The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves or DeGale?

+7
OasisBFC
monzon
seanmichaels
hogey
tunes666
AlexHuckerby
mark_england
11 posters

Go down

Groves or DeGale? Empty Groves or DeGale?

Post by mark_england Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:44 pm

Going into the first fight, I thought DeGale was streets ahead of Groves, and I actually scored the fight a draw personally, but what does everyone think If they fought again now, who do you think would win?

Post Paul Smith for James DeGale, and I thought he was fantastic, perhaps one of the biggest prospects in British boxing. Even though he has gone onto become European Champion after the Groves fight, I think he's lost some of what he had pre-Groves, and despite not fighting as much as he probably should, I think Groves has probably overtaken DeGale in the pecking order.

Would love them to fight again, but for me now, think Groves has improved, and DeGale has gone slightly backwards.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Groves or DeGale? Empty Re: Groves or DeGale?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:48 pm

Thought Degales last outing he looked good, just lacked a killer instinct.

I went for Groves to win the fight between them, I think Groves has gotten so much better while doesn't seem to have the correct mindset to improve enough.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 16 Dec 2012, 4:04 am

I think the only reason Groves won their fight was because he done so much better than people throught and Degale looked over cocky. The crowd hated Degale for his pre fight ego and they were cheering Groves on, I think this influenced the fight as well as the commentators who were also surprised at Groves giving Degale a hard few rounds. I had Degale winning it by two rounds and i think he would have won easier if he gave Groves more respect through out the whole thing. Groves never really caught Degale with anything crisp and was throwing scrapy combinations and while he threw more Degale landed the better shots and was on the front foot.

Since then neither have been as active as they should but I think have improved a little.

I think Degale has more in the locker and would beat Groves in a rematch, although Groves does have that power that could change a fight in a second. Groves has loads of power and good speed, But I think much like Haye, that power comes at a cost and you cant keep it up for 12 rounds or you gas. Booth seems to know how to really condition and train his fighters to hit hard and maybe looks for that in fighters as well But it takes up alot of energy so when you do it its got to count... Groves also gets fazed quite easy when he gets hit and i do wonder about his chin.

While Degale does seem to have a lazy defense at times and can go to sleep for a while during a fight I get the impression he is able to box his way out of trouble where Groves can be like a cat in a corner relying on his power. I think when he comes up against someone who can box and hit hard he will be a little exposed.

That being said its early to say as both will get a little better and Booth is a trainer I rate.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:00 am

I think Groves will beat Degale fairly comfortably if they rematch and maybe even this time stop him. He looks a much improved fighter who also seems better stamina wise and in physically strength terms his all round game should be too much for Degale. I dont think Degale possesses the power to stop Groves or the skills to outbox him either and that will give Groves much more confidence this time.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

Comfortable points win for Groves. De Gale is too lazy and will be outworked round by round.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:51 am

Last night did not really convince me anymore. IMO It was not really a good fight to see how far Groves has come as he was pretty much fighting a 43 yo punch bag and if anything should have really stopped him.

I think while Degales power is not as much as Groves who relies on it, it is under rated by a few. In his last fight he flawed with a good shot and very nearly stopped a durable opponent with a decent chin, so he cant lack that much power.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 16 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

I sense a bit of Khan-like hatred towards DeGale because of his overcockiness. Personally, i think it's better to judge fighters on their technical merits.

I gave Groves the original fight by a point, but no-one could've argued had it ended a draw or gone marginally the other way.

DeGale's a very exciting fighter indeed. A couple of his recent fights have been thrillers, but he seems to sag during the latter rounds. I don't think it's a fitness issue, more one self-doubt when he can't blow opponents out of there.

As for Groves, well, i think he's underrated both in terms of technique and power, but worry about his niggling injuries and realtive inactivity.

Neither are going to fight with their heads if there's any rematch given the history between the two, and as such, i woudn't be surprised to see it go either way.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

Groves.

He's looking better with each fight.

Chunky hasn't really moved forward technically.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:39 pm

Degale looked good in his last fight. some classy combinations.
however i think groves has improved both speed and movement.

it'd be a close one again. but one which i think groves would go into as the favourite.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 16 Dec 2012, 10:40 pm

Degale does not carry sufficient power to trouble groves. I think this will inhibit his career..george seems to be naturally more heavy handed and I think he would win the rematch...

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:20 pm

Degale - although active recently (which is never a bad thing) looks worse now than he did before... Granted he had a little ring rust following his self-exile from Warren and he took a decent fight in Piotr Wilczewski for the EBU title.

BUT...

