The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeGale/Groves Developments

+6
Sugar Boy Sweetie
licence_007
Colonial Lion
88Chris05
azania
Scottrf
10 posters

Go down

DeGale/Groves Developments Empty DeGale/Groves Developments

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Firstly Groves was out last weekend on Saturday Fight Night against Alottey. What do people think of his performance?

His defence was probably the best it's been recently. He kept his hands up to catch punches and even managed to slip some. Granted it was against a poor boxer but he seemed to have learnt lessons about hanging his chin out, hands low. Liked his patience, drew leads and countered, favouring the straight right. His opponent wasn't 'tricky' as the commentators seemed to think, just rangy, but didn't throw often enough to put Groves out of his comfort zone. Seemed to be a fight where he was trying a few things out so in that respect I think it was successful.

Secondly, DeGale is back in action this weekend in a 'keep busy' fight. What I've heard about his sparring seems excellent constantly rotating opponents up to 15 rounds I believe, so he should be in good enough shape even at late notice. Not sure on the opponent yet but doubt it will be a world beater.

This gives me a little bit more hope that their fight may be signed soon. I was initially very sceptical but Booth seemed hopeful at the weekend, the main concern I have is with the strange purse bids. Dave Coldwell (head of Hayemaker Promotions) bid £400k, £75k over a bid by Adam Booth and £80k above Frank Warren. It was initially stated that the fight would have to be staged by April 11th but the parties involved don't seem to be concerned with this.

Wanted to update on the upcoming DeGale fight and couldn't find another thread on here for these two, what likelihood on their fight going ahead, and who would win?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

DeGale/Groves Developments Empty Re: DeGale/Groves Developments

Post by azania Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:14 pm

These two should not be fighting yet. As things stand now, DeGale is streets ahead of Groves. I like Groves but think he needs more time. Plus DeGale looks a whole division bigger.

If they fought in the summer the only result is a DeGale ko.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

I still think that DeGale starts as favourite if it does happen, but not to the degree that some others seem to think. I maintain that so far, Groves has been in with the better opposition and who knows, perhaps coming through a stern test like the one he had against Anderson will work to his advantage.

Groves does everything well, but nothing really spectacularly. He arguably has the basics down to a tee more than DeGale does, but the key to this fight, given Groves' somewhat rigid style, is speed, and it's here where I think DeGale may just overwhelm him. He simply can't match Warren's boy in that department.

I'll go with a DeGale stoppage late on, but I don't see Groves being utterly outclassed like some do and, at best, I think this is a 60:40 fight in favour of 'Chunky.' Sadly, I remain highly doubtful we'll see it, at least within the next eighteen months.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Unfortunately, with the history of the management of both these fighters I cant see the fight happening easily.

I believe Warren would only put DeGale in wih Groves if he was supremely confident of victory as even at this point he has far more to lose than Groves. A plastic title may only be a few fights away for DeGale whereas a loss would set him back significantly and drag him back to domestic level.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:16 pm

I think Warren is very confident in DeGale, and the Smith fight proved it. A solid British champion after only 9 fights. Whether Hayemaker will are as up for it I'm not sure but they seem to be, Groves doesn't have as much to lose because he will stay on a similar level to now even if he loses. Makes sense for them because otherwise I think DeGale will leave them behind.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:22 pm

This should be a big money fight and both are potential world belt holders. They can each hold a strap and fight for a unification. Groves needs more experiance imo. He has the basics right and is a smart boxer with bags of determination as the Anderson fight proved. I reckon in 12-18 months it will be a far more competitive fight than if it were held in 3 months.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

azania wrote:This should be a big money fight and both are potential world belt holders. They can each hold a strap and fight for a unification. Groves needs more experiance imo. He has the basics right and is a smart boxer with bags of determination as the Anderson fight proved. I reckon in 12-18 months it will be a far more competitive fight than if it were held in 3 months.
It's a competitive division, I can't see them both getting titles. This is a big fight now, and I think there's a large chance that this is the most competitive the fight will ever be. If they both get to where you think, they can perhaps rematch. A defeat wouldn't be disaster for Groves, I can't see it setting him far back from where his is now and he will learn from it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:This should be a big money fight and both are potential world belt holders. They can each hold a strap and fight for a unification. Groves needs more experiance imo. He has the basics right and is a smart boxer with bags of determination as the Anderson fight proved. I reckon in 12-18 months it will be a far more competitive fight than if it were held in 3 months.
It's a competitive division, I can't see them both getting titles. This is a big fight now, and I think there's a large chance that this is the most competitive the fight will ever be. If they both get to where you think, they can perhaps rematch. A defeat wouldn't be disaster for Groves, I can't see it setting him far back from where his is now and he will learn from it.

