The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales want to host England RWC game

+41
tomhughesnice
niwatts
OzT
Cyril
sirBiggles
Effervescing Elephant
yappysnap
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
fa0019
gregortree
George Carlin
dragonbreath
tigertattie
SecretFly
BATH_BTGOG
maestegmafia
seanmichaels
Luckless Pedestrian
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
beshocked
sausage1966
Portnoy's Complaint
Biltong
tigerleghorn
bedfordwelsh
rainbow-warrior
jammoboss
nganboy
doctor_grey
mystiroakey
wales606
Casartelli
majesticimperialman
Duty281
Big
Shifty
HammerofThunor
EnglishReign
Cadair Idris
Manu's Boxing Coach
45 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game - Page 2 Empty Wales want to host England RWC game

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

This game is 3 years away and yet it has already gained some controversy. WRU chief exec Roger Lewis has already put out the idea of Wales hosting the match between Wales and the competition's holders. Enhancing his attempt to stir up trouble he has reminded the tournament organisers of their obligations to use the Millenium stadium as a venue during the competition saying "It is very important to remember that Wales was included in the England's bid for matches in the Millennium Stadium."

Link is below, cant believe stuff like this has already started but I love it. Its irrelevant really as there is no chance this game will be at MS but stuff like this makes the Anglo-Welsh rivalry what it is. We can be looking forward to this for a long while and each game between us now will have even bigger impetus. Enjoy. Laugh

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8307194/#

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales want to host England RWC game

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

Beshoked - you mean teams in their own tier Smile

Ironically, its the great design of the MS in terms of view which is its weakness in terms of the pitch. Too much shade promotes phototropism and prevent root development compounded by the multipurpose pallet base.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Wales want to host England RWC game - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales want to host England RWC game

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:07 am

Whatever else, it's a ready made team talk for England for the next 3 seasons. Just pin the Roger Lewis headline to the changing room door and add the words 'these are the clowns that wanted to steal a game from our World Cup.'

Thanks Roger. Great job mate. Well worth your £300k salary.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:10 am

I don't think it is cheeky. They see an opportunity, so they are exploring the option.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:11 am

Can you imagine Australia, France, New Zealand or anyone else hosting a World cup and then handing the home advantage to another team?

No - I just think Roger was trying to get a headline which distracted from issues regarding recent results.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:13 am

doctor_grey wrote:you are a good Dad.
Well you're the lucky dad. Having played rugby with your son. Not fair. Sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:24 am

Wales shouldn't get any games at the Millennium Stadium. It's England's World Cup. But the Millennium Stadium is one of the stadia for the tournament, so we'll probably have at least one group game at home.

It definitely won't be the England game. Roger Lewis is making himself look (even more) stupid with all this.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

beshocked wrote:Wales should be allowed to play the games against Fiji and the other lower ranked side but shouldn't get England or Australia.

I couldn't disagree more. Why should Fiji, who have enough stacked against them as it is, have to play two of their group opponents at their home grounds?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

beshocked wrote:Wales should be allowed to play the games against Fiji and the other lower ranked side but shouldn't get England or Australia.

I couldn't disagree more. Why should Fiji, who have enough stacked against them as it is, have to play two of their group opponents at their home grounds?

Because it's one hell of a commute to Suva. Smile

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:42 am

Should be at Old Trafford. Less distance for the Welsh to travel in their horse and carts.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:42 am

sausage1966 wrote:
The Millennium Stadium is one of the best Rugby Stadiums in the world - in the way Nuremberg is one of the best places for a rally - but only if you are one of the locals.
Why on earth did you use the comparison to where Hitler gave most of his most infamous speeches?

Do you think that is funny? I certainly do not. I think you are purposefully, being very offensive.

You should re-edit that very quickly.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Wales shouldn't get any games at the Millennium Stadium. It's England's World Cup. But the Millennium Stadium is one of the stadia for the tournament, so we'll probably have at least one group game at home.

It definitely won't be the England game. Roger Lewis is making himself look (even more) stupid with all this.

