The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer

4 posters

Go down

West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer Empty West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 9:02 am

Former Aston Villa striker John Carew has joined Championship side West Ham United on a free transfer.

The 31-year-old, 6ft 5in Norwegian striker, who scored twice in 13 games on loan at Stoke last term, became a free agent after being freed by Villa.

"I am very happy to sign for such a big club," he told the West Ham website.

"I am so pleased to be here and am looking forward to being part of a good team here that will bring this great club back up to the Premier League."

Carew's registration was not completed in time for him to play in West Ham's opening Championship match against Cardiff on Sunday.

The powerful forward, who has been given the number 11 shirt at Upton Park, passed a medical before he was confirmed as West Ham's fifth signing of the summer.

He has scored 23 goals in 88 appearances for the Norwegian national side, and netted 52 goals in 133 matches for Villa.

His strike-rate in the FA Cup was particularly impressive, as he scored 11 times in 10 games.

Carew joined Villa from Lyon in 2007 and was a key member of their side under former manager Martin O'Neill.

But injury has prevented the striker from making an impact last season while his relationship with O'Neill's successor Gerard Houllier was strained, with the pair arguing in the press in 2010.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14433669.stm

Another good signing for the Hammers IMO, Carew is a striker I think could still have done an alright in the Premiership, West Ham are building themselves a nice little squad, and at the moment still have some of their decent players like Scott Parker and Noble.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer Empty Re: West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer

Post by jimbohammers Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

Happy with the signing, we still need a goalscorer though!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer Empty Re: West Ham sign John Carew on a free transfer

Post by Trebs Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

Think he's a good player, he struggled a bit at Villa but maybe with a fresh start he'll be able to impress.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

jimbohammers wrote:Happy with the signing, we still need a goalscorer though!
Thats kind of the point of signing strikers, his strike rate for Aston Villa was 1 goal every 2.557... games meaning he should score about 17 or 18 goals if he manages to play the 46 league games. If he managed to stay fit I think he could prove himself to be a very good free signing.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

I think he's an adequate replacement for Demba Ba to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

mixed feelings about this signing..

good thats its a free transfer, but is he really gonna get us 15-20 goals a seaosn?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Can you think of anybody better who was available for free? I thought West Ham fans would be really pleased with this signing, like I said, I think he could still a decent enough job in the Premier League so should do well in the Championship. I can see him bagging around 15 goals for you as long as he stays fit.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

like i said good its a free, but dont see him scoring enough goals

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

A good strong physical presence in front of goal is exactly what's needed in the Championship. I think its a cracking signing for the Hammers. As a Leeds fan I would be over the moon if we had got him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:like i said good its a free, but dont see him scoring enough goals

Derby pointed this out:

his strike rate for Aston Villa was 1 goal every 2.557... games meaning he should score about 17 or 18 goals if he manages to play the 46 league games.

If that's in the Premier League, if he can hit form and gets some good contribution he could score at least 15 goals.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

yes IF he manages to play all the games he is injury prone..

ANYWAY

if u look i did say its a good free transfer, good as in didnt have to pay money

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

I'm just surprised you don't think it's a good deal that's all.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

i said mixed feelings about it, not good not bad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 07 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I'm just surprised you don't think it's a good deal that's all.
I agree I think he can be productive in the Championship, the only question mark is his health, but he has passed the medical and injuries can happen to anyone.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

It was only really last year he struggled with injuries though, 133 matches in four years hardly seems injury prone.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 07 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

It's the injuries that happen in the more recent past that should be the bigger worries, but he did still manage 20 appearances last season despite the injuries, and like I said anyone can get injured and he has managed to pass the medical so he should be in decent shape.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

He was alright at Villa during the start, but got lazy on the pitch towards the end of his spell. I expect West Ham will be paying him huge wages with a hefty signing on fee because they didn't pay a transfer fee.

Could be good upfront with Piquionne if Nolan/Parker/Noble/Taylor create for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

hmmm have to wait and see

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down