The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serena is awesome

+5
Chazfazzer
lydian
time please
BigSal
Josiah Maiestas
9 posters

Go down

Serena is awesome Empty Serena is awesome

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

I have to admit I was never a huge fan of Serena, but the way she has come back from a year long lay-off is simply incredible.

She injured her foot in July 2010 and required surgery.

In February this year she suffered a haematoma and a PE.

She reached the fourth rd at W in only her second tournament back, after only having hit the practice courts a few weeks earlier.

After W she dropped to something like 250 in the world rankings.

She then won her next tournament in Stanford, thrashing Sharapova along the way as well as most of the main contenders at W.

She has now reached the final of the Rogers cup.

She'll be back in the top 30.

Simply amazing.

Serena is one tough cookie. She has got to be the most mentally tough athlete I have ever seen on a tennis court. For sheer competitiveness and mental strength she blows everyone, including Nadal, out of the water.

She has been the dominant player on the WTA (when she's motivated and bothered) for over a decade. Infact she won her first slam in 1999, when Roger was still in diapers in tennis terms.

But she's younger than Roger Shocked

If Serena wins the USO and gets back to the the top of the rankings, it will be one of the most incredible comebacks ever in tennis.

Back to top Go down

Serena is awesome Empty Re: Serena is awesome

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

I'm actually more shocked with Serena losing early at Wimbledon than Roger losing from 2-0 up... she is certainly 1 of the greatest players the WTA has ever produced, though my knowledge of WTA only stretches to around 2000/01 so what do i know x(
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by BigSal Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:28 am

Very impressed with her form ahead of the USO, she destroyed Stosur in the final!

If she plays like she has been the last few weeks, no one should be able to come close at Flushing Meadows!!

BigSal

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

She is a superb athlete, and so much physically stronger than the rest of the amazonian field that when she is en song, she is pretty much unbeatable.

Great player though she is, I can't stand her grunting and growling - I can't focus on her wonderful tennis because of it. So delighted to see Kvitova win Wimbledon without a growl, grunt or scream - just like tennis used to be.

Funnily enough, I am quite a fan of Venus (well the one of a few years ago) but still wish she would button it - don't even get me started on Shriekapova and Co.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 16 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Impressive indeed. Disagree she's mentally tougher than Nadal though - her ranking has been inconsistent to suggest otherwise (aside from this current spell where her ranking slipped).
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

Lydian, I think they are both incredibly strong mentally.

However, with Rafa I get the impression that he is more of a confidence player and needs a string of good results to get him going. It remains to be seen if Rafa's mental strength maintains in the face of a stronger, fitter opponent - cracks seem to be appearing.

Serena, on the other hand, seemingly just needs to be fit. I can't imagine anyone on the mens side coming back after a year lay-off to being on the cusp of dominating the sport again after just two months.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

Maybe but Serena's ranking has been all over the place at times and she's lost to some surprising players over the years. I also wonder if her coming back strongly now is a reflection of the state of women's tennis at the moment. It isnt going through a great patch, we're getting #1s who havent won slams and many others seem to be top 10ers but are really nothing special at all. Its a transition period I feel. So maybe its not too hard for Serena to get back to the top again amongst this field?
Its a weord one with Rafa, he was fine before this year...with him it was also injuries and family breakup that were the main issues. But he's not been right all year, long before his run-ins with Nole. I personally think he tampered with his game too much last year and this year he cant seem to find his true game again. His play at times is woeful...midcourt balls, not sure where to put the ball in ralletys and making basic errors on both wings. If you watch him play on HC in 2005 the 2011 Rafa is a pale imitation of even that. The worrying thing is that I dont think Uncle Toni has the answer because Rafa has always done well but the test of a coach is also when its not going well. But of course we have to temper the comments, if not for Nole Rafa's year would be great...which makes it all the more remarkable given he's nowhere near peak form most of the year.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:51 pm

I agree that rafa appears out of sorts this year.

You may be right in that the lack of a clear game plan is hurting him.

This in itself may be due to over-tinkering with his game; changes which were necessary to turn him into an all-surface player.

I still think he has a great chance at the USO. His strategy will be much clearer. Basically emulate last years game plan. Serve big, stay aggressive and try to shorten points at the net when the opportunity arises.

It will be interesting to see if he can adapt this kind of mindset at Cinci where the conditions mimic the USO most closely.

