The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus v NZ Tri Nations Decider

+11
Biltong
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
HURLEY_BURLEY
nottins_jones
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
Full Credit
boomeranga
majesticimperialman
B91212
Rob B
15 posters

Go down

Aus v NZ Tri Nations Decider Empty Aus v NZ Tri Nations Decider

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:37 am

Wallabies team:

Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu.
James Horwill, Dan Vickerman,
David Pocock, Rocky Elsom, Radike Samo,
Quade Cooper, Will Genia;
Pat McCabe, Anthony Fainga'a,
Adam Ashley-Cooper, Digby Ioane, Kurtley Beale.

Res: Saia Fainga'a, Salesi Ma'afu, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Burgess, one TBA.

Samo in for Higginbotham
Vickerman in for Sharpe
Faingaa at 13; AAC on the wing; O'Connor out

While they will miss O'Connor, it is great that A Faingaa gets a start on his home ground. 9 Reds players in the 22. First time we get to take a good look at how Vickerman is measuring up - will be a huge ask for him.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Aus v NZ Tri Nations Decider Empty Re: Aus v NZ Tri Nations Decider

Post by B91212 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:03 am

Pretty solid looking back line by Australia's standards, England get crucified for playing 2 solid centers like that, especially with AAC on the wing! Surprised Elsom keeps his place and Higginbotham didn't move to his prefered position of 6, especially with Elson loosing the captaincy last week. Also what has Deans got against Sharpe? Always looks solid and runs the lineout well. Never seen anything from Vickerman to suggest he's anything other than run of the mill (or Simmons).

Yet to see McCalman look international class yet he is always there or there abouts in the 22.

Last edited by B91212 on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Crap English)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:18 am

So, If NZ win this game then they win the Trinations, right, but if they lose this game does it then become a 3 way fight? or can Aus sneek the win?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:23 am

The winner wins the tournament as both on nine points. Draw would mean a win for NZ.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:39 am

Should be a cracker. I can't see Vickerman getting a full game, maybe 50-60mins if that. Hopefully the same goes for Elsom and we can see super-sub Scotty Higginbotham come on and do some more chip kicks over the wingers heads and twinkletoes it down the sideline.

Looking for a big game from Pocock this time, he's been uncharacteristically quite lately. Someone has to put pressure on Carter to cut down his time cause if he's allowed to play how he did the last outing the game's as good as gone. QC needs to pick his times to be showy and the rest of the time play some percentage footy (if that's possible for him). With Vickerman and Samo starting the pack looks like it's got a bit more starch about it which will hopefully take a bit of pressure off Genia.

Aus really have to win this one to put any doubt in the kiwi's minds pre WC. If we can't beat them at the cauldron then there's not much chance of it happening at Eden Park.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:44 am

Fitting outcome given SAs failure to front 2 away matches. abs luckily could use one to determine key world cup postions so all in all the 3N teams have got a lot out of this.
Suncorp provides a virtual rematch of the sxv final though stakes are higher.
Motivation will be equal and both teams have rested nicely for this with the key ab players in SA needing a run anyway.
Hats off to oz fronting all matches with first sides but possibly a necessity after samoa to regain some positioning in the scheme of things.
SA can fully prepare knowing they can defend their title so regardless of who wins this 3N has been positive for all 3.
Hopefully we can all siy back and watch a great game of footy this weekend.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:46 am

i'm very surprised that Sharpe wasn't given another run on.

Guys there's still plenty of life left in this tri nations.. oh. and it looks like another good weekends turn over for the Caxton...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

Will New Zealand have the same squad that travelled to South Africa for this match or will some of the rested players be coming back in?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

What time is K.O for this one lads??

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

As I understand it the kiwi's should be full strength.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

Kick off's at 8pm Brissy time.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

nottins_jones wrote:Will New Zealand have the same squad that travelled to South Africa for this match or will some of the rested players be coming back in?

Rested players will be back in. The guys who went to SA who didn't make the RWC squad (Messam etc) got to fly straight home Sunday while the rest went to Brisbane to be joined by the squad members who missed Port Elizabeth. Amazingly the only leak was Corey Jane tweeting about "getting on the plane to Brisbane" - and since he's known for joking around on Twitter no-one was sure if he was serious.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

Thanks for the info!
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Not too sure what to think here, Australia at home, last chance to get some confidence against New Zealand.

Henry will want to win this one, will most likely put his best run on team together.

