The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka

5 posters

Go down

Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka Empty Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka

Post by msp83 Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:48 am

So the Australian tour of Sri Lanka has started off with a T-20I defeat.
The Lankan captain Tillakaratne Dilshan led from the front, and cracked 104 of just 57 balls. He had fine support from Jeevan Mindis and Kumar Sangakkara.
The Lankan bowling unit, missing Lasit Milinga, then gave room for the Australian batters, and other than David Warner, no of the Aussy top order made a major contribution.
Rangana Herath and the new boy Perera gave enough of an indication as to the fact that life among the Lankan slow bowlers will be very challenging as the tour goes on.
What do you think of Australia's chances in Lanka?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka Empty Re: Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

how did herath bowl?

Back to top Go down

Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka Empty Re: Australians Have Their Task Cut Out in Lanka

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

cricketfan90 wrote:how did herath bowl?

Herath bowled well took a wicket and only went for around 3/4 a over. Should of been given the chance to bowl 4 overs.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by activereactive Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

That was a good match, oNLY IF, IF, IF, IF Warner had stayed longer at the crease.

(And that silly run out 🤦

activereactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

If Warner had of stayed in Australia were in with a chance
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

Well played Dilshan though. Looks like the poor form he had in England is well behind him
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by activereactive Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:47 am

Liam_Main wrote:Well played Dilshan though. Looks like the poor form he had in England is well behind him

Whistle Real tiger at home. Whistle

activereactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

activereactive wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:Well played Dilshan though. Looks like the poor form he had in England is well behind him

On flat Sri Lanka pitches i'm sure he can score runs Whistle
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

the aussies didnt bowl o'keefe and smith ou, yet they were only going at 6 an over, they onnly bowled 3 overs each

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Yet they bowled Johnson who was going at 11 a over
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

johnson is awful lol, he is a better batsman then he is a bowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

Dilshan was smacking him to all parts.

Australia will just stick with him till he comes good like they've done in the past. I can't see him being in there for his batting especially when O'Keefe and Hastings are in the side.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

hastings is very underrated

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

I think James Pattinson is. A very rare young Fast bowler with bags loads of talent could be a star in the future.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

i also think that haurtiz should be in the side to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

I wouldn't say Steve Smith is good enough to be there 2nd choice Spinner

Last edited by Liam_Main on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

he isnt playing in the tests

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

Yeah I know i'm talking about the T20 and One-Day side:P
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

o'keefe is no1 spinenr in limited overs in sri lanka lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

Didn't mean to put 1st choice Spinner, i'll edit that:P
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

lol no worries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

the aussies will face a period now, where they will lose games purely for the fact they have no greats anymore apart from punter, or having to grind out results which they are not used to doing..

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 07 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

It's all about rebuilding now for Australia.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

i think the aussies need to stop comparing every spinner to warne, warne was a one off and doubt there will ever be someone as good as him again

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:50 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think the aussies need to stop comparing every spinner to warne, warne was a one off and doubt there will ever be someone as good as him again

thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

i think that also steve smith was harshly dropped from the test side, i know he hasnt looked totally convincing, but if you keep dropping someone from the side without giving them an extended run, they wont get any better

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think that also steve smith was harshly dropped from the test side, i know he hasnt looked totally convincing, but if you keep dropping someone from the side without giving them an extended run, they wont get any better

I am a firm believer that one must correct his mistakes rather than trying to prove that they were never mistakes in the first place.Picking Smith for Tests was clearly a mistake and the Aus selectors have realised it.And they have done the right thing by accepting their mistake and dropping him rather than trying desperately to prove that he is ready for Tests coz he clearly isnt.
A season or two of Sheffield Shield Cricket wont do him any harm.He will definitely be back in the Test side.Until then he can play T20Is for Australia thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

i think clarke will be under pressure stragiht away as he was horribly out of form bfor he got the captaincy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

Liam_Main wrote:
activereactive wrote:

Didn't he score 193 against the English attack in a test match? Then he got injured, and then had a poor ODI series. Doesn't mean he can only score on flat tracks.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

