The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best derby in the world?

+8
Derbyblue
Kenny
Fernando
Gaelic-Warrior
The Galveston Giant
Thomond
Mat
Crimey
12 posters

Go down

What is the best derby in the world? Empty What is the best derby in the world?

Post by Crimey Fri 19 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

After a topic in the Premier League section about the upcoming Newcastle vs. Sunderland game, it got me thinking about what the best derby is in the world. Of course, that depends what you're looking for in a derby, is it the ferocity, the history or the best game of techinical and beautiful football?

I think there are obviously quite a lot of contenders, just looking in England we have:

The Mersyside Derby
Manchester Derby
Newcastle/Sunderland
North London Derby
Birmingham vs. Aston Villa
West Ham vs. Millwall even?

Then we have perhaps the strongest contender in the Old Firm derby, which, whether or not Scottish football is at the level it has been in the past (super_realist Wink ) the Old Firm's rivalry burns strong.

Or is the best derby abroad?

What do you guys think?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What is the best derby in the world? Empty Re: What is the best derby in the world?

Post by Mat Fri 19 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

Sevilla vs Betis is pretty tasty.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

What is the best derby in the world? Empty Re: What is the best derby in the world?

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

Boca Juniors/River Plate is a big one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:18 pm

Depends what you mean by best? Do you mean the how instense is the rivalry,or the atmosphere or what? I'm going to go Boca Juniors V River Plate.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

I suppose it also depends on who you talk to as well. I'm sure Brummies see the second city derby as the best.

The most intense in the UK has to be the old firm game surely?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

FreekShow wrote:I suppose it also depends on who you talk to as well. I'm sure Brummies see the second city derby as the best.

Yeah it doesn't get much more intense than the old firm, although i've seen someone throw a motorbike at someone in the stands below them in South America.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
FreekShow wrote:I suppose it also depends on who you talk to as well. I'm sure Brummies see the second city derby as the best.

Yeah it doesn't get much more intense than the old firm, although i've seen someone throw a motorbike at someone in the stands below them in South America.

I'd love to know how you get a motorbike into a stadium?!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:01 pm

laughing

So would i, i'm sure he threw it at the riot police, was a moped. Crazy over there. Don't think they bother with stewards and have the riot police on stanby.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

For me the best derby has to be LFC V Man U followed by the merseyside derby. In the UK though the most intense derby is the old firm hands down, although because the need to win OF derbies is so great due to their dominance in the SPL sometimes the teams don't play as entertaining football as they could.

I don't know if the OF intensity matches some of the south-american ones though, some eastern european ones can be nuts too.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:07 pm

galatasary vs fenerbache is never pretty either

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

fernando wrote:galatasary vs fenerbache is never pretty either

Pure hatred , i was on holiday in Turkey 14 years ago and the owner of our hotel had a spare ticket so took me to this game and i can honestly say i have never been so scared in my life !
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

I think Leak threw a great one in the mix in Millwall/West Ham.

Could you imagine this on a regular basis?

Guaranteed recipe for destruction!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

it could become regular , west ham don't look like getting promoted and millwall are a solid mid table champ side

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:41 pm

Some that I'm aware are pretty intense:
Wisla Krakow vs Cracovia (Wisla Krakow vs Legia Warsaw is reportedly pretty tasty too)
Real Madrid vs Barcelona (no idea how this hasn't been mentioned yet)
Juventus vs Inter Milan
Juventus vs Torino
Inter Milan vs AC Milan
Roma vs Lazio
Ferencvaros vs Ujpest

And I had to chuck it in: Derby County vs Nottingham Forest.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:47 pm

partizan belgrade vs red star belgrade

Olympiakos v Panathinaikos

ive been to the partizan vs red star game and i got hit with a seat thrown from the away fans mad

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

How is Juve/Inter Milan a derby? Stretching the boundaries a bit there!

And isn't Barcelona and Madrid 300+ miles apart?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:10 pm

FreekShow wrote:How is Juve/Inter Milan a derby? Stretching the boundaries a bit there!

