The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales want to host England RWC game

+41
tomhughesnice
niwatts
OzT
Cyril
sirBiggles
Effervescing Elephant
yappysnap
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
fa0019
gregortree
George Carlin
dragonbreath
tigertattie
SecretFly
BATH_BTGOG
maestegmafia
seanmichaels
Luckless Pedestrian
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
beshocked
sausage1966
Portnoy's Complaint
Biltong
tigerleghorn
bedfordwelsh
rainbow-warrior
jammoboss
nganboy
doctor_grey
mystiroakey
wales606
Casartelli
majesticimperialman
Duty281
Big
Shifty
HammerofThunor
EnglishReign
Cadair Idris
Manu's Boxing Coach
45 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game Empty Wales want to host England RWC game

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

This game is 3 years away and yet it has already gained some controversy. WRU chief exec Roger Lewis has already put out the idea of Wales hosting the match between Wales and the competition's holders. Enhancing his attempt to stir up trouble he has reminded the tournament organisers of their obligations to use the Millenium stadium as a venue during the competition saying "It is very important to remember that Wales was included in the England's bid for matches in the Millennium Stadium."

Link is below, cant believe stuff like this has already started but I love it. Its irrelevant really as there is no chance this game will be at MS but stuff like this makes the Anglo-Welsh rivalry what it is. We can be looking forward to this for a long while and each game between us now will have even bigger impetus. Enjoy. Laugh

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8307194/#

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game Empty Re: Wales want to host England RWC game

Post by Cadair Idris Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

So hang on, loaning Gatland out and losing our last 7 games was just all part of a big plan to make sure we got drawn in the same group as England and get to play them in the Millennium Stadium. Roger Lewis - you genius!!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game Empty Re: Wales want to host England RWC game

Post by EnglishReign Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:37 pm

Ain't gonna happen, we put your stadium on the list but didn't say you could play there.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

I pretty sure that Wales weren't confirmed to be playing in Cardiff BEFORE they drew England in the group. The Millennium stadium is more likely to be used for the All Blacks or a QF

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:03 pm

Oh god here we go the first few posters are squabbling where the game is going to be held.

Of course Wales would like the game played in Cardiff, but lets be fair England are hosts so surely Twickenham is where it should be played. Besides Wales can go there and win anyway.

No harm in Roger sticking the idea out there of the game being played at the Millenium stadium though. To be fair though the idea is a bit far fetched.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:13 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:This game is 3 years away and yet it has already gained some controversy. WRU chief exec Roger Lewis has already put out the idea of Wales hosting the match between Wales and the competition's holders. Enhancing his attempt to stir up trouble he has reminded the tournament organisers of their obligations to use the Millenium stadium as a venue during the competition saying "It is very important to remember that Wales was included in the England's bid for matches in the Millennium Stadium."

Link is below, cant believe stuff like this has already started but I love it. Its irrelevant really as there is no chance this game will be at MS but stuff like this makes the Anglo-Welsh rivalry what it is. We can be looking forward to this for a long while and each game between us now will have even bigger impetus. Enjoy. Laugh

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8307194/#

What he knows full well is that there are also more than a dozen stadia in England on the list, and if anyone gets to choose where there matches will be it won't be Wales.

I may be imagining this but I don't think Wales will get any games there except by luck of the draw in the knockout stages. Could be my memory making this up, but I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the RFU didn't want to offer home games to any other nations as they haven't taken on any liability for the £100m odd world cup fee. The RFU, or rather the RFU owned RWC2015 organising comittee, will rent it for whatever games they choose and I doubt very much they would offer home advantage to main rivals in the group.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

Wales do make me laugh. The England-Wales game will be played at Twickenham, the Hosts will not play an away game at their own World Cup.

"I think they (England) would embrace the opportunity to play in the finest rugby stadium in the world."

Indeed we would love to play it at Twickers, the home of Rugby. laughing

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

England would like to play infront of a Full stadium. 82/83000 fans. Unlike playing in the MS infront of 6000 fans. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

Actually Wales do have a legally binding agreement that was signed in 1999 that ANY other 5 nation side who hosts a World cup MUST include the Millenium stadium in their bid and Wales can host their games there.

