The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Williams

+24
barragan
milkyboy
pedro
BlueCoverman
navyblueshorts
sharrison01
TM2K
JDandfries
Doc
MustPuttBetter
kwinigolfer
Faldono1fan
goldwolf
Davie
shclaff
McLaren
Diggers
Maverick
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
super_realist
SmithersJones
JAS
Thomond
oldparwin
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steve Williams - Page 2 Empty Steve Williams

Post by oldparwin Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Steve Williams states that this win with Adam Scott was his most satisfying yet, you would have thought he had all the pressure on him to perform well, but for gods sake he is only a bag man, handing out a golf club to Adam then cleaning it and putting it back in the bag, you could not even class him as a sportsman.

Is it me or do you all feel the same as me, he just a (rich) big headed buffoon

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Steve Williams - Page 2 Empty Re: Steve Williams

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 11 Aug 2011, 9:17 am

But he's a sports star, he's meant to donate money............... Whistle
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

rangiora, interesting to see another side (though was it him who said how much he'd donated? Very Happy)

Maybe they just shouldn't let him in front of a camera, when his boy has just won

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

I may or may not be right in saying this but is a bit of outspokenness and arrogance quite a strong characteristic of our Antipodean cousins? There are many examples of outstanding sportsmen from these parts of the world, particularly given their respective populations, that come across as quite arrogant and are more than happy to speak their mind and Steve Williams just enforces this trait. I often think that if British sport contained a bit more arrogance then it would not be as poor as it is - the fair play award is nice and gentlemanly but means very little to a winning Aussie or Kiwi...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:06 pm

milkyboy wrote:rangiora, interesting to see another side (though was it him who said how much he'd donated? Very Happy)

Maybe they just shouldn't let him in front of a camera, when his boy has just won

As it was a very large donation by NZ standards it was an orchestrated event by the look of things, certainly remember it being on the news

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0810/S00036.htm.

Very good point SH , having been here for 4 years now I do find it refreshing most Kiwis I come across want to win and not come second Smile makes a change from some of the PC malarkey that gets banded about in the UK of how children should not be allowed to play competitive sport in case they lose Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:18 pm

milkyboy wrote:...everyone figured he had it lucky with tiger and this was his way of proving he was good...

Anyone would look good carrying the bags of those he's been lucky enough to have employ him. Even I would look good. If he took the bag of someone without a big name and that coincided with a marked improvement, fair enough. Scott was already on the up again before Williams became involved with him this year.

Rangoria wrote:...He also talked about the Foundation he had set up with his wife and their involvement with Starship. Children's charity. I believe he donated a $1,000,000 to that cause alone...

I think that says a lot about how over-paid he is and how much money is in the pro game. A caddy gives away $1m??? Whatever next? I'm sure he has some redeeming features away from the cameras but he's beginning to think he's the main act. He isn't; he's a glorified porter.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

sharrison01 wrote:I may or may not be right in saying this but is a bit of outspokenness and arrogance quite a strong characteristic of our Antipodean cousins? There are many examples of outstanding sportsmen from these parts of the world, particularly given their respective populations, that come across as quite arrogant and are more than happy to speak their mind and Steve Williams just enforces this trait. I often think that if British sport contained a bit more arrogance then it would not be as poor as it is - the fair play award is nice and gentlemanly but means very little to a winning Aussie or Kiwi...

Being outspoken is one thing. Wanting to win is another. Both good traits in their own ways. Failing to appreciate one's place in a golfer/caddy relationship is something else altogether. Even if he'd been somehow mentally controlling Scott's swing last week, you wouldn't be such a tool as to come out with the bilge Williams did. Muppet. With any luck he'll miss his footing this week and fall in a lake.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:I may or may not be right in saying this but is a bit of outspokenness and arrogance quite a strong characteristic of our Antipodean cousins? There are many examples of outstanding sportsmen from these parts of the world, particularly given their respective populations, that come across as quite arrogant and are more than happy to speak their mind and Steve Williams just enforces this trait. I often think that if British sport contained a bit more arrogance then it would not be as poor as it is - the fair play award is nice and gentlemanly but means very little to a winning Aussie or Kiwi...

Being outspoken is one thing. Wanting to win is another. Both good traits in their own ways. Failing to appreciate one's place in a golfer/caddy relationship is something else altogether. Even if he'd been somehow mentally controlling Scott's swing last week, you wouldn't be such a tool as to come out with the bilge Williams did. Muppet. With any luck he'll miss his footing this week and fall in a lake.

