The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

your teams one to watch this season (youngsters)

+20
Thomond
greybeard
pete (buachaill on eirne)
HongKongCherry
ScarletSpiderman
Smirnoffpriest
thewaspsblog
Bathman_in_London
yappysnap
DaveM
MBTGOG
jb1973
Shifty
Taffineastbourne
formerly known as Sam
Irish Curry
Standulstermen
wales606
Turkster
GavinDragon
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

your teams one to watch this season (youngsters) Empty your teams one to watch this season (youngsters)

Post by GavinDragon Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

just wondering what young players do people think will break into their club/province/region's first team this season?

at the dragons im looking forward to seeing how steffan jones goes while also hooker rhys buckley

i went to watch the blues pre season at pontypridd and was impressed by the young lock downs!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

your teams one to watch this season (youngsters) Empty Re: your teams one to watch this season (youngsters)

Post by Turkster Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

Scott Williams should become a regular starter at the Scarlets.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

your teams one to watch this season (youngsters) Empty Re: your teams one to watch this season (youngsters)

Post by wales606 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

McCauley Cook, Harry Robinson, Owen Williams and James Downs at the Blues.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

wales 606 ive only see either of them play briefly but downs looks a better prospect than cook? still it bodes well for good competition within the blues squad!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

Downs has had more gametime and experience, Cook is still young but looked good as the U20s captain this year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

Luke Marshall

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

what position ulsterman?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

He has played 10 and 15 but he is a 12 from what i have seen. Starred against the Blues last season at Ravenhill and has all the attributes of a World Class 12. He has a good kicking game, good pace, a nice step and is powerful enough in contact. to my mind he can become the lynchpin in Ulster and Ireland midfield post BOD but he has to deliver on it.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

Well for munster Conor Murray, Felix Jones, Danny Barnes and our other young scrum half who's name I can never remember Rolling Eyes mad
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

Richard de Carpienter - Number 8 - England University player last year, was also selected for the England sevens team. Accepted a trial with Leicester Tigers A Team and has earnt his first pro contract.

Tom Armes - Openside - ball carrying backrower, much stronger than he looks, bounces through tackles and makes an impression on the breakdown.

Tom Youngs - Hooker - former England under 20 inside centre was convinced to change position and has done his time in the Championship at Nottingham. Fiesty, big ball carrier with good hands, questions over his line out skills to be answered but a very dynamic option.

Also worth seeing whether Harrison a young scrummy with a bullet pass and utility back Andy Forsyth (Tigers A top try scorer last season) make an impression as well next season though both are currently facing lots of competition for their position.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:17 pm

Are you sure that Tom Youngs isnt Welsh???

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

Turkster wrote:Scott Williams should become a regular starter at the Scarlets.

I agree Regan King is gone and this kid will step into his shoes.

For the Ospreys well... Dirksen and King would be likely.
Don't be suprised to see Matthew Morgan a lot at the Liberty, though probably not at away games. Because Biggar got booed off the field against Russia today, there are large elements of the Ospreys support that seem determined to hound him out of the region. Tumbleweed
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

williams and davies a good mix or too similar like roberts and davies for wales?

I like the look of williams and think hell be a big force for the region and so will owens at hooker

the booing of biggar was a disgrace, morgan is a talent but still needs a lot of work on his game

dirksen to make a starting position his own and webb to get in the welsh squad

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm

To add to the Munster ones, I would say Simon Zebo and Peter O'Mahoney. Zebo is a winger, who might not have top end speed but has a fantastic all round game and works well in tight areas with a cultured left boot to add in. O'Mahoney is a back rower who has struggled with injury in the last two years. I would call him a footballing back rower who is also a natural leader.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

how good is this young munster 9 mate? ready to be first choice next year?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:06 am

He's good JB. Like to see him over a whole season but he seems like he could really do a job for Ireland at scrum half.

He's tall and has been compared to Philips because of that but that's where I think the comparison ends. His delivery is very good and he's a fine decision maker plus he also kicks goals so can kick well in field as well.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 22 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Tom Armes - Openside - ball carrying backrower, much stronger than he looks, bounces through tackles and makes an impression on the breakdown.

Tom Youngs - Hooker - former England under 20 inside centre was convinced to change position and has done his time in the Championship at Nottingham. Fiesty, big ball carrier with good hands, questions over his line out skills to be answered but a very dynamic option.

Also worth seeing whether Harrison a young scrummy with a bullet pass and utility back Andy Forsyth (Tigers A top try scorer last season) make an impression as well next season though both are currently facing lots of competition for their position.

