The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016

+4
ChequeredJersey
formerly known as Sam
HongKongCherry
Geordie
8 posters

Go down

Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016 Empty Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016

Post by Geordie Mon 07 Sep 2015, 12:53 pm

Well the world cup will dominate...

But domestically....has your team signed a player that you cant wait to see play....or has a rival team signed a player...like George Smith at Wasps who could be a great signing.

Or do you have some academy lads coming in who are going to take the prem by storm.

Or are you looking to see some important missing injured players back in to your team.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016 Empty Re: Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 07 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

There's quite a few from a Glaws perspective that I'll be really interested to see how they go this year. Jeremy Thrush at lock and Mariano Galarza, who was injured for the vast bulk of last season, could add real set piece nous to the Glaws pack. Paddy McAllister has joined at LH and was once an academy player at Ulster until a very serious injury. Apparently he is highly rated, but I've heard that before for Glaws prop signings, Dario Chistolini anyone?! I fully expect Ross Moriarty to push on and secure a first team spot ahead of Kalamafoni this year. Tom Marshall in the backs is another top signing from the SH, who can play across the backline and has an English goldfish to boot! However, for me it is going to be another season of seeing Kvesic develop. He was outstanding last year and is clearly benefiting from the guidance of Laurie Fisher. After the RWC, Bomber may be more open to trying alternatives at 7 insteed of Robshaw and we shall hopefully see Kvesic fulfil his undoubted potential. I've not listed PDJ as we all already know how good he is Shocked

From a wider perspective there have been a few interesting signings. I am particularly keen to see how Matt Symons goes at Irish; he was talked up by the Chiefs, so is he really that good and can he break into the England set up in a highly competitive position?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016 Empty Re: Prem Players to watch this season - 2015 / 2016

Post by Geordie Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:15 pm

Yeah ive seen a lot written about that Matt Symons, but don't really know a huge amount about him or his style.

I think Kvesic should have really been pushing for a WC spot on this seasons performances, and have said on many of the threads Lancaster should have looked at him in a few of the games.

You could have a more powerful pack this season if a few of the guys turn up. As you say that young Moriarty will bring power and aggression to your back row.

And Johnny May looks like he's getting better and better.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:18 pm

I have to say May is a joy to watch. He's one of those players when you genuinely get excited every time he gets the ball.

Who are Falcons' players to watch Geordie?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 07 Sep 2015, 6:46 pm

Pearce at Tigers. A unit with unnatural pace for someone that big, his education is continuing so watch for his improvements. In a back row with Williams the blindside that loves a big hit and Fonua the monstrous number 8 there's some serious size at Tigers this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Slade, Hill, Campagnaro midfield at Chiefs. That's a midfield with serious dynamic potential, all three are seriously good players already. Could be attacking fireworks in the Chiefs backs.

Part of me is also intrigued to see if Joel Conlon will break into the Sarries team. I thought he looked a great player at under 20 level but didn't really fit the mould of a Chiefs 6 and didn't seem to get a go in the attacking 8 role ala Waldrom. At Sarries in the wolf pack defence and with their power game he could star.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm

From Quins - A few young's guys needing to step up this season but my 4 to watch will be:

1) Jack Clifford - Age group England Captain, can play across the back row and didn't look out of place at all in his first perm year cameos last year. Arguably one of our better players last season and will start ahead of Wallace for me. In a back row with Easter and Robshaw, could be magical

2) James Chisholm - very young but a machine at U20 level and another captain to boot Wink he will have cameo parts to play this season with Easter old and covering our weakness at lock and Robshaw away with England. Scores tries like a back

3) Joe Marchant - played a bit last season, should grow into his role this season as a real starting option at centre. Really pacey but with a round skill set too and just needs a tiny bit more bulk (but not enough to lose his speed please)

4) Charlie Walker - I know he's hardly new and we now have Visser in the side too, but with Visser away at RWC, the still young Walker will be starting for us with Yarde for a while and will need to play a lot this season with Tiks to Irsh this season, OLH and Chisholm covering FB, Visser an international, and TW and Ugo retired. When he's had a run in the past he's scored some excellent tries
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:There's quite a few from a Glaws perspective that I'll be really interested to see how they go this year. Jeremy Thrush at lock and Mariano Galarza, who was injured for the vast bulk of last season, could add real set piece nous to the Glaws pack. Paddy McAllister has joined at LH and was once an academy player at Ulster until a very serious injury. Apparently he is highly rated, but I've heard that before for Glaws prop signings, Dario Chistolini anyone?! I fully expect Ross Moriarty to push on and secure a first team spot ahead of Kalamafoni this year. Tom Marshall in the backs is another top signing from the SH, who can play across the backline and has an English goldfish to boot! However, for me it is going to be another season of seeing Kvesic develop. He was outstanding last year and is clearly benefiting from the guidance of Laurie Fisher.  After the RWC, Bomber may be more open to trying alternatives at 7 insteed of Robshaw and we shall hopefully see Kvesic fulfil his undoubted potential.  I've not listed PDJ as we all already know how good he is  Shocked

