The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

+30
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Smirnoffpriest
clivemcl
Rory_Gallagher
Golden
Gibson
thebluesmancometh
wales606
GunsGerms
EST
Rava
pete (buachaill on eirne)
ScarletSpiderman
tatterd
munkian
Thomond
LeinsterFan4life
red_stag
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pete330v2
LordDowlais
George Carlin
Mickado
pioden gorllewin
funnyExiledScot
Notch
RDW
Shifty
maestegmafia
34 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season? - Page 2 Empty Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

First topic message reminder :

I was wondering if you had any suggestions of players that we should be looking out for this season from your team..?

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

Post by GunsGerms Wed 11 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

red_stag wrote:Do you expect them to get much gametime?

Leinster have a pretty jammed backrow. Heaslip, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, Auv'a

They probably wont but I'd be happy to see Dom Ryan have a big year instead because I think now that he has ditched the peroxide hair he has all the characteristics of a big game player. He is a real gun slinger.

I have been watching Coughlan and Gilsenan a few years at schoolboy level. Both very athletic. Coughlan turned down the chance to play cricket for Ireland to join Leinster and Gilsenan is a pretty tough operator. Gilsenan marginally avoided suspension for the senior cup final a few years after getting sent off in the semis amid allegations of eye gouging. luckly the allegations were proven to be unfounded.

Both are very athletic and have senior cup medals to their names.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rabbo players you recommend us to watch at your team this season?

Post by wales606 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

Cardiff Blues

Cory Allen - To replace Evans by the end of the season?
Robin Copeland - Best player in the English Championship last season
Andreus Pretorious - Back from injury
Harry Robinson - To make the first team?
Jason Tovey - Finally a good 10?
Kristian Dacey - First choice 2 by end of season?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 11 Jul 2012, 2:29 pm

Wales

Do you really see Allen getting past Evans and Hewitt this season? I don't think he has the game yet, 2-3 seasons in my eyes.

Copeland was good last season, although I only saw him a few times granted. The most exciting part of that transfer to me is how a top championship player copes in the Rabo.

Pretorious has been hampered, and I can only see another bit part season sadly.

Robinson is getting better, but I still don't think he's ready yet, James is a try scorer.

Tovey - When I first saw this I was very excited, but I'm just not sure now. From what I know of him, and from those I've spoken to... good riddance. Lets hope theyre wrong and he kicks on.

Dacey - is going to get gametime because of lack of options, lets hope he steps up.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 11 Jul 2012, 2:49 pm

I’ll be interested in how Copeland gets on for the Blues next year, he was on the books with Leinster at one stage I think, he played for St Marys and was considered to be a very good lock in the AIL. He’s got a remarkable try scoring record for a second row.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Wales

Do you really see Allen getting past Evans and Hewitt this season? I don't think he has the game yet, 2-3 seasons in my eyes.

Copeland was good last season, although I only saw him a few times granted. The most exciting part of that transfer to me is how a top championship player copes in the Rabo.

Pretorious has been hampered, and I can only see another bit part season sadly.

Robinson is getting better, but I still don't think he's ready yet, James is a try scorer.

Tovey - When I first saw this I was very excited, but I'm just not sure now. From what I know of him, and from those I've spoken to... good riddance. Lets hope theyre wrong and he kicks on.

Dacey - is going to get gametime because of lack of options, lets hope he steps up.

Allen looked very good for the U20s, he was the best Welsh back in one of the games and was very good defensively and in attack. He brings more than Evans and is now playing 13 (rather than 12) which suggests he is being looked at as Roberts partner for the future.

Not sure why you say that about Pretorious? He and Hamilton are all we have at 8 and he played very well in his return at the end of the season

Robinson may not be fully ready, but the Blues will be under pressure to start him when available.

Tovey should improve, and will be better at playing an expansive game than Parks.

Dacey will get gametime on merit, I have wanted to see him in the 22 a lot more for a couple of years now.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:50 pm

censored
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:30 pm

Wales

Don't get me wrong, Allen looks more than capable at U20's level. But lets be fair, resigning Evans was for a reason (although granted that wasn't Davies)
I can see Allen getting half a dozen maybe a few more Rabo appearances but thats at an optimistic guess. He needs a few more years yet.

