The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf's greatest closers

+10
JAS
Noshankingtonite
Doon the Water
John Cregan
hend085
drive4show
George1507
kwinigolfer
Maverick
shclaff
14 posters

Go down

Golf's greatest closers Empty Golf's greatest closers

Post by shclaff Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

Having been impressed by Adam Scott’s final round at Firestone, I was thinking about how difficult it must be to ‘close out’ a pro tournament when going into the final day in the lead.

Normally this sort of debate centres around the guys who fall apart on the final round or final hole but I was wondering, who are golf’s greatest closers? The guys and girls who were/are notoriously good at leading from the front, and not letting their advantage slip? And how about you guys, do you consider yourself good or bad at maintaining a lead?

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Golf's greatest closers Empty Re: Golf's greatest closers

Post by Maverick Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

Love him or Loathe him greatest closer in the modern game Tiger Woods. (but steve williams would have you believe it was him doing the closing)

As for myself, i;d say my closure rate is pretty good

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:44 pm

Woods, whoever the caddie.

Second part of question not applicable as I never have a lead.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

Unless you are playing in big amateur events - over 36 holes or more - how do you know whether you are in the lead?

They don't have leader boards at my club for the monthly medal.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:34 pm

Agreed, Woods is unsurpassed in the modern era for getting the job done.

I'm generally not too bad at closing out, come back from bad positions a few times in matchplay to sneak a win. Although I was once 4 up with 5 play play and finished par, par, bogey, par par to lose the match to birdie, birdie, par, birdie, birdie!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

heard a stat last night that Scott is now 6 wins from 8 having lead after 54 holes. thats a pretty impressive stat in anyones book.
post the TW era the only good closer i can think off in the mens game is Martin Kaymer.
I'd rank myself alongside Jean Van De Velde as a closer Smile
i used to be pretty good at it but I lack the short game confidence these days!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

Zach Johnson, Steve Stricker are good at closing things...................
Jason Day will be...............................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:56 pm

Well said George.
When I could play I used to be pretty good at working out what score would win a 36 holer.
Won about 4 or 5 in my prime and each time I was spot on except for one occassion when I thought I was well in the lead. I was cruising the last four holes thinking 4 pars would win it. Finished with three birdies and a par and got the shock of my life to find that I had won by a shot.
Another biggish 18 hole event at a championship course my pal came out to tell me on the 16th tee that three pars will win it. I was second last off.
Finished par double double. So not such a good finisher there eh.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Well said George.
When I could play I used to be pretty good at working out what score would win a 36 holer.
Won about 4 or 5 in my prime and each time I was spot on except for one occassion when I thought I was well in the lead. I was cruising the last four holes thinking 4 pars would win it. Finished with three birdies and a par and got the shock of my life to find that I had won by a shot.
Another biggish 18 hole event at a championship course my pal came out to tell me on the 16th tee that three pars will win it. I was second last off.
Finished par double double. So not such a good finisher there eh.

mad That really bl00dy annoys me. I had a well-meaning playing partner keep nudging me in last Friday's Stableford and whispering; your doing really well [you bald scrote] another 3 good holes and you're definitely going to win today and you'll get a handicap cut definitely. Result; double, bogey, bogey, blobby - 35 pts very average, do not past go, thank you very freeking much Hug you well-meaning f***er
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:58 pm

no shanks.
On that occasion I didn't really mind as that was more or less where I thought I was. I always used to try and live in the present on a golf course.
The dropped shots were down to bad luck rather than bad play.
Something that I had a hard job explaining to my faither that night as he thought that I had bottled it.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

Woods was/is a great closer, Nicklaus was none too shabby either although most of the time he would charge from behind so probably only had closing pressure over the last few holes most of the time.

Good point made earlier, in medals/drawn events you don't really have a clue and I've never been in contention after 18 of 36, so in that format I don't know, all I will say is that I have won a big drawn event and a couple of medals on countback which means in theory that I've had a strong back 9 whilst on a good score. In matchplay though I'm certainly not prone to losing a lead (in singles, 4somes & 4bbb) only very very very rarely have I/we lost after leading at the turn.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm

I came second in a stableford 18 hole event a week or so ago. I pretty much knew, given the conditions, that I was there or there abouts, and although I didn't 'know' I needed to hole my 10 footer on the last to win (hit it where I saw it but it was a bad read), I wasn't at all surprised to find out I'd lost on countback despite 20 points on the way back. I think we all know what constitutes a good score given the conditions on the day, don't we?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

SmithersJones wrote:I think we all know what constitutes a good score given the conditions on the day, don't we?

Agreed. Even if you don't know for sure you've got a pretty good idea if you're in the running.

I don't even think 'closing' has to apply to comps - how about when you're on track for a PB? Or your a few holes away from winning some cash? I must admit I've made several double bogeys on the 18th when it mattered. Part of me knows that if I was a pro I'd probably be a Van De Velde Crying or Very sad .

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 10 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

Agree, Tiger is in a league of his own.

hend085 wrote:I'd rank myself alongside Jean Van De Velde as a closer Smile!
If we were to make a list of bad closers, it would contain Vande Velde (only one occasion though), Dustin Johnson, plus most English tour players.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:55 am

Always thought Faldo was a good closer. He had that ability to grind out pars to win majors. I always kinda liked the guy as well.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Faldo had the mentality and you can't look past Woods over the recent generation of players. As someone has already mentioned, Kaymer would be my tip for the next best "closer" in the pro game. When he gets a sniff of the lead he just seems to be so ruthless and his naturally consistent game is ideal to turn to when the pressure's on.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

I have always thought that Faldo and Scumacher were hewn from the same block of wood. Both driven and focused to win and caring not a jot about popularity from peers of public.

Both great champions but sometimes overly inward looking

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down