The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

+30
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Smirnoffpriest
clivemcl
Rory_Gallagher
Golden
Gibson
thebluesmancometh
wales606
GunsGerms
EST
Rava
pete (buachaill on eirne)
ScarletSpiderman
tatterd
munkian
Thomond
LeinsterFan4life
red_stag
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pete330v2
LordDowlais
George Carlin
Mickado
pioden gorllewin
funnyExiledScot
Notch
RDW
Shifty
maestegmafia
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season? Empty Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:04 am

I was wondering if you had any suggestions of players that we should be looking out for this season from your team..?

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season? Empty Re: Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

Post by Shifty Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 am

Jo Rees, James King, Rhys Webb, Tom Habberfield, could be the players who step up next season for the Ospreys.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season? Empty Re: Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

Post by RDW Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:12 am

From Edinburgh I'm most excited about WP Nel signing from the Cheetahs at Tighthead. The guy is a rampaging carrier and, although he is built like Jacobson's older brother, could cause carnage if he gets into space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kA4A-l1yRw

The other one is Ben Atiga - former junior world player of the year but hasn't played much top level rugby for a year or so. Am intrigued to see what he will bring to Edinburgh this season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Jared Payne could have a massive impact for Ulster this season. Paddy Jackson will be central for better or worse. And the wildcard is young lock/backrow Iain Henderson.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:36 pm

I did well at this last year, picked out David Denton and Lee Jones, both now internationals.

This year at Edinburgh look out for Nel at tighthead (as RDW notes above), and I'm also tipping Richie Rees to have a big year at 9.

For Glasgow, I think Tim Swinson is going to be a massive hit, and I'm tipping Alex Dunbar to end the season having played for Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 pm

At the ospreys I think Ashley neck will go fr strength to strength, as will Justin Tipuric. Tom Habnerdield is likely to be second fiddle to Rhys Webb this year, should the management and coaches show any sense, and he could well prove to be well worth watching. A skillfull and talented young scrum half with plenty of sevens experience and a great effort with Wales U20s in SA.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 pm

for the scarlets i would say jordan williams, dan thomas, rob evans & samson lee.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:25 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I did well at this last year, picked out David Denton and Lee Jones, both now internationals.

Well done.

Might have to re visit this thread in twelve months time and see whether we made any good calls.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:17 am

I'm tipping Andrew Conway to make his breakthrough this year, closest thing we've had to Denis Hickie since he retired.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 am

Conway? Did he come off the bench a few times over the last season or two?

If so good shout, looks a great lad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 am

Yep. Started the Pro12 semi against Glasgow this season. Serious gas on him, great step, good tackler. With Fitzgerald and D Kearney out for the start of the season he could get a lot of game time. Very highly rated young lad.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 am

At Glasgow, Swinson will make a splash and I hope young Jonny Gray gets a chance to show what he can do. I think that if (Oprah forbid) Rennie gets injured, then Chris Fusaro should get his chance for Scotland. Little men McGuigan and Paris could be surprise packages.

At Edinburgh, I hope that Gregor Hunter gets some game time at 10. The stand outs have already been mentioned - Nel is a try scoring wrecking ball and if Atiga can get his fitness and love of the game back, he could be the find of the season.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:46 am

I am looking forward to all our U20(Wales) world cup players getting game time, they all looked decent at that level, hopefully they can make the step up next season for the regions.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am

I reckon Jared Payne will light up the Rabo this season, he simply oozes class and was one player the All Blacks complained about letting go. Iain Henderson is our young hope and seems to have abilities that defy the few years he's been on the planet.

With our back 3 consisting of Trimbe, Bowe and Payne all I can say is look out Rabo and Europe Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 am

Not sure Trnimble is a sure thing in there.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Not sure Trnimble is a sure thing in there.