Stupid, and insulting to the premier tournament in the game. His comments are unbecoming of a 'CEO'. Grossly incompetent.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Wales shouldn't get any games at the Millennium Stadium. It's England's World Cup. But the Millennium Stadium is one of the stadia for the tournament, so we'll probably have at least one group game at home.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:47 am

Wales can play Oz in the MS but not England that would be silly.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:
sausage1966 wrote:
The Millennium Stadium is one of the best Rugby Stadiums in the world - in the way Nuremberg is one of the best places for a rally - but only if you are one of the locals.
Why on earth did you use the comparison to where Hitler gave most of his most infamous speeches?

Do you think that is funny? I certainly do not. I think you are purposefully, being very offensive.

You should re-edit that very quickly.

I was more offended by the use of capital letters in 'Rugby Stadiums'. Ouch.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:49 am

Maest, he means the Nuremberg Ring, you wally!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

I don't think Wales should have any games there either, even as a Welshman. However, this all harks back to some agreement whereby if we voted for England then they'd give us some games. If that is true, and now they're trying to renege on it, then you can understand us pursuing it, surely?

It is ridiculous that teams play outside their nations boundaries, but it happens all of the time. Wales' world cup was spread all over the UK (and possible Ireland?); the French one was in Wales too; The Australian on was meant to be joint between OZ and NZ but something went wrong (maybe arguments? Cant remember). Some nations would not be able to host if it wasn't for cross boundary collaboration so we're going to get this in future, unless we just stick to the powerhouse nations of the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

Millennium Stadium will get a few games.
But I add my voice in saying the Welsh team shouldn't get to play in it for the entire duration. I also say the roof should remain open for the duration - no team that plays there should be getting any possible benefits from it's structure when all the other stadiums will be open to the elements.

A level playing field for all, except the hosts.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:56 am

Autocorrect is a pain sometimes. Yes - Nurburgring,

Sorry to Maest for any unintended offence.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

well yeah- Clearly wales wont get to play england there, and if we get a wales v aus match scheduled there - Aus would kick up big time surely..

secondly it would be benefical to england either- due to them being in our group. and wales getting an advantage in a game..

but personally i wouldnt mind that- but it wouldnt be the perfect host conditions

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

There's understandable uproar about the hosts, or even Australia, potentially having to play Wales at the Millennium Stadium; but I hate this idea that it's somehow okay for Wales to have home games against the lowest-ranked two sides in the group. These sides have enough stacked against them as it is. The last thing they need is an additional disadvantage.

(I've worded that as carefully as I can, but I'm sure some wag will remind me that wales are a third-tier nation.)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:59 am

I think there may be some legal arguements goig to happen here.

As part of the English bid, they went in to co-hoots with the Welsh and the payoff for Wales was to have thier group games plyed in Cardiff. At the time it was expected that Wales and England ould be in the same seeding pot so it was not expected for them to be drawn together. Wales are rightfully saying the group game of Eng vs Wales should be played in Cardiff due to the agreement that was made. England are rightfully saying no, England should be playing in England.

Will come down to who signed what

Lesson learned, careful who you get into bed with!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:59 am

Come on England are the new world No1 give us chance, surely you can beat us anywhere, and its a much better day out in Cardiff than that field in the middle of nowhere

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm

tiger - you are correct - its a commercial RWC Ltd decision not an RFU one. That said, with the RFU investment, I suspect an agreement has already been penciled in.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Ok Dragon- if it was up to me i would allow it..

I reakon it would break the tinternt! that would be funny..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:05 pm

dragonbreath wrote:Come on England are the new world No1 give us chance, surely you can beat us anywhere, and its a much better day out in Cardiff than that field in the middle of nowhere

Yep, that's what every Englishman has been saying on any thread connected with us isn't it?
Just so dull.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

sausage1966 wrote:tiger - you are correct - its a commercial RWC Ltd decision not an RFU one. That said, with the RFU investment, I suspect an agreement has already been penciled in.
I am sure England rugby Union has stipulated the suggested venues in their prospectus when they bid for it in the beginning anyway.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

Wales v England - Millennium Stadium

Result - Wales win. "Wey Hey Hey!!!!!!!!!!!! We got yis!!!!!!!!!!!! We might have even kicked you out of your own WC on our home turf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's even better than the WC itself if we don't end up now winning it (which of course we will!!!!!!!!!) Bye Bye England, thanks for calling!!! Wink"

But wait - that's the good fairy's take on things.............

