The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned?

+28
Glas a du
welshjohn369
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Shifty
TheGreyGhost
Dre280783
Feckless Rogue
Smirnoffpriest
TrailApe
screamingaddabs
Boyne
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Effervescing Elephant
RubyGuby
beshocked
ScarletSpiderman
rugbyfan
doctor_grey
mckay1402
the-goon
Pot Hale
cabbagesandbrussels
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Davie
Totallybiasedscarlet
Luckless Pedestrian
red_stag
Portnoy
32 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned? Empty Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned?

Post by Portnoy Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

Considering the strain that the law enforcement and emergency agencies are under in a seemingly viral and unprecedented series of civil insurrections, if the rioting and looting doesn't stop by Wednesday, should the MS game go on on Saturday?

In the big scheme of things sporting occasions come well down the list of priorities. And all the boys in blue will be on stand-by presumably nationally. And policing any sporting event seems a bit of a questionable luxury.

Last edited by Portnoy on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned? Empty Re: Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned?

Post by red_stag Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:39 am

If it was in Twickenham then yes. In Cardiff I say no.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned? Empty Re: Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

I would say that the game should go ahead, but South Wales Police have already sent men down to London so it depends how the situation develops. You're right that sport has to play second fiddle at times like this.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

It should be possible to bring in bobbies from the other welsh forces. Let's face it we don't have a major problem with Wales v England games so unless things get much worse we should be ok.

Play it by ear.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

red_stag wrote:If it was in Twickenham then yes. In Cardiff I say no.

SW police resources may be called into England. So long as the disturbances don't spread across the Severn.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

Portnoy wrote:
red_stag wrote:If it was in Twickenham then yes. In Cardiff I say no.

SW police resources may be called into England. So long as the disturbances don't spread across the Severn.

Oh really. In that case maybe yes. Shocked
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

It would be foolish for too many SW police resources to be called into England, leaving themselves exposed. Second a few up to London (and perhaps Bristol) but they need to maintain a presence in their own patch in case things spread.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

Davie wrote:It would be foolish for too many SW police resources to be called into England, leaving themselves exposed. Second a few up to London (and perhaps Bristol) but they need to maintain a presence in their own patch in case things spread.

Exactly. But remember that rest and recuperation will be required. The butter will already be scraped too thinly.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:55 am

I see the England football game at Wembley tomorrow night has just been cancelled

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

It should go ahead should it not?
If it was in London immediatly would be called off but I that is a bit much unless it develops further

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

To be fair haven't some countries refused to play Ireland in Dublin due to rioting in Belfast in the past?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Really?!?! Didn't know that!?!?!

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

Davie wrote:I see the England football game at Wembley tomorrow night has just been cancelled

small mercy's and all that....

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

red_stag wrote:To be fair haven't some countries refused to play Ireland in Dublin due to rioting in Belfast in the past?

Yes. 1973. But at least England always turn up....

Last edited by Pot Hale on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

Just play the game behind closed doors just for TV rather than cancelling the match. Both teams need the game and also the fans will be able to see the game without needing a police presence.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:11 am

Don't be ridiculous. It should absolutely go ahead. All the rioters want to do is disrupt and destroy. There won't be trouble at a rugby match and there are plenty of police available to deal with any trouble. So far 30 SW police have been called in to London to assist and last night was most likely the peak of the trouble.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

This is completely terrible. For what?

I would fully understand if the Rugby was cancelled for the weekend. Restoring and guaranteeing order, protection of property and ensuring safety is obviously paramount.

But there is a part of me which says not to let these people get the upper hand and ruin even more things we enjoy. Not to 'give in' to these people under almost any circumstance.

So I am probably not the best person to decide. I wish I was home.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

So far 30 SW police have been called in to London to assist and last night was most likely the peak of the trouble.

I hope you're right - but not so sure...

