The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Squad and XV for Ireland

+2
G2
robshaw4england
6 posters

Go down

England Squad and XV for Ireland  Empty England Squad and XV for Ireland

Post by robshaw4england Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

With England's inability to finish off Wales in the second warm up match, and their less than convincing win in the first warm up match. The Ireland warm up game is very important. Two areas really stand out for me, inside centre and openside flanker.

At inside centre I think Johnson should swallow his pride and drop Hape. Flutey may not be in the greatest form, but he played well in the first warm up match and has far more to offer on the front foot than Hape, with a strong step, vision and good distribution skills, whilst you mustn't forget Flutey is a lion, and could help to release our outside backs, and add some balance to our midfield. Both Wilkinson and Flood can play 12 if asked, whilst Banahan and Tindall have experience at 12 in case of emergency.

At openside flanker, Lewis Moody looks unlikely to be fit for the start of the world cup. However even if he was fit, he wouldn't be my first choice openside as he offers little to nothing in attack, whilst before his injury in the first warm up match missed a couple of tackles and his poor positioning was exploited at times. Hendre Fourie was very dissapointing in the second warm up match and Chris Robshaw must be fuming that he wasn't given a chance ahead of the South African, and in my opinion Robshaw could form a world class back row with Croft and Haskell. I would start Haskell at 8, as we all know what Easter offers and we need to give Haskell game time there due to Easters poor form and if he was to get injured.

I'd also give Sharples a start as he is electric and you know exactly what you are going to get with Cueto, so why not give the speedster a chance, he could create something out of nothing and is very reliable with the boot and in defence.

My 30 man squad would be...

Sheridan*, Corbisiero, Stevens, Cole, Hartley, Mears, Thompson, Lawes, Palmer, Deacon, Moody*, Haskell, Croft, Wood, Easter, Robshaw, Care, Youngs, Wigglesworth, Wilkinson, Flood, Flutey, Tuilagi, Tindall, Banahan, Sharples, Cueto, Ashton, Armitage, Foden.

*If Sheridan and Moody are not fit I would take Wilson and Botha as their replacements.

For the third and final warm up game against Ireland this would be my XV...

15. B.Foden
14. C.Ashton
13. M.Tindall (c)
12. R.Flutey
11. C.Sharples
10. J.Wilkinson
09. B.Youngs*
08. J.Haskell
07. C.Robshaw
06. T.Croft
05. T.Palmer
04. C.Lawes
03. M.Stevens
02. D.Hartley
01. A.Sheridan*

16. L.Mears
17. D.Cole/A.Corbisiero
18. L.Deacon
19. T.Wood
20. D.Care/R.Wigglesworth
21. T.Flood
22. M.Tuilagi

*If Sheridan isn't fit, then i'd move Stevens to loosehead and start Cole at tighthead and bring Corbisiero onto the bench. Whilst if Youngs isn't fit, i'd start Care and bring Wigglesworth onto the bench.

Thoughts?

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

England Squad and XV for Ireland  Empty Re: England Squad and XV for Ireland

Post by G2 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

I would even consider dropping Tindall and putting Tuilagi at 13, with Armitage back on the bench.
Captain either Hartley or Wilko

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:24 pm

Please Johnston take Hape, Tindall and Bababayabadabadoo-whatever to NZ please, please, please. Cool
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Can Armitage play 13?

12 Flood
13 Armitage

Dangerous going forward!

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:42 pm

I'll be amazed if he takes Sharples. MJ doesn't like creativity, it seems.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

I would be very suprised if Flood got a game next time out his performance against Wales was very, very, poor indeed.

I doubt he will drop Tindall from the team, i do agree he should give Sharples a chance(if Ashton)does not regain his fitness in time for the Irish game, or atleast he should get a bench spot.

Would love to see Robshaw given a shot against Ireland, but doesnt Johnson name his squad for the Rugby World Cup before the Irish game?...So who ever plays against Ireland will be on the plane to NZ....Barring any injuries that get picked up in the game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:48 am

That’s my fear also, he will name his squad and force himself to pick a similar team to the team that was well beaten by Ireland in the 6n’s & couldn’t score for toffee against the Welsh.

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down