The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mallett bemoans foreign influence

3 posters

Go down

Mallett bemoans foreign influence Empty Mallett bemoans foreign influence

Post by Shifty Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3889_7102454,00.html

Italy coach Nick Mallet has criticised Treviso and Aironi for favouring foreign imports at the expense of homegrown players.

Mallett believes that by recruiting overseas players, the two clubs are hampering the progress of the Azzurri.

The former Springbok coach used Riccardo Bocchino - the fly-half he selected for Italy's 31-24 World Cup warm-up win over Japan on Saturday - as an example to highlight the problems he has faced with selection. Bocchino has struggled for game time at Aironi.

"There's no doubts that he's a player with a bright future but it's difficult to say he's the solution to our problems at number 10," Mallett told AFP.

"The problem at No.10 is a problem Italy has had for 10 years, the problem is top division teams have always signed contracts with foreigners to play at 10 who can't play for Italy," he added.

Mallett, who steps down after the World Cup, said the problem is not just restricted to that position.

"We saw the same problem at scrum-half for my first two years. I'm delighted we've found Gori and (Fabio) Semenzato," he said.

"But the important thing is to give an opportunity to Italians in key positions at club level and especially at Celtic League level. That's nine, 10, second row, props, eight, in all of them we need Italians."
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Mallett bemoans foreign influence Empty Re: Mallett bemoans foreign influence

Post by nganboy Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:05 am

Ha!
Got a similar problem with the coaching position
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:12 am

He does have a point but that said you also have to look at it from the Treviso/Aironi perspective. The status in the Rabbo is up for renewal at the end of this year and how they perform this year will count towards or against them (as well as other factors of course). They therefore they need to field the best sides as often as possible and development in youngsters is only a secondary obejective at the moment. I hope the move into the Rabbo becomes permanent for the Italians. They have massive supporters potential and commercial clout long term. Once they are no longer being reviewed (by the Celtic) there may be an option to start helping the National side out by developing players but at this very moment they have to secure the regional game.

So what have you made of the Italians at Regional level this year? I think they have done really well in the first season all things considered and they are a welcome addition as far as I am concerned.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down