The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era

+14
Grizzly
Calf
uberfunction
Cheesehead United
Pekchenko
Gaelic-Warrior
asdral225
AquaArab
skins4ever
Pr4wn
LonelyDarth
Luke
FootballOasis&Hatton
Brady12
18 posters

Go down

Since 81 who has been the best Quarterback in the NFL?

Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap42%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 14 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap9%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap3%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap3%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap0%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap12%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap12%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_lcap9%Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 33

Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Empty Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era

Post by Brady12 Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:44 am

Yes one that's probably been done to death elsewhere but if someone put a gun to your head & said who's the best qb on the last 25-30 years who would you say & a decent reason why....

I'm discounting anyone prior to the early to mid eighties as there's not enough footage of these guys

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Empty Re: Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era

Post by FootballOasis&Hatton Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Toss up between Montana and Marino for me. Both class acts. Went for Montana

Dont think Favre, Warner, Brady and Mannings achievements will be truly appreciated til a good 5-10 years after theyve retired

FootballOasis&Hatton

Back to top Go down

Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Empty greatest qb.

Post by Luke Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Elway for me, qaulity player.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era Empty Re: Who is the greatest quarterback of the British Television Coverage era

Post by LonelyDarth Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:40 pm

It was between Favre and Aikmen, and the way Favre ended his career with a whimper swung it Aikmen's way.

LonelyDarth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Montana for me.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Who put Phil Simms on the list? Good QB but not a patch on at least 1/2 dozen of the rest.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaArab Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Marino for me. He is the reason I started supporting the Phins.

AquaArab

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 am

Being a Giants fan I thought Simms was a strange inclusion although I can see why, he did set numerous records in SBXXI I think some of them may stiil stand today possibly passer rating, consecutive completions & % completions 22 of 25 with two dropped passes.
I think Montana shades it for me
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 am

I made the list.... Who would you guys of had instead of Simms?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:08 am

Bradshaw? Underrated imho and he has four rings...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Bradshaw was before the UK TV era, hence 'doesn't qualify'. But good call, nonetheless. Smile

Instead of Simms? What about Kosar? Not his fault he played on a poor Browns team most of his career, and Ernest Byner's fumble cost him a SB appearance, not his own actions.

How about Warren Moon? Again great player on a poor team.

Drew Bledsoe? Holds a lot of records.

If you put Simms on there for winning a SB, what about Drew Brees?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 pm

Was between Montana & Marino for me- Joe just edged it. I've got to admit the biased Giant fan in me was very tempted to say phil simms Wink
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 am

Think you guys are nit picking a little... Moon? yeah I guess there's an argurment for him but if you want a token black guy I'll go with Randall Cunningham. Bledsoe? Are you serious? Most of his records are stuff like most attempts & most completions have all need is no running game to get them!

Kosar? Presume your a Browns fan

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:54 pm

I may be a bit biased being a Dolphins fan, but i have to plump for Marino. Montana's weapons on offense were amazing. Marino had decent receivers in the Marks brothers, but Montana's offense was so well balanced with guys like Rice, Craig and Taylor- three legends in their own right.Is it any wonder that Steve Young put up such amazing numbers when he took over? Don't get me wrong, i always rated him, but felt he was a level below a Marino, Montana, Brady or Manning as the voting seems to suggest here

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Don't know many QB from 80's or early 90's. Obviously heard of Montana and Marino though but other than that it was Favre in late 90's, so I would have to vote for Payton Manning but only because i never watched the others!

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Brady12 - Yeah, I'm a Browns fan with this screen name... Wink

Moon isn't a token suggestion, he was a very prolific QB on a very poor team. Same with Kosar. The topic is who do you think is the best, not who was the most successful.

Any QB who gets to play in the NFL for any length of time has to be damned good at what he does, so whether a SB winner or not, any of them that lasted and put up the right numbers should be considered a justified candidate.

Pekchenko - Young was lighting up the USFL before it folded and he joined the NFL. Had he not gone to the Buccs first, he'd have probably had even more success. He was a fantastic athlete - a QB in a running backs body - and whilst he had Rice to throw to and Craig in the backfield, anyone who knows the game will tell you 1 great receiver/RB on your team isn't a guarantee of QB success. As for Taylor, barring a few good years with the 49ers and that SB catch, he was an average receiver.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:43 pm

This is my point skins- Marino pretty much spent his entire without any great players with him on offense. He certainly never had a consistent RB- guys like Lorenzo and Hampton and Sammy Smith came along in the hope that they would but it never really fully materialised. It sounds like i'm down on Steve Young, which i'm not, but i really don't feel he would have posted the same numbers in the Miami team Marino carried all those years. Montana was a great quarterback no doubt, and the superbowl rings are testament to that, but sometimes i feel you have to look further into the team you performed in, again seen by many rating Troy Aikmen above Marino which i feel is clouded by his superbowl success.

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

I see where you are coming from, but Young would have added an element Marino never could - a highly mobile QB.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:21 pm

I would say, if you would put Simms in there, I believe Kosar and definitely Warren Moon need to be up there. But them as the best? That's a long shot in that era. Montana, Marino, Elway, Manning and Brady I would say would be in most people's top 5

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:27 pm

How about Rivers?
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Rivers isn't even Close to Manning or Brady who only have about 16% of the vote between them. Loads of potential but he hasn't achieved anything.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:40 pm

Yeah I think Rivers, Rodgers, and Big Ben are great QBs. I just wouldn't add them on the sake that their careers are still young.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by Calf Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 pm

As it is the uk televised era would Joe Theismann be a more worthy choice than Phil Simms

Calf

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Brady12 wrote:Think you guys are nit picking a little... Moon? yeah I guess there's an argurment for him but if you want a token black guy I'll go with Randall Cunningham. Bledsoe? Are you serious? Most of his records are stuff like most attempts & most completions have all need is no running game to get them!

Kosar? Presume your a Browns fan

Token black guy ? WTF ?
Mate, how about sticking to commenting on ability/performance ?

(thumbs up smiley)

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 am

No thanks Grizzly you've flopped again

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 am

I despair.
You make racist comments then go on the offence ?
All yours pal, I'd rather steer clear of forums

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 am

I'd hardly refer to Warren Moon as a token black guy. He was an awesome QB who is enshrined in both the NFL and CFL Halls of Fame and one wonders what he would have done in the NFL if he hadn't spent part of his career in the CFL and if he'd been on a better team.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Brady, why be like that? I don't mind a good bit of debate, mate, but saying that a QB is just there to be a token black guy is out of line.

Anyone with a brain knows that Warren Moon was an awesome QB. He's in the HoF, he's not just a token black guy.

No more of that, please.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:34 pm

I have gone for Montana who was incredible in his hey day. It also helped that he had Jerry Rice to throw to mind!

If Bernie Kosar had been on there, I would have gone for him. Used to be a big Browns fan in my youth.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 am

Wozzers!! The PC brigade is back on it's soap box again

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Nobody mentioned Jim McMahon yet? :o

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 am

Just pick someone from my list of make your own. Guarantee the list won't be far off the one I've picked x

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Vick
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down