The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ????

+7
OasisBFC
88Chris05
rodders
bellchees
TopHat24/7
STC
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ???? Empty Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 am

Easy to take styles and make decisions about fights........But I believe most fights are won before the bell starts at this level.....Wlad had Haye beaten.......Remember Akinwande-Welsh........Warring-Nelson.......Curry-Mccrory..

Never easy to believe 100% you can beat somebody and Mayweather...Haye and Froch are all quality...with Maywether being that bit better...

Fury  -  I genuinely believe he thinks he can win.......Haye is smaller and he's seen Wlad shut him out...a man of similar body make up...He's also probably to stupid to freeze......Odds on freezing 10 - 1.........

Groves - Interesting one......massive step up for the kid.......But he's unbeaten...knows Froch is getting on and has a shrewd Adam Booth to look for the technical flaws.....Then again Booth couldn't stop Haye freezing.........Think Groves believes he can win now but will he on the night......3-1 Groves freezes....

Canelo - Believe it or not I think he's more likely to freeze.....Fighting the best fighter of the last 20 years..........P4p Guerrero was owned...able to see Floyd beat the cream for years and he's being paid a huge amount of money he's no doubt thought what to do with already.....

Also unlike the others a Mayweather loss isn't the be all and end all....Still has riches awaiting regardless of the result......Does he believe he can win .....I don't know he might just go through the motions.....Most likely to freeze for me 12-5.......

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ???? Empty Re: Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ????

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:30 am

Can't see Canelo freezing, to be honest. He's young and fearless.

Same with Fury. I agree that he believes he can beat Haye. I genuinely think he believes he can beat anyone.

I'm not sure Groves will freeze, as such, but he might come to a point in the fight where he realises that he can't hurt Froch and just goes on the back foot. He may lose heart and capitulate in that sense.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ???? Empty Re: Groves/Canelo/Fury - Which one is more likely to freeze ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:56 am

Good points but Canelo is stepping up to a level he's never been....The pazazz/hype is of a magnitude it's never been and he's fighting a fighter who looks unbeatable........

Tyson intimidated Holmes........So for me Canelo is more likely...

Fury has the Wlad fight to hold onto........

Groves has Ward..............Kessler...

Canelo is peeing in the dark.........

If he doesn't freeze then I think he can win....

Good luck to Barker by the way...seems a nice guy..hope he does it.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:07 am

I see what you're saying about Canelo but he has been on the big stage, his fight with Sugar Shane was chief support to Floyd/Cotto. But you are right, this is still a step up for him and almost certainly the biggest fight he will ever have. This may dawn on him as he enters the ring. If he lets Floyd take control of the fight early on then he could be in for a frustrating night.

I just can't see Floyd bossing the fight as he did against Guerrero though. Canelo is much bigger and stronger than Guerrero and I can see Canelo having much the same success as Cotto did in cutting off the ring and trapping Floyd on the ropes. This could be a really tough fight for Floyd.

It's a tough one to call. Should be a great fight though.

I hope Barker pulls it off too. He deserves it.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

Can't see Fury freezing. Am growing to like the big lump and I think he's genuinely up for this and keen for a scrap.

With Canelo, I don't think he'll freeze at first, but after a couple of rounds he'll realise just how good Floyd is and how hard he is to fight and I think that'll affect him.

Groves is the big question mark for me, the most likely of the 3 to freeze IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

Good points..........Canelo has to really believe he can win........as Mayweather is the biggest legend on the Boxing planet...Him out of the three is the one for me likely to dis-believe....

However he has to come at it from a nothing-to-lose...Douglas perspective and think that all fighters get old eventually........

Maybe he will...

Like I say he will be rich and knows a loss isn't that HURTFUL..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Can't see Fury freezing.  Am growing to like the big lump and I think he's genuinely up for this and keen for a scrap.

With Canelo, I don't think he'll freeze at first, but after a couple of rounds he'll realise just how good Floyd is and how hard he is to fight and I think that'll affect him.

Groves is the big question mark for me, the most likely of the 3 to freeze IMO.
Was watching Snatch the other day......and before that I watched the movie.........Fury could be the Brad Pitt guy.....

