The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotlight on big Richie

+5
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
bathmad
Notch
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
9 posters

Go down

Spotlight on big Richie Empty Spotlight on big Richie

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

He's a very modest, unassuming young man by all accounts, but Richie Gray's performances and his blond mop have caught the attention. Here's an interesting interview with him in the Scotsman: Richie Gray - doesn't sound like the acclaim will go to his head, here's to hoping that he continues to make a big impression during the RWC Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Spotlight on big Richie Empty Re: Spotlight on big Richie

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

A great read, the lad does actually sound like a genuinely nice guy. Good to hear that he likes the city of Glasgow and being close to his family and friends, I just hope when Clermont or Toulon come knocking on the door with their cheque books he still feels like that.

What sort of player is his wee brother?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:31 am

I'm sure he will. Your group is made for second rows!

After seeing the way England played against Wales there, I'd say your group isn't going to be one for beautiful flowing rugby anyway... Argentina and Georgia aren't known for it either really.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

Good player. Look forward to seeing him in a decent Lions team in 2013.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:A great read, the lad does actually sound like a genuinely nice guy. Good to hear that he likes the city of Glasgow and being close to his family and friends, I just hope when Clermont or Toulon come knocking on the door with their cheque books he still feels like that.

What sort of player is his wee brother?
Radge, similar in stature at the same age as his older brother, but young Jonny was kept out of U18 sides this year by an even better prospect (whose name I can't remember) - good news for Scotland Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

He's got all the attributes needed to make a top second row. However he's still quite green and learning. He's got a massive future ahead of him though.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 16 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

I'd say only injury can prevent him from becoming a Lion and Scotland great. I don't like hyping players, but I've yet to see him have a poor game in Scotland colours. His ball carrying, work rate and lineout work have all been outstanding, and he seems to be everywhere in defence. He also seems to have the statute and skillset to be a 4 or a 5 in the classic mould, and when you consider some of the other young second rows about, Bradley Davies, Courtney Lawes and Dave Attwood in particular, you can come up with some extremely promising combinations.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

And I've not seen him have a bad game against my lot either (3 games). I contend that one of Gray or Lawes - I don't think you can pair them - will be a starting lock for the Lions in Oz alongside someone more experienced.

He should be some player if he steers clear of injury.

thumbsup

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

Another couple of years will see him mature and fill out a bit. It could be he'll then settle as a 4 rather than a 5 (he plays 4 now with Kellock but plays 5 alongside Hines/Hamilton). Might be best all round 2nd row we've had since Gordon Brown, but he's a much harder worker than Brown was (or maybe it is because he's fitter).

Disagree Harrow, think he and Lawes would be a very good combination in 2 years time.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

Boston - I would like to think that they could play together, but experience does matter at that level, which is why I made the point. OK, that begs another question i.e. who to partner them, and I can't see a strong contender in two years time at the moment. Perhaps Bradley Davies, but he went backwards last season.

It will be interesting to see how both develop for sure.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

They would certainly be 2 very young 2nd rows and at the moment the obvious candidates (Hines, POC, DOC) are likely to be a bit old, even retired. I've never been overly impressed with Davies, a lot of hype placed on his young shoulders, but that's not to say he won't improve as he's always looked promising - needs to deliver consistently. England is usually a good source for 2nd rows and it'll be interesting to see how McKenzie develops at Sale. Currently though I believe Gray and Lawes are in the vanguard, hope they can avoid injury/burnout.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:39 pm

Gray will be experienced enough by the time the lions come calling. probably 30+ caps assuming no injuries/loss of form. Unless Australia unearth the next John Eales between now and then, Horwill is their only international class lock, its not like he going up against Matfield and Botha on his own.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down