I know we only have Pretorious and Hamilton at 8, and thats a little worrying now! Pretorious looked the business 2 seasons ago, but that was at 6. He looked ok recently but not much more. I actually was really impressed by Hamilton at 8, he annoyed me with the U20's. Warbs may be shifted to cover at times IMO, with Navidi getting better and better.

Of course you are 100% right regarding Tovey and Robinson.

Dacey has looked good, and probably the reason TRT was allowed to leave.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:48 pm

I wouldn't write off Pretorious

Player of the season last time he was fit, he played very well on his return last season (against Scarlets?) - I think he will step up well and give us a much better forward pack.

Allen may not break though this season (but I hope he does), but in the medium term, he will be playing outside Roberts (unless Owen Williams pushes on)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 11 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm

Ye I see Allen at 13 in 2 years maybe, but he's a big boy too isn't he, and I don't see a massive amount of guile from him (well aside from his offloading game which is pretty good IMO)

Not writing Pretorious off, he was immense at 6 when he came on the scene, but he hasn't shown the same form since, I hope he gets back to it!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm

Mickado wrote:
Rava wrote:
Mickado wrote:
red_stag wrote:In that case they'll definitely get a look in especially as they have been playing matches over the summer. What XV are you hoping Leinster to send out in their first match this year.

It depends Stag, if our first game is away to Ospreys (as it was last year) then we need to target a win, virtually at all costs (i.e. screw development!)

VDM – Strauss – Hagan/Bent
Toner – Browne
Ryan – Auva’a – Jennings
Boss/Cooney – Madigan
Carr – Macken – O’Malley – Conway
Nacewa

Dundon/Sexton – Bent/Hagan – J. McGrath – J. Murphy – Cooney/L.McGrath – Reid – Hudson

We’re pretty thin in the center with BOD, Darcy and McFadden out, maybe we can sign Nonu for the start of the season…?

Mick that is looking a bit lightweight OK for an away trip to Ospreys. Bench options aren't great either.

Agreed, but we can't start whinging about losing players to the national team, we're not Leicester! Wink

Ha! True. How many did we have with Ireland in the end? 15?

I'd put Macken in beside O Malley, Mick. Unless he's injured? Be quite a deadly backline with Madigan running the show.

Its not a bad side at all. That backrow wont shirk. Either will the whole pack. It would beat most teams in the PRO12. In fact, most of those lads actually won the PRO12 league proper, last year.

But, the bench is light. Only one way for them to learn.

My choice for Leinster starlets to come good this year: Macken, O Malley, Conway & Ryan. Toner & Madigan already have.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:09 pm

Gibson,

Toner still has a lot to do. Lets see if he has earned his starting place or will he be behind Quinn Roux and Leo Cullen.

I agree on your 4 names. A big year for them. There is a chance that Macken simply has to take. He has Darcy, O'Driscoll and McFadden all missing. Must take it.

I think Cronin can win Strauss' shirt at hooker. This is the year he emerges provincially.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Looking forward to seeing Jordan coughlan and Conor Gilsenan in Leinster jumpers. Two very good backrows in the Leinster academy.

Gotta say I thought Conan looked the pick of the bunch.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm

He did indeed. One thing I noticed about Conan, apart from his fantastic work rate and ability to burst through a tackle, is his pace. That guy is a very quick number 8 off the base of the scrum. Left many 9s and wingers for dead at times.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:03 am

Agree. I can see the headlines now...
Conan The Irish Barbarian.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:09 am

red_stag wrote:Gibson,

Toner still has a lot to do. Lets see if he has earned his starting place or will he be behind Quinn Roux and Leo Cullen.

I agree on your 4 names. A big year for them. There is a chance that Macken simply has to take. He has Darcy, O'Driscoll and McFadden all missing. Must take it.

I think Cronin can win Strauss' shirt at hooker. This is the year he emerges provincially.

Its good for Toner he has this competition. He came good last season. Needs to keep improving at that rate, do so consistently and he's in the Leinster XV and then maybe ... Irish, squad.

Strauss is a better player than Cronin. But its also good for Cronin, to see if he can match him. Specially when Richardt is IQ. He'll have to step it up to replace him at Leinster. He's still no 2. If you'll pardon the obvious.

I want to see Seanie win that particular race. On pure merit alone. Not just because he is Irish born.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:14 am

Gibson wrote:Agree. I can see the headlines now...
Conan The Irish Barbarian.