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

mckay1402 wrote:Don't be ridiculous. It should absolutely go ahead. All the rioters want to do is disrupt and destroy. There won't be trouble at a rugby match and there are plenty of police available to deal with any trouble. So far 30 SW police have been called in to London to assist and last night was most likely the peak of the trouble.

Who's going to police the London end? Plus the traffic, external crowd control etc. I know that the problem is not inside the ground etc.

But as I said in my OP "if the rioting and looting doesn't stop by Wednesday, should the MS game go on on Saturday?".
Is it going to get viral? Cardiff is not a lot different from Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham and Nottingham.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

No it shouldn't be cancelled, at the moment. I appreciate that the roits have spread, but they have not spread into wales yet. Also roiting/crowd control at rugby is not as much of an issue as with football, so if the real police were to have to be moved from SW to England (which would be a joke) then surely the Comunity Support Officers and Specially Bobbies would be capable of guiding the drunks through the streets post match.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

To be fair, I live smack bang in the city centre in Cardiff and on rugby days, there is minimal police presence, I see at most perhaps 10 police officers (and that really is at most) where most of the time they are on their horses and posing for pictures with rugby fans.

If Cardiff stays as it is with no rioting and everything seeming okay, I don't see why the match should be called off even if some SW police have been sent up to London. Cardiff should be fine to cope with a rugby match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:38 am

I guess it depends if Gavin Henson is taking the train or Mike Phillips decides to go for a McDonald's afterwards.

Keep Andy Powell out of the pubs too.

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

Just because some selfish scum decide to riot doesn't mean it should effect the rugby match on the weekend. The rioting scum are in England not Wales yet anyway. If the riots spread to Wales then yes it should be cancelled but not before.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

I've thought long and hard about this one and my response is - Only if Wales are losing at half-time thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:12 am

An honest and well thought out response RubyGuby.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

rubyguby but that would prevent yet another famous Welsh win. Wales only play rugby for 50 minutes at most anyway! OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

See this is what happens with lax moderation and people being able to express their disgust at Englands selection policies and black kit in any way they choose rather than sensible calm debate.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

Peter Seabiscuit wheeler I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or genuine.

England's selection policy is poor. The black kit is rubbish and just yet another marketing failure by Nike.
Happy? Hug

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

um aren't we playing in black on Saturday?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

Oh dear...

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

The kit doesn't matter. At least on this thread. This is about the most significant disturbances to hit the country in a long, long time.

I am sure Peter Seabiscuit was joking. Let's leave it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:49 am

To be honest I expect the game to go ahead. I certainly hope it does as I have tickets and a train journey from Glasgow booked!

If the rioting spreads to Cardiff then the game will be quite rightly cancelled. I rather hope it doesn't spread, looks pretty awful on the telly, I hope no one on here is caught up in it.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:49 am

doctor_grey wrote:The kit doesn't matter. At least on this thread. This is about the most significant disturbances to hit the country in a long, long time.

I am sure Peter Seabiscuit was joking. Let's leave it.

Thanks Dr G.,

I was going to say something like that.

16000 police are going to be drafted into London tonight as opposed 6000 last night.
Birmingham had only 400 last night: how many tonight - and the rest of the metropolitan areas will have to beef up.

Personally I would instruct all the mobile networks to disable mobile social networks if that's possible. Otherwise all ISPs to disable all social networks...

Last edited by Portnoy on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

I can't see it spreading to Cardiff. I think Cardiff people like their City too much.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

(Sarcastic Mode - ON)

In a way, it's just as well that its in the SE that this is all kicking off - just think of all the Media rail/air fares that are being saved if the trouble was oop North or Way Out West!

All though I'm sure some intrepid reporters can 'investigate' from a Fleet Street Desk.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

Portnoy

Yes but then you'd have people screaming about freedom of speach. Idiots
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

Portnoy wrote:
Personally I would instruct all the mobile networks to disable mobile social networks if that's possible. Otherwise all ISPs to disable all social networks...

And what about businesses who use these? The people who use these to communicate daily.