Result - England win. Total abject humiliation. Crying in the streets. England come to the Greatest Rugby Stadium in the World Which is in Wales, meet the power-punch, tap-dancing most passionately followed rugby team in da World, and trounce them silly with the eyes of the World looking on and sniggering. - What? - Bad fairy's reading of the same day.

Hmmm, be careful what you wish for, is all I'm adding to that fable. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:13 pm

Twickers would be rather graceless - they'll stick it at Old Trafford.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

[quote="George Carlin"]Twickers would be rather graceless - they'll stick it at Old Trafford.[/quote]

bloody better not!!!!!!!!

i hope its played at Twickenham.

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:16 pm

Wales had their go as 'host' at the Millenium vs Argentina 1999.
(trains wer a mess and hosts only just winning)

Its England's turn now Roger... move over.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:17 pm

It would be a little odd for the home nation to have to play matches away.. the whole point of this RWC is England 2015.

Whatever contractual obiligations about the MS hosting matches it would be a bit of a farce.

By the sounds of the head of the WRU, its not concrete that Wales play some home matches at the MS.... only that games will be played there... else there would be no confusion/argument in the first place.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

For those with short memories it was the Sanzars who first kicked up a fuss about the potentrial of facing Wales at their home venue back when they were the "4th best team in the world (elect)" riding high after their glorious failure at the world cup.

The organissers have stated a number of times over the last year that games against "Tier one" nations would be played away from there.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:24 pm

No.

One of Eng v Wales of Eng v Oz needs to be in the north of the country.

The other will be at Twickenham.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

gregortree wrote:Wales had their go as 'host' at the Millenium vs Argentina 1999.
(trains wer a mess and hosts only just winning)

Its England's turn now Roger... move over.

...at which England played all of their group matches and a 1/4 final play off at Twickenham. Shock horror!

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

Griff wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:'Sports' reporter on BBC just said they may move their as they could sell more tickets...in a smaller stadium? Unlikely.

I hope that ER2015 say they can host a QF and a few pool games IF they sort the pitch out. It's an embarrassment. Finest rugby stadium in the world my arse. Finest atmosphere and location many but I like my props to be able to scrum, my hookers to throw in the lineout and my rugby stadiums not to have pitches that cut up after 5 minutes.

Get with the times Hammer. The pitch has been changed and has had no problems in over a year. When did it cut up during the AIs?

Well it was cutting up in every Welsh game I saw. It did seem better but I thought that was just luck. Perhaps it's just that my standards have improved due to the fantastic new pitch at Twickenham that the Millenium one still seems a bit shoddy. Still at least it's better than it was (taking your word for it as my memory has obviously failed in terms of just how bad it used to be) thumbsup

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

Such a hot topic that it's generated two threads!

Most fans seem to be in agreement over this.

Is there anyone other than Roger Lewis that thinks it's a good idea???

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:37 pm

Seeing as we are both in Group A, the ref should toss a coin just before the tickets have to be printed.

Also, Roger needs to write to Wales & West Thomas Engine Railway Company to alert them that a world event is taking place in Cardiff.
Last time nobody bothered to tell them and Thomas got very flustered.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:40 pm

Its a great idea from the WRU's point of view. So yes plenty of people would welcome it.

Give a decent advantage to Wales in what might be a tough group.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm

Nice response:

"We appreciate the kind offer and it's a lovely place to go and play rugby but we have a nice stadium of our own," RFU chief Ian Ritchie told BBC Sport.

Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm

sausage1966 wrote:Autocorrect is a pain sometimes. Yes - Nurburgring,

Sorry to Maest for any unintended offence.

Apology accepted. You should, as i said edit your OP as well as be a bit more careful with what you write.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Its a great idea from the WRU's point of view. So yes plenty of people would welcome it.

What advantage????

It will be packed to the roof with English fans and we'll have wound them up a treat by disrespecting their tournament!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:49 pm

tigertattie wrote:I think there may be some legal arguements goig to happen here.

As part of the English bid, they went in to co-hoots with the Welsh and the payoff for Wales was to have thier group games plyed in Cardiff. At the time it was expected that Wales and England ould be in the same seeding pot so it was not expected for them to be drawn together. Wales are rightfully saying the group game of Eng vs Wales should be played in Cardiff due to the agreement that was made. England are rightfully saying no, England should be playing in England.

