The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impartial British media coverage

2 posters

Go down

Impartial British media coverage Empty Impartial British media coverage

Post by Rick James Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:07 pm

The duopoly split between Sky and Boxnation, has led to majority spilt in camps between promoters, the Hearn and Warren camps. (Makes them sound like two warring families out of Game of Thrones).

You may point to a third major player, i.e. Hennessy Sports and Channel 5, but when push comes to shove, i.e. Fury Vs Haye, Hennessy/Ch5 caved in for Sky PPV.

This is all common knowledge, but it has had far reaching consequences. Love or hate Buncey, he was flying the flag for British coverage of boxing with the 'Steve Bunce Boxing Hour' whilst at Setanta, then had a long stint with BBC London and more recently ESPN.We shared a cab together to the Haye Vs Valuev fight and he was an utter gent off camera.

On the other hand, iFL TV came along and were a breath air. First met Kugan when he came to film at our gym in February last year. Again, top bloke and he gave us consistent access like we had never had before. Pre/Post fight interviews, full coverage of press conferences, laid back interview style which relaxed boxers and allowed us to see a truer reflection of their personalities.

But more recently, I've been disappointed with the British media coverage of boxing.
The divide has meant Bunce is in the pocket of Warren, via his main employment at Boxnation. This has not only led in a decline in interesting show content, i.e. major boxers choosing less so to appear on his shows, but has led to a major bias in his reporting. His interview with Kugan was cringe worthy:
I still love the access iFL TV give us, but even 'Kuggie Bear' seems to have slipped. Whilst I believe some tough questions are still being asked, i.e. from 02:06 minutes of this video where he asks Froch what exactly Groves has done to upset him:
I feel he has to really watch that he doesn't upset Hearn or any of his major fighters, thus questioning his ability to provide impartial content as I often feel he has been holding back recently.

Although I don't agree with the changes in content being delivered by Buncey and Kugan, I can understand the dilemma's they are facing. It's like any organisation, that may start off with the best intentions, but that moral outlook more often then not gets revised the larger it becomes. Take Google's initial 'Don't be evil' motto for example. This is a far cry from their current snooping on everything we do when using them, so that they can sell our browsing details to companies so that they in turn can provide individually tailored in-browser advertising to us. I digress.

This brought me to the realisation this morning that rather than lament on all that had gone bad, an opportunity had arisen for someone else to come in, at a smaller level than iFL TV that was yet to face these dilemmas, and fill this void. That's when I came across 'SecondsOut' 's UK arm. If anyone is interested, I found this video of a Groves interview that gave him the room to breath and express his views, rather than having to defend against the agenda that Sky Sports and Co are trying to shove down our throats:

I haven't watched this guy a whole lot, but have added him to my subscription list to give me a more rounded view of UK boxing coverage.

Just thought I'd share my views and findings with my fellow 606v2 brethren so that hopefully your coverage can also be enhanced.

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Impartial British media coverage Empty Re: Impartial British media coverage

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Johnney Nelson is the worst interviewer I have seen in boxing. I'd take Larry Merchant and his frequent ability to trail off topic then Nelson. I like the guy he seems like a good chap but he aint my cup of tea.

Kellerman is the best.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down