The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ring Magazine, February 1988

5 posters

Go down

The Ring Magazine, February 1988 Empty The Ring Magazine, February 1988

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

In February of 1988, Ring Magazine had an article listing 12 fights that they most wanted to see at that time.

The list, along with the predictions of Nigel Collins and Phil Marder, was as follows:

1. Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks - Ring Magazine regarded Spinks as the true Heavyweight champion at this point in time, and wanted the title to be unified (in their eyes at least), despite Mike Tyson already holding the WBA, WBC and IBF versions of the title.

Nigel Collins: Tyson by close decision, prompting a rematch.
Phill Marder: Tyson by TKO6 on cuts.

2.Tony Tucker vs Evander Holyfield

Nigel Collins: Holyfield by decision over 10 rounds, or stoppage if scheduled for 12 rounds or more.
Marder: Holyfield by stoppage.

3. Pernell Whitaker vs Meldrick Taylor - The two speedsters of their time, Taylor had recently had trouble coping with Howard Davis Jr's boxing skills whilst fighting to a draw, whereas Whitaker had shown his own vulnerability when getting knocked down and hurt by Roger Mayweather.

Collins: Taylor by decision after scoring a knockdown.
Marder: Whitaker by decision based on his outside boxing ability (which had given Taylor problems against Davis).

4. George Foreman vs Mike Weaver

Collins: Foreman by early TKO to set up match with the winner of Tyson vs Spinks.
Marder: Weaver by early stoppage.

5. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvin Hagler - it is interesting to note that Ring believed there was virtually no chance of this rematch happening. The reasons being that Leonard (at this point) had only ever rematched Duran, a man that beat him, whilst offering no rematches to his conquests, and also that it would have been a non-title affair. Ring believed that Leonard should have the decency to afford Hagler a rematch, and over the 15 round distance, considering that Hagler had bowed to Leonard's demands first time out.

Collins: Leonard on cuts
Marder: Leonard on cuts

6. Darrin Van Horn vs Matt Hilton - for the IBF strap at 154lbs. Ring believed that regardless of the belt being up for grabs, or the distance which this fight would be scheduled, that it should be made purely due to the fact that it involved two top young fighters in a close matchip, giving the winner contender status at Middleweight (Ring only recognised 8 divisions at this moment in time).

Collins: Hilton by early stoppage
Marder: Hilton by stoppage

7. Winner of upcoming Edwin Rosario/Julio Cesar Chavez vs Jose Luis Ramirez - The winner would be recognised as the true Lightweight world champion (Rosario was ranked #1 at this time, with Chavez #2 and Ramirez #5).

Collins: Rosario/Chavez winner to outpoint Ramirez
Marder: Chavez by decision, Rosario by stoppage.

8. Fidel Bassa/Myung Woo Yuh - Bassa was the WBA Flyweight champion at this time, with Yuh being the WBA Light-Flyweight champion. The winner would provide a serious challenge for the linear Flyweight world champion Sot Chitalada.

Collins: Yuh by late stoppage in a classic
Marder: Bassa by KO11

9. Khaosai Galaxy vs winner of Sugar Baby Rojas/Happy Lora - Galaxy was the WBA Junior-Bantamweight belt holder, with Lora as the WBC Bantamweight belt holder. The winner of this round robin would be the true Bantamweight world champion.

Collins: Lora has the all around class to beat both Galaxy and Rojas.
Marder: Lora beats both.

10. Sot Chitalada vs Jung Koo Chang - Ring suggested that this would be the greatest ever oriental matchup, with Chitalada having the opportunity to surpass the greatness of Pone Kingpetch.

Collins: Jung Koo Chang
Marder: Chitalada by 12 round decision, Chang by decision if it were over 15 rounds

11. Jeff Fenech/Azumah Nelson vs Antonio Esparragoza - Ring saw Esparragoza as the true Featherweight champion, with Nelson and Fenech close behind, and talked of a round robin between the three.

Collins: Esparragoza by decision against both Nelson and Fenech
Marder: Nelson by late KO over Esparragoza, but Fenech to win overall

12. Frank Tate vs Mike McCallum - Tate had recently looked great in winning a 15-round decison over Mike Olajide, whereas McCallum had brutally stopped Donald Curry.