Sam, isn't it fairly clear that Cockerill doesn't rate Armes? Even Twelvetrees has had plenty of opportunities compared to him. And I'm not sure I'd expect Youngs to get much time at Hooker either. Very few Leicester players progress from the successful A side, and given the number of OCs at the club, and the way Cockerill seemed to avoid playing Harrison last season despite Grindal's obvious limitations I can't see Forsyth or Harrison breaking through. The only new young players I'd expect to get game time are those who've been signed this summer and possibly George Ford.

In general Tigers seem to have issues identifying talented young players (look at the age group representation, or lack of it, recently), and cultural issues in terms of willingness to play young players from the academy, and I'd expect no AP side over the next 5 years to promote fewer young players from the academy to the first team.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

Are you sure that Tom Youngs isnt Welsh???.

Well seeing as his dad was England international Nick Youngs and his brother is England international Ben Youngs I think it's safe to say he's English.

Sam, isn't it fairly clear that Cockerill doesn't rate Armes?

Not according to his pre season interview where he went on the record as saying that he has been mightily impressed by Armes and Nottingham trialist Tim Streather.

And I'm not sure I'd expect Youngs to get much time at Hooker either

Played against Montpellier and will probabely see some action, not as much as if Chuter had gone away with England but he'll get opportunities.

Harrison and Forsyth might well find it difficult to get into the team but they are both young talents and given that Cockerill is known for throwing his support behind a player the minute he feels they deserve it there's always a chance. Ford has been pretty much given the 10 shirt ahead of the season with Twelvetrees to play at 13 and take on the kicking duties. Cockerill asked them at the start of pre season to lay down a marker and if he feels they've done that then they'll get a chance. He's a bit old school in his thinking, he won't give a Tigers shirt to a young player just to test them he thinks they need to earn it by hard graft because otherwise they won't respect it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

For Quins:

Chris York- Quick and powerful no8 who is currently behind Guest and Easter. Very good around the park and knows how to find the try line.

Ross Chisholm- One of our many backs who can play almost anywhere. Played well for us in the 7's and looks like an exciting prospect.

Sam Smith- Deadly winger for us when not injured, he is absolutely lethal if given an inch and this will be his season to show it (fingers crossed). Also played for my local club when he was 13 and even then embarrassed most of us. Scored 7 tries in 6 games last season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

A couple for Bath:

Guy Mercer- a 'classic' seven, after some LV appearances last year I would hope he kicks on and gives Moody a real fight for the starting shirt after the WC

Ben Williams- A big ball carrying centre, announced his arrival at the end of last season with a couple of tries, will probably be reserve to Hipkiss though.

Nathan Catt- Has already played for the Saxons, so not exactly unknown, but he is a very able young prop and has been brought in slowly, which can only be good for his long term development.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by thewaspsblog Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

A couple for Wasps who played in the U20 WC for England:

Joe Launchbury - dynamic big second row and man of the U20s tournament, has showed real maturity the games he has played so far, hoping he can learn from Wentzel and Filipo

Elliot Daly - the next England star, plays at outside centre and lit up the Wasps team last season including a thunderous hit on now team-mate Steve Thompson, please coaching staff don't put him at 15 like vs Bath

Christian Wade - winger will get his chance now Lemi has gone, pace, power and tackling has it all having gained experience on 7s circuit with England

thewaspsblog

http://www.thewaspsblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

I thought Wade's tackling was pretty appalling at times. In some of the 7's games I watched it was basically non existant.

He is mesmerical in attack though, give him a few feet to work in and he does crazy stuff.

Daly looks like a real prospect for the future. Just thinking about a Twelvetrees & Daly centre pairing for the 2015 WC could be amazing. That hit on Thompson was immense!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

For the Scarlets I think S Williams (obviously), Shingler, Lawerence at Hooker, I expect Gardiner to push on and maybe become 1st choice TH and I'm quite excited by G Davies at SH

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Rhodri Williams (i think it was Williams) looked really good in the pre-season friendly for the Scarlets at scrum half. I wouldn't be too suprised if he gets a far amount of game time during (and possibly after ) the RWC. Also Lee Rees looked very sharp even though he is two foot tall.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

jb1973 wrote:williams and davies a good mix or too similar like roberts and davies for wales?

From what I have seen of Williams in the Scarlets jersey he looked very good, and more of a classy centre than a smash merc. Pretty much like Foxy did when he came onto the scene. That said I will reserve judgement of them as a partnership until I have seen them together for a few games on the trot (during the RWC?)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

They looked quite good the few times they played together at the end of last season, but this season is going to be interesting - I see Maule getting better as well so should be some good competition at centre.

I like Rhodri Jones (the prop) and Nic Reynolds looks good, but think maybe next season will be their time to shine.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon 22 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

[quote="Irish Curry"]Well for munster Conor Murray, Felix Jones, Danny Barnes and our other young scrum half who's name I can never remember Rolling Eyes mad [/quote]

Just saw it in one of red stags posts his name in Duncun Williams Doh
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:00 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
Turkster wrote:Scott Williams should become a regular starter at the Scarlets.

