The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Rabbo Season

4 posters

Go down

New Rabbo Season Empty New Rabbo Season

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 9 Aug - 12:23

Looking at the new fixture list and the Dragons Irish away trip to start, im feeling more and more confident that they will in quite good shape before all the World Cup players return. I actually think having home games in this period is almost a disadvantage especially to the teams providing more plpayers to WC teams. For me in the opening 8 weeks I really think the Dragons will do well given the look of their pack on paper. Scarlets still look pretty good too and the way they played last season with ball in hand I think they could do well. Its the Blues I think will come of worst. Too many aged players now and didnt really invest in gametime for some of the younger players they will be rewarding with starting spots come Sept. Ospreys still look like they strong in the front 5 so given they will get ball they should get some results. That said they probably will suffer from ability to use the ball they generate so may well end up behind the Dragons and Scarlets after first 5/6 matches.

As for the Irish, I expect Munster to still be pretty good. Leinster I think will struggle a little. Ulster and Connacht will likely pose formidable tests away.

I'm not expecting anything from the Scots at all. Totally decimated by players away and they just dont have the squads to deal with it. A real lack of funding showing here.

Aironi and Treviso though for me will be the real dangerous picks in the opening weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing Trevison (Full Back - Aironi) in action if they pick him as I have heard good things about him. Probably catching these teams away in the opening rounds is going to be bad news.

So heres how I think it might look by the time the Internationals come back:-

1 Ulster
2 Dragons
3 Treviso
4 Scarlets
5 Munster
6 Ospreys
7 Aironi
8 Connacht
9 Leinster
10 Blues
11 Edinburgh
12 Glasgow

How do you see the opening weeks going?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

New Rabbo Season Empty Re: New Rabbo Season

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 9 Aug - 13:46

Interesting, I like your reasoning but I think the Ospreys will do better as they'll have a very strong pack, which won't weakened and will give plenty of ball to their exciting youngsters to take on weakened opposition. Also feel Munster will be a little further up the table and Scarlets/Dragons will be between 3rd and 5th.

Really feel for the Scots - and things don't look good as they only had 20,000+ at their game against Ireland I believe.

Blues will struggle, think Connaucht will as well, but swap Leinster with Aironi.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 9 Aug - 14:12

Yep the Ospreys pack does look good in the front 5 especially. I'd imagine Morgan Allen may get some gametime at 8 I hope but if Jonathon Thomas dosnt go to the WC (which I dont think he will), he'll probably start there.

Fussell is probably their best back as well. Looked good last season. Bishop and Beck could be a good combination. I still dont think we will see the free flowing rugby that the talented squad at the Ospreys warrants.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Danny Barnes though from Munster. The boy looked like serious quality. Takes some stopping and genuine pace as well.

I think the gap in the top 8 probably wont be massive and the ones in the top 6 could be all within 2-8 points of each other. It certanly wont determine the winner and the likes of Munster & Leinster will have strong second half seasons so will be contenders.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 9 Aug - 14:43

Yeah i doubt the start will have much effect on how the league looks at the end of the season, but the injuries could well play a huge part in who wins the league/does well.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 9 Aug - 15:33

I think the Italians will be a bit further down, as I think both of them are providing a number of internationals to the RWC Squad. Also I would not expect the Dragons and Scarlets to be too high up, as even though they may not provided as many internationals as some other sides, I think they may struggle with depth a bit.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 10 Aug - 9:27

Well to me the Scarlets first 15 is looking not to bad on paper:-

1. I. Thomas
2. E. Phillips
3. R. Thomas
4. L. Reed
5. S. Timani/D.Day/D. Welch
6. R. McCusker
7. J. Edwards
8. B. Morgan
9. G. Davies
10. A. Thomas
11. D. Newton
12. N. Reynolds / R. Gomer Davies
13. G. Maule
14. A. Fenby
15. D. Evans

Thats a lot better side than most sides will have avaialble. I certanly feel that their front 5 will secure them enough ball and with the Scarlets way of playing they will score tries with ball.

As for the Dragons lineup:-

1. P. Price
2. T. Willis
3. D. Way
4. A. Jones / S. Morgan
5. R. Sidoli
6. A. Coombs
7. G. Thomas
8. T. Brown
9. W. Evans
10. J. Tovey
11. M. Pewtner
12. A. Smith
13. T. Riley
14. M. Poole
15. M. Thomas

I think they will be the strongest 9/10 combination around. I do have question marks over the pack but if they can I think we will win more than we lose. Yes depth is an issue but I dont see how any of the other teams have more depth during the WC. The only real factor here is how motivated sides are going into the start of the season.