Depends on your definition of it being a derby, I personally count it as pretty much any fierce rivalry unless someone had specified a local derby, which I would like to point out no-one did specify, also if you disagree so much please explain why the Juventus vs Inter Milan game is called "Derby d'Italia" if it isn't a derby.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

Red Star fans are mental. My club drew them in Europe a few years ago. Our club had a Bosnian midfielder and let's just say they didn't like him very much! Great times but scary too!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:How is Juve/Inter Milan a derby? Stretching the boundaries a bit there!

Depends on your definition of it being a derby, I personally count it as pretty much any fierce rivalry unless someone had specified a local derby, which I would like to point out no-one did specify, also if you disagree so much please explain why the Juventus vs Inter Milan game is called "Derby d'Italia" if it isn't a derby.

Well derby d'Italia is self explanatory in that it means derby of Italy like Southampton vs Newcastle is the derby of England! There is a fierce rivalry between Man Utd and Arsenal but it doesn't make it a derby match when they meet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Well derby d'Italia is self explanatory in that it means derby of Italy like Southampton vs Newcastle is the derby of England! There is a fierce rivalry between Man Utd and Arsenal but it doesn't make it a derby match when they meet.
Who calls it the "Derby of England"? A quick google of these words returns no mention of Southampton vs Newcastle.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Who calls it the "Derby of England"? A quick google of these words returns no mention of Southampton vs Newcastle.

I was taking the you-know-what regarding my Southampton/Newcastle example but you are missing the point. Local derby and derby mean the same thing in essence otherwise the term 'derby' is a contradiction?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

I was taking the you-know-what regarding my Southampton/Newcastle example but you are missing the point. Local derby and derby mean the same thing in essence otherwise the term 'derby' is a contradiction?
Fine I accept it should be fairly local and so you can take Barcelona vs Real Madrid out of the question, but I think Juventus vs Inter counts.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:34 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Fine I accept it should be fairly local and so you can take Barcelona vs Real Madrid out of the question, but I think Juventus vs Inter counts.

Fair enough but to contradict myself here a little I am sure, but not certain, that Crystal Palace/Brighton is deemed a derby which is ludicrous bearing in mind how many sides are based in and around the south London area. Work that one out because I can't!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Fair enough but to contradict myself here a little I am sure, but not certain, that Crystal Palace/Brighton is deemed a derby which is ludicrous bearing in mind how many sides are based in and around the south London area. Work that one out because I can't!
From Wikipedia "Palace and Brighton are over 40 miles apart and their rivalry did not develop until Palace's relegation to the Third Division in 1974. The clubs had two of the division's biggest followings, communications between Croydon and Brighton were good and many fans were keen to travel to an away fixture. The rivalry reached a climax when the two teams were drawn together in the First Round of the FA Cup in 1976. However, the two did not play in a league encounter between 1988 and 2002, leading to a lull in the rivalry, and Palace fans turning their attentions to neighbours Millwall during the 1990s. However, the return of Brighton to the second tier saw Brighton lose to Palace 5–0 in a memorable game with Andy Johnson scoring a hat-trick. Brighton gained revenge in 2005 with a 1-0 win at Selhurst Park, however, a month later at the Withdean, Palace twice came from behind, with Dougie Freedman scoring his 100th goal and Jobi McAnuff scoring in the last minute to win the game 3-2." Won't have been helped by Glenn Murray moving to Palace.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:01 am

Inter v Juve is known as The Italian Derby in the same way as Barca v Real is known as The Spanish Derby.
They may not define the local rivalry derby but they are still thought of in that manner like Utd v Liverpool.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:23 am

Hero wrote:Inter v Juve is known as The Italian Derby in the same way as Barca v Real is known as The Spanish Derby.
They may not define the local rivalry derby but they are still thought of in that manner like Utd v Liverpool.