Love it Very Happy

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:48 am

Another guy at Edinburgh that I am really wanting to see push on this year is Lee Jones. Last season was his breakthrough season where he was ever present in the Edinburgh backline and got his Scotland caps in the 6N until he was knocked out by Trimble. He then came back to put in a strong performance against Toulouse in the HK quarter final.

He has strong competition for the number 14 top at Scotland now that Visser has the 11 shirt, so this will be a key season for him and will probably show whether he really is the real deal and will become a top International winger.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:51 am

red_stag wrote:Gibson,

Stag, Toner will not be behind Roux in the pecking order at any stage next season.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:25 am

In which case Mick, I'll agree he has made it and withdraw my comments.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

Agree about Payne for Ulster, but i'm equally excited seeing Bowe return to Ulster. Hopefully he will reach the tryline more than Trimble and Gilroy have managed to in recent times.

Back three of Payne, Bowe , Gilroy/Trimble is mouthwatering!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

Toner played 30 games last year, more than Strauss or Nacewa who are considered squad corner stones, he may have been moved to the bench after Thorns arrival but this year he’s going to be our most important second row I think.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:42 am

I hope so Mick. There were glimpses of what he could do (that game against Bath in the HCup) but then when it looked liked he was about to step up they went and signed Brad Thorn instead.

Really hope we see him play. We need locks coming through.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:46 am

Then whats the point of signing Roux on a one year deal if he won't be a regular? Headscratch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:48 am

Im guessing Notch that he will be cover. Toner takes Thorns spot in the team and Roux takes Toners on the bench.

I wonder will Toner get the shot though.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

Is there a chance that Cullen will be the one to make way for Roux? I know he is My Captain but he isn't getting any younger. Leinster might mothball him a bit in the Rabo games.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

I'm a bit confused by the signing of Roux to be honest, i don't know how things are going to pan out, but I would be completely shocked if he's going to be ahead of Toner in the squad. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Cullen loses the captaincy this year to Heaslip, he shouldn't be undroppable.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

Mick, should Kearney be considered as a captaincy option?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:37 am

I think he has the attributes of very good captain Rav, but I'm just not sure that a fullback is a great position for a captian to be in. Leaders can be anywhere on the pitch and he does lead, but a captain IMO should be a leader who's always close to the action and in the refs ear.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

Oh I don't know Mick. Geordan Murphy hasn't done a bad job for Leicester. Smile
Although I do agree I think it should be someone in the thick of it.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

Mick - Alfie did a great job of captaining Wales from fullback too. THat said I must be honest I would expect someone like Heaslip or SOB to take the armband.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:25 pm

Would you guys not see sexton as our next captain?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 12 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

From a Leinster perspective I think that Kearney, Sexton, Heaslip or Reddan are the captain choices.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 12 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

I know it's been said, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Rhodri Jones impressing this season - particularly if we sign a good TH for him to play next to. I think Shingler & Liam Williams will have really strong seasons.

Other than that I'm excited by the potential of Dan Thomas, Jordan Williams, Warren & Gareth Davies

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 12 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

Is O'Brien an option for the captaincy?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Would you guys not see sexton as our next captain?
Too petulant - or at least that's what Sin told me Run

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:38 pm

Rava wrote:Is there a chance that Cullen will be the one to make way for Roux? I know he is My Captain but he isn't getting any younger. Leinster might mothball him a bit in the Rabo games.

I think that would be the way to go Rav. If not him, then one of the younger, Irish ones. I believe that this will be his last year as Captain. And as a 1st-choice player. He has 3 x HC's. I think he could make 4 as Captain. Would that be a record? Either way, we need to bring younger locks through.

Damian Browne is 32. It wont come from there. Mark Flanagan? He's only 23. He has a chance. Toner has just turned 26. He needs to nail it down this season. Denton is 24. Know nowt about him. Is he a 1st-teamer? Born in England. Is he IQ? So at the minute, it looks like Toner, Flanagan & Denton are our great white hopes. Quinn Roux(21) in to back em up, or to hold them back a year? I hope it's the former.

I am surprised we didnt get a WC, experienced, lock in, to help them develop. Brad Thorn would have been great, for just one more year. Huge influence in his short time with us. Be worth paying him to just to show em what it really takes. Like he did v ASM.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:44 pm

Gibson wrote:
Rava wrote:Is there a chance that Cullen will be the one to make way for Roux? I know he is My Captain but he isn't getting any younger. Leinster might mothball him a bit in the Rabo games.

