The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sky to freeze PPV

+9
WelshDevilRob
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Seanusarrilius
The Galveston Giant
TopHat24/7
coxy0001
Rowley
Scottrf
eddyfightfan
13 posters

Go down

sky to freeze PPV  Empty sky to freeze PPV

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/sky-puts-freeze-ppvs

sky are no longer going to be showing boxing on PPV. this a good thing in principal, but i do think it may just mean less boxing with be shown on sky, and primetime will take a lot of the fights on as well as few of the new channels coming through. i did read at one point the execs at sky were spending a lot of time dealing with the boxing ppv deals, even though other sports very more popular, so this could be a reason. i could be wrong though, and sky may just have had a change of heart and decided that the boxing fans deserve to watch there sport without forking £15 out a time just to watch any half decent fights, however i remain to be convinced, and time will tell.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

sky to freeze PPV  Empty Re: sky to freeze PPV

Post by Scottrf Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

Look forward to Khan vs Mayweather on Sky Sports 1.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Eddy whilst obviously this is a good thing think people should not be too quick to see this as a massive act of altruism on Sky's part. Reality is with Haye's future up for doubt and his stock at an all time low, Khan with primetime, Degale rebuliding, Hatton retired and Cleverly still a work in progress Sky simply do not have any fighters capable of carrying a PPV.

Would suspect there is an element of them being stung by the criticism of shows such as Audley vs Haye being on PPV or fans being asked to shell out for domestic match ups but think it is more a reflection of the dearth of talent or crossover fighters that has caused this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

Good news

Is all a bit of a financial balancing act, but can you imagine how much they could command for an ad slot inbetween rounds (think Superbowl ad slots that go for millions) on their normal SS channels? Offsetting that against the portion of PPV money they get results in probably quite a sensible move.

With no Hatton/Haye there isn't anyone worthy of PPV. Khan's figures are awful (and it does cost Sky a fair whack putting fights on PPV) and the likes of Degale, Groves etc couldn't garner enough support by themselves (yet anyway).

At least we can see Khan get spanked by FMJ on SS1 eh

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

exactly, thats what im seeing- think the amount of boxing they even bother showing will drop. i think one of the problems might be the lack of a governing body, whereas they can deal directly with FIFA etc for football, and the games are mandatory in boxing people can pretty much fight who they like, with trainers, managers, promoters and boxers all getting a say in the shows it probably is a nightmare to arrange.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Good news

Is all a bit of a financial balancing act, but can you imagine how much they could command for an ad slot inbetween rounds (think Superbowl ad slots that go for millions) on their normal SS channels? Offsetting that against the portion of PPV money they get results in probably quite a sensible move.

With no Hatton/Haye there isn't anyone worthy of PPV. Khan's figures are awful (and it does cost Sky a fair whack putting fights on PPV) and the likes of Degale, Groves etc couldn't garner enough support by themselves (yet anyway).

At least we can see Khan get spanked by FMJ on SS1 eh

Except Khan will be Primetime. Might finally be a fight worth paying the admin/signup charge for.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Except Khan will be Primetime. Might finally be a fight worth paying the admin/signup charge for.
Khan vs Mayweather would be on Sky Box Office.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

Sky's failure to showcase overseas talent to a wider audience has come back to bite them in the rear end. Had they bothered to do this, they could have feasibly charged PPV rates for fights not necessarily featuring British fighters...or Manny Pacquiao (again!!!!!!).

Had they taken the brave decision to charge even £10 for a PPV event, it may have inspired more people to put their hands in their pockets thus generating revenue. Still, with Murdoch having cleaned up with the Formula 1 deal, I don't suppose he's going to care too much

Last edited by DAVE667 on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Sky will pay a lot more money for Khan/Mayweather and it would definately be box office.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

this would be great news if it wern't for primetime ans their crap ppv coverage, anyone worth ppv will go there and otherwise itsa s you were. But Warren will stick with Sky so well get to see his sweet cards on Sky sports 1, or as in my case, on streams from North America

Damn!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

primetime must be chuffed with this news £$£$£$£$£$

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:primetime must be chuffed with this news £$£$£$£$£$

yeah and we'll probably see more of 'Primetime' user on here now he'll have more sh!t to peddle...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 12 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

free primetime ppv for all 606 regular users would be nice

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm

We can probably blame David Haye for this. First the borefest with valuev, then a ho-hum bout with Ruiz, then the audley farce then his negative performance against Wlad, plus the lack of quality undercards provided by Hayemaker have probably led to negative feedback. Khan has defected to PrimeTime but isn't a big numbers fighter and has only been in one exiting fight in his life. And are stacked domestic cards worthy of £15 on top of your subscription? Absolutely not.

