The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat

+17
Joshsmith
coxy0001
Michaels, Sean
wheelchair1991
bhb001
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
BALTIMORA
captain carrantuohil
Daz
Seanusarrilius
The Galveston Giant
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
Valero's Conscience
21 posters

Go down

Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat Empty Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

A memorable mention to Carl Thompson's win over Sebastian Rothman.

Round 9 and Rothman was battering Thompson and towards the end was smirking and showboating with the ref close to stopping the fight. Thompson with less than 20 seconds to go unleashes a ferocious right hand that stops Rothman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUaVTXyjQbs

Any other examples of dramatic turnarounds which maybe don't get as much attention as they deserve?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat Empty Re: Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

We should remember that Thompson against Haye was a big turn around, albeit halfway through the fight, after he was battered from pillar to post until Haye began to gas. Showed an awesome chin during that fight did Thompson.

Audley vs Sprott? Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat Empty Re: Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

I was behind on all 3 cards on fight night round 4. Round 12 came and after a total domination I stopped Ali with La Motta. Great turnaround and one of the proudest moments of my life.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

Thompson only needed one punch to change a fight, must be hard for some boxers going into a fight knowing that they will have to take a beating for most of the night, just in the hope of landing the knockout blow.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

froch v taylor obvously and foreman moorer

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

Mosley vs Mayorga - KO at 2.59 seconds of R12 when he was down on the cards.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham although i think this one does get the attention it deserves.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

The ultimate example would be LaMotta-Dauthuille. The Frenchman only had to stand up to win a landslide decision and take Jake's title, but was stopped with something like 15 seconds to go.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

Dazstarr wrote:Mosley vs Mayorga - KO at 2.59 seconds of R12 when he was down on the cards.

Mosley was up on the cards.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:Mosley vs Mayorga - KO at 2.59 seconds of R12 when he was down on the cards.

Really? I had him down but then again I didnt check the official cards.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

I was going to mention that one too Captain....great example..

I think John David Jackson was pitching a shutout against Castro when he got devastated by a shot...

Think marciano needed a ko to beat Jersey.....

Weaver took Tate out in the last minute to steal the title.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

I'll venture another one then - Harrison/Sprott.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

Castro-Jackson was one of the most ridiculous fights I've ever seen, truss. Quite unearthly, and a fine example of the victory from the jaws of defeat genre. Weaver-Tate another terrific shout and a terrific punch it was too.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Yeah, Mosley was up on two of the three. I didn't realise that either until I was bored one day at work and checking stats. It was still a hell of a stoppage though. Great example of not giving up from Mosley. He literally leapt across to Mayorga and flattened him.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Defeat from the jaws of victory is a good description.....

Felt sorry for Graham........Thought he blew it against Mccallum and as for Jackson what a dildo.......

Think some people are just there own worst enemies..

Thought Graham was better than Brewer, Eubank, Benn, Watson, Kalambay, Mccallum and Jackson talent wise..

shocking waste of talent.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Carlos Palomino did it a few times. Even on the cards against Armando Muniz before roaring bak to stop him in the fifteenth and final round (which he'd been losing until that point), and then had a world of trouble against our own Dave 'Boy' Green before finding the perfect left hook to finish the fight in the eleventh. Lovely technician, was Palomino.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

One thunderous uppercut from Larry Holmes turned the Mike Weaver fight on its head and rescued a lost cause, though I believe it took Larry until the next round to actually close the show.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

palomino never did anything for me..always seemed a bit ordinary...

But his records show he was effective....so you're probably right..

Didn't see a lovely technician though...

We all see different things in everybody...I used to see something in my Wife Hug

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

Although not a knockout have to mention the 2nd fight between Saldivar and Winstone which he was losing quite decisively before upping the tempo in the last 3 rounds and floored Winstone numerous times.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Haye vs Harrison, as Harrison said he had Haye just where he wanted him then the B*&^%?$£ hit him. Damn unsporting!! And we all know how grounded in reality Harrison is!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

I think Palomino was a very fine technician personally, Truss, although not a particularly thrilling fighter outside of those two titanic tussles with Muniz.

Perhaps Smith-Bruno is worth consideration. Big Frank only had to survive that last round after building up a good lead, but Smith caught him with a Hail Mary of a left hook, followed it up with a barrage and left Bruno on the deck, where he stayed for the duration of the ten count.

How about the first leg of the Harding-Andries series? The Australian looked down and out before pulling it out of the bag in that final round.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Harding and Bonecrusher are great examples.........

Barkley-Hearns may be of consideration to some..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Yeah, Mosley was up on two of the three. I didn't realise that either until I was bored one day at work and checking stats. It was still a hell of a stoppage though. Great example of not giving up from Mosley. He literally leapt across to Mayorga and flattened him.

Yeah I was shocked at how poorly Mosley was performing and then all of a sudden like you said leapt across the ring with a great combination. I was made up!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

alma wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:I'll venture another one then - Harrison/Sprott.

That was the punch that convinced some misguided fools that Harrison had the tools to beat Haye. Watching the fight again though and Harrison telegraphs the punch really. Haye would have got out of the way pretty easily.

Still dramatic though and saved Harrison's career, albeit temporarily......

Haha! So true Alma.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

Didn't Leonard stop Hearns while behind on the cards?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

Jumbo Cummings with Bruno, or was that more Bruno snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

harrison sprott was the one that sticks in my mind its easy to forget how poor audley was in that fight

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Corrales against Castillo. Down twice and all but gone then lands a killer punch from nowhere.