Mitch Johnson is a match winner on his day. The fact though is that such days would invariably be followed by many more atrocious ones. Don't think Australia can afford to drop him as yet, as they lack the kind of fire power and sharpness that they had earlier. Bollinger has had fitness issues, and Ryan Harris is mostly injured. Siddle gives his all, but doesn't have a great deal in him other than pace. And who's going to be their next spinner? we just don't know.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 07 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

msp83 wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:
activereactive wrote:

Tbh the Lord's track for that match was flatter than most of the subcontinent pitches.And that hundred was only his 2nd hundred outside the subcontinent(the other one being in Zimbabwe)
This to me suggests that he can score only on flat tracks.

Didn't he score 193 against the English attack in a test match? Then he got injured, and then had a poor ODI series. Doesn't mean he can only score on flat tracks.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 07 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

msp83 wrote:

Tbh the Lord's track for that match was flatter than most of the subcontinent pitches.And that hundred was only his 2nd hundred outside the subcontinent(the other one being in Zimbabwe)
This to me suggests that he can score only on flat tracks.His averages in SA and Australia are ordinary.And his average in England barring that big hundred on a flat track is also nothing to write home about.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

Nathan bracken didnt play enough one day games for australia, considering he is ther 3rd highest one day wicket taking bowler in history for australia

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
msp83 wrote:

This to me suggests that he can score only on flat tracks.His averages in SA and Australia are ordinary.And his average in England barring that big hundred on a flat track is also nothing to write home about.

Dilshan post his transformation as an opener has been a different player. till then, his career has been a stop start affair, no fixed batting positions, being forced to slog away at the end of ODI matches, shifted around in the test line up. Don't think he has played many matches in SA and Aus after he started opening the innings in all formats.
In England, Dilshan scored runs in all of Lanka's practice matches as well, where not many of his team mates did that well, except his opening partner Tharanga Paranaavitana.
So I think to present him just as a flat track bully is a touch unfair.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

the aussie test players also moaning that they getting paid less then the ones picked to play big bash

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

lol wonder how long michael clarke will last as captain

Back to top Go down

Post by longhopmerchant Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

I think the Test series will be pretty close, as SL don't have any top grade spinners. I think Randiv is awesome, but he's still pretty new to Test cricket.

Australia need to ensure that when a batsman gets a start they get a big hundred, in recent times we have been guilty of being happy with a nice 50, rather than grinding out a big 100.

longhopmerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:23 am

2nd t20 starts thid atfernoon should be intresting.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:29 am

cricketfan90 wrote:2nd t20 starts thid atfernoon should be intresting.

SL should win this one.

Mahela Jayawardene missed out the other day so he is due for a big one.He rarely fails twice in a row as an opener in home conditions.
Come on SL

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:30 am

the tests will be very intresting, the aussies dont have a decent spinner, and only clarke can really play spin well

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:33 am

cricketfan90 wrote:the tests will be very intresting, the aussies dont have a decent spinner, and only clarke can really play spin well

Mike Hussey?He made Swann look ordinary in the Ashes.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:35 am

hmm yh i suppose, but that still only 2 players out of 11 lol

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

CF
Its only 1.Hussey.Clarke isnt as good against spin as is being made out.He will struggle on turning tracks IMO.
SL should produce raging turners and go with 3 spinners
Herath,Randiv and Senenayke.Senenayke has an excellent f/c record.He took wickets for SL A on a non turning track the other day so I wonder what he will do on turning tracks.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

what happened to places like adelaide and sydney, they used to prepare the aussies for turning wickets at them places but now there is nothing for the spinners there lol..

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

cricketfan90 wrote:what happened to places like adelaide and sydney, they used to prepare the aussies for turning wickets at them places but now there is nothing for the spinners there lol..

Thats bcoz they had Warnie.
Now why would they prepare turning wickets?
Atm each and every Test side including Zimbabwe have better spinners than Australia lol.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

lol it dosent help that the aussie selectors are useles lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down