The guys in the super 6 will be past it in 18-24 months or be fighting at LHW (Ward being the exception). I reckon in 18 months, both Groves and DeGale would take out Dirrell. I think a defeat in such a grudge match now would affect both of them. This is a business and the point for the boxers is to make as much money as possible. Build this fight up for 18 months, getting the public interest and let them at each other. They could split £1m each as opposed to £100k now.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:09 pm

They would split £400k now, not £100k. That's a sizeable amount for the risk for either of them.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:They would split £400k now, not £100k. That's a sizeable amount for the risk for either of them.

After 9 fights? I'm getting my gloves back on. Still think they should wait and build up the fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

What does everyone thinks of a Groves/Anderson rematch? Too risky, or prove beyond doubt that Groves has learnt his lessons before fighting DeGale?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:54 am

Date 'pencilled in'.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6805801,00.html

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I can only see a DeGale win in this one. Slick southpaw skills with fast hands and good power, defensively he looks very good too. Groves for me is fairly one dimensional and definitely too easy to hit. He's been matched a bit harder but not so much harder that it will help him in this fight. I just genuinely think DeGale is a level above him and will have too much in virtually every department. I can see a tenacious groves coming forward but being picked off at will without landing to much of any significance, with DeGale then taking over after the 6th and landing fast, classy combinations on the front foot.

DeGale by stoppage around the 8th or 9th.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Watching DeGale this weekend few could doubt his skills. He looks the ticket. It may well be the case that he will box the ears off Groves. However one area where I feel George has the advantage is he seems to generate natural power in his shots, really digging his shots in,where Degale punches in flurries ala Calzaghe and sometimes they don't look powerful shots......

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 am

Tickets on sale, on the Cleverly vs Braemer undercard as expected. Will be on a Sky PPV along with Froch vs Johnson if all goes to plan. I believe they will be on Ringside tonight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 am

Scottrf wrote:Tickets on sale, on the Cleverly vs Braemer undercard as expected. Will be on a Sky PPV along with Froch vs Johnson if all goes to plan. I believe they will be on Ringside tonight.

Cheers Scott, Cant see past a DeGale win i'm afraid, I'd dearly love Groves shut him up but cant see it happening, although maybes a bit closer than many are anticipating.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:40 am

A great card, I might try and get good seats for this.

I think DeGale is favourite, but not by a massive margin. Groves had a serious gut check against Anderson, who in reality is probably equal to Smith, and the fact that he is such proven heart may be the decider when he faces DeGale. Or he might get schooled 12-0.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 am

Would have gone with Groves before seeing him in real trouble against Anderson.

Seemed far to easy to hit.

Just think DeGale will be a bit to slick for Groves and will pick him off fairly easy as Groves walks in.

DeGale to stop Groves in 8 rounds.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 am

wow_junky wrote:A great card, I might try and get good seats for this.
The only worry I have is if all the fights happen. There seem to pull a lot of (strategic?) pullouts on Warren shows, and I'm not sure Braemer is reliable either.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:48 am

http://www.frankwarren.tv/index.php/tickets.html?view=store&ck=5

Link for ticket sales if anyone is interested.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:05 am

Scottrf wrote:
wow_junky wrote:A great card, I might try and get good seats for this.
The only worry I have is if all the fights happen. There seem to pull a lot of (strategic?) pullouts on Warren shows, and I'm not sure Braemer is reliable either.

Yeah, paying £200+ to watch Groves-DeGale and Cleverly-replacement isn't quite so good!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down