I think that would be the way to go Rav. If not him, then one of the younger, Irish ones. I believe that this will be his last year as Captain. And as a 1st-choice player. He has 3 x HC's. I think he could make 4 as Captain. Would that be a record? Either way, we need to bring younger locks through.

Damian Browne is 32. It wont come from there. Mark Flanagan? He's only 23. He has a chance. Toner has just turned 26. He needs to nail it down this season. Denton is 24. Know nowt about him. Is he a 1st-teamer? Born in England. Is he IQ? So at the minute, it looks like Toner, Flanagan & Denton are our great white hopes. Quinn Roux(21) in to back em up, or to hold them back a year? I hope it's the former.

I am surprised we didnt get a WC, experienced, lock in, to help them develop. Brad Thorn would have been great, for just one more year. Huge influence in his short time with us. Be worth paying him to just to show em what it really takes. Like he did v ASM.

3 as captain is already a record. Pelous has 2, Dusatoir has 1.

Denton is IQ alright Gibbo, granny rule i believe.

As for the world class lock, while i think we could do with one, there just aren't any on the market.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

Brilliant, Mick the Stat. They can never take that off him. 4 would never be beaten. I wonder will Joe give the armband to someone else this year?

Good that Denton is IQ. Worth investing time and effort in him so. Shrewd move.

Well if Brad wants another Irish nixer...

Are we finished with our squad for this year, you think?

Cant understand bringing in yerman Goodman. Backup for Madigan?
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/joueur_9973.html
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm

I hope we can bring in one big name player.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:13 pm

Gibson wrote:Are we finished with our squad for this year, you think?

Cant understand bringing in yerman Goodman. Backup for Madigan?
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/joueur_9973.html

I'd say we've made all of our signings now at this stage, we usually announce them together, Bent and Denton were announced together, Roux and Goodman the same.

I can kinda see the sense in signing Goodman if you're of the opinion that Madigan could be called up the the international squad. With Sexton, BOD, Darcy, McFadden and possibly Madigan missing we could do with a more experienced player at 10 or 12. I suppose. This theory does assume that Kidney will pick Madigan, which is very wishful thinking...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:14 pm

Heaslip is due to be announced as next leinster captain, they're just keeping it underwraps until Leo gets back from holidays.. some bloke in abakababra told me..... Cool

From an Ulster pov : all eyes will be on Bowe, Payne, Wilson and Paddy Jackson.... Ian Henderson is the bolter.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:23 pm

What do you think Rods, will Henderson get much gametime with Stevenson and Muller there from the start of the season? He looked awesome at U20's level, hope he keeps it up.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

I'd guess not Mick but it depends on Anscombe.

I'd like to see him get a few games at blindside in the Rabo plus the odd game alongside Muller in the second row.

I hope he gets a decent bit of gametime though, physically he looks ready. Definitely potentially much better than Touhy and Stevenson and if this is Mullers last season(?) he needs to start breaking through.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:37 pm

Ospreys - hope to see more of Matt Morgan. Dirksen should continue to thrive now as he'll have first dibs on the 14 shirt too. Will also be interesting to see how Spratt gets on now he's returning to Ospreylia.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:03 pm

Cari your young Ospreys were a joy to watch at the end of last season and fully deserved to win the playoffs. Hope they can continue to be pleasing to the eye Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

Not my team but I am looking forward to seeing the new SH that Glasgow have just signed. He looked like the mutts nuts against Scotland.
I just hope he doesn't freeze his own nuts off during a Scottish winter

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:34 am

I just hope the Ospreys relegate Khan to third choice behind Weebb and Habberfield and release him mid season.

He has not been a great signing for us, now he is just holding back better young welsh players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

Very interesting that Joe Schmidt has switched Jordan Coughlan to the backs for the coming season due to Leinsters depth in the back row. He is definitly one to watch now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:51 pm

Glasgow - I think DTH will have big season this year at centre/wing, and his Canadian buddy Taylor Paris will score a few out wide. Seering pace.

Edinburgh - all eyes on Ben Atiga, our NZ recruit. An absolute unit by all accounts and could add some direct running to the Edinburgh midfield. Also Nel at tighthead looks like an excellent signing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

FES mate,

Any Scottish players you are looking forward to seeing that we might not be aware of?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next