I agree Regan King is gone and this kid will step into his shoes.

For the Ospreys well... Dirksen and King would be likely.
Don't be suprised to see Matthew Morgan a lot at the Liberty, though probably not at away games. Because Biggar got booed off the field against Russia today, there are large elements of the Ospreys support that seem determined to hound him out of the region. Tumbleweed
Did you mean Swansea? laughing

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:For the Scarlets I think S Williams (obviously), Shingler, Lawerence at Hooker, I expect Gardiner to push on and maybe become 1st choice TH and I'm quite excited by G Davies at SH

Rhys Lawrence left in the summer for Bristol, shame as he was a really good player, but I think he saw there were 3 in front of him and Kirby Myhill closing fast.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Sam, isn't it fairly clear that Cockerill doesn't rate Armes?

Not according to his pre season interview where he went on the record as saying that he has been mightily impressed by Armes and Nottingham trialist Tim Streather.

Harrison and Forsyth might well find it difficult to get into the team but they are both young talents and given that Cockerill is known for throwing his support behind a player the minute he feels they deserve it there's always a chance. Ford has been pretty much given the 10 shirt ahead of the season with Twelvetrees to play at 13 and take on the kicking duties. Cockerill asked them at the start of pre season to lay down a marker and if he feels they've done that then they'll get a chance. He's a bit old school in his thinking, he won't give a Tigers shirt to a young player just to test them he thinks they need to earn it by hard graft because otherwise they won't respect it.

Well you've been bigging up Armes for a while, so I'll be interested to see him. The fact you've just signed a specialist open side, and have Woods as well doesn't necessary bode well, but Cockerill talking him up is a positive sign.

It's interesting you think he'll go with Ford. I have to say I think that would actually be a massive risk - he's not a man who's ever going to stop anyone on the gainline and I'd have thought he'd be heavily targetted at this stage of his career.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the philosophy you believe Cockerill has, but you do need a chance to show that you are worth the shirt. There can't be many AP coaches who would have gone with Staunton and Grindal on so many occasions instead of Twelvetrees and Harrison. He needs to be careful he doesn't give the impression that there is no point in going to Tigers if you are an ambitious young player.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

It's interesting you think he'll go with Ford. I have to say I think that would actually be a massive risk - he's not a man who's ever going to stop anyone on the gainline and I'd have thought he'd be heavily targetted at this stage of his career.

Staunton has an achillies problem and Smith hasn't taken part in a game so far. Kind of dictates the midfield for Cockerill. Ford had a brilliant game against Lyon on Saturday as did MOTM Salvi who we do need what with Newby missing the majority of the season and the news that Crane will miss all of it. Armes is a young bloke and like Smith and Cole before him has been apprenticed out to the Championship to make sure he's got a solid foundation before returning to the first team. I'm looking forward to seeing him given an opportunity.

He needs to be careful he doesn't give the impression that there is no point in going to Tigers if you are an ambitious young player

There is that concern, a little more experimentation would be nice. He does give the LV Cup almost entirely to the academy/A Team in order to give them a taster but he knows that should neither the AP or HEC trophy be found at Tigers come the end of the season he'll be under pressure.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm

[quote="formerly known as Sam"]

There is that concern, a little more experimentation would be nice. He does give the LV Cup almost entirely to the academy/A Team in order to give them a taster but he knows that should neither the AP or HEC trophy be found at Tigers come the end of the season he'll be under pressure.

Sam, do you think another season without silverware would see Cockerill removed? Or is his place pretty secure?

It seems to me that he's doing a very good job of bringing Leicester out from a previous exceptional era with players such as greenwood, Johnson, Back and Healey and moving on to a new team of youngsters with a lot of potential who play awider game. There's been a fair few teething problems along the way but he seems on the right course.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

He's doing okay, 2 and half seasons of playing time in charge and 4 finals with 2 trophies isn't a bad showing. A much more enjoyable style of rugby is being played, although, the tactically astute and savvy nature of Tigers seemed to not be quite as apparent last season comapred to previous years. Salvi has come in to bring some added dog to the breakdown which should help and if George Ford can step up then Tigers will gain a fly half who really can control the territory magnificently.

Any Tigers DOR who doesn't win trophies will be under pressure but whilst he maintains the confidence of the squad then he should be still in a job. If he loses the dressing room then the will be in trouble. Loffreda found out that failure on the pitch is one thing but failing to unite the dressing room is a death sentence.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

Glaws' youngsters to watch are already known to a certain extent. This season will be huge for Freddie Burns as he's been given the starting 10 spot.

Johnny May, who is faster than Sharples, should get a decent amount of game time this season and make an impact. If Dave Lewis still counts as a youngster (22), I'm expecting a big season from him too. He is back to full fitness and I can see him back to his best when he kept Rory Lawson and Gareth Cooper out of the side.