I applaud Sky for this, but if they aren't going to invest in big fights to put on ordinary Sky Sports then the fans will continue to suffer as the god awful PrimeTime will mop up and charge the extra money Sky won't. Many boxers - such as Khan - believe their own hype and think they deserve £2million for fighting their own postman, so will look to PrimeTime in an attempt to line their pockets.

Hopefully this will fail - Khan Judah numbers haven't been released but I doubt it cleaned up, given the lack of investment in promoting it and the fact it was on at 4am over here. McCloskey v Khan will have done better because if the Irish fansbase also buying into it and the UK start time. Hopefully fighters will realise that Sky have a big enough platform on which they can build their careers, and us punters will get it all included in our subscription fee like any other sports fan. But in the real world that won't happen, as long as there's tin-pot outfits like PrimeTime ready to offer the chance of a quick buck many will take a risk on it and see what numbers they can do - but I won't be buying anything on PT unless it's manny v floyd.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote: Many boxers - such as Khan - believe their own hype and think they deserve £2million for fighting their own postman, so will look to PrimeTime in an attempt to line their pockets.

Agree with this SBS read an interview with Khan where all he kept saying was he was a PPV fighter, that phrase makes my blood boil, there is no such thing as a PPV fighter there are PPV fights Manny and Floyd are the biggest stars in the world but if either announces Gavin Rees as an opponent that would not be a PPV fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:34 pm

Saw an interview with Eddie Hearn some time ago who through his dad has a great relationship with Sky saying the sport needs to get its house in order, when the Khan Mcloskey fight was falling apart he said the head of Sky sports was in the US for the US open golf and re-negotiating the tV deal for football and yet the fight was monopolising 90% of his time, given both the other events generate more advertsing and subscribers the maths of that simply do not add up.

Hopefully promoters will take this as a bit of a wake up call and ensure they work together to put decent match ups on and match their fighters competitively because if Sky did pull the plug the sport would be seriously up the creek in this country

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:35 pm

Sounds good but lets hope they aren't turning their back on boxing all together.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

People are saying this is a good thing, but if boxers feel it's impossible to get a PPV and make a big bit of money then we could see far more PPV fights down the line on mickeymouse channels like Primetime (No offense to them) and especially given the fact that Golden Boy aren't having ther best of times with Sky, there may be far less boxing to marvel at on your typical sky subscription...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:07 pm

exactly. i think sky wont give hardly any of there time towards boxing now, and if it is as difficult as its been reported to get a fight onto the screen they wont even bother. just shows boxing is in a worse state of affairs than most other sports.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:19 pm

It's down to the process which is annoying, realistically we need a MAJOR hype job to come now, we need a Mike Tyson I guess....

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

TYSON fury????

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:31 pm

Hmm... 🤦

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

i forgot to add a Whistle after that comment

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:50 pm

If Tyson Fury conquers the boxing world I shall never watch boxing again...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:57 pm

the name is the only thing him and tyson have in common. although i was impressed with his last performance he needs to improve dramatically to make a dent in the HW scene.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

If he wins a Heavyweight title I am boycotting the Heavyweight fights until he is dethroned I will have lost all creditability for the Heavyweight division... At least Wlad and Vit are good at something... We would have a man that is famed for uppercutting himself!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:12 am

The way the Heavyweights are going it wouldn't suprise me if Tyson Fury ends up being the main man lol.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:12 am

alma wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:The way the Heavyweights are going it wouldn't suprise me if Tyson Fury ends up being the main man lol.

Jimmy, that 3 letter abbreviation is banned on here, or if it isn't, it should be....

Just quietly, don't the admins have control over the swear filter? I mean they could in theory add "lol" to it so when used it would automatically generated to laugh out loud etc.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:15 am

coxy0001 wrote:
alma wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:The way the Heavyweights are going it wouldn't suprise me if Tyson Fury ends up being the main man lol.

Jimmy, that 3 letter abbreviation is banned on here, or if it isn't, it should be....

Just quietly, don't the admins have control over the swear filter? I mean they could in theory add "lol" to it so when used it would automatically generated to laugh out loud etc.

Or we could change the word "boxing", "Manny" and "Floyd" to appear as "lol" Wink

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:19 am

Hobo wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
alma wrote:

Or we could change the word "boxing", "Manny" and "Floyd" to appear as "lol" Wink

I think it would be great for lol if lol and lol were to fight in the near future.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down