The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ??

+6
ONETWOFOREVER
CallMeBenji
catchweight
Seanusarrilius
Qoxiivi
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ?? Empty Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 May 2014, 1:11 pm

Is it me or has Groves come on leaps and bounds and Degale stagnated..........

I picked Degale to beat Groves the first time and in fairness I thought he nicked a very close fight..........A fact hardly ever mentioned by ringside and others when congratulating Groves on his win !! All you hear is the perfect psyche job he did etc..Forgetting no one would have complained had James won..

However should Groves beat Froch and he has a great chance.......I'd probably have Degale 12/5 or 3/1 for the rematch.........I just don't think he's improved.........

Poor matchmaking hasn't expanded his skill set...............I'd pick Froch and Groves to win comfortably !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ?? Empty Re: Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ??

Post by Qoxiivi Thu 08 May 2014, 1:19 pm

He's improved a little, I think, but not nearly as much as he should have given the time elapsed. Would expect both Groves or Froch to KO him. Groves more so than Froch, for some reason. Think Froch is a more winable fight for DeGale, but still think Froch would likely stop him.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ?? Empty Re: Groves v Degale - Has Degale improved since Groves ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 May 2014, 1:26 pm

Degale is two years older than Groves..Can't help but feel that the time Degale has spent since their fight has been wasted.......

Still 28 is young enough these days I suppose........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 08 May 2014, 1:28 pm

I agree with every word Truss has said here.

Yes, every word.

Degale has suffered for the extremely poor competition he has faced since Groves. He also strikes me as a confidence fighter, and it was probably rocked after losing such a high profile fight (although he might have nicked it). He has been way too hittable versus very average fighters. Groves has developed his 'man' strength since then, so I could see him really hurting Degale in a rematch

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 08 May 2014, 1:42 pm

You will only find out when he ups his competition. His next fight is a good test. I think he is generally underrated.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Thu 08 May 2014, 2:06 pm

I tend to agree with the general consensus here.

I think that before the fight with Groves, JDG was viewed as the one with the most potential and he was coming off an impressive (or at least it was at the time) victory over Paul Smith. His path to a title seemed clearer based on his rate of progression. Groves was the one who people weren't too sure about, however he was always very honest when assessing himself (as was Booth - a very hard man to please) and he has never really been one to consider himself the finished article. He's bided his time to get his chance, all the while continuing to improve and then he's taken it when he's got it (albeit in a losing effort).

On the other hand, I think that JDG's early success and Olympic pedigree perhaps gave him a premature sense of entitlement. This was perhaps made worse by having McDonnell the yes man in his corner. As soon as he lost (I also had him winning - just) he seemed to hit a glass ceiling which as yet hasn't really broken through to move onto the next plateau. I think the key to him doing so is confidence and signing for Matchroom and getting big exposure will be key to this.

I don't think we're going to see an altogether different JDG against Gonzalez for two reasons - 1) He still has the yes man as his trainer and 2) Gonzalez is a step up in competition which might catch him out early one. However if he gets through this fight then, in his mind at least, I think that he'll narrow the gap between himself and Groves irrespective of whether Groves wins or loses in a few weeks time. In these circumstances I'd make JDG a very live underdog against Groves.

Let's not forget - the main cause for people saying that Groves has come on leaps and bounds is his ultimately losing effort against Froch who, in terms of technical boxing ability, is pretty crude in comparision to both Groves and JDG. Whilst there was still a fair argument prior to Froch Groves 1 that Groves has developed further, people weren't exactly shouting it from the roof tops. All of a sudden, he lands one on the button in round 1 and he's light years ahead of JDG. I still view Groves as the more developed fighter at this stage but I don't have it as wide as some.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 08 May 2014, 2:07 pm

Thing is Degale haters he actually beat Groves in the 1st fight.

Groves is getting to big for his ginger pubes and I hope Froch pancakes him.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 08 May 2014, 2:15 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Thing is Degale haters he actually beat Groves in the 1st fight.

I hope for your sake, DeGale doesn't get stage fright.

Must be daunting to fight in front of 65,000-80,000 after fighting in shop centres for the last 2 years...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 08 May 2014, 2:17 pm

The crowd will probably sh1t all over him as well. He is unpopular. Wont be pleasant for him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 08 May 2014, 2:19 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Thing is Degale haters he actually beat Groves in the 1st fight.

I hope for your sake, DeGale doesn't get stage fright.

Must be daunting to fight in front of 65,000-80,000 after fighting in shop centres for the last 2 years...

If you can fight infront of the infamous blue water mob then you can fight anywhere.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 May 2014, 2:21 pm

catchweight wrote:The crowd will probably sh1t all over him as well. He is unpopular. Wont be pleasant for him.

