The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract

+8
Comfort
ML
munkian
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
TycroesOsprey
maestegmafia
Turkster
welsh-matfield
12 posters

Go down

Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract Empty Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract

Post by welsh-matfield Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

The highly rated Matthew Morgan and relatively unknown (in comparison) openside Emyr Williams have both signed there first professional contract according to ospreys website.http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5674.php. Your thoughts?

Last edited by welsh-matfield on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract Empty Re: Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

my first thought was 'who's Matthew Moran?'. but then I read your post and thought 'oh, it's him, good for him' Wink

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract Empty Re: Matthew Morgan signs a new Ospreys Contract

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

Great news, but also rather inevitable, despite the rumours of Morgan being linked to other regions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

can't help wondering if the Ospreys might try to get him to change position, maybe with Shane about to retire from internationals, maybe rugby altogether, if they see him as a like for like replacement.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Turkster wrote:can't help wondering if the Ospreys might try to get him to change position, maybe with Shane about to retire from internationals, maybe rugby altogether, if they see him as a like for like replacement.

God I hope not although anything is possible with the chuckle brothers and gerard in charge down at the liberty. 🤦 Im quite concerned that they are going to stifle his development as it is.

I hope Morgan has got a big season ahead of him. My biggest fear is he ends up like Arwel Thomas who never really reached the heights he could have done.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

This could spur on Dan Biggar who although is no longer the golden boy, is a bloody good player.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

Yeah Biggar is a good player but I dont think hes going to get back into the Welsh Team with Hook, Tovey and espescially Priestland ahead of him. Morgan has the potential to challenge those guys, Im not sure Dan does.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

International rugby's not everything though. A solid club game isn;t the worst thing for Ospreys.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

How is Tovey ahead of Biggar ? Hes not eeven been capped yet Doh
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

munkian wrote:How is Tovey ahead of Biggar ? Hes not eeven been capped yet Doh
He was in the preliminary Welsh squad pre-injury ahead of Biggar, so i would concur.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

munkian wrote:How is Tovey ahead of Biggar ? Hes not eeven been capped yet Doh

Biggar got his turn in the welsh Squad when Os were trying to play a similar game to Wales, now the regional game plan seems to be kick as plan A and plan B is "think about something else and THEN kick".

I think this has harmed Biggar's immediate prospects of a return to the squad

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:26 pm

Ah, good point, I completely forgot that. He seems fine now, looked good agasint Russia OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

matthew morgan + pies = the welsh Schalk Brits. lets get it done!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:08 pm

Turkster wrote:can't help wondering if the Ospreys might try to get him to change position, maybe with Shane about to retire from internationals, maybe rugby altogether, if they see him as a like for like replacement.

Cant see it myself the Ospreys already have 3 first choice international wingers in tommy bowe, niki walker and shane williams.

With back ups Tom Prdie, kristian phillips, dirksen and a few other promising ones.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Not surprising really. I can't see him nailing down a starting spot this season but if he can get more minutes, that can only be positive. He will be a good change of pace player to the way Biggar plays.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:19 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

Cant see it myself the Ospreys already have 3 first choice international wingers in tommy bowe, niki walker and shane williams.

With back ups Tom Prdie, kristian phillips, dirksen and a few other promising ones.

what part of 'like for like replacement' for Shane Williams was difficult for you? Rolling Eyes and I can't see Tommy Bowe staying for much longer, Nikki Walker's a cart-horse, Dirksen's a centre, Pridie's a fullback, so that leaves Kristian Phillips and er, um, meanwhile Biggar's first choice outsidehalf, all I've said basically is they may see his future on the wing, especially seeing as he's twt/twee/tiny and opposition 12's at 16 stone plus will be running down his channel all day long.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:13 pm

Turkster wrote:what part of 'like for like replacement' for Shane Williams was difficult for you? Rolling Eyes and I can't see Tommy Bowe staying for much longer, Nikki Walker's a cart-horse, Dirksen's a centre, Pridie's a fullback, so that leaves Kristian Phillips and er, um, meanwhile Biggar's first choice outsidehalf, all I've said basically is they may see his future on the wing, especially seeing as he's twt/twee/tiny and opposition 12's at 16 stone plus will be running down his channel all day long.

Actually Dirksen has been playing left wing not center.
I agree Morgan would make a good winger, but I just don't think the oppertunities will be there for him in light of the amount of competition. If Biggar plays poorly, then he's much more likely to be a fly half.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

mmm, I suppose it's a good problem to have for the Ospreys, if in the event he proves hard to keep out of the team then they'll have a choice to make, good for them though anyway.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:31 pm

Turkster wrote:mmm, I suppose it's a good problem to have for the Ospreys, if in the event he proves hard to keep out of the team then they'll have a choice to make, good for them though anyway.

Dont forget about Eli Walker either, he's probably pushed himself ahead of Kristian Phillips and Prydie as well.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

I'm not sure about Kristian Phillips, he's amazing going forward but in defence he's totally rubbish, seems like a Welsh Tom Varndell, whether he'll make it I'm not too sure. Prydie seems to have it all, just needs to settle in to one position, I reckon he'll go to fullback.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 19 Aug 2011, 5:44 pm

Turkster wrote:I'm not sure about Kristian Phillips, he's amazing going forward but in defence he's totally rubbish, seems like a Welsh Tom Varndell, whether he'll make it I'm not too sure. Prydie seems to have it all, just needs to settle in to one position, I reckon he'll go to fullback.

Yes I'm inclined to agree about Prydie being a Full back, he looks a bit like a young Gareth Thomas, but without the mental issues.
All things being equal the Ospreys do seem to have a fair bit of young talent to call on... and I don't just mean the ladies in the club shop heart

15 Tom Prydie (19)
14 Hanno Dirksen (20)
13 Gareth Owen (22)
12 Ashley Beck (21) / Ben john (20)
11 Kristian Phillips (20) / Eli Walker (19)
10 Dan Biggar (21) / Matthew Morgan (19)
9 Rhys Webb (22)
8 Morgan Allen (21)
7 Justin Tipuric (21)
4 James King (20)
3 Jo Rees (20)
2 Scott Baldwin (22)
1 Ryan Bevington (22)
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:52 pm

sam davies (son of nigel) will be ahead of morgan by this time next year imo.

Morgan at 9 was something I have wondered about before, wing is another option but can you imagine him marking tulagi or george north?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

Did you mean Swansea?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down