Very true, unfortunately for him Bowe will have a strong hold on the right wing and he'll be more often used on his weaker left wing where he'll be fighting for a place with Gilroy so it could be a very tough season for Trimbs mentally although it could be the making of him. His form hasn't been as low as many would have you believe and internationally when DK plays him out of position every time because an unproven centre is playing at 14 then it's hard to judge how good his form actually is. For me he'll very much be in the mix for Ulster and won't let go of the shirt easily.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:20 pm

My Munster players to watch this season:

- Dave Kilcoyne; Had a good British and Irish cup run last year and got a bit of Rabo action. Wian du Preez is probably our most indispenable player at the moment with little if any cover. Horan seems to be on his last legs and we need Kilcoyne to deliver.

- Mike Sherry; Has already won over the Munster faithful and replaced Damien Varley in the starting team. The young hooker will be hoping to improve further especially with his throwing and get 3rd choice hooker ahead of mercenary Strauss.

- David Foley; I'm interested to see how he will do at Rabo level. Mick O'Driscoll is retired. O'Connell, Ryan and O'Callaghan are internationals. There is scope for a new face. I think he could very well overtake Ian Nagle and I expect him to do well.

- CJ Stander; After all the talk about should he/ shouldn't he come to Ireland, is his departure the start of an exodus etc, big things will be expected from Stander. He may be young but Munster have bought this guy in the expectation he be a leading European backrow.

- JJ Hanrahan; The man of the moment. Nominated for IRB Junior World Player of the Year and yet to get any gametime whatsoever for the Munster senior team. Looks likely to get significant gametime in the #12 shirt with only James Downey providing real competition.

- Felix Jones; Will he manage to come back from yet another long term injury. Last season he looked a pale shadow of the exciting fullback we saw in seasons gone back. This is a massive season for him. He could mount a challenge to Rob Kearney for Ireland or alternatively he could fall behind Keith Earls and Denis Hurley at Munster.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm

At leinster im looking forward to seeing conway, macken, jack mcgrath and dom ryan. All have bright futures at leinster

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Forgot to mention young Jamie Farndale - aka the IRB Under 20 World Championship top try scorer. He's a blaster and if he gets his chance alongside Visser and Brown, then Edinburgh will have a hell of a lot of gas in the back three.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I'd echo Stag's guys really. I would have had Paddy Butler in there before Stander came but now I don't know how much game time he will get.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:45 pm

LeinsterFanforLife,

Those are great calls. The players I am looking forward to seeing for Leinster would also include:

- Sean Cronin

- Devin Toner
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm

For the Dragons

Steffan Jones - Very young FB/Flyhalf - has had some good games for us

Tom Prydie - Signed from Scarlets - Youngest capped Welshmen (I think) - jsut had some very good games for the u20S team - looking forward to see what he can do for us

Nimmo - Big no frills lock signed from the Pirates

Chavanaga - Very fast SA winger - very dangerous when he gets the ball - with Brew gone we should look to him more
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 pm

sorry, this has probably been asked lots of times but when is the rabbo 2012-2013 fixture list released please?

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Niether are on my team but both were members of my club and both are elligible for Ireland (and USA) but I'm looking forward to seeing Dave Ryan of Zebre and Timmy Ryan of the Dragons.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Prydie was signed from the O's munkian OK

For Scarlets...

Not so sure really. Be interesting to see if the U20's front row get more game time, but I'm expecting big things from Rhodri Jones and Ken Owens, and for Liam Williams to keep imporving.

I know he's not young but Morgan Stoddart could be one to watch. A season out with injury but back in training now, he must be raring to go!

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Doh

I think I've only ever seen him play in red so my hungover brain filled in the blanks : )

Not sure when Rabbo fixtures are anounced, probably still ironing out stuff with the Zebras I reckon
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:55 pm

I think that from the regions it will be interesting to see (ignoring ones already mentioned):

Dan Evans (Dragons) - played a brilliant season for the Scarlets (09 or 10?) which lead to being capped by the welsh team. But has then fallen out of favour with the manafement at PYS. Now he has joined the Dragons, he may well be able to how his class again with the likes of Prydie and Chavanga there too.