Will come down to who signed what

Lesson learned, careful who you get into bed with!

They agreed to be included in the bid. They were. More stadia will be cut off the list in the spring 2013. Unless there was a legal agreement that some 'would' host (not be included in the bid or 'may' host) then they might not get any still. There was no official co-hosting that I was aware of. Just that they may rent the Millenium for some games, in the same way they'll be renting the other grounds. I think it's unlikely they'll drop it completely because it's all about the money but some of the football grounds they're on about using are pretty big and may be big enough (with Wembley and Twickenham). The original plan may have been to host Welsh games their to boost revenue, but with the groups that might drop out.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Its a great idea from the WRU's point of view. So yes plenty of people would welcome it.

What advantage????

It will be packed to the roof with English fans and we'll have wound them up a treat by disrespecting their tournament!

Disrespecting their tournament?

How?

RFU wanted the WRU to back their bid for hosting the RWC, the RFU agreed to concede rights to host games in Wales at the MS so that the WRU would be with them in the bid.

Its luck of the draw that England an Wales are in the same group and unfortunate for the England if they have given Wales Home games at the MS and one of those games is England...!

If anyone found that disrespectful they would be the type of person who was looking for an excuse to get annoyed at something that is out of their hands.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:05 pm

Casartelli wrote:

Surely "stadia"?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

What advantage????

How?

RFU wanted the WRU to back their bid for hosting the RWC, the RFU agreed to concede rights to host games in Wales at the MS so that the WRU would be with them in the bid.

Its luck of the draw that England an Wales are in the same group and unfortunate for the England if they have given Wales Home games at the MS and one of those games is England...!

If anyone found that disrespectful they would be the type of person who was looking for an excuse to get annoyed at something that is out of their hands.

Even if you accept the behind-the-scenes deal making, which in itself is rather distasteful, then Roger Lewis should be grateful that we are getting a game or two in Cardiff and keep his mouth shut. At the rate we've been sliding down the rankings we're lucky the draw has been made this early, otherwise we might have ended up in the second tier tournament with Portugal, Kazakhstan and the Faroe Islands.

The last thing the former musician needs to do is make comments about rugby that serve only to potentially motivate a team that just thumped the world champions.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:12 pm

If you go back to 2011 you may remember the IRB objecting to having any Wales group matches staged there.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

Surely "stadia"?

Actually, either can be used. Thus, I let that one pass without comment.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:22 pm

Laugh well said Ritchie

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

What advantage????

How?

Even if you accept the behind-the-scenes deal making, which in itself is rather distasteful, then Roger Lewis should be grateful that we are getting a game or two in Cardiff and keep his mouth shut. At the rate we've been sliding down the rankings we're lucky the draw has been made this early, otherwise we might have ended up in the second tier tournament with Portugal, Kazakhstan and the Faroe Islands.

The last thing the former musician needs to do is make comments about rugby that serve only to potentially motivate a team that just thumped the world champions.

Again, why is it that you think deal brokering is distasteful? The WRU are hardly going to give support to the RFU without some kick backs. It worked vice versa when we hosted the RWC in 1999.

Twickenham, Welford Road, Ashton Gate and the McAlpine (now Galpharm) Stadium in Huddersfield were all used in hosting the RWC 99.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

I nearly choked when I heard this on breakfast news this morning... Thought well done Roger, ok you have stoked the fire, now dont make anymore of a plonker of yourself...

In all honesty, Wales v England at the MS wont happen. However, Wales has a better recent record against England at Twickenham, and I think it would be sweeter to knock England out at Twickenham than in the MS. (No WUM here... just facing facts. If Wales are to progress they have to beat England and it is likely that either Wales or England will be knocked out, as I cant see the Wallabies not progressing.).

I cant see why Wales/Australia game could not be at the MS. Dont think the Wallabies will see it as home advantage, and after last weekend, what difference does that make. We will still shoot ourselves in the foot in the final minutes....

I must say, I thought the RogerLewis who posts here was just a WUM. But after this announcements, I think he could be the REAL Roger, as lets face it. Saying the World Cup hosts should play "away" is the best WUM I've heard for a long time....

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next