I get what you are saying Hero but where do you draw the line? These so called 'derby's' are born out of a historical competitive rivalry more than a geographical sense which is what a derby it is?

Liverpool and Man Utd has never been classed as an absolute derby. A north west derby yes but no different than a Southampton/Newcastle match being referred to as a north - south derby.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

I think that's just it though, they're historical rivalry based derbies rather than geographical ones.
But what defines the distance between two clubs for it still to be regarded as a geographical one?
If you have two clubs within a city then that's a derby ie Utd v City, Liverpool v Everton etc, but some cities don't have two clubs so instead you get Norwich v Ipswich, Portsmouth v Southampton etc
Now most people would regard Norwich v Ipswich as a derby, that's 43 miles distance between the clubs, yet Utd & Liverpool is only 33 miles.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:46 am

Hero wrote:I think that's just it though, they're historical rivalry based derbies rather than geographical ones.
But what defines the distance between two clubs for it still to be regarded as a geographical one?
If you have two clubs within a city then that's a derby ie Utd v City, Liverpool v Everton etc, but some cities don't have two clubs so instead you get Norwich v Ipswich, Portsmouth v Southampton etc
Now most people would regard Norwich v Ipswich as a derby, that's 43 miles distance between the clubs, yet Utd & Liverpool is only 33 miles.

I get your thinking with that but a derby is a derby and every club has or at least should have ONE significant derby. I am a Liverpool fan and I never consider Man Utd/Liverpool a derby. Everton/Liverpool yes but Utd/Liverpool no! It's a rivalry yes but a derby no!

Of course opinions differ and maybe by the scheme of things I am wrong.

My local news has been building up the Oxford/Swindon game this weekend as THE derby yet it wasn't that long ago that they were hyping the Oxford/Reading match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 20 Aug 2011, 1:19 am

FreekShow wrote:I get your thinking with that but a derby is a derby and every club has or at least should have ONE significant derby. I am a Liverpool fan and I never consider Man Utd/Liverpool a derby. Everton/Liverpool yes but Utd/Liverpool no! It's a rivalry yes but a derby no!
Please attempt to give me a logical reason for Carlisle United having a significant derby.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2011, 1:23 am

Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:I get your thinking with that but a derby is a derby and every club has or at least should have ONE significant derby. I am a Liverpool fan and I never consider Man Utd/Liverpool a derby. Everton/Liverpool yes but Utd/Liverpool no! It's a rivalry yes but a derby no!
Please attempt to give me a logical reason for Carlisle United having a significant derby.

I am actually laughing at that! I have no answer!!

Post of the day!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Sat 20 Aug 2011, 1:26 am

river plate v boca is pure hatred
celtic v rangers for sad reasons

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 20 Aug 2011, 1:36 am

FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Post of the day!!!!!!
I was looking forward to your answer, not that I expected it to make much sense.

Post of the day and it's not even 2a.m. you don't have high hopes for the rest of the day.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2011, 1:43 am

Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Post of the day!!!!!!
I was looking forward to your answer, not that I expected it to make much sense.

Post of the day and it's not even 2a.m. you don't have high hopes for the rest of the day.

Chill out Derby, it might not ever happen mate.

I'll be okay buddy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:30 am

FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Post of the day!!!!!!

I'll be okay buddy!
What might not ever happen? Also that wasn't meant to sound like I was insulting your abilities to make sense, but was meant to say I don't think anyone could put forward a logical reason for a significant derby involving Carlisle United.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:34 am

Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Post of the day!!!!!!

I'll be okay buddy!
What might not ever happen? Also that wasn't meant to sound like I was insulting your abilities to make sense, but was meant to say I don't think anyone could put forward a logical reason for a significant derby involving Carlisle United.
#

Derby I NEVER take offence from anybody on the football boards! I respect all you guy's opinions. That's why I laughed at the Carlisle example. Have a great weekend my friend!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

Pompy vs Saints is pretty fiesty down on the south coast.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

Albion vs Wolves

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 22 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

galatasary vs fenerbache is insane

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down