I was making no comment whatsoever on his part in a golfer/caddy relationship nor about wanting to win - I'm pretty sure that wanting to win as a trait in professional sport is a given.

Adam Scott has shown some form this year and many will point to his Masters week as a good example but maybe having an arrogant and out spoken caddy is the difference for him between having a good week and winning. Despite my observation on most of our Antipodean cousins, Scott always struck me as quite a quiet bloke that does not feel overly comfortable in front of the media - maybe having a caddy that takes all of the media attention and will speak for him is exactly what he wants and needed. The fact that Williams has not been sacked and they have won a big event quite comprehensively in their first few tournaments together suggests that Scott would be silly to change caddies now, especially when this caddy seems to be so comfortable in an area of professional golf that Scott is not. Scott has also always been technically awesome so there was evidently something missing to excuse his lack of majors over the years - you can imagine Williams almost dictating Scott's play and maybe that's not a bad thing because Scott has always been able to hit the shots but his game has been missing something. Williams might add that.

If Williams and Scott go on to win a few majors then you would have to respect Williams' talents as a caddy, regardless of liking his personality - his record with Woods already commands my respect. I wouldn't really want a beer with Ricky Ponting but what a sportsman.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

navyblueshorts... you'll see from my earlier comments i'm in complete agreement.

I too admire the single-minded approach to winning of antipodean sportsmen... it just rankles when it comes from a club carrier not a sportsman.

The golf course can be a lonely place, i don't see caddies adding much value to a pro's game, other than providing the bread and butter of yardages and someone on their side to bounce their thoughts off. I'm sure when the pro's are settled in their team, they find the relationship invaluable. Doesn't stop it from being money for old rope imo.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

milkyboy wrote:navyblueshorts... you'll see from my earlier comments i'm in complete agreement.

I too admire the single-minded approach to winning of antipodean sportsmen... it just rankles when it comes from a club carrier not a sportsman.

The golf course can be a lonely place, i don't see caddies adding much value to a pro's game, other than providing the bread and butter of yardages and someone on their side to bounce their thoughts off. I'm sure when the pro's are settled in their team, they find the relationship invaluable. Doesn't stop it from being money for old rope imo.

Have you ever used a caddy? I'm pretty sure you'll find that a caddy is more than a glorified yardage chart and a caddy that is suited to a player is as important as any other aspect of that player's team including swing coach/head coach/management etc. Golf is an individual sport but very few pro's would be as good as they are if they didn't have a team supporting them and the element that makes a caddy maybe more important is that there are no coaches and managers keeping your head straight when you need to close out a tournament. They generally work bloody hard, harder than most, and almost all of them get very little recognition for it.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Rangiora wrote:makes a change from some of the PC malarkey that gets banded about in the UK of how children should not be allowed to play competitive sport in case they lose Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I may be wrong but I think that's a bit out of date now. That was something from the 90s(?) but competetive sport is now on the up again in schools and winners are "encouraged" again *shock*

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Milky:

Clearly you have no idea what caddies put into their employment. The player works hard yes. But you'll find most good caddies up at the crack of dawn walking course's getting yardages from literally every point on the course. Then making sure his/her employer has everything they need for the day. They will be the shoulder to lean on. they will be the guy turned to for advice when under pressure or failing miserably. There also be the one who gets no credit (steve williams excepted) when there is glory to be had. Thats just the begining.

Rangiora :
I don't know what UK you have visited but every kid I know has a severe competitive streak and my kids school actively encourage competition

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Mav, I think it was a media storm around 5 years ago when the only thing in the world to report was politically correct issues. Some schools, probably in areas where they insist on using organic eggs for their egg and spoon race, decided that there would be no competition in primary schools because those that do not win might have their confidence dented. Good preparation for the real world apparently...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

Hmmm more than 5 years ago I think. Things have been improving on that front for quite some time now

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Mav, I think it was a media storm around 5 years ago when the only thing in the world to report was politically correct issues. Some schools, probably in areas where they insist on using organic eggs for their egg and spoon race, decided that there would be no competition in primary schools because those that do not win might have their confidence dented. Good preparation for the real world apparently...

Would those be the Silver Spoon schools for the upper echelons of society as they like to think themselves. Probably didn't want the future Etonians getting beat by the ruffians from down the way as it just wouldn't be cricket

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Davie wrote:Hmmm more than 5 years ago I think. Things have been improving on that front for quite some time now

It was about 5 years ago but very few schools actually implemented this rather ludicrous idea. It was more of a media issue than one that actually affected people...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

Maverick wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:Mav, I think it was a media storm around 5 years ago when the only thing in the world to report was politically correct issues. Some schools, probably in areas where they insist on using organic eggs for their egg and spoon race, decided that there would be no competition in primary schools because those that do not win might have their confidence dented. Good preparation for the real world apparently...

