The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about?

+14
azania
DaveVDK
eddyfightfan
Mind the windows Tino.
mckay1402
Atila
TRUSSMAN66
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
bellchees
milkyboy
88Chris05
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about? Empty Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about?

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:05 pm

Ok, so we have had some famous ones and some brilliant ones, and sometimes both.

Hard to top Raging Bull, IMO.

That aside, which stories or Bio's would you like to see made into a film?

So many wonderful, inspiring and often tragic tales to be told.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about? Empty Re: Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about?

Post by Rowley Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

Have always said Kassim Ouma would be a belter. Sold into the army as a child soldier in a civil war as a child before growing up to get free of this and go on to become a world champion, is a story made for the cinema that one.

Joe Louis would make for a good film, the struggles he had to endure post Johnson just to secure a shot, enough back room shenanigans to provide sufficient sub plots and his war efforts and subsequent treatment at the hands of the IRS should provide the films emotional gravitas.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about? Empty Re: Boxers/Boxing stories they should make a film about?

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

Mickey Walker wouldn't be a bad start. All-time pound for pound great, but that's only scratching the surface. A hellraiser through and through involved in many bar-room scraps, married four women in his life, married three of those women twice (!) and then, in retirement, became an internationally-respected painter.

Quite a life.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:23 pm

Buster Douglas... Wouldn't be a dry eye in the house

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:24 pm

Rowley wrote:Have always said Kassim Ouma would be a belter. Sold into the army as a child soldier in a civil war as a child before growing up to get free of this and go on to become a world champion, is a story made for the cinema that one.

Joe Louis would make for a good film, the struggles he had to endure post Johnson just to secure a shot, enough back room shenanigans to provide sufficient sub plots and his war efforts and subsequent treatment at the hands of the IRS should provide the films emotional gravitas.

Wow! Didn't know of Ouma's story. Amazing

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:25 pm

David haye. He could play himself... Said he didn't want any action roles

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:27 pm

Bhop - but only if he played himself.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

From what I've heard of Johnny Tapia's life a film wouldn't be believable. Also on the flip side of Joe Louis a Max Schmeling film would have a lot to offer.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

Young Perez.

Or any of the guys from Tino's unsung heros series really.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

Tapia is a great shout. His story deserves to be told. Given what he has been through it was a miracle he achieved anything positive with his life, which he did

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:58 pm

Just had a quick scan about Ouma and it would appear Rowley that a documentary on his life was made a few years back; Kassim the dream.

Tapia has a life which I don't think would make for easy watching, would be one i'd steer clear of.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:03 pm

Jose Torres was due to fight in the Garden......

Any how his opponent pulled out at the last minute...The Promoter went white with fear as the crowd had already filtered in...

Anyway as he was panicking he saw a journeyman light heavyweight at the hot dog stall.....(forgot his name..sorry)......................

He explained the situation and begged him to help..........

"I can't"..........................."Why not"??

"haven't got any trunks"..............."I'll get you some!!!"

"This hot dog has just cost me a couple of bucks"..."I'll add it to your pay"

"The ticket cost me 20 bucks!!!"........I'll add it to your pay"

"Okay".............

The guy went the distance and lost a decision....

True story!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:04 pm

bellchees wrote:Also on the flip side of Joe Louis a Max Schmeling film would have a lot to offer.

I watched a film about Schmeling a couple of years back - former Super-Middleweight world titlist Henry Maske played Max, while Arthur Abraham also featured. It's called 'Max Schmeling - The Fist of the Reich.'

Decent enough film if you're a boxing nut, I suppose, but not one you'd feel compelled to watch again in all probability.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:07 pm

That should read former Light-Heavy titlist Henry Maske of course, not Super-Middle!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
bellchees wrote:Also on the flip side of Joe Louis a Max Schmeling film would have a lot to offer.

I watched a film about Schmeling a couple of years back - former Super-Middleweight world titlist Henry Maske played Max, while Arthur Abraham also featured. It's called 'Max Schmeling - The Fist of the Reich.'