From a wider perspective there have been a few interesting signings.  I am particularly keen to see how Matt Symons goes at Irish; he was talked up by the Chiefs, so is he really that good and can he break into the England set up in a highly competitive position?

He was playing for the Chiefs. That means he is already pretty bloody good
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 08 Sep 2015, 9:06 am

Who are Falcons' players to watch Geordie?

Ah im not sure who to say - theres literally so many ill be interested in. We have signed a number of new players, none star names...all Deans type of players.

For me personally I think i'm more interested in seeing how some of our previous players /kids go.

Can Scott Wilson really come through this season with Brookes away. He looked very impressive against Georgia - a team renowned for their scrum.

Outside centre Chris Harris was excellent in his limited games last season (many on the wing actually), and so far in two friendlies at 13 he has looked a level above. He runs great lines and just seems to make ground in space. He's also added some muscle on and was smashing people left, right and centre in defence. His partnership with Current Argentina 12 Juan Pablo Socino could be a cracker.

Hammersley - He's a known player now...how will he cope.
Zac Kibirige - Has he recovered from his appalling injury...to make really challenge for a spot.

Academy No.8 Calum Chick is the England U18 captain, and captained our 7's team a few weeks back. He wont play loads....but I will be watching his cameos with interest.

Will Witty England u20 second row. Can he continue his impressive progression.

From the older guys -

Can Callum Green continue to be the unassuming power/workhorse in the engine room.

And Will Kolo'ufai our big tongan No.8 stay fit. We were crying out for a huge ball carrier last season...but he was permanently injured. If he's fit...he could bring what we missed last season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm

Looking forward to seeing how the contenders for the England 12 shirt go, Sam Hill, Tom Stephenson, Ollie Devoto, Henry Slade if played there etc

Would think that Barritt isn't going to be at the next World Cup, so over the next 12-18 months one of those guys will come through

Also very intrigued to see how Burgess develops as a 6 if Bath continue to play him there as I hope they will

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:36 pm

Agree with all of that BamBam.

One player I hope can kick on is Rob Lozowski's boy at Wasps. Looked good at the tail end of last season, and though he will be competing with gopperth and Jackson I really hope he nails down the 10 shirt.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm

BamBam wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the contenders for the England 12 shirt go, Sam Hill, Tom Stephenson, Ollie Devoto, Henry Slade if played there etc

Would think that Barritt isn't going to be at the next World Cup, so over the next 12-18 months one of those guys will come through

Also very intrigued to see how Burgess develops as a 6 if Bath continue to play him there as I hope they will

Most likely to see Devoto lining up at 10 during the WC, as we don't have any other options, other than the U20s FH. FH certainly isn't his best position, he's better as a second receiver and isn't a great goalkicker, hence why we signed Tom Homer I guess.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm

Also I want to see how George Lowe does finally back in his proper position of 13 after a horrible few seasons of injury, with a powerful centre like Stanley or Roberts inside him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 09 Sep 2015, 1:06 am

I think LT hits the nail on the head with the added bulk in the pack at Tigers with Pearce, Fonau and Mike Williams in the back row.

I would add Harry Thacker to those three, but hopefully as an openside. Contrary to many I think that he would be able to become solid at the set piece as a hooker despite his size. It will never be strength of his game in the front row however. On the otherhand I really like an all action 7 who offers a link man between his forwards and backs in attack and defence. Here I think Thacker has all the attributes to excel. His pace off the mark makes him a threat ball in hand both close in and out wide. Plus his sheer tenacity makes him a real pain in the arse as a defender.

After those I am looking forward to seeing what heights the injured trio of Slater, Croft and Manu can reach if they get/stay fit. I also hope to see Niki Goneva back to his best if better squad depth allows him to be used more sparingly and primarily as a winger.

If he returns from his nasty leg break strongly then I would also expect Niall Morris to impress a few from full back.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down