Only If they remember him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 08 May 2014, 3:22 pm

I hope Degale wins and wins well. Then he could build toward a Groves?Froch winner fight. But he hasn't shown too much of that talent. I worry that he is a six round fighter, too. Always seems to start well but end up spending time on the ropes later on, or drops output and coasts over the line. He has talent. Biggest issue for me is his trainer. He has not improved under him at all.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Thu 08 May 2014, 3:55 pm

Also, although this is pure supposition, I’d back Groves to have stopped (and in short order) every single one of the “tough, durable” European doormen that DeGale has so uninspiringly eked out decision wins against over the last three years.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 08 May 2014, 4:07 pm

Should Degale/Groves 2 come off, I honestly believe Groves has improved enough not only to outbox Degale but KO him,Degale has had problems with non punchers and hasn't improved enough, Groves has now shown he belongs in worldclass company and possesses worldclass power.

The fight may not take place for a while though after Groves loses to Froch,Degale will want his title shot against Froch, so Degale/Groves 2 will probably take place for the European title.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 May 2014, 4:14 pm

Picking Froch hey.......

Probably 50/50 on here......

Maybe someone should to a poll................95/5 Froch last time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 08 May 2014, 4:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Picking Froch hey.......

Definitely,think we'll see a far more focused Froch this time,I keep saying it McCracken will have watched that 1st fight a 1000 times by now and they'll be working on everything Froch got wrong on the night which was a helluva lot.
Groves hasn't felt the full force of  Froch yet I feel he will this fight, Froch in 7th or 8th.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 08 May 2014, 4:38 pm

NB* Rob McCracken is in the House

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 08 May 2014, 4:55 pm

catchweight wrote:

NB* Rob McCracken is in the House
Its the 2nd fight I'm talking about 1st ones history gone.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 08 May 2014, 7:19 pm

Nico the gman wrote:

Definitely,think we'll see a far more focused Froch this time,I keep saying it McCracken will have watched that 1st fight a 1000 times by now and they'll be working on everything Froch got wrong on the night which was a helluva lot.
Groves hasn't felt the full force of  Froch yet I feel he will this fight, Froch in 7th or 8th.

Yeah, I forgot, McCracken will get Froch quicker than Groves, make his hand speed and footspeed than Groves, make sure that Froch doesn't walk into right hands.... Which is something he's done his whole career.

Like Groves said last time, Froch isn't a fighter that can adapt, why Groves told him exactly what he was going to do to him before the final press conference, and went and did it.

Not saying Groves will definitely win, just putting it out there that I don't think there's a dramatic amount that McCracken will be able to change with Froch.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 08 May 2014, 8:49 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

Yeah, I forgot, McCracken will get Froch quicker than Groves, make his hand speed and footspeed than Groves, make sure that Froch doesn't walk into right hands.... Which is something he's done his whole career.

Like Groves said last time, Froch isn't a fighter that can adapt, why Groves told him exactly what he was going to do to him before the final press conference, and went and did it.

Not saying Groves will definitely win, just putting it out there that I don't think there's a dramatic amount that McCracken will be able to change with Froch.
You started your sentence with Yeah I forgot,didn't know you where having problems with your memory or was that just sarcasm Kiddo.

Who said anything about Froch's handspeed and foot movement been quicker but on your theory,McCracken tells Froch to go out and do nothing different from the 1st fight..

If the first fight with Groves is the best of Froch,then how the hell he beat Bute,Abrahams and Kessler is beyond me must have had a few lucky nights.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 08 May 2014, 8:58 pm

Rob McCracken will be in the house

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 08 May 2014, 9:28 pm

catchweight wrote:Rob McCracken will be in the house
I hope so its getting dark now wouldn't want him wandering the streets,might get mugged.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 09 May 2014, 4:22 am

Nico the gman wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

You started your sentence with Yeah I forgot,didn't know you where having problems with your memory or was that just sarcasm Kiddo.

Who said anything about Froch's handspeed and foot movement been quicker but on your theory,McCracken tells Froch to go out and do nothing different from the 1st fight..

If the first fight with Groves is the best of Froch,then how the hell he beat Bute,Abrahams and Kessler is beyond me must have had a few lucky nights.

Well... David Haye said before the fight on the panel, he watched Groves destroy Kessler everyday in sparring, Groves came out of sparring Kessler with a lot of confidence believing he was world class. Maybe it's just that Groves is better than the 3 mentioned above?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 09 May 2014, 10:59 am

Quite possible, Bute is absolutely terrible and Abraham one was one of the most overrated punchers of recent times.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 09 May 2014, 1:43 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

Well... David Haye said before the fight on the panel, he watched Groves destroy Kessler everyday in sparring, Groves came out of sparring Kessler with a lot of confidence believing he was world class. Maybe it's just that Groves is better than the 3 mentioned above?
If Haye said it it must be true then,being the genuine honest man he is, just shows you Groves destroy's Kessler in sparring,he's done something then nobody else has been able to do in the whole of Kesslers career.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down