The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby equipment developments

+4
welshy824
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
OzT
Adam D
8 posters

Go down

Rugby equipment developments Empty Rugby equipment developments

Post by Adam D Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

Great article I found here: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2044726.html

Have they always worn those tight shirts? I can’t imagine that some of the props of yesteryear would have enjoyed squeezing into them.

The skin-tight rugby shirt, by happy coincidence, came along since rugby players discovered the gym. The All Blacks led the trend away from the traditional heavy quilted cotton, but it was England coach Sir Clive Woodward in 2003, tired of seeing his flying wing Jason Robinson grabbed by a flailing hem in a last-ditch tackle, who wanted REALLY tight tops for his eventual World Cup winners.

In that year’s Rugby World Cup the French and South Africans were also in the new shirts, while Australia’s kit still made the concession of a collar. At this World Cup in New Zealand, the tight tops will be de rigueur for pretty much everyone.

I’m showing my age here – but didn’t the ball used to be leather? Perhaps even lace-up?

Readers of a certain vintage will remember the black-tipped adidas brown leather ball used by the southern hemisphere sides and the French in the 1980s, while the northern hemisphere was more synonymous with Mitre and Gilbert.

Come the first Rugby World Cup, Mitre got the nod; adidas supplied the official ball in 1991; but by 1995 Gilbert was the preferred brand and has remained so, with the 2011 Virtuo ball following the Barbarian (1995), Revolution (1999), Xact (2003) and Synergie (2007). The company’s rugby heritage is impeccable: founder William Gilbert was the ball and boot maker for Rugby School in 1823, when William Webb Ellis was a pupil.

So what’s it made of these days?

IRB rules decree the ball must be “leather or suitable synthetic material”, oval, comprise four panels and weigh 410-460g. Gilbert’s balls are made from layers of cotton and polyester covered with rubber for grip, encasing a latex bladder. It’s a far cry from the days when a real pig’s bladder was inflated by blowing through a clay pipe – a danger to the worker’s health if the animal had been diseased.

Some of the players’ footwear looks a bit fancy – whatever happened to ‘proper’ rugby boots?

Rewind to the first Rugby World Cup and you’ll see many of the forwards sporting high-cut adidas boots, with their distinctive yellow finish. The German brand had long been prominent in the boot market, though Nike emerged in the 1980s through their tie-up with the England team.

These days, not only are there more brands on show, with the likes of Mizuno now prominent, but most of the forwards wear low-cut, football-style boots – except with eight studs (six front, two heel) to gain purchase at the scrum.

The backs have generally followed their footballing counterparts, with England’s Jonny Wilkinson wearing adidas Predator – the preferred choice of David Beckham – when he kicked the 2003 World Cup-winning drop goal against Australia. By chance, the Predator was developed by former Australian footballer Craig Johnston. In a 2004 interview with UK newspaper The Times, he said of Wilkinson’s score: “I was absolutely spewing. I still am...”

Why do some of the forwards wear strapping on their thighs?

It’s all to do with the lineout, where lifting used to be forbidden – and what a mess it was too. Lifting is now allowed to help forwards win clean ball for their backs, and create a more flowing game. The strapping on the jumpers’ legs enable the lifters to get a good grip; the target man works in harmony with his two lifters, forward and back, to get airborne. Teams will try to fox the opposition, but the most successful lineout teams are often those that simply get their man up quickly. Watch out for South Africa, with Victor Matfield soaring high.

Those kickers have got their preparation down to a tee...

You’ll see the kickers take aim at goal for penalties and conversions using a special kicking tee. The rules state that “the kicker may place the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust or approved kicking tee” but most opt for the plastic or rubber tee. It makes for greater accuracy and leaves ground staff far happier than in the days when kickers hacked up the turf to make a kicking mound.

Many players now wear shoulder pads – wasn’t that always a feature of rugby league?

When you’re a 90kg back trying to stop a 110kg forward, you’re glad of any help you can get. Protective shoulder pads have been introduced as players become fitter and tackling more incessant. The headgear which used to be the preserve of the tight forwards (to protect the ears and face against rubbing in the scrum) has found favour with backs such as Australia’s Matt Giteau. Any such clothing has to be approved by the IRB.

So what do you all think has made the biggest difference to rugby?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Rugby equipment developments Empty Re: Rugby equipment developments

Post by OzT Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Tight shirts defo.

For slipping out of tackles but the ruin of props trying to grip franticlly on non existent loose material

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

Tight shirts have been a massive change as have the newer balls that are developed.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

it is amazing- i was reading the pro direct rugby catalouge and under armours description for a mouth guard was hillarious-it was so detailed about how the mould stops the excess build up of harmful chemicals which stop you performing at your best.

also the shirt and ball descriptions about how they are the most advanced and special grips on certain players shirts etc or how the ball is the most oval yet...

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

This starts to sound like golf equipment advertising, if you used every bit of kit that was "guaranteeed"reduced your handicap, made you hit it longer and straighter and your putts unmissable we'd all be going round the course in 65.

Of course some of this stuff actually does is help if you've got the talent in the first place but your average joe no chance.

Anyone seen the advert for the UnderArmour mouth guard you wear in the gym ?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

it may be the same mouth guard mate, what does that one say?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

They (UA) are doing a combi set of mouthguards, a standard one for playing in and one that fits your lower jaw that you are meant to bite down on during gym sessions and other training - there was some waffle about improving concentration and saliva production.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

[quote="Irish Londoner"]They (UA) are doing a combi set of mouthguards, a standard one for playing in and one that fits your lower jaw that you are meant to bite down on during gym sessions and other training - there was some waffle about improving concentration and saliva production. [/quote]
Broken Record Laugh
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

oh yeah those are in the booklet aswell- seriously tight fitting shirts and better gripped balls you can understand but mouthguards- espicially mouthguards which cost £50.00

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:59 am

Definitely the ball has made the biggest difference - along with the improvements to playing surfaces at most major venues.

I've been watching some old footage recently, 1971 Lions tour of NZ, Springboks in Oz in '71, Bledisloe Cups from the late 70's and 80's... the ball has come a very long way. There seemed to be a lot more dropped ball, fumbling and scrappy play... except from the Welsh, NZ and SA backlines of course!

I particularly remember getting bruised on the bridge of my foot booting the old black-tipped leather ball (which was that horrible fat oval shape compared to today's slim-lined oval shape) and even worse was that caramel coloured 'thing' which was made of incredibly hard leather too... they were so much harder to kick than the current rugby balls and had an awful bounce too.

Just goes to show how skilled the NH kickers were in managing to guide those old, heavy & wet leather balls through the posts with considerable accuracy for the first 100 years of the game. Many Australian kickers persisted with the toe-poker style well into the 1980's... often with embarrassingly disastrous results!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

From the time I started playing the biggest improvemrnt is the ball. No doubts. Even the training balls are consistently better than the balls we had to play with. Better in all facets of the game.

The other big change I have seen is the jersey. But, I am not sold on the shirt as an improvement. Yes, it holds the gut of some less svelte props. And it does really reduce the flopping material as something to grab on to, and are generally hard to get any grip period. But these tight shirts makes players look like gigolos on parade. And where have my traditional collars gone? These stupid faux collars (Canterbury are generally the worst offenders of these) drive me nuts. Taranaki had a partial retro jersey last season which looked fine, and included the normal collar, but were form fitting too. Sorry for a bit of traditionalist rant.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down