Spit in one hand, and S...t in the other, which one is heavier?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

I think the great rugby story here is Radike Samo. Selected for his first run on test for 7 years, age 35. Probably thought he played his last test in 2004 and went overseas. He was looking to come back start of last year but no Super Rugby franchise had any interest - he was too old. Except Ewan McKenzie at the Reds thought he would be a good fill in for the injured Horwill last year. We can thank McKenzie for giving him a go - in the same same vein as he gave Beau Robinson a go - probably why McKenzie will be the next W coach with that sort of foresight. I reckon he will get 50 mins or so then subbed - but that 50 should be great to watch.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Yes I'm very happy for 'The 'Fro' as well. He seems to have a bit of on field presence which is what we need unlike that pedestrian McCalman. If we can hold our end up in the scrum there could be some Reds magic from the 8,9,10 combo, and look out for the one-handed pickups.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Didnt know that about samo.
Initial thoughts are at 35 in his first test since 2004 against an ab pack in a 3N final doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence either with the player in terms of both physical amd mental pressure on the day or in terms of oz options at scrumtime.
But good luck to him. Only special players get to make those kinds of comebacks.
Have to admit id never heard of him prior to last two weeks.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Are you a Reds fan, FC?

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

Taylorman wrote:Didnt know that about samo.
Initial thoughts are at 35 in his first test since 2004 against an ab pack in a 3N final doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence either with the player in terms of both physical amd mental pressure on the day or in terms of oz options at scrumtime.
But good luck to him. Only special players get to make those kinds of comebacks.
Taylorman, are you in NZ at the mo? what time is it there 4am??

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

Rob B wrote:Are you a Reds fan, FC?

yeah mate, a long suffering one!

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:04 pm

Yeah, me too. Have been following them since the glory days of the 70s and 80s.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm

Taylorman wrote:Didnt know that about samo.

Deans said today that it is certainly a trial game for him, however he has the chance. Samo is a very big guy and very physical and I think this year Deans has decided he wants a bigger pack than normal for RWC. Looking for harder combinations than Eden Park. His ball handling is a weakness. He went well for the Reds in all their big games this year and went well against SA as a sub. Big step up this week.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

80's onwards for me. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days after the Super final. Hopefully, it should still be pretty fresh in the Reds boys minds and with that vocal Bris crowd it might be enough to get us over the line.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

Would love to see the crowd break into "We are Red!!, We are Red!!..."

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:24 pm

Yep rob 4am. Start work at 5.00 sometimes but log in here on smartfone any old time when im awake.
Cracker this week with both teams having learned a lot about themselves and eachother last few weeks.
All cards on table this time. Magic finish to the pre wcup start dont ya think?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:44 pm

Wor - that's early...

Agree no one could write a better script to be honest. I mean great to see a serious game with all these "friendlies" happening. There'll be no petrol in the tank come full time. Pity about O'Connor but I am excited about A Faingaa starting - will be great to see how how he goes. If well then he might just force AAC out when O'Connor comes back - somewhat ironic.

Deans is taking some risks with Vickerman, Samo and Faingaa in the one game I think.

I am getting a sense of groundhog day notwithstanding - not sure I can wait much longer than 10 years for a 3N title! Should be a very passionate game.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:07 am

1 more year Rob B! Whistle
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

nganboy wrote:1 more year Rob B! Whistle

That's what a lot of you said about the Reds v Crusaders as well as I recall.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:21 am

This is great, the RWC starts here. NZ must win. To lose such a crucial game so close to RWC unthinkable.
If Aus win I think they may be hard to beat at RWC...almost guaranteed a top place in their group they will probably face Wales or possibly Fiji in the quarters then England or France in a semi. Likely finalists in my opinion versus NZ or SA.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:29 am

Before anyone starts bragging,last year we had the Bulls as Superchamps,what happened to the Boks?
Both sides want the 3Ns,likely side has Thomson at 6,as Kaino is awaiting his child at home.weepu at scrum half.Owen Franks.and Whitelock starting.
SBW is apparently fasting for Ramadan and may miss the cut.
Genia had a major bang yesterday,and several stitches who knows how that will affect his play.Concussion used to be at least a week off.
Will you miss O`Connor both as goalkicker,and Player,one things for sure if Afoa comes on good bye AB scrum.Ben Franks is a far better option he at least can scrummage.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:41 am