Would those be the Silver Spoon schools for the upper echelons of society as they like to think themselves. Probably didn't want the future Etonians getting beat by the ruffians from down the way as it just wouldn't be cricket

Should have included polar bears in their "don't play too rough" rules...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

sharrison, maverick.

Perhaps i should clarfiy my position. I can see that 'money for old' rope suggests it's not hard work. So consider that retracted. I actually wasn't intending to suggest they didn't work hard. There are probably still a few (very few, granted) coal miners out there who think walking round a beautiful golf course marking yardages isn't a great hardship, but fine caddies work hard. I already stated that i've no doubt that having a 'team member' out there for support is invaluable to most players.

I was intending to imply that i don't think what they do is rocket science and worthy of star status.

I've no beef with caddies in general, why should I. They do their job like everyone else. If their boss is successful they are very handsomely rewarded for it. Good on them.

But then PA's work hard and are invaluable to CEO's. They don't generally go on tv taking credit for that year's results.

The thread was about Williams, if he does things for charity he obviously has some redeeming qualities, he may also be great at giving support and advice and brilliant at keeping grooves clean. Still came across as a complete jerk imo.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

milkyboy wrote:sharrison, maverick.

Perhaps i should clarfiy my position. I can see that 'money for old' rope suggests it's not hard work. So consider that retracted. I actually wasn't intending to suggest they didn't work hard. There are probably still a few (very few, granted) coal miners out there who think walking round a beautiful golf course marking yardages isn't a great hardship, but fine caddies work hard. I already stated that i've no doubt that having a 'team member' out there for support is invaluable to most players.

I was intending to imply that i don't think what they do is rocket science and worthy of star status.

I've no beef with caddies in general, why should I. They do their job like everyone else. If their boss is successful they are very handsomely rewarded for it. Good on them.

But then PA's work hard and are invaluable to CEO's. They don't generally go on tv taking credit for that year's results.

The thread was about Williams, if he does things for charity he obviously has some redeeming qualities, he may also be great at giving support and advice and brilliant at keeping grooves clean. Still came across as a complete jerk imo.

Think thats a fair point we would all agree with

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

I know this might sound a bit sick, but a lot of us would have huge smiles on our faces, if Scott missed the cut this week devil

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

oldparwin wrote:I know this might sound a bit sick, but a lot of us would have huge smiles on our faces, if Scott missed the cut this week devil

I think it would be more fun to watch if Woods and Scott had to tee off together on the final day.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

oldparwin wrote:I know this might sound a bit sick, but a lot of us would have huge smiles on our faces, if Scott missed the cut this week devil

Don't you mean Williams? Wink

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

K@S wrote:

I think it would be more fun to watch if Woods and Scott had to tee off together on the final day.

You could be right thumbsup

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

I'm with OPW in this one. I don't wish AS any harm but neither am I a "fan" of his so I don't feel TOO bad about it.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Why would Scott missing the cut be a good thing, we'd be depriving a major of one of golfs current hottest stars

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

Only good in the sense of rubbing Stevie's nose it in, Mav

(oh and not having to watch him with the cheat stick) Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

I'm all for golf in it's purest form but have to say i don;t see the issue with a long putter to be honest i think there a lot harder to use than a conventional length flatstick

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

i think long putters are a bit of a joke. if it's ok to stick a club under your armpit or belly, then you should be able to use a mallet or a pool cue. I say this, as my putting is terrible where as i'm not bad at pool or croquet

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:54 pm

Must admit I am not a fan of long putters, but until the R&A outlaw them, I suppose they are a legal club.

Not sure if anyone has won a Major with the long putter, but as long as we do not see a smiling Williams face saying how good it was to win one of the big ones again.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:24 am

Just for some light relief, a day in the life of Steve Williams - spoof diary from a down-under paper here
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Just for some light relief, a day in the life of Steve Williams - spoof diary from a down-under paper here

it was a spoof?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Just for some light relief, a day in the life of Steve Williams - spoof diary from a down-under paper here

Laugh Good spot that man. Seems some people around here are not the only ones who think his head's got a little too big to get through most doorways these days.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm

After another good result this week for Steve Williams, he tells CBS:

"This has been the best couple weeks in the life of the Williams family -- ever since my ancestor carried Moses' stick out of Egypt and facilitated the contact between mankind and God."

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

A day in the life of Steve Williams: bet he wrote that himself, it sounds just like him

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2