The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour

+21
jockneyboy
navyblueshorts
beninho
pedro
Diggers
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
JAS
Yadsendew
Faldono1fan
haystongolfer
Mercurio
Rossa
Davie
JDandfries
JPX
drive4show
Maverick
LadyPutt
hend085
liverbnz
KeizoYamata
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour Empty Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour

Post by KeizoYamata Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:59 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14392963.stm

Oh dear it was only a few months ago he said this?

“I tried it out last year and it didn’t quite work out for me. I love playing in the States and I love going over there and spending time there,” McIlroy said. “I’m never going to leave the European Tour. It’s my home tour. … I don’t think I’ll join [the PGA Tour] in the next couple years anyway."

Not only does he not like links golf he prefers the US golf courses. A big slap in the face of those Rory fans who have spent their whole time lambasting the US courses Laugh Lets wait and see if he quits the Dubai Tour. $eems like young Rory really has his $ights on one thing. I guess if he stays on the Dubai Tour we have the movers and shakers of Dubai to thank for keeping the tour alive me and making it attractive by throwing money to the tour and players alike.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour Empty Re: Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour

Post by liverbnz Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:22 am

Human-being in change of mind shocker!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour Empty Re: Rory back tracking again - now he wants to join PGA Tour

Post by hend085 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:26 am

Isn't there a rule saying you cant become a member for 5 years after quitting the tour?
anyone have any info on this?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

If you listen to the interview with Rory on the BBC website which was given after his press conference, he clarifies the point about moving to the States by saying he is simply "weighing up his options" and has not made any clear decision.

I'm a big fan of Rory both on and off the course but I do think that both his father Gerry, and his manager, Chubby, should take him aside and give him some coaching in not opening his mouth before engaging his brain. I know it's difficult in a press conference situation when you don't know what questions are going to be fired at you, but there's been a bit too much back-tracking recently. I'd hate to see him become a monosyllabic drone devoid of any personality but I'd like him to think a bit more before opening his mouth. He'll learn, as he gets older I suppose.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:34 am

hend085 wrote:Isn't there a rule saying you cant become a member for 5 years after quitting the tour?
anyone have any info on this?

That is true but that is superceded by the rule that any major winner can choose to take full time membership of the PGA tour within 60 days of their major glory or from the opening event of the following season. So basically from the champions event Rory is able to be a fully fledged PGA tour member again regardless of the 5 year rule

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

There is no reason why he can't be a member of both tours, not really an issue fitting in the relevant number of events with the 4 Majors and the WGC events . Only has to squeeze in a small number of other events and he's there.

Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill to me.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

Not sure why there's negative posts towards the author of this thread, as I must admit when I heard the news I was thinking along the same lines as the OP.

Thanks for my lifetime membership, I'm off to the PGA Tour.......again!

Never really been that sure of McIlroy, his Twitter and tour switching have tipped the balance for me.

If I were his dad or Chandler, I would definitely ban him from Twitter, he clearly doesn't know how to handle that media.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:55 am

As much as he does like to court attention, - I think Keizio has a point her, and it is pretty much along the same lines I am thinking.

Coco is only 22, and he is already managing to p1ss alot of people off.

Now I am not totally against him, yet, but his use of twitter, having a go at commentators, and getting involved in banter that doesnt involve him, is either misguided or just a bad attitude.

As present I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but stuff like this, edges me closer to disliking him!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:12 am

Off topic posts removed

No more please - debate the points or ignore the thread. And no more "I'm not going to post on this thread" posts please

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

JDandfries wrote:As much as he does like to court attention, - I think Keizio has a point her, and it is pretty much along the same lines I am thinking.

Now I am not totally against him, yet, but his use of twitter, having a go at commentators, and getting involved in banter that doesnt involve him, is either misguided or just a bad attitude.

As present I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but stuff like this, edges me closer to disliking him!
100% agree

(that's a first for me and JD!) Smile

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

JPX wrote:
JDandfries wrote:As much as he does like to court attention, - I think Keizio has a point her, and it is pretty much along the same lines I am thinking.