Koree Britton and Ryan Mills, both ex-U20 players, look very promising, but I feel it is a season too soon for them.

From different clubs, I've heard very good things about Sam Jones at Wasps. Hopefully Tom Casson at Quins get's a decent run out as he is another very promising player.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

Turkster wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:For the Scarlets I think S Williams (obviously), Shingler, Lawerence at Hooker, I expect Gardiner to push on and maybe become 1st choice TH and I'm quite excited by G Davies at SH

Rhys Lawrence left in the summer for Bristol, shame as he was a really good player, but I think he saw there were 3 in front of him and Kirby Myhill closing fast.

Ahh of course, not sure how I forgot that.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

Leinster

O'Malley-
Plays 13 or 12. Has exceptional feet and great acceleration. For such a small guy his defense is very good and he has good hands. Is really good at breaking the line, he shapes to gas people on the outside then cuts back in.

Ryan-
Plays 6 or 7. When Jennings retires he will automatically slip in at 7. Good ball skills and quick. An animal in the tackle and not bad on the floor or in link play either. I expect many Irish caps.

Hagan-
Prop coming back from Connacht. Can understudy to Mike Ross. Good scrummager and is pretty tidy in the loose also. Is a strong lineout lifter too and with added work with Greg Feek I expect big things from the lad.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:13 am

pete has the prop stewart maguire gone to connaught on loan this season? or has he moved permanently?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

It's permanent, there is no loan system in Ireland.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

Zebo is one to watch for Munster. He has decent pace but a great brain and a great kicking game too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

ok greybeard but is it likely that hes signed to gain experience and iwll most likely return to a bigger province? or has he just not made the drade at leinster?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

GavinDragon wrote:ok greybeard but is it likely that hes signed to gain experience and iwll most likely return to a bigger province? or has he just not made the drade at leinster?

Oh he'll definitely move on once he's ready but there's no guarantee that when he leaves Connacht that he'll return to Leinster. Keatley left Leinster for Connacht and is now with Munster, similarly Cronin left Munster for Connacht and is now with Leinster. We hold no rights on Maguire and can't enforce that he returns to Leinster when his Connact contract is finished. But that's pro sport, same for everyone.

I wouldn't say he has or hasn't made the grade at Leinster, though, it's too early in his career to say anything to be honest.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

righto cheers for the info OK

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

For me, Mike Poole at the Dragons is one to watch. A former cage fighter who plays wing, he scored something like 47 tries in 102 appearances for Newport RFC. He was given a regional contract last season but got injured playing 7s for crawshays. A big lump of a man, he was both physical and bruising but with the ability to offload and take a player on for pace against Russia last week. Didn't see him last night against Leeds but apparently he impressed. He's not young at around 26/27, but he's been around the block and is being rewarded for his form. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running, and already looks to be a crowd favourite at Rodney Parade.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

yea the reports i had said he put himself about a bit again last night, aso adam jones did well again

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:40 pm

Newcastle-

Catterick (Full Back) one to watch IF he gets gametime over all these foreign journeymen jo's!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Young Matt Scott who was playing SO for Currie last year but seems to be playing in the centre for Edinburgh seems to have possibilities. And with Rob Moffat away, perhaps we will get more logical team selections this year e.g. who is playing well, plays regularly.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 25 Aug 2011, 8:55 am

ok, so its early, I'm in a moaning mood.... so here goes.

I simply cannot stand these threads. BECAUSE, the title says 'ONE to watch', but you could scroll down the page and wonder if the question was simply 'Name ALL your teams young players'

COME ON FOLKS, SWITCH YOUIR BRAINS ON.

I wouldn't mind knowing a few names to keep an eye on this season, but I'm not going to get a few key names from most of the above posters.

P.S.
Luke Marshall, Inside Center, Ulster

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:56 am

Okedoke Clive

O'Malley-
Plays 13 or 12. Has exceptional feet and great acceleration. For such a small guy his defense is very good and he has good hands. Is really good at breaking the line, he shapes to gas people on the outside then cuts back in.

I see him as O'Driscolls replacement and will make a very dynamic midfield with Sexton and McFadden.

I think mcFadden will break into the 12 jersey pretty early in the season and keep it and I think O'Malley will benefit from BOD being at the RWC, being saved for big HCup games and therefore will get a lot more game time this season.

Also for such a big squad at Leinster there aren't many who can play 13 well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

Leeds - Curtis Wilson / Left Wing
Looks a real quality player
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 25 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

Agree with Mike Poole at the Dragons, and I think Pewtner could maybe step up this season.

Also Jevon Groves, big athletic back row with great hands and pace. Has captained the 7s squad.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next