The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My personal favourite Open moment so far...

+9
NedB-H
drive4show
sharrison01
liverbnz
LadyPutt
Doon the Water
oldshanker
navyblueshorts
theeldestboy
13 posters

Go down

My personal favourite Open moment so far... Empty My personal favourite Open moment so far...

Post by theeldestboy Sun 17 Jul 2011, 8:45 am

...was when Peter Alliss, when talking about the RSG clubhouse and it's proximity (or lack of) to the course said something along the lines of:

"...it's pretty far away...you couldn't sit in the window and watch an old friend bash one off".

Absolute TV gold Shocked censored 🤦 thumbsup
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

My personal favourite Open moment so far... Empty Re: My personal favourite Open moment so far...

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

Missed that one! Classic Alliss.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

My personal favourite Open moment so far... Empty Re: My personal favourite Open moment so far...

Post by oldshanker Sun 17 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

Big Darren walking up the 18th - there was a lump in my throat. How fine is this game?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:08 pm

Big D lifting the jug.

Fantastic moment.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Big D paying tribute to "someone upstairs". I'd already had tears in my eyes, this time they flowed as well. As someone who is married to a man who lost his first wife to cancer, I can identify with Darren, Alison (soon to be Mrs C who seemed a lovely lady when interviewed on TV) and the much missed Heather. Much heart to all three of them - and the two boys.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

I don't think I have ever had a more satisfying moment watching sport than I did yesterday seeing Darren Clarke raising his arms aloft following his final putt. Felt really happy for him.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

Very well said Lady and is similar to my favourite moment when Mickelson speaks with Clarke. It says a lot about the game when the runner up shows absolutely no personal disappointment and can only celebrate with the winner...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

I loved it when Phil went up to Darren and gave him a hug and whispered something in his ear while they were waiting for the presentation. Darren also got a hug from Amy, Phil's wife, as he came off the course. More Cry I'm afraid. Then I cracked open a bottle of Bubbly
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

Some of the things that the cameramen pick up make for great viewing. Yesterday we saw 2 young girls huddled under an umbrella while it was lashing down, they were eating giant ice cream cones. And the young lad posing for pictures whilst his chav dad in shell suit was snapping away with his iphone.

I think my favourite though was a pic that a friend posted on facebook of Darren alone in the locker room staring at the claret jug in his hands, looked like he was scanning all the names and finally realising he is now a part of golfing history. Apart from the ghost of Seve, could there have been a more popular winner?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

D4S - saw that pic as well on Twitter. One of the abiding memories of an unforgettable four days. Hope Darren's hangover isn't too bad.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

Comment from Rory on Twitter: "Just off the phone with the champion golfer of the year..... He must have had a good one last night!!! Think he's still drunk! Lol". Sounds like a great celebration.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

LadyPutt wrote:D4S - saw that pic as well on Twitter. One of the abiding memories of an unforgettable four days. Hope Darren's hangover isn't too bad.

LP

I suspect it could be the mother of all hangovers Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

drive4show wrote:Some of the things that the cameramen pick up make for great viewing. Yesterday we saw 2 young girls huddled under an umbrella while it was lashing down, they were eating giant ice cream cones. And the young lad posing for pictures whilst his chav dad in shell suit was snapping away with his iphone.

I think my favourite though was a pic that a friend posted on facebook of Darren alone in the locker room staring at the claret jug in his hands, looked like he was scanning all the names and finally realising he is now a part of golfing history. Apart from the ghost of Seve, could there have been a more popular winner?
Perhaps a guy who finished +6... can't think of anyone else though.

Following up the Mickelson comments... I hope this tournament puts to bed all the complaints people have about him being a fake with all his "nice bloke" stuff. Relentlessly positive in his interviews - I think he was the only one to say he enjoyed the Saturday morning conditions - and completely happy for Clarke at the end, despite having just missed out yet again.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

I've got that pic as my background already. Talk about a picture painting a thousand words.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Classic interview with Darren on Sky - definitely still a little tipsy!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12176_7045922,00.html
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Ned, well said regarding Mickelson. I was initially a bit sceptical about him earlier in his career because he just seemed too good to be true (like the guy in Happy Gilmore that hates dogs and old people!?!) but how can anyone that follows him not appreciate what a great sportsman and good bloke that he is. I also love the way that he has obviously struggled with links golf yet keeps coming back and even ended Sunday as happy as a kid with his first birdie. True appreciation for the game and a great sportsman...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

My personal favourite moment yesterday was when big Ds 2nd into 18 landed. Although it was effectively over when big Dusty peeled his 2nd oob on 14, the fat lady couldnt break into song until that shot came down and make a 3 shot gap impossible to close. So wanted him to win, having been through a similar hell myself a year after him I can empathise with him. To come through what he has and be emotionally tough enough to come down the stretch and lift the Claret Jug is inspirational.

I did also notice Mickleson make a point of giving him a hug and a word in his
ear pre-presentation....very touching.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:49 pm

Sharrison - the guy who hates dogs and old people is in Tin Cup
Get it right! thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:54 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Sharrison - the guy who hates dogs and old people is in Tin Cup
Get it right! thumbsup

Or maybe it was Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

No it was definitely David Simms in Tin Cup.......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

LadyPutt wrote:I loved it when Phil went up to Darren and gave him a hug and whispered something in his ear while they were waiting for the presentation. Darren also got a hug from Amy, Phil's wife, as he came off the course. More Cry I'm afraid. Then I cracked open a bottle of Bubbly
Phil Mickelson is a class act, and a true gentleman.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down