The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defeat from the jaws of victory

+5
drive4show
Doon the Water
super_realist
Maverick
Mercurio
9 posters

Go down

Defeat from the jaws of victory Empty Defeat from the jaws of victory

Post by Mercurio Mon 19 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

I'm adding this thread thinking it will be more of a Matchplay flavour.

Where have you lost when you were on course to win?

My worst is 3 up with 6 to play and ended up on the 18th tee one down. Won the 18th and lost the 19th to a birdie 2.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Defeat from the jaws of victory Empty Re: Defeat from the jaws of victory

Post by Maverick Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, my worst case of this was being 4 up with 5 to play in a club match lost on the 18th....

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

My worst was in Club Champ QF where I was 2 up with three to play and lost to a Birdie-Par-Birdie finish. Disgusted, went home and beasted myself on a run, quickest 5k ever and was nearly sick afterwards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:45 pm

Without sounding big headed I can't honestly recall a defeat when I was in a good winning position.
I did have two close shaves though. Bounce game at Muirfield when I was six up at the turn and holed a 5 footer to win on 18th.
And a couple of years ago when I won my club KO. In an early round I was 4 up on the 15th tee and won on the 19th.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

4 up 5 to play, finished par, par, bogey, par, par to lose on the last to birdie, birdie, par, birdie, birdie.

It was an interclub county knockout comp, fortunately the team scraped through otherwise I'd never have been able to hold my head up in the clubhouse again Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

Not exactly from a matchplay angle here but my verison of defeat from the jaws of victory.

A few months back i was playing a little 9 hole public course that i play regularly with a friend who isn't a member anywhere. Now i've played this course since i was a kid when i played very infrequently right up to still playing it now.
This particular day i got to the 9th tee level par. I've never played any course level par. Hadn't 3 putted all day and had in fact chipped and one putted the last two holes for up and down pars. The 9th is a par 3, about an 8 iron, and i said to my mate if i could get it on the green i'd fancy my chances for a record breaking level par round. Stuck the tee shot to about 10 feet and 3 putted for bogey. 1 over for the round.

Now that's stealing defeat from the jaws of victory!! Doh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

Many years ago playing in the semi finals of one of the clubs matchplay comps, having beat most of our good golfers to get there(at that time I was playing of 8) and was drawn against a 23 handicapper, who I had to give 15 shots to.

After he parred the first 6 holes and I was 6 down, I thought this guy is a right bandit, managed to halve the next, but lost 9 and 8 now that's a drubbing.
He apparently, left the club at the end of the year after being cut several times complaining his handicap was to low, think he had been cut to 9

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 19 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

Not a defeat but nearly. Inter club match, 3 Rivers away to Stock Brook Manor.

I was playing terrible but somehow managed to have a good lead. The match in front had already finished so there was a group of 6-8 people watching us play the par 3 13th. Awful tee shot, left, into a ditch, took a drop, missed the green and then chipped in for bogey to halve the hole. He was in good shape too, probably thinking he was going to win that one. Took the applause and gave update on match, me 4 up with 5 to play.

Match makes it to the last hole where I 3 putt to loss the hole and halve the match. Luckily for me I holed a nasty curling 15 footer or so for a half on 15 otherwise I had probably would have lost.

The rest of the team got absolutely pasted and the result was posted as a record 8-1 defeat. They assumed I had won so were congratulating me for keeping the 3 Rivers flag flying. Have to feel sorry for my opposition number as he probably got dropped for letting the side down.

I think one of the Stock Brook guys closed out his match with an ace, talk about rubbing it in....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Sun 25 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

Mercurio wrote:My worst is 3 up with 6 to play and ended up on the 18th tee one down. Won the 18th and lost the 19th to a birdie 2.

I lost again today from 3 up with 6 to play, but it was worse than the first time as I lost it on the 18th.

FFS furious

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun 25 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

On the other side, I was 7 down at the turn in an interclub scratch foursomes match which we completely turned round on the back 9 to win on the 18th Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:38 am

The Scotland World Cup rugby team('broken')

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

club matchplay fourball competition- myself off 6and playing partner playing off 8, 2 up with 2 to play and no more shots to give to out opponents (who had 9/10 shots on us). all we had to do for one of us to par (or as it turned out bogey!!) one of the last two holes, both dunked it in the water short of par 3 17th and our opponents won hole with 4, hit 2 good drives up 18 both 100 yards to green from fairway, i putt it over the back duffed 1st chip and made 6, partner put it in the bunker short, left it in 1st time and made 6, losing the hole to a bogey 5, then lost the 19th to a par where they had a shot. Dreadful two holes where we just lost total concentration and didn't play clever shots.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down