Graham Henry expanded on this in his autobiography and said the WRU was genius to get the other Unions to agree to this when they asked to host pools for the 1999 world cup. He also said it was clever because there was no time frame to the agreement and it was unlikely the WRU could ever afford to host a World Cup again, due to the huge costs.

Wales did host games in Cardiff during the French 2007 world cup, including the Australia game.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:38 pm

Joking aside, of course Cardiff won't host the Wales/England game. I would guess the reason Lewis is saying this and the CEO of England 2015 Debbie Jevans is not committing either way is probably just a bit of brinkmanship ahead of commercial negotiations over which games Cardiff (and all the other stadiums) host. Roger Lewis is a very commercially minded CEO and will will no doubt be wanting to host some plum pool games (e.g. France vs Ireland) as a result of Wales now possibly playing no big games in Cardiff. I'm sure he can't seriously think Wales could play the hosts, or Australia, in Cardiff.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:48 pm

I do think Wales will play a couple of pool games at MS against the lower ranked sides as the competition organisers will be insistent on maximising profits and selling out stadiums. Wales home games will do exactly that. They might get the Aussie game but I highly doubt it , as the Aussies will not be happy and that game has the potential to sell out any of the venues and of course the England game will be at Twickers.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm

Shifty wrote:Oh god here we go the first few posters are squabbling where the game is going to be held.

Of course Wales would like the game played in Cardiff, but lets be fair England are hosts so surely Twickenham is where it should be played. Besides Wales can go there and win anyway.

No harm in Roger sticking the idea out there of the game being played at the Millenium stadium though. To be fair though the idea is a bit far fetched.

Other than confirming to the world that he's a clueless, overpaid, waste of space embarrassment to his country who knows nothing about rugby.

No offence like.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:30 pm

Shifty wrote:Actually Wales do have a legally binding agreement that was signed in 1999 that ANY other 5 nation side who hosts a World cup MUST include the Millenium stadium in their bid and Wales can host their games there.

Graham Henry expanded on this in his autobiography and said the WRU was genius to get the other Unions to agree to this when they asked to host pools for the 1999 world cup. He also said it was clever because there was no time frame to the agreement and it was unlikely the WRU could ever afford to host a World Cup again, due to the huge costs.

Wales did host games in Cardiff during the French 2007 world cup, including the Australia game.

I would have to see evidence of that as their has been no such suggestion of such a thing existing (at least a legally binding one). The bid has been done now and that doesn't mean you host games (ask the Tigers as Welford Road was in the bid). Not saying that one doesn't exist but if it does the exact details would be important.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm

Casartelli wrote:
Shifty wrote:Oh god here we go the first few posters are squabbling where the game is going to be held.

Other than confirming to the world that he's a clueless, overpaid, waste of space embarrassment to his country who knows nothing about rugby.

No offence like.

How has the commercial reality of what stadium hosts the game got to do with his knowledge of rugby. He is clearly just trying to force the RFU into giving the most profitable games to the Millenium since they will not be hosting at least 2 of the Wales games (or it could be an attempt to spirit away the Australia game from Twickernam)

He is trying to raise money for the WRU, something he has been VERY successful at no matter what people think of his strategies, the game is financially stable at the top level thanks in part to some clever maneuvering from Roger Lewis.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm

so funny i was expecting them to do it against aus- but this is hillarious!!

wales want the RWC that is in englands name.. haha

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:This game is 3 years away and yet it has already gained some controversy. WRU chief exec Roger Lewis has already put out the idea of Wales hosting the match between Wales and the competition's holders.
humour

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:27 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:England would like to play infront of a Full stadium. 82/83000 fans. Unlike playing in the MS infront of 6000 fans. Whistle

Is that for real? I've never been to GB but sure Wales is not that far that only 6000 English fans would travel there for a game against Wales in a WC (not that I think it should be held there)
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:32 pm

I odnt think he is being serious dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 03 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

wales606 wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

No offence like.

How has the commercial reality of what stadium hosts the game got to do with his knowledge of rugby. He is clearly just trying to force the RFU into giving the most profitable games to the Millenium since they will not be hosting at least 2 of the Wales games (or it could be an attempt to spirit away the Australia game from Twickernam)

He is trying to raise money for the WRU, something he has been VERY successful at no matter what people think of his strategies, the game is financially stable at the top level thanks in part to some clever maneuvering from Roger Lewis.