100% agree

(that's a first for me and JD!) Smile

It happens - not often, but it does
kiss

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Rory talks too much. What he say's isn't particulary interesting or infomative, it just makes him look daft... Its every tourament at the moment... all the Open Rubbish, then the Townsend Spat now this... he may change his mind again... he young and doesn't know what to do really, just acts and speaks on the spur of the moment... Just keep quiet and let the golf do the talking...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

LadyPutt wrote:If you listen to the interview with Rory on the BBC website which was given after his press conference, he clarifies the point about moving to the States by saying he is simply "weighing up his options" and has not made any clear decision.

I'm a big fan of Rory both on and off the course but I do think that both his father Gerry, and his manager, Chubby, should take him aside and give him some coaching in not opening his mouth before engaging his brain. I know it's difficult in a press conference situation when you don't know what questions are going to be fired at you, but there's been a bit too much back-tracking recently. I'd hate to see him become a monosyllabic drone devoid of any personality but I'd like him to think a bit more before opening his mouth. He'll learn, as he gets older I suppose.

Hear! hear! Lady Putt

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

I'm trying cut him a little more slack because it is easy to forget just how young he is. He's created his own problems by speaking very sensibly for 95% of the time, so when he fails you think he's being very stupid, when in reality, we probably need to give him credit for being such a good communicator for someone so young.

The reason I've had negativity towards him recently is because when he says the wrong things I think "Is he now saying what he really thinks?" which casts doubt as to how genuine the good things he says are.

Also, being very happy and open when things are going well and then being a git when things are not going so well is a horrible trait for a person to have as far as I'm concerned. You can get people like that whatever they do, but in a golfer, it really annoys me (there's one at my club who is like that). When I'm having a bad day, I try and remember the type of people I like to play with and it's never the club-throwers or the mood-shifters.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

I also have my doubts about Rory...yes I know he is young and naturally gregarious but the twitter spat with Jay Townsend was a bit much. Townsend is a sports commentator who was doing that in making a comment....Rory should rise above it and be the bigger man. Tiger Woods would never have gotten into that kind of public bear fight. As for playing in the States....thats where the money is and also where his new bird will be playing mostly. He loves the country and the weather in Florida is way better for practising.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

"Tiger Woods would never have gotten into that kind of public bear fight".........speechless censored

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

I've said it before, Rory will make mistakes..... as we all do. Just like his golf game; with experience he will improve and so will his media handling. Keizo is right in highlighting the contradiction and what Rory should learn from this, as Ladyputt alluded to, is that Twitter is an instant communication rope that can get tied around ones neck.

I suspect that the money aspect plays a very important part and he will be 'following instruction' from his advisors! in terms of his tour committments. For what it's worth, I still admire his defence of his caddy against the provocative Jay plank but think that he should learn and now move away and on from this type of communication.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

Anyone else had a mail saying " you have received this because you are watching a thread called Keizo bashing"
Just clicked on the link (out of curiosity of course) and got a "only users with special access can access this thread"

I'd like to point out I do NOT wish to join in bashing the Keizer, he's perfectly capable of doing that himself. I would also confirm that I am NOT a hater of anyone nor do I consider myself a bully because I don't want to contribute to a thread with an OP full of so many provocative misconceptions.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

The posts were split off and archived. You must've "subscribed" to the thread before it was split. Check your subscriptions under your profile

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

Are you not all blowing this out of proportion. He is moving to Florida as his girlfriend now lives there. Love changes a young man.

You all must be able to remeber how that feels. Hug
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Are you not all blowing this out of proportion. He is moving to Florida as his girlfriend now lives there. Love changes a young man.

You all must be able to remeber how that feels. Hug

Yeah, I mean he's been seeing her for ......weeks nearly.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:20 pm

Rory and his girlfriend split up. Maybe that's part of the story.

