The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My personal favourite USPGA highlight was...

+16
navyblueshorts
oldparwin
SmithersJones
Yadsendew
kwinigolfer
pedro
super_realist
Davie
McLaren
sodhat
JDandfries
Maverick
MustPuttBetter
gaelgowfer
Rossa
theeldestboy
20 posters

Go down

My personal favourite USPGA highlight was... Empty My personal favourite USPGA highlight was...

Post by theeldestboy Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:26 am

...watching Bradley and Dufner spit/gob their way onto every tee box and up every fairway like a couple of hillbilly inbreds.

Absolutely disgusting.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

My personal favourite USPGA highlight was... Empty Re: My personal favourite USPGA highlight was...

Post by Rossa Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:34 am

theeldestboy wrote:...watching Bradley and Dufner spit/gob their way onto every tee box and up every fairway like a couple of hillbilly inbreds.

Absolutely disgusting.

Newsflash: American's like to spit, they were in their own country simply doing what seems to be culturally acceptable in their own country... They weren't doing on the green or in the hole, so weren't affecting the play of others.

I'd prefer to comment on what was an outstanding finish... I hope we see more of Bradley in the years to come, and he doesn't fade away... serious kahunas to bounce back like that, then hit some seriously good shots in the playoff... seems to have skills between the ears... and the advice of a golfing ledgend to hand... Well done.

p.s. apologies if i have strayed off topic....
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

My personal favourite USPGA highlight was... Empty Re: My personal favourite USPGA highlight was...

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:44 am

The Dufner waggle! It was strangely hypnotic. Almost looked like part of the swing: waggle, address, hit.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:06 am

Gael, more like waggle, waggle, waggle, waggle, waggle, address, hit!!! Laugh

It did occur to me whilst watching that it was a shame they were both spitters!
Great finish to a tournament though! clap
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:47 am

His amount of waggles could seriously have contended Sergio of year of old where he constantly re-gripped. There were lots of them.

Favourite bits, Jason Duffman Duffner priving to the world you don't have to be a bomber off the tee's to contend at the big events just keep it in play.

Keegan Bradley showing the bottle of a real Major winner with his response to a triple bogey with 3 to play.

Or the fact Bradley now has a 100% major record, played 1 won 1.

I think it was the best major of the year on a lovely course

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

I loved bravery shown by McIllroy for playing on with a broken arm! Erm

Joking aside - I thought it was great to see a few different names up there, though Hansen was going to win at start of play, then Waggle set himself well clear, then Bradley finished like a train!!

Great stuff, and hopefuly the game has found a new 'star' and one who can build on a major win at the first time of askin!! Some achievement!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:11 am

I noticed that too, eldestboy, not something I'm used to seeing when I tune in to the golf either...

An excellent final round, would have been a touch more dramatic if Karlsson hadn't overhit and lost that shot, but for a real scrap between two players, it was great viewing.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:19 am

The spitting showed they are real men, therefore improving golfs nice boy pringle jumper image. We thank them for that and showing the worlds top 10 how to play in a major.

The other highlight has to be seeing the top players in the world clear a huge pond without even the hint of a top into it. Is there a law somewhere which states 18th hole greatness = m^2 of water between the player and the hole?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:23 am

McLaren wrote:The spitting showed they are real men, therefore improving golfs nice boy pringle jumper image.

Huh?
I hope that's another joke?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:25 am

Mac's legendary sense of humour shining through again I think Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:31 am

Mac, are you trying to advocate that every major closing hole is as pedestrian and dreary as the 18th at TOC?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:35 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:
McLaren wrote:The spitting showed they are real men, therefore improving golfs nice boy pringle jumper image.

Huh?
I hope that's another joke?

No of course not, for starters jokes are banned on V2. If you had paid close attention to titanic then you would have noticed how the main character, and real man for sure, used spitting to woo a lovely lady.

How on earth did you think tiger managed to pull so many women. Spitting of course.

So if you just spent another lonely weekend with one hand around your 6.5 shaft and golf monthly in the other then you know its time to start spitting.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

[quote="McLaren"]
MustPuttBetter wrote:No of course not, for starters jokes are banned on V2. If you had paid close attention to titanic then you would have noticed how the main character, and real man for sure, used spitting to woo a lovely lady.

How on earth did you think tiger managed to pull so many women. Spitting of course.

So if you just spent another lonely weekend with one hand around your 6.5 shaft and golf monthly in the other then you know its time to start spitting.

Oh Erm

I wouldn't consider Kate Winslet to be a lovely lady.
Would've chosen Kathy Bates myself
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:05 am

How on Earth are jokes banned.... Maybe it's just the ones you tell Mac Tumbleweed

Tiger's spitting nothing to do with his ability to pull the ladies. More to do with the money, the fame and the ability to do a kiss and tell.

I prefer my 7.0 shaft much more manly than a 6.5.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

As in 6.5 is a stiff shaft, or is that what you mean?