This sort of off field buffoonery serves to wind up the opposition. He has previous form in terms of clueless antics - remember when he forced the All Blacks into performing the Haka in the changing rooms? They tore us to shreds for that, even worse than usual.

Maybe if we were a relevant team at the moment, say Top 3, then indulging himself in a little commercial powerplaying would be tolerable. When we're struggling to hold on to a Top 10 ranking, it comes across as ignorant and petty.

If he is trying to increase revenue then it's to pay himself more bonus - that's all he cares about, ask the regions!

Resignation would be the honourable thing for him to do now. Or at least shut up.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by jammoboss Tue 04 Dec 2012, 3:23 am

2007 France hosting the rwc, where did they play quarter final against new zealand. yes not even in France, the millenium stadium. An important game like that aswell.

jammoboss

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 04 Dec 2012, 4:12 am

Duty281 wrote:Wales do make me laugh. The England-Wales game will be played at Twickenham, the Hosts will not play an away game at their own World Cup.

"I think they (England) would embrace the opportunity to play in the finest rugby stadium in the world."

You make me laugh me old son. England have NO say in the venues of the games, it is all done by the IRB. Know your stuff before you start laughing...people will stare at you laughing
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 04 Dec 2012, 4:17 am

mystiroakey wrote:so funny i was expecting them to do it against aus- but this is hillarious!!

wales want the RWC that is in englands name.. haha

England are hosts only and have no say in venues. Please guys I thought you knew about rugby.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:19 am

jammoboss wrote:2007 France hosting the rwc, where did they play quarter final against new zealand. yes not even in France, the millenium stadium. An important game like that aswell.

Tha wasnt the plan though, France came second in their group. If they had finisehd first like expected then they would have had a home quarter
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 04 Dec 2012, 7:39 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Wales do make me laugh. The England-Wales game will be played at Twickenham, the Hosts will not play an away game at their own World Cup.

You make me laugh me old son. England have NO say in the venues of the games, it is all done by the IRB. Know your stuff before you start laughing...people will stare at you laughing

Aren't the venue's chosen by England Rugby 2015, which is a company owned by the RFU. The board includes the RFU CEO. There is at least one representative from the IRB but not sure how many. If so laughing

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 04 Dec 2012, 7:45 am

'Sports' reporter on BBC just said they may move their as they could sell more tickets...in a smaller stadium? Unlikely.

I hope that ER2015 say they can host a QF and a few pool games IF they sort the pitch out. It's an embarrassment. Finest rugby stadium in the world my arse. Finest atmosphere and location many but I like my props to be able to scrum, my hookers to throw in the lineout and my rugby stadiums not to have pitches that cut up after 5 minutes.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:45 am

jammoboss wrote:2007 France hosting the rwc, where did they play quarter final against new zealand. yes not even in France, the millenium stadium. An important game like that aswell.

Well I would happily watch England v Wales in France, but the MS would be taking the urine!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:45 am

HammerofThunor wrote:'Sports' reporter on BBC just said they may move their as they could sell more tickets...in a smaller stadium? Unlikely.

I hope that ER2015 say they can host a QF and a few pool games IF they sort the pitch out. It's an embarrassment. Finest rugby stadium in the world my arse. Finest atmosphere and location many but I like my props to be able to scrum, my hookers to throw in the lineout and my rugby stadiums not to have pitches that cut up after 5 minutes.

Get with the times Hammer. The pitch has been changed and has had no problems in over a year. When did it cut up during the AIs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:47 am

p.s. I hope that we (Wales) get NO games at the MS. It makes a mockery of the tournament. However, if there was an agreement in place since the 1999 one then it would be pretty poor of England to renege on the agreement. Wouldn't put it past them though...

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:55 am

Yh don't you just love people who come on here with the wrong facts, the pitch has been sorted for a long while now.

As for getting games then like in 07 I dis-agree with Wales having any games in the MS, England won the right to host it so let them host it.

The reason the MS does come into the equation is that the system as to who wins the competition is done on votes and the RFU said the MS would get some games if they voted for Englands bid.