Eubank against Watson in the rematch?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

An overlooked one is Whitaker vs Hurtado

Whitaker vs DLH was already being touted and Whitaker was expected to beat his supposedly lesser foe who amounted to journeyman status. What they didn't expect was Whitaker to be down on all 3 cards coming into the 11th, at which point he stopped Hurtado. From memory Oscar was providing commentary on the fight and was bricking it as his big payday was going down the proverbial creek.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

As sad as the fight ended Eubank V Watson 2nd fight was a classic.. Eubank was on his way out and heading for defeat, his reply showed what a heart he had.. Good to see Watson back and with us again.. Maybe Truss who was asking about paraplegic fighting would like to see Watson back in the ring...
An apology is in order from this forum for letting such a sick post and poster get away with such an article..

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Joshsmith wrote:As sad as the fight ended Eubank V Watson 2nd fight was a classic.. Eubank was on his way out and heading for defeat, his reply showed what a heart he had.. Good to see Watson back and with us again.. Maybe Truss who was asking about paraplegic fighting would like to see Watson back in the ring...
An apology is in order from this forum for letting such a sick post and poster get away with such an article..

I'm not sure where you get off on making such a bizarre accusation. Truss made a valid point. Personally I think you're WAY off the mark in demanding an apology.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:49 pm

Is it me or has the post been removed?????
And you think I am WAY off the mark???
So would you like to see Watson return to the ring???

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

Joshsmith wrote:Is it me or has the post been removed?????

No-one but you mentioned Watson. What's wrong with one-legged boxers competing? I assume from your comments you also think physically handicapped athletes shouldn't be able to compete in ANY Olympic event? Watson suffered brain damage during a fight. That's significantly different to having a completely healthy amputee taking up boxing. If someone wants to prove themselves, who are you to call it sick?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Defeat from the jaws of victory is a good description.....

Felt sorry for Graham........Thought he blew it against Mccallum and as for Jackson what a dildo.......

Thought Graham was better than Brewer, Eubank, Benn, Watson, Kalambay, Mccallum and Jackson talent wise..

Fully agree Truss, I know that I'm probably alone with this opinion (with the possible exception of Mark Kaylor), but I thought that Herol, with his head in the right place, would have even licked Haglar.When 'the gift" as he used to call it was fully functioning Herol could box like a dream, his dismantling of the much heralded Rod Douglas was as gracefully and complete as boxing can be- fighting elevated to art. How much fact that it left Douglas in hospital with bleeding on the brain affected Herol is hard to say, but for me that was his last great performance. When boxing like that he would have made Eubank look dreadful, and Benn too would have been out classed. He was no way near his best against McCallum, and had he not been docked a point for wrestling the fight would have been a draw.
With regard to snatching defeat from victory, Chavez left it as late as you can get stop Taylor.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Joshsmith wrote:Is it me or has the post been removed?????

No-one but you mentioned Watson. What's wrong with one-legged boxers competing? I assume from your comments you also think physically handicapped athletes shouldn't be able to compete in ANY Olympic event? Watson suffered brain damage during a fight. That's significantly different to having a completely healthy amputee taking up boxing. If someone wants to prove themselves, who are you to call it sick?

I think there was a onelegged cruiser or light heavyweight a few years back- american pole perhaps? If I remember rightly his mobilty in the ring was unsurprisingly poor, and many people questioned the wisdom of letting him fight.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:18 am

Danny Williams vs Mark Potter is a good one. Williams' right arm had actually dislocated and was flapping uselessly, he was behind on the scorecards, but still he managed to bravely continue and won with an enormous left late in the round. https://youtu.be/QY1jzjTjIhY

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham although i think this one does get the attention it deserves.

I think this is less a case of Jackson snatching victory from the jaws of defeat than it is Graham snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Why drop your guard against a murderous puncher when you're beating him that badly?

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham although i think this one does get the attention it deserves.

I think this is less a case of Jackson snatching victory from the jaws of defeat than it is Graham snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Why drop your guard against a murderous puncher when you're beating him that badly?

Repeat 100 times "I must read the whole thread before posting, I must read the whole thread before posting..."

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

horizontalhero wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Defeat from the jaws of victory is a good description.....

Fully agree Truss, I know that I'm probably alone with this opinion (with the possible exception of Mark Kaylor), but I thought that Herol, with his head in the right place, would have even licked Haglar.When 'the gift" as he used to call it was fully functioning Herol could box like a dream, his dismantling of the much heralded Rod Douglas was as gracefully and complete as boxing can be- fighting elevated to art. How much fact that it left Douglas in hospital with bleeding on the brain affected Herol is hard to say, but for me that was his last great performance. When boxing like that he would have made Eubank look dreadful, and Benn too would have been out classed. He was no way near his best against McCallum, and had he not been docked a point for wrestling the fight would have been a draw.

Graham beat the untested Douglas after already being exposed by Kalambay and McCallum. Many Ingle fighters have looked stallar against mediocre opposition.

The fight against McCallum would have been a draw were it not for the point deduction, which would have been robbery of the decade. All three judges gave the home fighter a couple more points than he deserved.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

As I said Ididn't except many people to agree with me, But Herol had split from Ingle for the Kalamby fight, and the trainer Barney Eastwood supplied tried to turn him into something me was not, and if you call a razor thin decision loss a being exposed, well, that's your call. Douglas was untested, but was the british champ, and was highly rated by many at the time. Still maintain he was a class above the likes of Benn and Eubank

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down