The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale

+2
Crimey
Fernando
6 posters

Go down

arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale  Empty arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale

Post by Fernando Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

Arsenal have been alerted by Werder Bremen's announcement that they are willing to listen to offers for captain Per Mertesacker.

The giant centre-back has been linked with a move to the Emirates Stadium for several years and manager Arsene Wenger may now attempt to complete a deal.

Mertesacker has entered the final year of his contract at Bremen, who made a winning start to their new Bundesliga campaign on Saturday but were embarrassingly dumped out of the German Cup in the first round against lower league opposition.

And, having struggled to meet valuations of Everton's Phil Jagielka and Blackburn's Chris Samba, Arsenal could therefore think a bid in the region of £6million would have a good chance of signing the 26-year-old Germany international.

Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs is quoted as saying in The People: "We are willing to discuss a transfer for Per.

"We have promised him we will listen to serious offers."

source: sky sports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale  Empty Re: arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm

I think he'd be a better option than Samba to be honest. I miss having some tough German players in the league as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale  Empty Re: arsenal alerted after mertesacker put up for sale

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I think he'd be a better option than Samba to be honest. I miss having some tough German players in the league as well.

Am not so sure. Samba is more athelitc and suits the Prem more. Per seems lethargic and I wouldnt say he is much better in the air then Samba. Although he is 6"7

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

I think Samba is seriously overrated, I've spoken to a fair number of Blackburn fans about him as well and none of them think he's that special.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Probably to soften the blow of his envitible move?

They would miss him if he went, especially with Jones gone. Who would replace him?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

I wouldn't mind either as long as they are at a reasonable price. It says a lot that a German international and captain can go for £6m or so at 26 (I know his contract is coming to an end), yet some English defenders for mid table sides can apparently ask for £20m

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

Having lived in Germany on and off and watched a fair bit of live and telvised Bundesliga action, I would rate Per as a better player than Samba a lot more comfortable with the ball.

But as said above amazing 6million can get the German captain compared to some of the over inflated prices for british players

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

Personally I think Samba is quality. He's commanding which is something Arsenal need, had a great season last season and can shift quite a bit for such a huge guy, strong in the air something else Arsenal need, powerful, used to the Premier League and gives everything every game... Mertesacker is pretty good though but would prefer Samba personally, not that I even like Arsenal!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down