I am guessing that there will be a QF there and maybe some pool matches.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:56 am

Griff wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:'Sports' reporter on BBC just said they may move their as they could sell more tickets...in a smaller stadium? Unlikely.

Get with the times Hammer. The pitch has been changed and has had no problems in over a year. When did it cut up during the AIs?

When I switched over from the end of England-New Zealand on Saturday to watch the closing minutes of Wales-Australia, the MS pitch looked in a very poor condition.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:15 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
Aren't the venue's chosen by England Rugby 2015, which is a company owned by the RFU. The board includes the RFU CEO. There is at least one representative from the IRB but not sure how many. If so laughing

I believe that's the case.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17233462

If they were unlikely to get home games before it's looking like a very long shot now...

Last edited by Big on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:16 am

Is it still on pallets? You never hear anything about the pallets now.

Back in the day entire editions of Scrum V would be devoted to footage of the pallets going in and out on forklifts.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:29 am

This could be a win win situation for England. We either have home advantage or if compelled to play away in our own competition (so to speak) they could use that as strong motivation much like the All Blacks did when made to perform the Haka in their changing room.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:40 am

When do the IRB announce the fixtures anyway?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:55 am

nganboy wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:England would like to play infront of a Full stadium. 82/83000 fans. Unlike playing in the MS infront of 6000 fans. Whistle

Is that for real? I've never been to GB but sure Wales is not that far that only 6000 English fans would travel there for a game against Wales in a WC (not that I think it should be held there)
Nah, Cardiff is close. Just a couple of hours by car from the west London area, for example. But, I suppose the point is if this is England's RWC to host, then if England-Wales were played in Cardiff, then England would be playing an away match.

I was pretty happy the Millenium Stadium was added into the mix. It is a nice stadium in the best location of any Rugby stdium I have seen anywhere. But, clearly, it is not going to host England-Wales. Perhaps the angle is to get the Wales-Australia match? Who knows? But it makes for entertaining reading.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:56 am

England boss Stuart Lancaster is keen to utilise home advantage in the 2015 World Cup but any decision over where his team will play is out of his hands.

England were drawn in a challenging pool for the 2015 showpiece and will face both Australia and Wales in three years time. With the fixtures and venues set to be announced in March, the Welsh Rugby Union has already made an audacious bid to stage their two fixtures against England and the Wallabies at the Millennium Stadium.

England Rugby 2015, the tournament organising body, refused to rule out the possibility that Lancaster's team could have to play their crunch pool fixture against Wales in Cardiff. The Rugby Football Union and Lancaster's management will have limited sway when it comes to deciding but England want to be at Twickenham and take advantage of the same sort of atmosphere that they experienced against the All Blacks on Saturday.

"Clearly from our point of view Twickenham would be our preferred venue," Lancaster said.
http://www.espnscrum.com/2015-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/174083.html

The IRB RWC committee calls the shots.
And will look to maximise the profits. Unfortunately the will recall the 2007 experience and will have noted that the Welsh don't have a good record of filling the MS unless Wales are hosting a top side so they will probably allot the Australia game plus a QF tie.

Seemingly only England and France are capable of filling stadia for games involving T3 nations.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:57 am

its a great location and great stadium- been there twice(for footy games though)

but we cant give wales home advantage v us!!! thats mental dudes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:59 am

mystiroakey wrote:its a great location and great stadium- been there twice(for footy games though)

but we cant give wales home advantage v us!!! thats mental dudes
no worries.
won't happen.
but it did get people talking.
if he was on 606, would we call Roger Lewis a wum?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:10 am

doctor_grey wrote:if he was on 606, would we call Roger Lewis a wum?
ot only a WUM, I would tell him to wash his mouth with soap and water. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:13 am

you are a good Dad.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game Empty Wales offer to host RWC group - Cheeky or good idea?

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:45 am

The Welsh Rugby Union wants to stage its 2015 World Cup pool match against host nation England at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

"I think they [England] would embrace the opportunity to play in the finest rugby stadium in the world," said WRU group chief executive Roger Lewis.

I don't. Billed as "2015 - Destination England" it would odd if England were to play their group matches in the Principality when they are spending £78m on Twickenham. The Millennium Stadium is one of the best Rugby Stadiums in the world - in the way Nuremberg is one of the best places for a rally - but only if you are one of the locals.

