The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC Casualties and injury lists

+6
geoff998rugby
doctor_grey
HURLEY_BURLEY
Thomond
formerly known as Sam
GunsGerms
10 posters

Go down

RWC Casualties and injury lists Empty RWC Casualties and injury lists

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 am

Even though not all squads have been announced A lot of high profile players have already been ruled out due to injury or have been left out of their provisional world cup squads. I also list players currently injured but with a chance of still making the plane.

Injured – Definitely out

Danny Care (England) toe injury
Matthew Rhys (Wales) Neck
Gavin Henson (Wales) dislocated bone in wrist
Morgan Stoddart (Wales) broken ankle
Juan Martín Hernández (Argentina) knee
Hugo Southwell (Scotland) knee
Fergus Thomson (Scotland) shoulder. made the last WC squad but will miss out this time.
Juan Smit (South Africa) Achilles
Shane Horgan (Ireland) Knee injury
Ben Robinson (Australia) knee

Left out – will not be in New Zealand barring injuries

Matt Giteau (Australia) possible fall out with Deans, broke rank and revelead his omission on twitter.
Yannick Jauzion (France) Fall guy for Italy loss?
Clement Poitrenau (France) Fall guy for Italy loss?
Sebastian Chabal (France) France will not miss him too much as they have excellent back row options.
Peter Stringer (Ireland) Fifth choice scrum half for Ireland now but probably at one stage our best scrum half ever.
Yoann Huget (France) Withdrew from squad over doping breach
Danny Cipriani (England) Probably not even third choice England OH anymore with young Farrell showing lots of promise.
Craig Gower (Italy) Crazy Craig is off to play rugby league with Quins.
Jake White (South Africa) Despite his one man campaign to be reappointed SA coach PDiv will provide the entertainment in NZ.
Garreth Delve (Wales) Good season with Rebels but not good enough.
Mark Gerrard (Australia)
Lachie Turner(Australia)
Dean Mumm (Australia)
Rocky Elsom’s armband (Australia)

*Rocky Elsom has made the squad by the skin of his teeth but has been stripped of the captaincy. When informed by Dean’s Rocky replied “whatever is best for the team”. May be out of favour with Oz public but Rocky will always be a classy guy.

Injured – On the way back or tentative

David Wallace (Ireland) Hamstring, might miss second France test but not WC hopefully.
Chris Ashton (England) Ankle, should be ok hopefully
Lewis Moody (England) knee. Johnson reckons he will be back v Ireland next weekend
Drew Mitchell (Australia) Named in Aus squad despite not having played since injuring his ankle v the Reds this year.
Francois Steyn (South Africa) Hamstring
Stephen Ferris (Ireland) on the bench for France second test but seat on plane still in the balance.
Wycliff Palu (Australia) like Ferris just coming back from Knee surgery.
Berrick Barnes (Australia) Named in the Australia squad as cover for Cooper despite concussion prompted sabbatical.
Gordon Darcy (Ireland) starts v France after recovering from ankle surgery.
Rob Kearney (Ireland) minor groin strain, should be ok
Tommy Bowe (Ireland) foot, should be back soon.
Ryan Jones (Wales) Calf
Gethin Jenkins (Wales) Calf. May miss opening WC game but should make the squad.
Maxime Mermoz (France) sprained ankle v Ireland. Should be ok.
Fabien Barcella (France) bicep. Might not make squad at this point.
Sitiveni Sivivatu (New Zealand) fractured eye socket.

Leaving After the WC:

Nick Mallet (Italy) Italian coach England born Saffa Nick Mallet will be going to the WC but will be replaced immediately after by Frenchman Jacques Brunel.

Interesting it seems knee injuries are the most common.

One thing is for sure there will be more high profile injuries prior to the WC. There always is.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

RWC Casualties and injury lists Empty Re: RWC Casualties and injury lists

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:20 am

Danny Cipriani (England) Probably not even third choice England OH anymore with young Farrell showing lots of promise.

Farrell doesn't come into it. The current first team ranking is Flood, Wilko and Hodgson. With a fierce battle going on between Flood and Wilko.

Geordan Murphy is coming back from his injury rather well as well. By all accounts he played well against Connacht and scored a try, as long as the usual foreign based player bias doen't kick in he could well be on the plane to NZ.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 am

He won't be on the plane to NZ,Jones is there. His injury hampered him,if he was fit for the 6N then he could have got there. Nothing to do with bias in this case.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am

Nothing to do with bias - Don't see any bias against Tommy Bowe !
Murphy or Jones - both would do a good job I reckon.
Wallace & Ferris are much more of a concern. Rumours are Ferris has no cartilage left in his knee. Now I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't sound great.

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Farrell doesn't come into it. The current first team ranking is Flood, Wilko and Hodgson. With a fierce battle going on between Flood and Wilko.

Geordan Murphy is coming back from his injury rather well as well. By all accounts he played well against Connacht and scored a try, as long as the usual foreign based player bias doen't kick in he could well be on the plane to NZ.

Murphy looks to be third choice FB though the reports I read said he was excellent v Connacht so who knows. I'm sure there is a slight bias re foreign based players alright, Bowe aside as he is one of our best players.

Indeed hodgson is third choice but I reckon Farrell might be the future. Also I reckon a surprise inclusion for England might be Sharples. I'd pick him ahead of the utterly useless Banahan anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 am

Does anyone know the nature and extent of John Smit's are injury? I have heard reports ranging from a simple strained muscle to the muscle being torn off the bone.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:44 am

doctor_grey wrote:Does anyone know the nature and extent of John Smit's are injury? I have heard reports ranging from a simple strained muscle to the muscle being torn off the bone.