Decent enough film if you're a boxing nut, I suppose, but not one you'd feel compelled to watch again in all probability.

Does Louis move his head in that film ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:32 pm

There was an American TV movie made about Joe Louis and Max Scmeling a few years ago. You might be able to pick up a copy on eBay.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281938/

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

Jimmy wilde would be a great story. I started writing a story about an imagination boxer and it turned out to be almost exactly the same as Jimmy wildes life.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 10 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Young Perez.

You're too kind, TopHat.

Perez is a great story but Barney Ross has to be the subject of a film one day. Father shot dead resisting a robbery, Barney being a three weight world champion, retiring and joining the Marine's, war hero on Guadalcanal and then beating a morphine addiction. It's made for Hollywood. Absolutely made for it.

I would write a screenplay but I don't have the talent to put one together.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 10 Apr 2013, 10:16 pm

the rise and fall of frank warren

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Wed 10 Apr 2013, 10:23 pm

Edwin Valero, would be pretty harrowing though.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Apr 2013, 10:24 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Young Perez.

You're too kind, TopHat.

Perez is a great story but Barney Ross has to be the subject of a film one day. Father shot dead resisting a robbery, Barney being a three weight world champion, retiring and joining the Marine's, war hero on Guadalcanal and then beating a morphine addiction. It's made for Hollywood. Absolutely made for it.

I would write a screenplay but I don't have the talent to put one together.

Lack of talent doesnt seem to hold back a lot of screenwriters. I'd imagine a guy who writes well like you tina could make a decent fist of it. Have confidence and live the dream!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:22 pm

Evan Field.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

Micheal Katsidis would be interesting. Trying to find the big fights, willing to travel, the death of his brother etc. And he seems like a genuine warrior and nice guy.

Id also like to see a film based on Evander Holyfield. The Cruiserweight come Heavyweight champ, fights with Lewis, his ear biting scenario with Tyson, the millions of dollar debt, the countless kids, the ongoing title hunt.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:50 am

The PEDs.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 10:10 am

I read somewhere they are planning on making a sequel to The Fighter. I appreciate the film did well but come on, do we really need two films about Mickey bleeding Ward when one considers all the truly great fighters and brilliant stories in the sport whose stories have not yet been told.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 11 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

Seems most boxers lives follow a couple of typical patterns usually with them losing everything. It's really the personal life of the fighter that might be interesting. Not many fighters lead interesting lives, it all training and then the fights.

Jack Johnston's story has a bit of depth to it around race issues.

Imagine making a movie about Floyd or Manny, it would be like watching paint dry.

A mafia movie based around the fight game and taking on cases like Sonny Liston might have potential. There's enough material around fight fixing and the dilemmas fighters faced. Good opportunities for violence.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

Rowley wrote:I read somewhere they are planning on making a sequel to The Fighter. I appreciate the film did well but come on, do we really need two films about Mickey bleeding Ward when one considers all the truly great fighters and brilliant stories in the sport whose stories have not yet been told.
Given that they glossed over what were arguably the best fights of his career (cos he didn't actually win the series so it doesn't make for a good movie) they should have a director's cut of it instead of a sequel. Failing that, what about a film of Gatti?

Of course, the ultimate boxing film would have to be the life of Peter Jackson although how they'd managed to find an actor able to give the role the dignity and grace it would so badly need, I don't know. Perhaps they'll just give it to the newly released Wesley Snipes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:11 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Perhaps they'll just give it to the newly released Wesley Snipes.

I can see Daniel Day Lewis playing John L Sullivan as well.

He would love the method acting involved with that part.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

Jackson is actually not a bad shout Dave, his refusal to participate in fixed fights and sportsmanship irrespective of what that did to his chances of getting a title shot would make it easy for him to be portrayed as the heroic figure of the piece. The only issue would be having seen the job Cinderella Man did on Baer one could only imagine how bad Sullivan would come out of the film looking.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:13 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Perhaps they'll just give it to the newly released Wesley Snipes.

