The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeGale on Groves, wants Kessler

+9
AlexHuckerby
Il Gialloblu
School Project
eddyfightfan
rob-glos
tunes666
licence_007
Fists of Fury
oxring
13 posters

Go down

DeGale on Groves, wants Kessler Empty DeGale on Groves, wants Kessler

Post by oxring Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:08 pm

DeGale, in a recent interview, seemed to have a very balanced assessment of his defeat to Groves, as discussed with sky sports (reported here: http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/103101.html)

Amongst other things, he claims:

"I've learned a lot from the Groves fight," he said. "Obviously cutting down the ring and throwing a lot more punches is the first thing, while keeping a good defence.

"When I boxed Groves I made the first seven rounds a spar and although I was cutting down the ring, I wasn't throwing enough punches as I was doing it. I think the whole experience is going to change me as a fighter. I won't let anyone nick a fight the way Ugly Boy [Groves] did. I just can't.

He actually appears to have picked the major problem - cutting down the ring and not throwing enough punches. The fight was whisker thin as it was and a few more punches would have given it to DeGale.

On a different note, I have to question Groves' promotion. Where the hell is his publicity? Why do I know more about the defeated fighter's future plans than the victor? Shameful.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

DeGale on Groves, wants Kessler Empty Re: DeGale on Groves, wants Kessler

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:36 pm

It's the olympic thing, I think, Oxy. Same with Khan, and even Audley! Our olympic medallists seem to get given such greater publicity, even if they do seem to be bigger tools than people such as Groves.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

DeGale again calling Groves names...I really want to like DeGale, but until he grows up a bit, I want to see him sparked. Hopefully gets a fight with Kessler and gets his head knocked off.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

oxring wrote:DeGale, in a recent interview, seemed to have a very balanced assessment of his defeat to Groves, as discussed with sky sports (reported here: http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/103101.html)

Amongst other things, he claims:

"I've learned a lot from the Groves fight," he said. "Obviously cutting down the ring and throwing a lot more punches is the first thing, while keeping a good defence.

"When I boxed Groves I made the first seven rounds a spar and although I was cutting down the ring, I wasn't throwing enough punches as I was doing it. I think the whole experience is going to change me as a fighter. I won't let anyone nick a fight the way Ugly Boy [Groves] did. I just can't.

He actually appears to have picked the major problem - cutting down the ring and not throwing enough punches. The fight was whisker thin as it was and a few more punches would have given it to DeGale.

On a different note, I have to question Groves' promotion. Where the hell is his publicity? Why do I know more about the defeated fighter's future plans than the victor? Shameful.

Because at this point in time Degale has achieved more in the sport than Groves has... So far the only thing Groves can boast is beating an Olympic Champ... but its not the same as being one...

Also Degale has come right out and taken on a very difficult fight next which gives people something to talk about..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 30 Jul 2011, 9:43 am

Groves has beaten an Olympic champion, won the commonwealth belt and defended it three times and won the British belt.

DeGale has fought bums, won the British belt and lost his first defence.

For me, to this point, Groves has the better record.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 30 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

groves and degale are a million miles away from kessler. it would be an early night for him whichever one he faced.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 30 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

Tunes666.... Groves has fought all over the world, has a very VERY good amateur background, is committed to the sport and not the limelight and has a record equal to DeGale... can you explain what more DeGale has done other than win a medal?

If your comparing Gold medalists, would you consider Audley a greater heavyweight than Louis?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat 30 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

After reading this, anything 'in-ring' pales into insignificance to Degale still calling Groves "Ugly Kid".

Grow up mate. Pre-fight hype is all well and good but the man has beat you. Twice. I'm sure George is very hurt by your (in my view hypocritical) jibes, but he can probably console himself with the fact that he is 2-0 against you.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

Degale is alright at times, I just don't think he is a particularly bright young man really, did anyone see him on A Question Of Sport, Jebus he was a thick as pig-doo-doo. No doubt he got a few boxing questions right but my God just how he was interacting, he seemed very slow... I don't think he realised the PR impact it has still saying these things and if he does then he stil appears daft, unless it's his masterplan to keep the hype of the rematch between them alive a few years down the line.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

DeGale or DeFail whichever you prefer also thought Cornwall was a city!

Yes DeGale is thicker than a whale omlette.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Nice to see he seems to have a more reasonable view of the fight rather than his initial refusal to accept the result, an acknowledgement there were things he did not do in the fight seems a step in the right direction, he has talent and can certainly learn from this.

Would also have to agree about Groves. Was on the wave of a massive PR coup in beating Degale, his team should have built on this and got him back in action soon or announced something as publicity and good will like this does not come easily, should have looked to build some momentum.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

Yes Rowley but Groves is Haye's lap dog, I guess they forgot all about him because of the Haye Wlad build up.

Actually I think DeGale is still better than Groves despite the defeats to the "aesthetically challenged ginger haired person". DeGale looks like he can be a world champ one day but don't think Groves has the class to. Wouldn't be at all surprised if DeGale goes on to be Groves' career best win.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

Agree D but just think it is a pity that a fighter gets such a high profile win and then disappears, shows a little inexperience and naiveity on the part of Hayemaker, is hard enough for boxers to get positive press in this country, so on the rare occasions they do they should look to build on it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

Couldn't agree more Rowley but am merely suggesting the amount of energy expended by Hayemake for the Haye/Wlad fight probably steamrollered poor George into the shadows once more. I think Groves would be best placed trying to find a more established promoter.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

I think it would be interesting putting DeGale in with a big puncher like Miranda. Let's see how if he could deal with non-stop pressure.

And I know it's a step up but I'd love to see how he would deal with a fouler like Ward. Laugh

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

i just hope degale doesnt become a could have been, i thought the night got to him with groves, and the pressure shocked him, and he couldnt deal with it. i hope he really has learned from it- because if he puts in the amount (or lack of) effort against a world level opponent he will end up on the canvas.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:54 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I think it would be interesting putting DeGale in with a big puncher like Miranda. Let's see how if he could deal with non-stop pressure.

And I know it's a step up but I'd love to see how he would deal with a fouler like Ward. Laugh

Its been many years since Miranda offered non-stop pressure. But actually wouldn't be the worlds worst matchmaking from Warren.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

James who? You telling me that fool James DeGale. He has been running off at the mouth. When Kessler sees him...he is gonna close it for him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down