But yeah... since he's now life time member of the ET, why bother playing in Europe?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

He has a new girlfriend....the world No 1 tennis player Caroline Whatshername. Most tennis players live in and around Florida State.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

Who would not move to America to be with Wozniaki?? He may have been seeing her for only a few weeks but she seems worth taking the punt.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

You think Ben, she's pretty but has a bit of a masculine body, not my type. She's also 5 10" I think which would make her taller than Rory and that never looks good in a photo, especially when shes in a pair of heels.
Its all just a bit Hello magazine and childish really. All Twittery Twittery which to be honest makes me want to heave.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

Faldono1fan wrote:"Tiger Woods would never have gotten into that kind of public bear fight".........speechless censored

Obviously Tiger has had more than his fair share of bad press and public scorn recently but he would never have reacted to Jay Townsend the way that Rory did. His management team (IMG) were more savvy then. Tigers reaction to criticism was more considered .

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

Diggers wrote:Its all just a bit Hello magazine and childish really. All Twittery Twittery which to be honest makes me want to heave.

Laugh thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Twitter is nonesense, and everyone knows that when Joey Barton starts quoting nietzsche.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm

I quite fancy Mrs Federer - I reckon I could be in a very small group (of 2).

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by jockneyboy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

I notice Rory's 2 over after 5 holes at Firestone, who's he gonna get the cream puff with after today's round?

jockneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:53 pm

beninho wrote:Twitter is nonesense, and everyone knows that when Joey Barton starts quoting nietzsche.

Joey Barton is actually a very smart person. It's just a same he was liable to doing silly things earlier in his life. I've seen a few journalists write he's one of the brightest footballers they've come across.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by jockneyboy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

Smart......and prone to violence.

jockneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

jockneyboy wrote:Smart......and prone to violence.

I've not said otherwise - I was just countering Beninho's implication.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

Ive read a few things that say he is a bright guy, if a very complex one, but funnily enough quoting Nietzsche and Orwell on Twitter doesnt make him look smart, it makes him look like he is trying desperately to look smart.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

Diggers wrote:Ive read a few things that say he is a bright guy, if a very complex one, but funnily enough quoting Nietzsche and Orwell on Twitter doesnt make him look smart, it makes him look like he is trying desperately to look smart.

What does quoting Morrissey make him?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Not sure , depressed probably.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

Miserable now?
I think RM may have been a bit 'homesick' girlfriend and all but has cleared that now.No different to Casey,Poulter, Donald etc get a nice pad in the Florida sun and happy days.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

jockneyboy wrote:I notice Rory's 2 over after 5 holes at Firestone, who's he gonna get the cream puff with after today's round?

I see that too, I hope no one dares mention that he may have done something wrong during the round - dare to think how childish the reaction would be!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

It leaves a sour taste with me when British golfers/sportsmen move overseas, but still take the advantages of being British whilst paying their taxes to another country.

An extra reason to like Darren Clarke.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

Didnt Clarke play predominantly on the PGA tour for quite a few years ? No idea if he lived over there or not though.
Im sure they all run themselves as businesses and thus avoid paying as much tax as humanly possible. I kow thats what I do anyway.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:24 pm

Diggers wrote:Didnt Clarke play predominantly on the PGA tour for quite a few years ? No idea if he lived over there or not though.
Im sure they all run themselves as businesses and thus avoid paying as much tax as humanly possible. I kow thats what I do anyway.

But you do pay tax to HMRC and not the IRS, I assume.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

He's 2 under now with a birdie on the seventeenth, eagle on the second then further birdie on the third. Must be good course management I say!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by jockneyboy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:32 pm

JDandfries wrote:
jockneyboy wrote:I notice Rory's 2 over after 5 holes at Firestone, who's he gonna get the cream puff with after today's round?

I see that too, I hope no one dares mention that he may have done something wrong during the round - dare to think how childish the reaction would be!