I can see Daniel Day Lewis playing John L Sullivan as well.

He would love the method acting involved with that part.

He had the tashe nailed already in Gangs of New York, he is half way there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

Rowley wrote:

He had the tashe nailed already in Gangs of New York, he is half way there.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Knowing Dave's luck, they would get Christian Bale to overact the part.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:26 pm

Daniel Day Lewis? They'd be lucky to get Daniel Radcliffe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Daniel Day Lewis? They'd be lucky to get Daniel Radcliffe.

Idras Elba for Jackson Dave, solely because I can't think of any other black actors who are big units.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

Rowley wrote:

Idras Elba for Jackson Dave, solely because I can't think of any other black actors who are big units.
Eammon Walker? He played Muslim Leader Kereem Said in "Oz"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 1:49 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Eammon Walker? He played Muslim Leader Kereem Said in "Oz"

Never watched it Dave, you will never improve on the Judy Garland version for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

One of those great HBO series like "Sopranos" or "The Wire"

Definitely worth watching

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:06 pm

Anyway, Walker also played the gay homehelp in "In Sickness and in Health" I think Alf Garnett called him "Marigold"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:07 pm

Americans do those sorts of series so much better than we do. Loved the Sopranos, Wire and West Wing. Am currently ploughing through Breaking Bad on Netflix which is awesome, Sons Of Anarchy is next on the list.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

SOA is brilliant. Have to say I wasn't sold on Charlie Hunham but he's grown on me, still Ron Pearlman is great and the cast in pretty good throughout. However, since the arrival of my daughter, all tv watching has degenerated into "The Cuddlies" and "Rainbow Horse" (although Bobby's magic balloon house is great - the man's a balloon modelling genius!) and I haven't watched the last series yet (Danny Trejo's in it), but I'm off work next week and as t'little 'un is now at Nursery, I forsee plenty of catching up on my programmes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

Audley Harrison

Olympic gold medalist who came back from the brink, after a series of crushing defeats to be hevayweight champion of the world. Film title could be....

'Destiny'

This pretty much writes itself doesn't it Very Happy

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:58 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Audley Harrison

Olympic gold medalist who came back from the brink, after a series of crushing defeats to be hevayweight champion of the world. Film title could be....

'Destiny'

Who would play the drawing board?

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:04 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:Audley Harrison

'Destiny'

Who would play the drawing board?

Samuel L. Jackson, he'll appear in anything these days.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:08 pm

Would it be better as a musical? 'dancing to my tune' encapsulating the rhythm of his finest performances in both the ring and the dance floor.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:11 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Who would play the drawing board?

Sounds about Keanu Reeves' level, if he can just add a bit more fluidity to his 'acting.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:11 pm

milkyboy wrote:Would it be better as a musical? 'dancing to my tune' encapsulating the rhythm of his finest performances in both the ring and the dance floor.

Could get David Haye to play Audley in a bizzare twist. His big screen debut.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:18 pm

.. He doesn't want action roles... So it would fit the bill. Just need to work out who plays haye now, and the cast's sorted. Will smith? He can do smug.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

milkyboy wrote:.. He doesn't want action roles... So it would fit the bill. Just need to work out who plays haye now, and the cast's sorted. Will smith? He can do smug.
I know, he got several million dollars for "Hancock". Utterly dreadful film, didn't even touch on that bit in the "Blood Donor"

"It may be a drop to you mate but it's life of death to some of us!"

BTW, never rated Tony Hancock. He's very much like John Cleese in that I'm supposed to find him hilarious because he's been in some "classic comedy" but I just watch it and say "Meh!"

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm

Hancock was just the first of his type i think Dave... Seen the act so many times it doesn't look so funny to our generation.

That said, our generation finds Michael mcyntire amusing. Progress eh.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

milkyboy wrote:.. He doesn't want action roles... So it would fit the bill. Just need to work out who plays haye now, and the cast's sorted. Will smith? He can do smug.

Perfect choice for playing Audley then.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:34 pm

Err... that was my bad joke pedro. Get your own Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next