He's more likeable than muppet-Haye.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

Fury came across a lot better than Haye in the presser, I thought, very funny and likeable whereas Haye just looked like a bit of an arrogant knob. Fury plays the clown well, just hope he brings his A-game to the actual fight so it stays competitive.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

I think Fury will be full of confidence until Haye lands sometime after 30 seconds in. He'll then realise he's in a world of trouble and might freeze up, the occasion got to him vs Cunningham so it could well do against Haye as well.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:22 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good points..........Canelo has to really believe he can win........as Mayweather is the biggest legend on the Boxing planet...Him out of the three is the one for me likely to dis-believe....

However he has to come at it from a nothing-to-lose...Douglas perspective and think that all fighters get old eventually........

Maybe he will...

Like I say he will be rich and knows a loss isn't that HURTFUL..
It's actually not a bad fight for Canelo this early in his career.

If he loses, to the best fighter on the planet, then nobody will think any less of him and he has plenty of time to rise to the top in the future.

If he wins, well, he goes down in history.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:24 am

Out of the above I think Fury may freeze.

I genuinely don't think he believes he is better than Haye, or has much chance here, and much like Chisora and Harrison has taken this fight for the money and the boost in profile.

His team know should he lose he can still fight for a world title at some stage, given most of the other heavyweight contenders have losses on their record. If he wins the world is his oyster.

I think he may freeze early but may grow into the fight if he survives the early rounds, otherwise will get wiped out by Haye.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:27 am

rodders wrote:Out of the above I think Fury may freeze.

I genuinely don't think he believes he is better than Haye, or has much chance here, and much like Chisora and Harrison has taken this fight for the money and the boost in profile.

His team know should he lose he can still fight for a world title at some stage, given most of the other heavyweight contenders have losses on their record. If he wins the world is his oyster.

I think he may freeze early but may grow into the fight if he survives the early rounds, otherwise will get wiped out by Haye.
Interesting Rod..........You see something I don't.....But you could be right.....

I think out of all of them fury has the best chance should all three faves come in at or near their best..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:31 am

I'm not sure that any of them will freeze so to speak, but if I had to pick one of them it'd probably be Groves. He's seemed a little bit nervy when interviewed alongside Froch in the promotion for their fight so far, and he must know that the respective styles of the pair means that he could end up being 'exposed' more than either Fury or Alvarez. There are better boxers out there than Froch, but while Haye can probe on the outside, get in and out and eventually ambush Fury with a big, fight-turning punch, and while Mayweather can leave Alvarez hitting thin air all night while neatly countering him to a wide points verdict, Froch can drag you in to a war and drown you in those waters you've never tasted before. All three of Groves, Fury and Alvarez could be shown up, but if one of them gets shown up in a humiliating, brutal fashion it's most likely to be Groves, and this thought must have crossed his mind.

I think a more likely scenario, as others have already said, is that one of them starts with the fight with perfect focus and belief but eventually just loses heart and gets discouraged as it wears on, and in that case I'd probably plump with Alvarez. I really don't think he has enough in his arsenal to even push Mayweather to his limits, nevermind beat him, and like a long list of other fighters from the past decade or so, I think he's most likely to end up reeling off that old "I knew he was good, but I didn't realise he was THAT good until I was in the ring with him!" line on September 14.

I don't particularly think either scenario will crop up, and hope they don't either, but if I had to pick that's probably how I'd see it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

It's a great question. All 3 are huge events and much bigger than either 3 have faced before, along with a huge step up in opposition.

regarding fury i think if he tastes haye's power early on and struggles to land anything himself he could suddenly find himself in very deep water.

groves could land flush on froch's chin and there's every chance froch will stand there and just hit back - probably harder than anyone has hit george before. if he can't get carl out of there he could be be in trouble. that said - i think he will execute a counter punching style and try and win by clocking the points up and frustrating carl rather than going to war with him.

and Canelo. he is younger and stronger and will not be getting hit with anything that will cause him much trouble. for him i think it could be frustrating more than anything and it's no shame losing to one of the best.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:33 am

there's an argument that fury froze against cunningham on his US debut.

his game plan went out of the window. hopefully his uncle will keep him in check although this is MUCH bigger than that fight.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:37 am

Haye EKO
Mayweather UD
Froch LKO

i think Fury will freeze as soon as Haye lands anything. Will try to box on the back foot with his limited ability. He will then let the occasion get to him and try to brawl. Major mistake and therefore Haye stops him.

Alvarez will be competitive for first three rounds at which point Mayweather adjusts and Alvarez simply can not. Ends up getting out punched and boxed around the ring punching air. Come end of fight i expect a swollen face maybe a cut or two after an easy nights work for Mayweather.