I would take injury news from SA with a grain of salt. If there ae any other injuries I have missed please feel free to post.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 am

If Ferris comes through his stint against France he is on the plance - his place would not be the balance.

Not foreign bias re Murphy he is head to head with Jones and it is close.
Kearney will go and Earls will go in front of him and in both cases rightly so.

Bowe and Buckley will go and they are with Ospreys and Sale respectively

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 am

Indeed hodgson is third choice but I reckon Farrell might be the future

I don't rate Farrell very much and won't until he consistently shows he has more to his game than organising a crash or kicking the leather off the ball. Excellent points kicker and solid in defence so the platform is there for him to excel but I want to see a lot more from him in attack, otherwise he's just a poor man Wilkinson. He failed to impress in the JWC and was moved to 12.

I'm sure he'll be an international at some point but I think Burns and Clegg are more likely to enter the international scene first. I think most of England would prefer to see Sharples in the squad ahead of Banahan at the moment.

Murphy looks to be third choice FB though the reports I read said he was excellent v Connacht so who knows.

Hmm well I might be slightly bias but a half Kearney and an untested Jones should leave Murphy in with a good shout he can prove his own fitness. I've not seen a great deal of Jones, just a couple of the European games and quite honestly I just don't understand the hype. He's got pace and a step but seemingly not a great deal else. I'm sure more regular viewers of his will correct me though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 am

Sam - I agree with you about Jones. I haven't seen enough to comment about all this potential we hear about.
A pal of mine who is in the know as a former schools international and someone very involved in club and underage rugby says Jones is one of the most exciting/talented young players he has ever seen, and that includes Earls/Kearney/Fitz etc.
I would respect his opinion. I am just excited to see him tranlsate all the potential into performances for Ireland in the years ahead. Its great to have another young one to keep the pressure on Kearney also - make him up his game.

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:03 am

Kearney is a better player than Murphy. Kearney has shown enough in warm up games to still be rated Ireland número uno. I don't understand the Jones hype either. He was rated a good youngster in Leinster with promise but not enough to break through, now recovered from some horrific injuries he has had a good season with Munster but has only really been tested in the ML.

I worry about Murphys defense but Id pick him on experience, Kidney will pick Jones.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:17 am

leinsterbaby wrote:Rocky Elsom’s armband (Australia) 
Superb! Laugh

Scotland are really only waiting on confirmation that Euan Murray (achilles) and Chris Cusiter (knee) are fit enough to demonstrate that they can travel - which hopefully we'll see on Saturday when both are expected to make appearances from the bench against Italy at Murrayfield. Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:23 am

leinsterbaby wrote:Kearney is a better player than Murphy. Kearney has shown enough in warm up games to still be rated Ireland número uno. I don't understand the Jones hype either. He was rated a good youngster in Leinster with promise but not enough to break through, now recovered from some horrific injuries he has had a good season with Munster but has only really been tested in the ML.

I worry about Murphys defense but Id pick him on experience, Kidney will pick Jones.
Murphy played well enough last night, but looks a little off the pace. You can see that he still has the brain, and can run the lines, but his pace is gone. He looked like he was favouring one leg slightly when running.

He is not on the plane anyway.

Someone "leaked" a team on another forum that had 4 props but no Court. Looked otherwise believable. No Jennings. Murray for Boss, Jones ahead of Murphy, and Fitz ahead of McFaden.

The biggest shock for me would be no Cullen as posters on this board seem to be saying.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 am

Cullen and McFadden should be picked.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:34 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Superb! Laugh

Scotland are really only waiting on confirmation that Euan Murray (achilles) and Chris Cusiter (knee) are fit enough to demonstrate that they can travel - which hopefully we'll see on Saturday when both are expected to make appearances from the bench against Italy at Murrayfield. Braveheart

When playing with a fagpaper's depth of strength, the perennial weakness of Scotland is always exposed.

I don't want to plough old ground, but is the ML the best place to play their best rugby?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:35 am

Superb! Laugh

Sorry meant to include Cussiter have been following his progress. Didn't know about Murray thanks.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:37 am

leinsterbaby wrote:Cullen and McFadden should be picked.
Pretty sure McF will miss out, Cullen should make it imo.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:37 am

Portnoy wrote:
Superb! Laugh

When playing with a fagpaper's depth of strength, the perennial weakness of Scotland is always exposed.

I don't want to plough old ground, but is the ML the best place to play their best rugby?
Yes - this is like deja-vu all over again! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:49 am

leinsterbaby wrote:Cullen and McFadden should be picked.

If McFadden goes Fitzgerald doesn't and that assumes a 16-14 split

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote: Someone "leaked" a team on another forum that had 4 props but no Court. Looked otherwise believable. No Jennings. Murray for Boss, Jones ahead of Murphy, and Fitz ahead of McFaden.

The biggest shock for me would be no Cullen as posters on this board seem to be saying.

Seeing as the squad is not finalized this is pure specualtion on the part of the 'leaker'

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote: Someone "leaked" a team on another forum that had 4 props but no Court. Looked otherwise believable. No Jennings. Murray for Boss, Jones ahead of Murphy, and Fitz ahead of McFaden.

Seeing as the squad is not finalized this is pure specualtion on the part of the 'leaker'

And even in the microscopic view of things what difference would it make?

A final selection is a final selection from the coach/manager. No amount of Muppet or facearsing is going ultimately change stuff.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:22 pm

henson is in the possible part- he will be out for 6-8 weeks but i rekon he will be back in 4 due to the fitness (as is the way with all sportsmen)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down