Collins: McCallum can punch, but Tate can box and punch. Tate by wide decision
Marder: Tate, regardless of how McCallum fights.

I think you'll agree that it is interesting to see such an article from Ring, and it highlights the fact that it isn't just today's boxing scene where many matchups are called for by the boxing fans, only to never come to fruition. Ring did get their wish in some instances, but what are your thoughts on the outcomes of those matchups above that never happened?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The Ring Magazine, February 1988 Empty Re: The Ring Magazine, February 1988

Post by The Pugilist Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

Great article. Cheers for posting.
The Pugilist
The Pugilist

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Thanks for sharing, Fists. Very interesting.

Retrospect is a wonderful thing, I suppose! Fully understandable that nobody really predicted that Tyson would have such an easy time of it against Spinks, although it's surprising (to me, anyway) that they think Leonard would have got the better of Hagler for a second time, and by cuts too, which baffles me a little. Not sure that Leonard would be in any position to cut Marvin up - if he thought he had to spend a lot of time defending on the back foot first time out, that would be nothing compared to what he'd have to do in a second bout against a Hagler who would be keen not to make the same mistakes (coasting early on, letting Leonard settle by fighting orthodox for long periods) as he did that night in 1987.

As for the ones that didn't happen, well I'll chuck my hat in with my takes on them.

Holyfield-Tucker, 1988. Oddly enough, in that particular year, I think this may have been a step too far a little too quick for Holyfield after leaving the Cruiserweight division. It took a while for the 'Real Deal' to become the finished article north of 190 lb, particularly in terms of defence. I can see Tucker winning a decision had Holyfield fought him immediately after moving up.

Whitaker-Taylor is a very, very difficult one. I'm not sure that their mix of styles would really make for a good fight, either. I'd probably say that Whitaker wins going away; Taylor was comfortable on the back foot too, don't get me wrong, but too often showed a lack of discipline, marching forward (which suits 'Sweet Pea') and playing in to their hands. Whitaker on points.

I see Foreman absolutely blowing Weaver away, just as he had done at any stage of their respective careers. Weaver had nothing in the shape of defence and was far too small to survive a slug fest with 'Big George.' Foreman takes him out inside four rounds.

Hagler doesn't make the same mistake twice against Leonard, for me. Leonard backpeddles all night but Hagler maintains a higher workrate than he originally did against him and clubs Leonard to a comfortable points win, as Norris did three years later.

I'd back Hilton to stop Van Horn late on, basically due to him being more experienced at the highest level at that stage. Not much in it and can't say I'm too fussed that we never saw it.

Would pick Myung Woo Yuh to outscore Bassa. Fantastic though they were, the fights with McAuley showed a vulnerability to Bassa which Yuh would have exploited. Too fresh and rounded for Bassa, I reckon.

Galaxy started his career at Bantamweight, I believe, but as we all know found sublime success when he squeezed himself down to 115 lb later on. The fact that he never stepped back up makes it difficult to gauge how he'd get on against the (very marginally, admittedly) bigger men. However, my gut feeling is that he'd have carried that thunderous right cross up with him and beaten both Lora and Rojas by stoppage.

I can see Tate outscoring McCallum who, while still a very capable 160 lb fighter, never quite performed there like he had done down at Light-Middleweight. I think Tate's ability to stick and move spells all kind of trouble for 'The Bodysnatcher', who seemed to often get by on worktate alone at the higher weights. Tate is too rounded and clever for me, and wins by two or three rounds.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

This can't be true. All fights that fans wanted happened in the past, it's only in the modern era where not every fight happens.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the response, Chris, some very good takes on those fights that never happened.

Have to say I'm in agreement regarding Hagler and Leonard II. Marvin made a very baffling move by going orthodox early on in that first fight, which ultimately cost him the decision. As you say, I can't see a repeat of that, and his constant pressure, along with the threat of his power, keeps Leonard going backwards and sees him to a close but comfortable points win.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

Interesting stuff Fists.

I have a feeling those two might have misread the Tyson - Spinks fight just slightly, and to be fair this is proving that a lot of big fights didn't happen back in the good old days also. Though I think it is more apparent now.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down