Groves, for me, is the likeliest to "freeze". The occasion will get to him from the go and when Froch is wound up and chasing him round the ring, Groves will realise just how much trouble he is in. Froch will take some to give some, which i think will dishearten Groves. I can see a Bute de ja vu happening with Groves getting literally hammered for around 7 rounds at which point Froch stops him. Wouldn't be surprised if he got sparked early.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:46 am

When I wrote it I expected Groves to be the one most plumped for......Not that mobiles girlfriend is plump or anything.....

However I seem something in Georgey boy......He had every right to be intimidated by Degale who was a favorite and being highly touted..

Think Chris might be right about non-freezing hence my odds.......

But canelo has the biggest test in a huge fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Not plump Truss, just simply round.

But i do agree that Canelo has the hardest test, i thi k Fury gets wiped out and i think Groves will give a good account of himself no matter what happens.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I don't see him getting wiped out.........Haye will give respect to a man who's 6ft 9 260 pound frame deserves it....

He'll pot shot..........but may have memories of the last 6'9 ish 260 pounder he faced.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 pm

The thing is with Fury in comparison to Valuev or Wladamir is that he likes to brawl. He leaves himself more open to right hands then Brandon Rios.

With Hayes power and speed, as soon as fury opens up, which i think he will early on, he will walk onto a massive right hand and that will be it.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:19 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:The thing is with Fury in comparison to Valuev or Wladamir is that he likes to brawl. He leaves himself more open to right hands then Brandon Rios.

With Hayes power and speed, as soon as fury opens up, which i think he will early on, he will walk onto a massive right hand and that will be it.
Good point. Fury is also fairly useless on the inside. He grabs hold as soon as his opponent gets too close and that's exactly where Haye will want to be, on the inside. If Haye can deal with Fury's jab and hand speed then it could be an early night.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Haye will also have been out for 15 months and Fury is a Wlad clone without the skill...Haye was cautious against Valuev and Wlad.........

Haye froze against Wlad.......too.......

Have to factor in all these things...

But consensus does favor you two..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Haye will also have been out for 15 months and Fury is a Wlad clone without the skill...Haye was cautious against Valuev and Wlad.........

Haye froze against Wlad.......too.......

Have to factor in all these things...

But consensus does favor you two..
Not so sure he froze against Wlad, more that he couldn't get close enough to be effective. Wlad's skills (much superior to Fury's, as you mentioned) enabled him to use his size advantage to keep Haye at arm's length. Fury doesn't have the skill to do that for 12 rounds.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I think Fury is more likely to boil over than freeze, as the fight gets nearer I can see him getting more and more frustrated and wound up as I think Haye will play it straight and not rise to any of Fury's baiting. Fury to come out swinging and as mobile said, Haye to finish it early.

Don't buy Trussman's "Wlad clone without the skill" argument, there is no way that Haye will freeze and play it cautiously as he knows that one punch could finish Fury. That was never going to happen against Wlad or Valuev, hence the run-away / pot-shot tactics.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I saw a thing with Wlad and Haye called Face off...A HBO thing and Wlad's cool confidence seemed to get to him...

I think he was intimidated.......He hardly engaged or took a risk all night.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Fury doesn't have Valuevs chin or Vlads reflexes and boxing ability.

Agree Truss that paradoxically Fury has the best chance of winning of the above but I think he looked intimidated at the press conference ... refusing the stare down and joking around, as crazy as he is there is fear there I think. As has been above said he took a while to grow into the cunningham fight.

Haye will hit and run for sure but if he catches Fury and rattles him I think he can finish the job. I don't think Haye will want a long fight and if fury starts like he did against Cunninghim he could get nailed.

Despite being the bigger man with a longer reach Fury's best chance is to pin Haye down and fight on the inside I think, wear him down and bully him but he has to get through the early rounds.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Union Cane wrote:I think Fury is more likely to boil over than freeze, as the fight gets nearer I can see him getting more and more frustrated and wound up as I think Haye will play it straight and not rise to any of Fury's baiting. Fury to come out swinging and as mobile said, Haye to finish it early.

Don't buy Trussman's "Wlad clone without the skill" argument, there is no way that Haye will freeze and play it cautiously as he knows that one punch could finish Fury. That was never going to happen against Wlad or Valuev, hence the run-away / pot-shot tactics.
After seeing Sanders/Brewster destroy Wlad...you not think Haye thought one punch finishes him...???