Why,All Blacks won the 3Ns comfortably in 2003,and 2007 for all the good it did them in the RWC,
OZ at home always a good bet,BUT AB`s have won the last 3 at Brisbane,and Super form means nothing in 3Ns.
If they lose the 3Ns they deserve it,they threw it away fielding a scratch side versus the Boks.
AS to the RWC,Aus and the Boks are ALWAYS favourites,in RWCs funny things happen.Ireland may just win that group,and France look like there beginning to fire again.
As for me you can stick the RWC where the sun don`t shine i`m sick of every 4years going thru the ritual of weak sides,posturing,and hiding players in the name of a trophy.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:57 am

Cooper funnily enough isnt as confident either. Well. Hes not the usual pre eden park cooper we've all learnt to love.
With all the hype around these young guns focussing this week might be a little tricky.
Not the best for deanos prep having to do a side of babysitting with oconnor on the naughty seat for the game.
Oh well. Live and learn i suppose.
Lets hope they dont let it get to them on the day.
Better to happen now i suppose.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

Genia took another knock at training today. Talk on the Rugby Club of him being 50/50 for Saturday.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

Bad news but gives us a chance to prep others.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:15 am

W fielding a fairly decent forward pack - encouraging that TPN, Slipper and Palu still to come back to a scrum has gone well in every test this year. With Alexander continuing as tight head before Slipper comes back, I expect ABs will gradually win the scrum contest - but it will not be a point of difference for the game.
O'Connor's absence is a genuine blow as he is dangerous in the mid field and W will not be as potent there. Expect a much better defensive effort.
At 0-17 after 20m the last game was over - and AB had the bounce of the ball and rub of the green all game - they often do against W which is commone when teams are winning.
Anticipating a tight and brutal game - let's hope all players get through it.

Great to see a real test match in RWC lead up - a rarity with all the player hiding and resting nonsense that has been going on.

Expect a big game from Elsom - that could be the point of difference.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:50 am

I'm with you Rob... the buildup to this has been, well, as diverse as it has been as interesting. We certainly will have no excuses if we lose it and I honestly believe our chances of winning the Wcup would be enhanced more if we lost this match terribly.

We make shocking Wcup faves and losing this provides the type of motivation we just cannot conjure up no matter how hard we were to try. We normally bounce back bigger and better after a bad loss but last weeks loss doesnt feel like a 'bad' one purely due to the circs- this one will!

JOC's loss is huge I reckon. Even at Eden Park missing those kicks he still got around like a rat in midfield...

Can't wait...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:02 am

And surely Genia has to be rested...two big hits in the same week requiring medical attention? One hit he couldnt even remember...

Its not as if the AB's are going to tread lightly around him now is it?

Sensible thinking says don't play him. Mucking around with head knocks isn't part of the game. And I say that regardless of which team he's from.

Aint worth the risk...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:05 am

Rob B wrote:
nganboy wrote:1 more year Rob B! Whistle

That's what a lot of you said about the Reds v Crusaders as well as I recall.

I didn't though. Some got a bit excited after beating the Stormers but really it was a massive ask.
Also the difference is the ABs have the Bledisloe and TriNations. The Crusaders were not and have not won the Super for a few years.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:21 am

(Plus we've never lost at Suncorp...) oops...just jinxed it... Doh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:31 am

Taylorman wrote:(Plus we've never lost at Suncorp...) oops...just jinxed it... Doh
That sounds so much more impressive than 'we've won there twice and on both occasions by 4 points'. Wink

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:52 am

Heavy rain forecast in Brisbane on Saturday and through Sat night.

Battle in the forwards - might come down to the 10s tactical kicking - ouch.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:30 am

On a side note, I see the Australian Baabaa's V Canada game is going to be streamed live on FoxSport.com.au Friday night. I'm keen to see how Drew Mitchell performs.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:03 am

Full Credit wrote:
Taylorman wrote:(Plus we've never lost at Suncorp...) oops...just jinxed it... Doh
That sounds so much more impressive than 'we've won there twice and on both occasions by 4 points'. Wink

True and not much better when you add the when it was lang park 7 pointer to make it 3.

Mind you. World cups have been won by less.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:59 am

When the All Blacks play wet weather rugby they tend to keep ball in hand.
They also tend to play wet weather rugby better than most.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

Nz generally do better than most in the dry as well but certainly more will be removed from the oz game if its wet.
That combined with joc missing in midfield, the presence of smith and nonu, oz dont look as strong as perhaps they might.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down