In my mind he is still a clear second favourite, albeit quite a long way behind Djoko.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:53 pm

However, his confidence has clearly taken a knock.

When rafa is low in confidence he tends to hit his CC Fh and BH short.

This is easy pickings for guys with solid DHBH's.

He also rarely hits the DTL FH unless his confidence is high. I think this is a crucial shot for him if he wants to change the dynamic of the rallies, particularly against Djoko.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

Hello

Very Happy

I feel that this well thought out Serena appreciation thread didn't get enough responses.

So I have bumped it up so you can all try again thumbsup

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

I see.. still no love for Serena,

mmmm.. I smell something fishy here

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

...and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarvik Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

No love for Serena? Can't be anything to do with her revolting egotism and lack of grace in defeat surely?!

But yes, one of the greats for sure. I for one thought with her build she would not retain the fitness and agility to compete at the top for as long as she has... or is it just a 'weak era'..? Rolling Eyes

Jarvik

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:12 am

I'm not a fan either. The combination of on-court shrieking-banshee, plus press conference "lil ol' me" routine isn't something that I enjoy. Obviously that goes for Venus too, though maybe Pova is worse as her game is one-dimensional. Really, any player who shrieks when they play a drop shot ought to forfeit the match.

Then again I don't watch the women's game much. . . it is fairly Poopie, after all.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

Haterz will be haterz,

Serena is a legend,

If the great Serena so chooses, she will continue to dominate the WTA until she's 35.

She will become the GOATess

The great Serena was even mauling the Freudian forehand at the tender age of 17.

She has since dominated Seles, Venus, Lindsey, Capriati, Henin, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Hingis, Sharapova and just about everyone else.

She is almost the GOATess already.

So talk to the haaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

Aint nuttin u can do bout dat.

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

Yeah, but no-one cares.

When they were all little Hingis was running rings around the williams sisters. Henin stayed little and by that measure was an extraordinary player, winning against fully grown women, and overgrown women.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

droogle wrote:Yeah, but no-one cares.

When they were all little Hingis was running rings around the williams sisters. Henin stayed little and by that measure was an extraordinary player, winning against fully grown women, and overgrown women.

Yes.. indeed.

Good argument.

Super Serena the GOATess in waiting.

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:34 pm

Let's hope that emancipator's mouth iis SMALLER than

Serenas' tennis ball !

I Is Black and I can do no wrong thanks to the EU rulings !

Overweight - Over payed - And (unfortunatley) Over Here

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

yummymummy wrote:Let's hope that emancipator's mouth iis SMALLER than

Serenas' tennis ball !

Hello yummy

Very Happy

I didn't understand that post - please explain

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:48 pm

emancipator wrote:
yummymummy wrote:Let's hope that emancipator's mouth iis SMALLER than

Serenas' tennis ball !

Hello yummy

Very Happy

I didn't understand that post - please explain

Serena is a bully and a Diva ! She might have commanded respect a few years ago Emancipator, but

she ruined her image in the infamous *shove this ball down your throat* incident.

AND If ANYONE tries to tell me she weighs under 14 stone ONCE MORE I shall have hysterics.

Serena is awesome 55808161

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:55 pm

I agree Yummy that the incident at the USO was disgraceful.

But it's not fair to paint a picture based on one incident.

Lots of players have lost their cool in the cauldron and have said and done similar things to what Serena did.

I'm not sure what her weight has to do with anything.

I'm talking mainly about her achievements and talent on the court.

I think Serena is an under appreciated champion.

To come back so many times against the odds shows the real heart of a champion.

Go Supeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Sereeeeeeeeeeeeeeena

May the serve be with you.

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:00 pm

I agree she WAS awesome emancipator, but I find in difficult

to support some-one who SHRIEKS as they are making a

drop-shot over the net !!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

yummymummy wrote:I agree she WAS awesome emancipator, but I find in difficult

to support some-one who SHRIEKS as they are making a

drop-shot over the net !!

Please don't exagerate. If you watched Serena against Azarenka yesterday you'd have barely heard a squeak from Serena.

Anyway, it was more awesomness from Serena. She has no weaknesses. Great mover, fantastic use of angles, greatest serve in the history of tennis, winners galore. Serena is around 10 years ahead of her peers.

Goooooooooo Suuuuuuuuuuuuuper Sereeeeeeeeeeeeeeena

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 04 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

I must say, she is pretty darn good Shocked

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down