathew Morgan is not ready for top flight games he is not strong enough, the Pontypridd centres went straight through him in the play off game at CAP. If you can't hold your own at the level what chance is there against Leinster, Munster and the Scarlets etc. I am sure he will run rings around a number of flyhalves and he kicks really well out of hand but he will need a lot of support from the players around him i.e., similar to ROG and D Parks but more.

Actually he was superb orchestrating things from Flyhalf in the LV= vs Leicester for the Ospreys... I think he is the type of player that will only learn by being challenged.

I see him on the bench to Dan Biggar this year, coming on to finish games off or open them up.

The Aussie kid smith is only a summer try out, short term contract for pre season for the coaches to see if he is any good... if he is he stays, if not he is off home... No dramas mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:36 pm

If Biggar gets a big injury at the start of the season, what will Scott Johnson do?

With Hook gone they have no replacement 10,

Dia Flanagan has had good games a few years ago, but is not ML standard from what I have seen recently.

Matthew Morgan has 0 ML games.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 pm

samoan fella plays ten and 9. they are covered

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, this is true. I would love to see Morgan reach the top levels of the game, as he is awesome to watch. The game against Ponty did show that he has to really work on his defence. The Ponty centres ran at him at every opportuntity and broke through most times. The shirt belongs to Biggar at the moment and I really beleive he will have a good year, with less pressure on him now that Hook has left.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Will be really good if the O's could give Webb and Morgan a lot of game time together. Against, no disrespect. The Italians and Connaught. The LV needs to be their time to shine aswell.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Coleman wrote:Will be really good if the O's could give Webb and Morgan a lot of game time together. Against, no disrespect. The Italians and Connaught. The LV needs to be their time to shine aswell.

Yes I do hope Morgan gets plenty of game time against the lesser teams this year. It could be a big year for him and show where he is at.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Surely a little common sense is required here.

Biggar is 100% the incumbent 10, and yeah, Morgan is a very exciting prospect, I've seen quite a bit of him, he could be...ridiculous, takes the ball to the line, great toe and feet. Reminds me of Quade.

And just as the Aussies have done with their 'defensive frailty', chuck him on the wing for set pieces and it won't be that often that he'll have the opportunity to be 'run over'.

Size is of no importance at all, if your set up is sorted.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:53 pm

MonkeyOwain12 wrote:Surely a little common sense is required here.

Biggar is 100% the incumbent 10, and yeah, Morgan is a very exciting prospect, I've seen quite a bit of him, he could be...ridiculous, takes the ball to the line, great toe and feet. Reminds me of Quade.

And just as the Aussies have done with their 'defensive frailty', chuck him on the wing for set pieces and it won't be that often that he'll have the opportunity to be 'run over'.

Size is of no importance at all, if your set up is sorted.

Hiding him is the best way to go about it, looking at the stats Cooper made 1 tackle against SA. I just don't think he could away with it at the moment. We will see this season though, I hope. It would be awesome if he does make it. Him and Shane in the same team would frighten a few props in the defensive line!

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 am

Biggar to definately claim the 10 shirt. Interesting to see how he plays this season without the Hook shadow. His kicking out of hand needs to be improved. Hopefully MM will get alot more bench time this season instead of fleeting appearences.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 am

I'd like to see Biggar retain the position. He's got the experience behind him and will continue to improve on that. Morgan could certainly be one to watch out for in the future. Dai Flannagan?! No...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am

Cari wrote:I'd like to see Biggar retain the position. He's got the experience behind him and will continue to improve on that. Morgan could certainly be one to watch out for in the future. Dai Flannagan?! No...

Dai Flan is finished now I would say. He would never have been a world beater, but he has not had the chance to prove himself, after the few games he had in the Heineken Cup.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 am

It's a shame Gareth Owen is injured, he's another potential quality outside half who has been messed about by the O's and moved from pilar to post - Would have liked to have seen him have a run at 10 - Maybe another region??

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am

As an outsider looking in it seemed to me that Biggar played much better when Phillips wasn't there (i.e. when Webb was 9). Although I don't like some of Biggar's attitude, and the media is partly to blame for the pantomine that surrounds this, he does seem like a class act when he has quick service, especially considering his young age. Notice any similarities with Wales???! Phillips slows international back play down too!

It will be interesting to see how Biggar goes with Webb and/or the Samoan player at 9 all season. I agree with another poster: even though Matthew Morgan is extremely talented, and I'm a big fan, he must earn the shirt. I think Biggar is the incumbent and Morgan needs to be given some big O's games like the league and LV (ss in bigger than Swansea semi-pro games, with Biggar for HC games), but if his form is great then he will oust Biggar from the shirt. That's the normal way of the world. If he doesn't prove himself to be better than the more experienced Biggar then he should bide his time, work on his game and take his chances when he gets them.

Similarly, if Biggar is pants (but I blame Phillips for making him pants) then others should get the chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Heaven forbid the management will allow a player to concnetrate on one position Wink

You could see Biggar at 12 with Morgan at 10
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Bigger at 12 is an interesting option. But then it could just be the hook situation all over again. I'd assume the O's have some tallent coming through at in the center positions aswell.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Biggar at 12 sounds hideous!!

We've got more than enough 12's and 13's coming through, I really hope that doesn't happen.

But, our coaches do love their square pegs...

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm

MonkeyOwain12 wrote:Biggar at 12 sounds hideous!!

We've got more than enough 12's and 13's coming through, I really hope that doesn't happen.

But, our coaches do love their square pegs...

Monkey,

By the end of the season most were saying he shouldn't be at 10 but the management stuck with and messed Hook about. So it has to be Biggars turn to be messed around now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Coleman wrote:Bigger at 12 is an interesting option. But then it could just be the hook situation all over again. I'd assume the O's have some tallent coming through at in the center positions aswell.

Terrible idea, he doesn't have enough strength in defence...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:26 pm

To be honest I think that Biggar will start the season at fly half, but depending on how things go I would not be shocked to see the Samoan lad play at fly half, with Rhys Webb at scrum half.

I think that Matthew Morgan is a great prospect, and I am a bit concerned that he will be thrown into the side and the team wil be made to adjust around him, much like when Biggar was a bright prospect, and much like Henson before him. All things being equal, and injury permitting, the Ospreys have a pretty talented back devision for next season, and a heap of talented youngsters who should be ready to step up and push for places (as much as I hate to say it).

Thinking about Biggar to the inside centre shirt though that worries me. The Ospreys have a number of good centres in their squad, and maybe this is now the time for Gareth Owen to step up and claim the shirt (after all he has been touted as the next Henson), and they also have Beck and Spratt (i believe), and Bishop could even do a decent job there.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 pm

I'll be at the Liberty next year so I'd pick Morgan at home, and Biggar away Wink
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Agree 100% Alun

Amazing how some posters on here are advocating young Morgan as the regional 10, when he obviously has some poor games at feeder level, how to ruin young talent before it has a chance to develope furious . Give him exposure to some of the minor games for the 2011/12 season and then assess him.

Biggar had some big MOM performances last year, but like all players form went and confidence dropped not helped by Phillips dire performances, but IMHO he is a future star and with quick service will prove that for the Ospreys region and for Wales
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down