1. He makes fights look harder than they should be, given his ability. His combinations LOOK nice and slick, but he certainly slaps with his punches - this may score points but move him up a level or two and he's in trouble. Why?...

2. He gives up too much ground, far too easy. Some guys like to fight on the outside, others like the centre of the ring, others like to brawl. There's no harm in having skills in every aspect of the game, but Degale doesn't look comfortable at the moment unless he's on the back foot - but this is where he falls short. His defence is tight, but if he can be pushed back to the ropes as easy as he has been - how would he react in the ring with the likes of Johnson, Abraham, Steiglitz? He becomes very flat footed very easily when he's pushed back and has no answer to it at present.

3. He fights in straight lines EXCLUSIVELY: Degale can cut off the ring pretty quick - we saw it against Paul Smith, he looked superb, the same with Carl Dilks... but put him in the ring with a guy who can move laterally (like Groves) and he's screwed.

There's a few more points I've noticed in his comeback but in all fairness to the guy, he's working harder now than ever. But he needs a new trainer. He's a fighter who fights in bursts and can win a fight in the UK by looking flashy, but how will he react against a guy who is willing to force him to the ropes and control on the inside? (Think Guererro vs. Berto).

Groves is not without his faults - but as he said on Saturday, fights against the likes of Johnson are invaluable. He's progressing well and taking good steps.

I asked myself the question, "Would Groves beat Abraham in 3/4 months time?" and I believe he would, providing he sticks to his boxing. Would Degale? I'd have to give him another year before he's ready.

As for a fight between the two of them. Styles make fights and I don't think there would be a great deal of difference in what Degale brings, but I think that Groves wouldn't be as cagey and would take a few more risks.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

I think Groves is better than Degale at this point in time. Groves has shown he has more than a plan A while Degale hasn't. We all know Groves can use his boxing to get the win or even go toe to toe and out tough his opponent.

If Degale can't pin his guy down and let the combinations go then I think he struggles.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:48 pm

I think they're both at a similar level to each other at this point.

Both have come off good wins against past their best but decent fighters. Groves looks to have a terrific engine movement and decent power, but do do think his last 2 opponents were made for him and we've yet to see him in a gut check fight other than the anderson fight. Looks promising thoug.

Degale was impressive in his last outing against Zuniga, dropping him in the 3rd shows he too has decent power. It is a little worrying that he gets pushed to the ropes quite easily although he does look comfortable there countering and not taking too many clean shots, not sure whether he has stamina issues there or its his current style. but against more able fighters he could run into trouble fighting this way. Is looking to fight 6 times next year so should iron out his flaws improve conditioning etc. I too think he needs to find another trainer as current one seems nothing more than a yes man cheerleader.

Both fighters look promising, Abraham is probably the target for a title shot, would like to see them in with contendors like Ooushuisten, Rodriguez, Stevenson and Grachev to see just where they're at.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:52 pm

Volcanicash wrote:I think they're both at a similar level to each other at this point.

Both have come off good wins against past their best but decent fighters. Groves looks to have a terrific engine movement and decent power, but do do think his last 2 opponents were made for him and we've yet to see him in a gut check fight other than the anderson fight. Looks promising thoug.

Degale was impressive in his last outing against Zuniga, dropping him in the 3rd shows he too has decent power. It is a little worrying that he gets pushed to the ropes quite easily although he does look comfortable there countering and not taking too many clean shots, not sure whether he has stamina issues there or its his current style. but against more able fighters he could run into trouble fighting this way. Is looking to fight 6 times next year so should iron out his flaws improve conditioning etc. I too think he needs to find another trainer as current one seems nothing more than a yes man cheerleader.

Both fighters look promising, Abraham is probably the target for a title shot, would like to see them in with contendors like Ooushuisten, Rodriguez, Stevenson and Grachev to see just where they're at.

Groves also had a gut check against Sierra. Bad cut and forced to change tactics and go toe to toe with him. We all know Groves can stand and trade if he really needs to but with his ability he doesn't and shouldn't need to. Not sure Degale has decent power, I actually see his knockdowns similar to Khans, it's the speed that catches you by surprise and off balance rather than any sort of power.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm

Agreed bad cut against Sierra but wouldn't say that was a gut check, Groves upped his punchoutput as a matter of urgency in case the fight was stopped because of it but aside from that Groves never took any real punishment. And yes of course if he doesn't need to but there will come a point when he does.

Degales knockdown wasn't just down to speed, Zuniga wasn't off balance like Johnson was in groves kd, I might add either, it was a one punch knockdown against a durable fighter. Not saying he has great power, but theres no doubt he has some!! OK

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down