The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life After Stephen.....

+7
wales606
mckay1402
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
maestegmafia
CurlyOsp
welsh-matfield
11 posters

Go down

Life After Stephen..... Empty Life After Stephen.....

Post by welsh-matfield Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

following the world cup it seems likely that the great man, 100 capped twice british lion test fly-half Stephan Jones will retire from international rugby or more likely get phased out by warren Gatland in order to find the next bing thing to wear the fabled n.10 shirt. But who looks set to win the shirt?

[list][*] Dan Biggar - If he can strike up the sort of half-back partnership with Rhys Webb during the season as seen in glimpses last year he will be an outstanding n.10 for ospreys and wales for years to come. Was though very highly by the managment untill last Autumn, and he does have class written all over him.
*Jason Tovey - Baring he stays injury free and improves his much to be desired kicking Jason too will have all the talent to become a world class N.10. Tipped by Paul Turner and Darren Edwards as a future British Lion.
*Rhys Priestland - Looks set to be Stephan succesor at the Scarlets, But can Priestland follow in his footsteps at the highest level? Outstanding last year at regional level.

And longer term......
*Matthew Morgan - Next Barry John?
*Jordan Williams - Scarlets fans are constantly raving about this kid. Described as the welsh 'quade cooper' on the Scarlet fever Forum.
*Sam Davies - Son of Nigel and Wales under 18 N.10. Oustanding kicking game.
*Steven Shingler - left the Scarlets for Pastures new at London Irish. Described as a world class Kicker by llanelli coach anthony buchanan.
*Rhys Patchell - A Cardiff Blues N.10 was recently part of wales European grand Prix sevens squad.

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Life After Stephen..... Empty Re: Life After Stephen.....

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

Why stick to one? Biggar and Priestland seem to be leading the race and are both very different 10's.
Using both could give Wales the Plan B that we've been lacking over the past few years.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

Life after Stephen..... Cry

I'd say Tovey and Priestland are the best bets. Glad we've got so many options coming through though.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

Tovey looks like the player with the best credentials to me...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

Wellies has been a great servant but I'm not overly worried about losing him. I'd love to see James Hook be given a chance in there, with Tavis Knoyle supplying the passes,
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:58 am

Anybody who says Tovey has kicking issues hasn't really been following him. It's even been in the National press why he had problems. Tovey's goal kicking is just fine normally (don't make me write a FACT at the end of my sentences Wink). I am more than confident that Tovey will be back in his groove this season, as I have seen him being back in it at the end of last.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

I think that Tovey and Priestland will probably end up taking turns at being fly half and fullback for a little bit. However as much as I dislike Biggar I think that the future will be Tovey/Priestland or Biggar, with Tovey/Priestland being touted due to potential in attack (Hook), and Biggar being a more level and 'controlling' defensive fly half (Jones).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

For me Preistland is the next in line. He is a serious attacking threat and has a great rugby brain. if you look at the Scarlets tries of the season video he is involved in most of them at key points. very excited to see him grow into an international FH over the next season or two.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

You forgot a certain Perpignan based player...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

Wales606 - He has been mentioned
AlynDavies wrote:I'd love to see James Hook be given a chance in there, with Tavis Knoyle supplying the passes...
I guess it all depends with him (and maybe even Henson too) what role the club see for him in, if they play him at fly half then fine, but if they see him as a utility back then he can't be a realistic option for international fly half, as that sends the wrong signal out to the youngsters plying their trade at fly half.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:21 pm

There is also Steffan Jones....2nd highest points scorer in the premiership last year and now on a full time contract at the Dragons.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Anybody who says Tovey has kicking issues hasn't really been following him. It's even been in the National press why he had problems. Tovey's goal kicking is just fine normally (don't make me write a FACT at the end of my sentences Wink). I am more than confident that Tovey will be back in his groove this season, as I have seen him being back in it at the end of last.

I think once Tovey stays injury free for a while and gets int experience then hell be awesome. But risca do u see Tovey using the preseason to implement his new kicking technique or do u see him sticking to the old style he finished the season with?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

I think he'll stay as he was Smirnoff. I don't think he really needs to worry about long range so much.

Now the discussion about him remaining fit is fair. Hopefully he'll not have as many niggles this season (though he was pretty unlucky last season and often rushed back).

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

I hope he does too, but we had that problem at the Scarlets the last 2(3?) seasons where our players kept getting injuries but we couldn't leave them out for a sustained period to get fit coz we didn't have the strength in depth, and coz of the WC I get the feeling the Dragons may be the same, if Tovey gets a niggle or an injury early on then you'll be needing to getting him back into the team as soon as possible.

But fingers crossed as he is an exciting player

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm

I think Tovey has kicking problems. Hook seems to be the best choice for me,even with a terrible backs coach when Hook has played out half the Welsh backs have at least created some things.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

Matthew Jones didn't do too bad after the New Year and Steffan Jones can step up to ten if required. There shouldn't be a need to rush Tovey if he gets a niggle again. Hopefully anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm

I forgot about Steffan to be honest

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

In the 200910 season, Tovey's kicking was in the 90% category. He kicked 23 consecutive successful goals. Last season glue put down his static kicking to a change in technique.
If he does get his kicking boots on again and he showed signs of it at the end of the season, I'm willing to give Tovey the benefit of the doubt. He's a class player,with typical outside half cheek. He has great vision and i's great kicking out of hand.
As was mentioned. The dragons also have steffan jones. Like Tovey did a few years ago. He has stated his desire to play 10. All this bodes well for the national team.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 06 Aug 2011, 12:03 am

Im sure toveys kickin will b back around the 90% mark if he doesnt get injurd,niggling or otherwise.As u say he showed a lot better form and kicking towards the end of last season

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down