The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beaver To Finish A Rat

4 posters

Go down

Beaver To Finish A Rat Empty Beaver To Finish A Rat

Post by Pal Joey Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

League legend Steve Menzies is set to play out his career with the Warringah Rats in the Shute Shield Suburban Rugby competition when he returns from Europe.

His record 349 games was broken by Brisbane's Darren Lockyer last Friday night, however with 57 games for the Bradford Bulls and a further 18 this year with the Catalan Dragons - Beaver has played a mind-boggling 464 games in NRL and SL combined.

He's scored 216 tries and kicked 2 goals for 864 points but has set up more points for other players with his skilled assists all over the park. His defence is another great hallmark of his play - fearless and effective to say the least.

I will never forget his famous try towards the end of the 40-0 demolition of the Melbourne Storm in the 2008 Grand Final. The place erupted in maroon & white... what a great day that was for us Manly-Warringah fans!

Beaver A Rat

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Beaver To Finish A Rat Empty Re: Beaver To Finish A Rat

Post by Kenny Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Menzies has had a fantastic career and truely deserves the tag Legend , only saw him on tv before his move to Superleague but what a player . Future coach ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

He might make a good coach. He's very popular with players, a decent communicator (but maybe a bit too humble?) and could sure impart some knowledge onto others.

I remember seeing him play in one of his earliest games in 1993 at Penrith Park. I was standing beside the cage where they were waiting to run onto the field. He was so young... about 19 or 20 I think. I can't believe he's still playing after all those years!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

He does seem to have been around for ever , i do think he would make a good coach i can see him getting an assistant coaches role 1st .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

Yeah, I can't see him ripping those big 70s earphones off and slamming them down in the coaches box like Des Hassler. Too calm a guy. Can't imagine him throwing a tanty.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:03 am

How big is 464 games?thats a lot of bruises...

I always remember Steve Menzies as a memmber of a group of young players ( Jack Elsegood,Danny Moore,Chris Ryan etc) playing as rookies amongst a team of seasoned,masters of the game.........Roberts ,Lyons,Williams,Cunningham etc long list...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:05 am

A very fine player and a great ambassador for our game.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

They had the 1994 Rd 17 clash v Illawarra Steelers on "Chooseday Night Football" yesterday.

Apparently that game had a huge bearing in getting Beaver selected for the end of year Kangaroo Tour. He had an amazing game - scored a fantastic try from inside halfway sending defenders in all directions and scoring beside the posts.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down