I assume Roger was just kidding. I don't mind too much - we did better there in recent 6 nations matches that we did at home. :)

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:45 am

Maybe Wales will get the game at the Millennium vs Fiji.

Would be a bit of spice there!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

Terrible idea.

The Millenium stadium is without doubt one of the best (if not the best)venues in the country to watch rugby. The pitch is a disgrace though.

Imagine multiple games being played at the millenium stadium, the pitch would look like WWI battlefield by the end of the pool.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:50 am

Wales vs Fiji would be acceptable but not vs Australia or England.

This is England's world cup.

Don't want a repeat of 2007 where France played the ABs at the Millennium Stadium.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:52 am

RuggerRadge2611 - actually - that is a great point.

After much needed £78m facelift, Twickenham may rival the MS. I will reserve judgement as frankly, I am not sure it will enough.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:55 am

In fairness Beshoked, part of the bid included the MS.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:56 am

doctor_grey wrote:you are a good Dad.

Doctor in child abuse recommendation scandal.

"Lanolin is efficacious for childhood behavioural misdemeanours" says medical expert in on-line debate.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:57 am

Old article (March 2012), but gives insight into the fact that Wales will only be allowed to play 'lesser' nations at home.

Wales set to be denied crucial 2015 World Cup home advantage
By Graham Thomas BBC Sport Wales

Wales have been told they are unlikely to be allowed to host top nations at the Millennium Stadium at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The tournament is being hosted by England, whose bid included playing up to eight matches in Cardiff.

Tournament chief Paul Vaughan said: "We will make sure that Wales get the same treatment as any other team.

"And if Wales are playing a tier one country in their pool, we will probably play it away from Cardiff."

The Welsh Rugby Union were keen for all of Wales' pool matches at the World Cup to be played at the Millennium Stadium.
2015 World Cup venues

Twickenham, London
Wembley Stadium, London
Old Trafford, Manchester
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Emirates Stadium, London
Sports Direct Arena, Newcastle
Anfield, Liverpool
Elland Road, Leeds
St Mary's Stadium, Southampton
Ricoh Arena, Coventry
Welford Road, Leicester
Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester

But BBC Wales Sport understands opposition to Wales hosting games against top-ranked nations in Cardiff has grown within the southern hemisphere.

"We're very relaxed about it all," said WRU chief executive Roger Lewis.

"It's a huge tribute and compliment to where Wales are at the moment on the field and I think we should embrace that position, we should smile at it and we should face up to each game as it comes along."

Wales finished fourth at the 2011 tournament, their strongest World Cup showing since clinching third place in 1987.

That has been followed by a 2012 Six Nations Triple Crown and Warren Gatland's side lie fifth in the current International Rugby Board rankings as they set sights on a Grand Slam.

New Zealand, the 2011 World Cup winners, Australia, France and South Africa are above Wales in the international league table.

If Wales were to host six 2015 pool matches, plus two quarter-final games in Cardiff, it would give the WRU an estimated rental income of around £10m.

Former Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas was at a meeting during the 2011 World Cup where arrangements for the 2015 event were discussed.

He told Friday's Sport Wales programme: "I was at the IRB meeting, certainly in New Zealand, and I don't recollect any concern being expressed in the meeting from the southern hemisphere in relation to the use of the Millennium Stadium.

"I'm aware that there are rumours going around that since Wales' rugby revival that there were concerns that this would be an unfair advantage."

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

Yes Sausage I understand that but it's one stadium. As I said Wales should be allowed to play the games against Fiji and the other lower ranked side but shouldn't get England or Australia.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:01 am

Griff wrote:Old article (March 2012), but gives insight into the fact that Wales will only be allowed to play 'lesser' nations at home.

[i]Wales set to be denied crucial 2015 World Cup home advantage
By Graham Thomas BBC Sport Wales

Wales have been told they are unlikely to be allowed to host top nations at the Millennium Stadium at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The tournament is being hosted by England, whose bid included playing up to eight matches in Cardiff.

Tournament chief Paul Vaughan said: "We will make sure that Wales get the same treatment as any other team.

"And if Wales are playing a tier one country in their pool, we will probably play it away from Cardiff."

.... well thats grand then because England are a tier 2 country Wink ....... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next