Fury's size will be daunting...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 pm

rodders wrote:Fury doesn't have Valuevs chin or Vlads reflexes and boxing ability.

Agree Truss that paradoxically Fury has the best chance of winning of the above but I think he looked intimidated at the press conference ... refusing the stare down and joking around, as crazy as he is there is fear there I think. As has been above said he took a while to grow into the cunningham fight.

Haye will hit and run for sure but if he catches Fury and rattles him I think he can finish the job. I don't think Haye will want a long fight and if fury starts like he did against Cunninghim he could get nailed.

Despite being the bigger man with a longer reach Fury's best chance is to pin Haye down and fight on the inside I think, wear him down and bully him but he has to get through the early rounds.
Maybe his clowning was a fear thing...........Haye can be devastating........

You could have a point..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Fury is more bluff and bluster than TRUSS. You can tell that already he knows he's going to get beaten, he just doesn't know at what stage or how badly and that will be giving him nightmares. For every scenario where he imagines beating Haye I bet there's three times as many scenarios rattling around that half empty noggin where he is cruelly exposed in front of a very unforgiving audience. If you think they love watching Audley get hammered, you wait until Fury is beaten....it will be merciless.

He'll joke and clown and be a "character" all the way through the build-up and then come fight night he'll be as lost as Danny Williams was when he fought Vitali...and probably hit the deck as many times.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:50 pm

You could be right Mate...

Not sure how Fury would joke about licking canvas for ten seconds though...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:54 pm

If I was Haye I'd be telling him it's a choice between licking the canvas and eating leather.

I'm sure Wayne Rooney will pop up at some time and wax idiotic on the benefits of both.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Have to be an "old" canvas for Rooney to lick it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:04 pm

And well worn/cracked leather

Anyhoo, I see Groves giving an excellent account of himself and whilst I'd really like to see him get the win, it's hard to look past Froch (especially if he's turned sideways...snigger!). Can't see Froch blasting him out early but I think he may catch him down the final stretch if Groves doesn't have the pop in his punches to deter him.

I think Alvarez will lose a close SD despite to all but the judges, Floyd has pretty much controlled him from round four onwards. Coming forward without landing anything of real significance will be seen as "effective aggression" but I think a late surge from Mayweather should be enough to get the win.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Froch has shown he's capable of losing to good fighters and he's not as concussive puncher as Haye...

So I agree groves-Froch will be interesting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm

It's most likely to be Fury, he in theory has the most to lose out of the three, nobody expects Alvarez to win and losing the best of his generation won't hurt him mentally or physically as he may get outboxed but not beaten up. For all the apparent bad blood between Groves and Froch I get the feeling they are in fact very good friends trying to drum up some publicity, he's still young and will make a good account of himself even in a losing effort.

Fury on the other hand doesn't have the talent or the future of the others and there is the very real possibility that it gets humiliated by Haye in a one sided drubbing ending with a brutal early KO, his background will make such an outcome hard to take. He clearly suffers from nerves and blows very hot and cold, the fear of losing will get to him and as for Haye being intimidated by him not a chance, he doesn't have the ability or punching power of Wlad.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Not sure you need much talent at heavy.....Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Fury won't freeze he might not be the most talented of fit fighter out there but if anything I think be TOO up for it may be his flaw and can't see him freezing at all, Canelo has been on the world stage so will be more ready Groves we are yet to see, I have a feeling half way through he might come unstuck but with booth in his corner I'm not sure he will freeze.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure you need much talent at heavy.....Mate.
You either need talent or wait around for a few years, Wlad isn't near retirement while Haye will still fight intermittently if the price is right, with those two around I don't see anyone else picking up a belt for a few years.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Tunes, Fury will definitely be "up for it" until the enormity of the task comes crashing down around him and he'll find himself in perhaps the loneliest place on eart (no, not the "Friends of Shenglong" party. For all his ribbing of Haye I think he'll end up wishing he'd pulled out of the fight citing a broken toe. Haye knows Fury has a decent ranking with the boxing bodies and will be looking to send out a message.

Read yesterday that Vitali has pulled out of his scheduled defence with a hand injury and may be forced to vacate his belt.
Further incentive for Haye if he needed it

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure you need much talent at heavy.....Mate.
You either need talent or wait around for a few years, Wlad isn't near retirement while Haye will still fight intermittently if the price is right, with those two around I don't see anyone else picking up a belt for a few years.
I think Wlad is an example of not needing much talent..

He's got size end of..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down