Banning the internet because people could communicate political messages on it would be extreme.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

No it should as one the rioting is mainly in London, and the spread of it to other English cities is small riots (except B/ham) at the moment, so even without the police SW have sent to London, they should be able to cope with a rugby game. This def could spread and escalate, but I imagine if it does and if it get's worse by Sat then the army/national guard will have been pulled in, also the Assembly/WRU/Police can reassess at that time.

Also I get the feeling most of the feeling/rioting is in areas with big inner city coucil estate, something Wales doesn't have (I know we have Eli, Town Hill, Grangetown, Bonnehmaen (sp) and a few Newport ones) but these pale in comparison to the English areas, and the feeling seems to be directed to the Tories cuts, so I imagine it would stay in England myself.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

mckay1402 wrote:I can't see it spreading to Cardiff. I think Cardiff people like their City too much.

A city of over 250,000 can't find 1000 nutters? Dream on...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

red_stag wrote:
Portnoy wrote:

And what about businesses who use these? The people who use these to communicate daily.

Banning the internet because people could communicate political messages on it would be extreme.

+1
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Cutting off social networking would mean more people would probably join in as a 'retaliation' to that measure.

Is there a curfew or anything being talked about?

Is it just me or did the riot kinda come outta nowhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Get some of the Northern Ireland Police Force over to England. It would be a piece of cake for them.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

I think most of the rioting isn't for any real reason. It's just people going nuts because they can and because they like to. It started with reasons behind it perhaps, but I doubt many on the street rioting now could give a good reason as to why they are doing it.

Cutting off social networks wouldn't work in the slightest. It would urine people off and that's about it - I'm sure people managed to riot before Facebook...

A better idea would be to use the social networks and monitor them to try and find out where the trouble may occur no?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

Pete

Dianne Abbott has been calling for one. I guess that would mean anyone out after a certain time is guilty. could work.

It did seem to come out of nowhere and it's all very well for people to say the police have been ineffectual but how could they possibly have dealt with it?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

A curfew could work and if people are coming or going from/to work they would be excussed, other than that, close cinemas, theaters, clubs, pubs for a night and the trouble makers will be quite expossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:I think most of the rioting isn't for any real reason. It's just people going nuts because they can and because they like to. It started with reasons behind it perhaps, but I doubt many on the street rioting now could give a good reason as to why they are doing it.
Sadly, mate, I think you are right. This is mob mentality.

There are always people who will enjoy the destruction of property and other people's businesses and livelihoods. No reasons to start debate on the social, economic, and personal reasons for it. The problem in a civil society is we are always at risk from this. The simple facts are that open societies are always based upon respect for all the things we see missing here. Shame.

But, should we cancel the Rugby? I hope not.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Could/should the Wales v England game be abandoned? Empty Wales v England - Likely to get stopped due to riots?

Post by Dre280783 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

Just wondering if anyone thinks the game could be affected. It looks like the football games have been cancelled.

Dre280783

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

Already a thread about this.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

Hi Dre, just going to merge this with another thread discussing it in the international section

I shouldn't think it will be cancelled though, no riots or any trouble so far in Cardiff.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

There's a certain irony in the way our leaders espoused the tremendous virtue of so-called "social networking technology" in it's role in the popular uprisings in the middle east, and are now condemning the evil influence of so-called "social networking technology" in it's role in allowing "lawless thugs" to out manoeuvre police in this country.

I'm just as disgusted at the antics of the idiot youth, but even a moron could have seen that one coming. It's a bit sad that our so-called intelligence service isn't able to operate a twitter account or infiltrate and aggregate BBM messages in a way that allows the met to use the service against the perpetrators. Or perhaps they can, which may explain the publicity. But as they say, never ascribe to conspiracy what you can explain with stupidity.

In explaining how it is that a bunch of council estate kids can in some deluded way identify with their counterpart's uprising in search of basic human rights I blame our short sighted politicians who are regularly on TV stoking the fires and using just such imagery to score cheap political points off each other.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next