The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers who know their boxing...

+9
eddyfightfan
Mind the windows Tino.
BALTIMORA
coxy0001
Rowley
Scottrf
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Fists of Fury
kevchadders
13 posters

Go down

Boxers who know their boxing... Empty Boxers who know their boxing...

Post by kevchadders Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

May seem like I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but the angle I'm looking for with this topic is which fighters (retired or active) in your opinion give the best pre-fight predictions. In the past on here I've noticed a few mentioned that they always look out for Tyson's pre-fight predictions as generally he hits the nail on the head and gets the tactics spot on, as well as how the fight will pan out..

So, out of all the boxers out there, which ones do you always look out for when it comes to there comments, and more importantly always find yourself always agreeing with?

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Boxers who know their boxing... Empty Re: Boxers who know their boxing...

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

Always have time to listen to lil Barry. Glad Sky signed him up.

Also, Iron Mike is very knowledgable when it comes to the sport.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

I think Tyson is better with the history stuff. His insight didn't seem great for the Haye-Harrison fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Not really the question but apparently Jim Corbett was truly awful at predicting fights, to the point where whoever used to ghost write his newspaper columns often used to change his predictions or bet against whoever Jim predicted.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

Jim Watt..... "I've got X 108-98 up coming into the last"... his opinion almost resembles a mirror portal whereby everything is reversed. Quite how he comes to some of his conclusions is beyond comprehension.

Antonio Tarver seems to know his stuff

Mike Tyson knows his stuff

I know more than them all though.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Wouldn't it be harder to find boxers who really don't know their stuff?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Wouldn't it be harder to find boxers who really don't know their stuff?

I've always felt that Nicky Piper, for someone who clearly has intelligence, speaks some utter guff on boxing. Might just be me though. Haven't forgiven Richie Woodhall for his clueless and classless comments after the Macklin v Sturm fight either.

Agree with peoples calls for Hopkins, always enjoy listening to him.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

i always thought lennox lewis was pretty good as predicting how a fight would go

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

Is a bit hard with the guys on Sky because very often with the big fights they have to try and shift PPV's and so try and build them up. You could see it with Haye vs Audley, they were all trying to sell it as a close fight but you could tell most of them didn't think Audley had a cat in hells chance deep down.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

rowley wrote:Is a bit hard with the guys on Sky because very often with the big fights they have to try and shift PPV's and so try and build them up. You could see it with Haye vs Audley, they were all trying to sell it as a close fight but you could tell most of them didn't think Audley had a cat in hells chance deep down.

Spot on. Was going to pull dee up on mcguigan but you've said how it is. With a British fighter involved there is too much bias......
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

rowley wrote:Is a bit hard with the guys on Sky because very often with the big fights they have to try and shift PPV's and so try and build them up. You could see it with Haye vs Audley, they were all trying to sell it as a close fight but you could tell most of them didn't think Audley had a cat in hells chance deep down.

Maybe so Jeff, but Woodhalls ridiculous comments came after the fight. I am sure he was just emotional at the time and would maybe have toned it down had he had time to think.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

Hopkins seems to be a level above all the other fighters around at the moment when it comes to analysing a fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

Very true Tino suspect with hindsight he would tone it down, particularly as Woodhall is on the whole one of the less excitable guys they have, was more thinking of Barry McGuiganin the run up to Haye Harrison you could see that every time he had to predict a close fight or ways in which Audley could win he felt dirty, genuinely got the impression he dearly wanted to say the chancer has no hope.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

rowley wrote:Very true Tino suspect with hindsight he would tone it down, particularly as Woodhall is on the whole one of the less excitable guys they have, was more thinking of Barry McGuiganin the run up to Haye Harrison you could see that every time he had to predict a close fight or ways in which Audley could win he felt dirty, genuinely got the impression he dearly wanted to say the chancer has no hope.

I think Barry is generally one of the better ones. He does have a tendency to interrupt his fellow guests though, which only really gets annoying when one of them is saying something interesting.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I think Barry is generally one of the better ones. He does have a tendency to interrupt his fellow guests though, which only really gets annoying when one of them is saying something interesting.
Has that happened yet on Sky?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I think Barry is generally one of the better ones. He does have a tendency to interrupt his fellow guests though, which only really gets annoying when one of them is saying something interesting.

Bob Mee.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

Slightly different, but Archie Moore was fighting in London and tapped the other fighter on the shoulder at the end of the 11th round. The commentator said that was Archie telling the man the next round was his last one. Sure enough, Archie sparked him out next round. I don't know how well he was predicting other people's fights though!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:56 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Bob Mee.
He interrupted the rules, or on Ringside?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Bob Mee.
He interrupted the rules, or on Ringside?

Wasn't really linking Bazza and Bob to be honest. Just saying Mr Mee is an interesting chap on Ringside.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

bhb001 wrote:Slightly different, but Archie Moore was fighting in London and tapped the other fighter on the shoulder at the end of the 11th round. The commentator said that was Archie telling the man the next round was his last one. Sure enough, Archie sparked him out next round. I don't know how well he was predicting other people's fights though!

It was with the aid of Moores ring intelligence that Foreman was able to make a comeback in the late 80's

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Wouldn't it be harder to find boxers who really don't know their stuff?

I've always felt that Nicky Piper, for someone who clearly has intelligence, speaks some utter guff on boxing.

I like Nicky Piper, think he's very articulate and puts his views accross very well. And how can you not like someone with THAT haircut!?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

bhb001 wrote:Slightly different, but Archie Moore was fighting in London and tapped the other fighter on the shoulder at the end of the 11th round. The commentator said that was Archie telling the man the next round was his last one. Sure enough, Archie sparked him out next round. I don't know how well he was predicting other people's fights though!

Sure it wasn't just a 12-round fight..? Whistle

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

Have heard the same story attributed to a number of boxers.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down