Gavin Evans (Blues) - At one point he was looking like one of, if not, the best centre in Wales, and again after falling out with bosses, and a move to the Blues seems to have really falled behind. However on the back of a new contract at the Blues, Phil Davies (the man who got the best out of him) at the helm, and spare centre shirt being up for grabs (with Lualala leaving) Gavin may well find his form again.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm

LEINSTER:

Cronin: He came on a huge amount last season and if he can keep improving (particularily in the basics) at the same rate he could become quite the player. Has fitted in to HCup rugby very well.

Toner: One of the most underrated Leinster players, his carrying improved ten fold last season, on top of that his awarness doubled and he was confident giving offloads and passing in to space before the tackle. Obviously a good lineout player too.

Madigan: He came out of nowhere last season due to Berquist's injury. His pace and passing ability is outstanding and he scores a lot of tries. I want to see him kick more goals and prove he can close out tight games. He and Sexton may end up forming a 10-12.

A Centre: I don't believe that Darcy and BOD can keep going but I know Joe will phase a newbie in with one of the experienced lads (BOD most like be it at 12 or 13) so guys like O'Malley, McFadden and even Fitzgerald have a shot. Someone has to step up to the plate big time and now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I'd add Macken to that list Pete, I think he could overtake O'Malley this year in line for the 13 shirt.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:58 pm

I actually don't care which young Irish centre at Leinster steps up but someone needs to and soon.

I have to say I like O'Malley a lot and hope he can stay ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm

I've seen Eoin O'Malley a few times this season and he looks fantastic, better than McFadden, I was surprised he wasn't drafted into the Irish squad already.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 pm

munkian wrote:For the Dragons

Steffan Jones - Very young FB/Flyhalf - has had some good games for us

Tom Prydie - Signed from Scarlets - Youngest capped Welshmen (I think) - jsut had some very good games for the u20S team - looking forward to see what he can do for us

Nimmo - Big no frills lock signed from the Pirates

Chavanaga - Very fast SA winger - very dangerous when he gets the ball - with Brew gone we should look to him more

Agree with Steffan Jones I saw him a few times last season with the Dragons, as well as on TV for Cross Keys and live for the Premiership select XV against Georgia he looks a class act, though maybe a little inconsistent, he started last season with a bang, went off the boil a bit but finished strongly. He's a bit like a young Anthony Clement.

Prydie was signed from the Ospreys. thumbsup But I agree he is a class act and really needs top flight rugby to develop, he will be on the right wing with Chav on the left this season. That's a very dangerous combination.

Dan Way might be a suprise package for the Dragons this season I'm very suprised no one has given him a mention he is the guy who pretty much sealed the fate of Cai Griffiths at the Ospreys. He's a really strong prop, I think this will be a big season for him.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Notch wrote:Jared Payne could have a massive impact for Ulster this season. Paddy Jackson will be central for better or worse. And the wildcard is young lock/backrow Iain Henderson.

I'd go with these. Want to see Luke Marshall show some of the earlier potential as well.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 am

That you ulster halfback pairing of Jackson and Marshall are really exciting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Up in Glasgow i'm looking forward to seeing how Nick Campbell goes. He has been knocking around the team for a few years and started last season very well before injury derailed him.

A massive unit at 6'8", if he can improve his mobility and stay injury free I think he will make a serious impact.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Looking forward to seeing Jordan coughlan and Conor Gilsenan in Leinster jumpers. Two very good backrows in the Leinster academy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 am

Do you expect them to get much gametime?

Leinster have a pretty jammed backrow. Heaslip, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, Auv'a
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 am

red_stag wrote:Do you expect them to get much gametime?

