The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthew Morgan to Bristol

+14
Shifty
Bathite
Cardiff Dave
Chunky Norwich
XR
Mickado
doctornickolas
maestegmafia
Notch
bedfordwelsh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
LeinsterFan4life
Tattie Scones RRN
wales606
18 posters

Go down

Matthew Morgan to Bristol Empty Matthew Morgan to Bristol

Post by wales606 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26448128

Interesting move, Bristol seem to be signing a lot of players for next season already, even though they don't know which competition they will be playing in.

Nicky Robinson and Matthew Morgan will be their flyhalves - that's going to be erratic
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Matthew Morgan to Bristol Empty Re: Matthew Morgan to Bristol

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 05 Mar 2014, 5:22 pm

Bristol will be in the Prem next year I guarantee it. The difference between them being promoted over the other play-off teams is.........

Ross Rennie

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 05 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm

If Bristol get promoted they are staying up! Watch out Newcastle...

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

Good to see him stepping up to a championship club, be interesting to see how he gets on in a serious league

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm

I find it a bit of strange move really, I can understand his desire to be 1st choice (possibly) which he wouldn't of got at the Os and I guess Holley being there may have had some influence but I just think its a strange move.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 05 Mar 2014, 8:34 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Good to see him stepping up to a championship club, be interesting to see how he gets on in a serious league

Ooh, get her!  Wink 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 06 Mar 2014, 6:44 am

Matthew Morgan and Dwayne peel as halfbacks..!

Should be interesting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:44 am

Shame to lose him from Wales and the Rabo.

Wouls have liked to see him move to the Blues to provides some real line breaks. On their pitch he could have done really well. And yes I would have made him first choice at the Blues. Patchell has a long way to go to convince me of his credentials.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

They've also signed Jack O'Connell (prop) and Darren Hudson (winger) from Leinster, two very highly rated players. O'Connell is behind Healy and McGrath (and probably Bent) so understandable that he's leaving for gametime, Hudson is a player that most Leinster fans are keen to see get more gametime ahead of the likes of Darragh Fanning but for whatever reason the management don't see it that way.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

It doesn't stop there either Mick- they've signed three Samoan internationals. Jack Lam, David Lemi and Anthony Perenise. As well as Dwayne Peel as someone mentioned above.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:06 pm

doctornickolas wrote:Shame to lose him from Wales and the Rabo.

Wouls have liked to see him move to the Blues to provides some real line breaks. On their pitch he could have done really well. And yes I would have made him first choice at the Blues. Patchell has a long way to go to convince me of his credentials.

While i wouldn't argue that we need another fly half to share the load with patchell, our priorities lie elsewhere. There's no point the western mail and posters saying that we should sign him, we need to address our forwards issues first and foremost. because while MM can make line breaks and spectacular tries, we don't provide the same platform that he gets at the Ospreys and he would suffer because he would have less quality ball and spend more time defending, where he can be dominated.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:47 pm

He's very very average at doing what outside halves are supposed to do. No loss to Wales.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

gcBlues wrote:

While i wouldn't argue that we need another fly half to share the load with patchell, our priorities lie elsewhere. There's no point the western mail and posters saying that we should sign him, we need to address our forwards issues first and foremost. because while MM can make line breaks and spectacular tries, we don't provide the same platform that he gets at the Ospreys and he would suffer because he would have less quality ball and spend more time defending, where he can be dominated.

Completely agree, also he would be well below Patchell in the pecking order.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 06 Mar 2014, 4:04 pm

wales606 wrote:
gcBlues wrote:

Completely agree, also he would be well below Patchell in the pecking order.

Aye and I just checked the Os website and was surprised to learn that MM weighs in at a mere 11st 6lbs in his pants which is 2 stone less than Dai Flan apparently and a full 3 stone less than Patch.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 06 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

11st 6lbs? I've had turds heavier than that

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 08 Mar 2014, 8:56 pm

Bristol actually went in for Sam Warburton as well, and offered him a pretty good deal before he signed the central contract.

It was mentioned to me last week that Bristol had gone in for Morgan as their first choice fly half next season with Robinson as back up.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sun 09 Mar 2014, 11:57 am

Robinson is a better 10 than Morgan surely?!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:35 am

Andy Robinson is Bristol coach isnt he? Bristol have signed two young Leinster players for next year too. Looks like they are going to have a good enough side:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/leinster-lose-two-young-players-to-bristol-1.1713477

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 14 Mar 2014, 5:18 pm

I still thing Morgan would be better playing on the wing, he could be the next Shane Williams! At 10 he will always be targeted in defence and even if he does a Dan Parks and hides at 15 during the defensive shift, he will still be targeted.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 14 Mar 2014, 9:31 pm

Shifty wrote:Bristol actually went in for Sam Warburton as well, and offered him a pretty good deal before he signed the central contract.

It was mentioned to me last week that Bristol had gone in for Morgan as their first choice fly half next season with Robinson as back up.

This reminds me vaguely of Sweeney out the door and SNK as back up instead, except NR (and brother JR) said tara i'm off and i'll send you a postcard, so where you moving to? The rest is very expensive history.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:04 am

Building a pretty healthy squad. If they do get promoted they'd have a much better chance of staying up than the majority do in their first season. If they stay in the Championship but keep hold of the signings it should put them in a very strong position for next season too. Good work all round by the management IMO.

I would love to see Luke Eves back in the prem as a more rounded and experienced player as well!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down