He's two under now! Everythings rosy!

jockneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

Mercurio wrote:
Diggers wrote:Didnt Clarke play predominantly on the PGA tour for quite a few years ? No idea if he lived over there or not though.

Yes. Im just saying Im sure Clarke has a very good accountant and pays as little tax as he can and that its possible that he was paying the IRS when he was a member of their tour.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:53 pm

Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

Yes. Im just saying Im sure Clarke has a very good accountant and pays as little tax as he can and that its possible that he was paying the IRS when he was a member of their tour.

He would have been paying the IRS money on his prizemoney, but he remained UK resident during that time and would remain liable to tax in the UK.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:23 am

Is there not something a tad immoral about sportsmen or other rich people who domicile themselves in Monaco or USA so that they can avoid UK tax? Yes I know that they are entitled to do it and that it's not illegal but should they do it? I read somewhere recently that some big businessman saves £2million a year in tax by being domiciled in Monaco where there is no personal income tax.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

*Tax geek hat on*

Being domiciled somewhere is different to being resident there.

Lewis Hamilton is resident in Switzerland but he's not domiciled there. I was going to say he's domiciled in England, but with his dad being from Grenada, that may not be the case.

It's easier to become non UK resident for tax than it is to lose your UK domicile (strictly speaking there's no such thing as a UK domicile - it's England, Scotland, etc.).

And, yes, it is a bit immoral. If someone moves overseas for tax reasons, they should be stripped of their nationality.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:06 am

Mercurio wrote:*Tax geek hat on*

Being domiciled somewhere is different to being resident there.

Lewis Hamilton is resident in Switzerland but he's not domiciled there. I was going to say he's domiciled in England, but with his dad being from Grenada, that may not be the case.

It's easier to become non UK resident for tax than it is to lose your UK domicile (strictly speaking there's no such thing as a UK domicile - it's England, Scotland, etc.).

And, yes, it is a bit immoral. If someone moves overseas for tax reasons, they should be stripped of their nationality.

Alternatively, the UK should choose to tax all earnings of all UK citizens.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

I used to laugh ironically at the adverts fronted by Sir Sean Connery asking us all up here to vote SNP.... he hasn't lived here for a long time and I bet doesnt pay a lot of tax here either. I like his movies but what a cheek.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

Couldn't resist the tax talk.....

Mercurio wrote:Alternatively, the UK should choose to tax all earnings of all UK citizens.

The Treasury only very recently, as part of the consulation on the reform of the taxation of the non domiciled, released a statement saying they definitely wouldn't be taking the US route and doing this.

In situations like Clarke where he might play in the US he certianly will be paying taxes to the IRS before HMRC get a share, if any, but remember it's the same the other way round when foreign sports stars come here. In fact HMRC fairly recently changed their outlook on how they will attribute the UK share of worldwide earnings in this situation (for sportsmen, entertainers and the like) and it's actually quite harsh these days. Which is why you can't get the likes of Usain Bolt to come here.

I act for a few actors and it's the same for them
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:20 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:In fact HMRC fairly recently changed their outlook on how they will attribute the UK share of worldwide earnings in this situation (for sportsmen, entertainers and the like) and it's actually quite harsh these days. Which is why you can't get the likes of Usain Bolt to come here.

Or, keeping it about golfers, why Sergio doesn't play in the UK any more than the minimum.

Regarding the country where the prize money is earned having first dibs on the tax, that's irrelevant to the point I was making. Darren Clarke can't do anything about local country's tax laws. If he wins prize money there they have the right to take tax on it there. People can't have a problem with him going overseas to play because it's not as if he can earn the same money by playing solely in the UK.

The difference between Clarke and Poulter/Hamilton is that if there is any marginal tax due, it's going into the UK's coffers as well as any tax on savings/dividends or other sources he has. The UK will also get what's left of his money going through the economy.

MustPuttBetter wrote: I act for a few actors and it's the same for them
So, it's really you up there on the big screen! Shocked

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next