Leinster have a pretty jammed backrow. Heaslip, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, Auv'a

Ruddock and O'Brien are both out until Oct/Nov, Heaslip and McLaughlin will be subject to the player welfare program. Leaves just Jennings, Ryan and Auva'a, someone needs to cover the bench at the start of the season and during the international window.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 am

In that case they'll definitely get a look in especially as they have been playing matches over the summer. What XV are you hoping Leinster to send out in their first match this year.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 am

Another player at the Scarlets that might have a break through next season is Nic Reynolds. A creative number 13 with significant pace who has been a prolific try scorer in the Premiership. He has yet to transfer his performances from the premiership into regional rugby, having had a few chances for the region but almost always out of postion on the wing. The scarlets are well stocked in the centres with Scott Williams, Jon Davies, Gareth Maule, Gareth Owen, Adam Warren etc…but apparently Reynolds is looking sharp in pre season training and impressing the coaching team.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:31 am

pioden - I always though of Reynolds and Scott Williams it was Reynolds who looked the better players, well when they were younger. He thought when Regan King left that Reynolds would step up, as he seemed more graceful, and ghosted through tackles as opposed to smashing his way through. I would like to see him given his chance, and take it. However with the number of centres we have at PYS at the moment I think he will either take his chance and shine, or disappear totally.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:35 am

I think it is going to be a good year for you Scarlets. I think you should be definitely managing to win 3/6 European games and making the Top 4 in the Rabo.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

So Stag, who do you see as the Top 4 in the Rabo this season then? Which of this seasons four will drop out if Scarlets and Ulster move up?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

spiderman: i agree on reynolds, but he is very much in the last chance saloon. fingers crossed this is his year to shine.

Red Stag: think our season will depend on the quality of our next two signings. We are recruiting a TH and another lock hopefully within the next two weeks. If they are good enough to help our pack gain parity with the big boys of european rugby, we have the backline to damage most teams.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 am

red_stag wrote:In that case they'll definitely get a look in especially as they have been playing matches over the summer. What XV are you hoping Leinster to send out in their first match this year.

It depends Stag, if our first game is away to Ospreys (as it was last year) then we need to target a win, virtually at all costs (i.e. screw development!)

VDM – Strauss – Hagan/Bent
Toner – Browne
Ryan – Auva’a – Jennings
Boss/Cooney – Madigan
Carr – O’Shea – O’Malley – Conway
Nacewa

Dundon/Sexton – Bent/Hagan – J. McGrath – J. Murphy – Cooney/L.McGrath – Reid – Hudson

We’re pretty thin in the center with BOD, Darcy and McFadden out, maybe we can sign Nonu for the start of the season…?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 am

Mickado wrote:
red_stag wrote:In that case they'll definitely get a look in especially as they have been playing matches over the summer. What XV are you hoping Leinster to send out in their first match this year.

It depends Stag, if our first game is away to Ospreys (as it was last year) then we need to target a win, virtually at all costs (i.e. screw development!)

Toner – Browne
Ryan – Auva’a – Jennings
Boss/Cooney – Madigan
Nacewa

Dundon/Sexton – Bent/Hagan – J. McGrath – J. Murphy – Cooney/L.McGrath – Reid – Hudson

We’re pretty thin in the center with BOD, Darcy and McFadden out, maybe we can sign Nonu for the start of the season…?

Mick that is looking a bit lightweight OK for an away trip to Ospreys. Bench options aren't great either.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:44 am

Fixture list leaked by Ospreys.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/downloads/2012-13fixtures.pdf
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

Rava wrote:Fixture list leaked by Ospreys.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/downloads/2012-13fixtures.pdf

Good old Ospreys breaking the rules before the season has even started.

Not good for Scarlets (Leinster H, Glasgow A, Connacht A, Ospreys H) one win in the first four would be a good result
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

Rava wrote:So Stag, who do you see as the Top 4 in the Rabo this season then? Which of this seasons four will drop out if Scarlets and Ulster move up?

Could be Glasgow, could be Ospreys, could be Munster you never know.

All it takes is a few injuries or a bad run of games.

Scarlets were just 3 points off 3rd place. One single match was the difference.

Ulster were just a win or two away from playoffs.

Squad depth will be a big one.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Rava wrote:
Mickado wrote:

Toner – Browne
Ryan – Auva’a – Jennings
Boss/Cooney – Madigan
Nacewa

Mick that is looking a bit lightweight OK for an away trip to Ospreys. Bench options aren't great either.

Agreed, but we can't start whinging about losing players to the national team, we're not Leicester! Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next