To settle this I will make it clear my original comment was indeed taking the urine.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:19 am

I know what a 6.5 is Mac, I used to use them i'm now a 7.0.. Hence why I kept the repy to golf clubs.....

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

MPB/Mav ... I was fascinated by it because it seemed to me to be very much a part of the swing itself given there was barely a pause between it and the backswing, which is unusual. So, from that perspective I wouldn't classify it as being a twitchy thing but almost one continuous movement.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

gaelgowfer wrote:MPB/Mav ... I was fascinated by it because it seemed to me to be very much a part of the swing itself given there was barely a pause between it and the backswing, which is unusual. So, from that perspective I wouldn't classify it as being a twitchy thing.

Indeed Gael, it was also the tempo of his waggles, pretty much matched his swing tempo, so was a good way to relieve tension.

I was impressed with his game he hit a lot of fairways and nade a lot of putts, I think he had something like 9 x 1 putts in the regulation 18 maybe more

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:MPB/Mav ... I was fascinated by it because it seemed to me to be very much a part of the swing itself given there was barely a pause between it and the backswing, which is unusual. So, from that perspective I wouldn't classify it as being a twitchy thing but almost one continuous movement.

It certianly did seem to be part of his swing, almost one whole movement. As many fairways as he hit yesterday, with the speed at which he hits the ball after laying the club down, I wonder on days where his timing is not quite so good if he has the potential to be a bit of a mess!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

To be honest, I think Dufners shot in the drink on 15 was pretty memorable. At that time I came to think of Vande Velde, Dustin Johnson, Bjorn etc. It's always a shame when players lose tournaments, but as a spectator it brought the excitement back to me.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

Having said that, pedro, measured just against Bradley, Dufner picked up two shots there.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

Kwini

I guess there is a difference in the resulting mental states of two players when the leader starts to crumble and a chasing player looses ground. One can adopt a care free go for it attitude and the other may start to feel the demons infest their mind.

So for that hole dufner may have picked up a shot but long term he lost more shots.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

I was impressed with Dufner, so laid back at times I thought he was going to fall asleep! Didn't appear to show any real emotion either. Don't think he'd rate highly on the fast play stats but my most memorable moment was him almost forgetting his way back to the first play off hole!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

True enogh Mac. I'm also quite sure Hansen wouldn't have attacked 17th (gave him birdie) if he hadn't bogied 16... Just as I'm sure Donald hadn't watered his approach on 18 (I think) hadn't he been chasing.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

Donald didn't duck his ball in the water on #18, not on Sunday anyway. Bunkered off the tee was what CBS said, the crooked drive in play again when he needed a straight one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

Donald had (to use Tiger talk) a water ball on the 15th par 3
That finished him off
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Donald didn't duck

Laugh clap
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

Being deliberately controversial, if Duffner was English wouldn't we all be lamenting his choke by now?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

smithers, I think dufners failure was down to him modelling his physique on shane lowry Whistle

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

SJ, yes probably!!

I have to say i did find it laughable how the commentators continualy referred to Lee and Luke having 'another very close miss' etc

They both ended 5 shots behind! and at the time they finished their rounds it was nearer 10, yet the commentators were insisting that LW in particular was so close yet again.

Err, no.....not really!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

super_realist wrote:smithers, I think dufners failure was down to him modelling his physique on shane lowry Whistle

I thought it was Darren Clarke's face on GMac's body!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm

I dont think I have seen anyone walk so slow on the golf course, as Dufner, would hate to be in the group behind him on the golf course, but with all the quirky pre-shot routines definitely one to watch in the future

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

Dufner: not a good name for a golfer...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

Worst one would be Shanks:: laughing

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:22 am

My personal favourites were -

The Laurel & Hardy theme tune starting in my head whenever I saw Dufner start to walk!! Bizarre I know.

and

Sergio nearly holing his tee shot on 17 on Sunday.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

Bradley not imploding after his 15th hole was something to watch.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:47 am

personal favourite moment was when Monty left the studio for the leaders back nine. hes the worst commentator on the telly bar none.
he mentions the ryder cup far too much... he was implying dufner/bradley were trying to win purely for the RC points!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

In his world majors mean nothing and the RC is the most important event. It helps him to leave the house every day...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 17 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

Shotrock wrote:Bradley not imploding after his 15th hole was something to watch.

Boy done good. The fact that Dufner had to wait while Bradley finished out on 15 and had plenty of time to watch exactly what was going on and think about things was not a good thing for him IMO.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 17 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Bradley not imploding after his 15th hole was something to watch.

Boy done good. The fact that Dufner had to wait while Bradley finished out on 15 and had plenty of time to watch exactly what was going on and think about things was not a good thing for him IMO.
No doubt that wait wouldnt have helped Dufner. I found myself thinking what I would do to distract myself in the same situation and came up with the question - Does playing 'keepy up' with your wedge whilst waiting on the tee constitute a practice shot? Surely not? Even scooping the ball off the ground with your wedge wouldnt as I'd imagine it's got to be a full stoke at the ball to count as a practice shot?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down