I know what your saying regarding the Italians but they really have been clever in the Offseason. Im expecting Aironi to do much better than last season. Tyson Keats & O. Naas should be at 9/10 for season start for them. Im interested to see how R. Trevisan go if they start him at full back. And they still have a fairly good pack with players such as Sole, Staibano, Festuccia, Aguero & Nick Williams. They will defnitely get ball thats for sure. Treviso still have Botes and Burton plying their trade. And the pack again looks powerful with Vosawai my pick of the treviso forwards.

For me the reason I think you really will see a bank from the Italians is that their liscence is up at the end of this season and they will be fighting for renewal. There is no way those franchises will be rolling over and rest assured those teams will be fierce in the opening exchanges. This is why they will be dangerous as I dont see the other sides having that kind of motivation.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 10 Aug - 10:20

Mushroom - I believe that Maule is out til Oct, and i have a feeling (not sue why) that Reynolds is out too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 10 Aug - 11:49

Also I'd imagine Newton to be our starting 10. Didn't realise Reynolds is out and forgot Maule was out (which is a killer, especially with the Welsh curse falling on out in players - Stodds makes it 4 now doesn't it?). I agree our pack looks good, and especially as one of (or maybe 2) McCusker and Turnbull prob won't make the final WC squad. Such a shame we couldn't have kept Shingler though

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 10 Aug - 12:14

Well im suprised Darren Daniel was released. I was always a massive fan of his and he always scored tries for the Scarlets. Think he would been valuable in this early part of the season. Im sure the Scarlet backline will spring a few suprises early on and I'm sure some totally new players may leave a mark. I rarely worry about the Scarlets as I believe they play the game in the right spirit. Always good to watch. I kind of wish my side (Dragons) would be as fluent at times although we are going the right direction.

I do hear that Scarlets have another youngster in the Academy at 10 whos supposed to be superb (equal if not better than Morgan at the Ospreys) but I know hes only 16/17 so the season may be a little soon for exposure. Not sure what his name is now though.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 10 Aug - 12:18

Thinks it was somthing Williams.

The biggest weakness Scarlets have is usually the Pack but its a fading weakness. All they lack now is an Argentinian Scrum Coach and they would be away.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 10 Aug - 12:32

for me I think

Munster and Leinster, will lose players to the WC but have the squad dept t cope, will be in top 5 spots after WC and top 2 at end of season,

Ulster lose less players a good start is a must as will give confidence for rest of season, after WC 1st or 2nd, at end of season 3rd (if not high up the table after WC can see them finishing 6th as last 3 games are inter pro's)

Connacht have lost some good players and gotten in some good players, and have more squad depth than ever beforewill take time to gel (but it's a good time as most teams will be without there WC players and be at an equal disadvantage) see them staying around mid table all year and finishing 7th

Ospreys, will lose players to WC and will be bringing younger players through after losing some 1st team players, they will be trying to gel durning the world cup, and again after it with there WC players return, however they have the depth to cope and a great squad, if they gel should finish 4th

Scarlets have a good team but squad doesn't have depth of others, lose less players to WC than some. Think it will be like last season where they will start well, but as injuries and lack of squad depth (to compete at the top level) take there toll they will drop out of play off places and finish 5th

Dragons lose least player to WC will start strong, and if they keep up the momentem will have a good season. Again they don't have the squd depth of a playoff team and will drop toward end of year and finish 6th

Blues losse players to WC, and haven't brought enough youth through in recent years to compete with players that are getting toward the end of their careers, still a good team but think they will struggle a bit during WC and be around mid-table, and decide this is the year to bring young players through (and hence lose some games they shouldn't due to inexperience) and finish 8th

Glasgow and Edinburgh, both struggled last year, both lost some good players durning the summer, and will lose players to the world cup, can see them struggling this year again, both teams in bottom 4

Treviso and Aironi, both have better squads than last year but both lose player to WC, can see them both being better teams than last year and Aironi will especially improve can see the bottom 8 teams being close but think these 2 will again be in bottom 4

I see the final table as:

Leinster
Munster
Ulster
Ospreys*
Scarlets
Dragons
Connacht
Blues
Treviso
Edinburgh
Aironi
Glasgow

*If Scarlets or Dragons manage to keep up momentium, and/or Ospreys don't gel quickly, either could take 4th and swap places with Ospreys

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 10 Aug - 12:46

Jordan Williams
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 10 Aug - 15:26

Hmm the Irish are notoriously slow starters. Its not impossible they take 1,2 & 3 and for an end of season prediction I wouldnt disagree. But the 5-8 games played during the WC period I cant see a Irish 1,2,3. I have Ulster tipped at 1 but I just cant see Leinster breaking in the top 3 at season start. Munster will be strong no doubt but I'll stick with my prediction for now.

Thanks Scarlet btw - I'm kicking myself for having forgotten it

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down