The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral?

+3
Eyetoldyouso
Davie
Mercurio
7 posters

Go down

Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral? Empty Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral?

Post by Mercurio Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

At the weekend, I highlighted that someone had dropped from the wrong place after finding water on our par Par 3 1st.

I was a bit surprised that this person didn't know the rule for the correct dropping point, so I thought I'd best send an e-mail around to 'our group' to ensure and reassure myself that they all knew the correct procedure. The subsequent e-mails suggest they didn't.

The scenario is where a ball crosses a water hazard (in our case a stream in front of the green) pitches on the bank goes along the bank and then falls back into the water hazard about 10 yards further right then when it first crossed the hazard. I'd assumed everyone knew that it's the point that the ball went back into the hazard that was the point to keep in line when dropping buy it appears not everyone has been doing that.

The popular place for the ball to go back into the hazard is right in front of a tree, meaning that tree would be in their line for their next shot. As there is very little land from which to play a shot from in front of the tree, the player may need to go back 100 yards on to the 4th/15th holes to get a line in where they can clear the tree. Someone commente dthat this would increase playing time so they suggested creating a drop zone. I suggested turning it into a lateral water hazard even though the water hazard runs at an equivalent angle of approximately 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

Is there a certain angle to the green/hole that a lateral water hazard has to be to be a lateral water hazard?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral? Empty Re: Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral?

Post by Davie Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I don't believe there is any such stipulation for creating a lateral hazard. The crucial point though would be to ask if that last position (by the tree) where the ball last crosses the hazard line, has an area where a 2 club length point of relief could be taken without becoming nearer to the hole.

If that is unlikely, then a drop zone would indeed sound like a good solution

Davie

Back to top Go down

Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral? Empty Re: Lateral water hazards - do they have to be lateral?

Post by Mercurio Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Davie wrote:I don't believe there is any such stipulation for creating a lateral hazard. The crucial point though would be to ask if that last position (by the tree) where the ball last crosses the hazard line, has an area where a 2 club length point of relief could be taken without becoming nearer to the hole.

Yeah, it does. You'd look to drop greenside of the hazard and you'd probably end up placing the ball because of the bank, but you could go within 2 club lengths no closer to the hole.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Is that true along the whole greenside length of the hazard though? It may well be that most shots re-enter the hazard at this point by the tree (where you can give them a "lateral" drop - but for those that don't enter at that point, is the red markings still an option?

If so, I'd say you've hit on a good potential solution. If not, then the drop zone would be the way to go.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Davie wrote:Is that true along the whole greenside length of the hazard though? It may well be that most shots re-enter the hazard at this point by the tree (where you can give them a "lateral" drop - but for those that don't enter at that point, is the red markings still an option?

If so, I'd say you've hit on a good potential solution. If not, then the drop zone would be the way to go.

I'd need to check the angle of the water hazard to be 100% sure but assuming it's as I said above and it cuts across from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock it should be possible.

Someone on the Committee has just said he will bring it up for discussion at the next meeting.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Mercurio wrote:At the weekend, I highlighted that someone had dropped from the wrong place after finding water on our par Par 3 1st.

I was a bit surprised that this person didn't know the rule for the correct dropping point, so I thought I'd best send an e-mail around to 'our group' to ensure and reassure myself that they all knew the correct procedure. The subsequent e-mails suggest they didn't.

The scenario is where a ball crosses a water hazard (in our case a stream in front of the green) pitches on the bank goes along the bank and then falls back into the water hazard about 10 yards further right then when it first crossed the hazard. I'd assumed everyone knew that it's the point that the ball went back into the hazard that was the point to keep in line when dropping buy it appears not everyone has been doing that.The popular place for the ball to go back into the hazard is right in front of a tree, meaning that tree would be in their line for their next shot. As there is very little land from which to play a shot from in front of the tree, the player may need to go back 100 yards on to the 4th/15th holes to get a line in where they can clear the tree. Someone commente dthat this would increase playing time so they suggested creating a drop zone. I suggested turning it into a lateral water hazard even though the water hazard runs at an equivalent angle of approximately 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

Is there a certain angle to the green/hole that a lateral water hazard has to be to be a lateral water hazard?

I have some difficulties with this for the following reasons:-
The drop you describe, on the far bank, this is in breach of Rule 26-1b. I quote from the relevant part "b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.
Check definitions in the Rules of Golf - "A "lateral water hazard" is a water hazard or that part of a water hazard so situated that it is not possible, or is deemed by the Committee to be impracticable, to drop a ball behind the water hazard in accordance with Rule 26–1b. All ground and water within the margin of a lateral water hazard are part of the lateral water hazard."
Therefore, the committee may deem any water hazard or part thereof to be a lateral water hazard.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Sorry, I might have misread your original post. I got the impression that the tree was on the bank between the hazard and the hole.

Nevertheless, if the tree is in the way of a legal drop - tough luck.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:Sorry, I might have misread your original post. I got the impression that the tree was on the bank between the hazard and the hole.

Nevertheless, if the tree is in the way of a legal drop - tough luck.

No, the tree is on the tee-side of the hazard.

It's not because the tree is in the way that someone has suggested a drop zone be created. It's because a lot of time could be lost walking 100 yards to the fairway of a different hole to give them a shot with a chance of getting over the tree and hitting the green.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Reasons like this is why i am pleased i only play with my mates. And always use the generous drop rule.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am

I have the solution.

Cut the tree down

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am

Doon the Water wrote:I have the solution.

Cut the tree down

Rolling Eyes

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Why don't you just replay the shot from the original spot, when you see it go in the water ??
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Why don't you just replay the shot from the original spot, when you see it go in the water ??

I would imagine it's because it's a 167 yard par 3 (into the prevailing wind) with OOB on the left, a narrow green surrounded by 2 bunkers above the green at the back and 3 bunkers and a water hazard below the green in front.

It's a tricky hole.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Low punch under the branches deliberately into the bunker and pops up and out onto the green-simples

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:52 pm

dynamark wrote:Low punch under the branches deliberately into the bunker and pops up and out onto the green-simples

No chance - The angle of the face of the bunker is nearly 90 degrees and when standing in it you're 5 to 6 foot below the green. If you hit into the face of the bunker, it's staying in there.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Just blow up the firkin tree even more simples.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down