The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers to keep an eye on?

+15
AlexHuckerby
Liam_Main
Gentleman01
Sugar Floyd Louis
trottb
Seanusarrilius
Rowley
Waingro
eddyfightfan
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Daz
Scottrf
School Project
BALTIMORA
two_tone
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxers to keep an eye on?  Empty Boxers to keep an eye on?

Post by two_tone Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Who would people suggest are the boxers to keep an eye at the moment and why, who perhaps don't receive as much attention as they deserve? Mainly meaning the up and coming boxers but any who have been in the sport a while and havent received the chances or garnered the same following some of the other boxers out have would be welcome too...

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Boxers to keep an eye on?  Empty Re: Boxers to keep an eye on?

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:48 pm

I think CID probably have an eye on Anthony Small...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Damn... you got there first Balti! Haha

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm struggling, not sure if I just haven't been impressed or haven't watched enough undercard fights. Feels like a lot of prospects have become contenders over the past year or so. Gary Russell Jr. is definitely one:

https://www.606v2.com/t10306-gary-russell-jr-fights?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Audley Harrison.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Sadam Ali from America looks a very good prospect. He has very fast hands and puts his punches together very well. He needs to sit down on them more but that will come he's still quite green.

Frankie Gavin is probably the hottest prospect over here but he has had weight problems and needs to get himself dedicated and back down to 140lbs.

Roniel Iglesias he hasn't turned pro yet but should be fighting at nextyears olympics. You'll find a lot of his stuff on youtube.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:24 pm

ashley theophane should be one to watch next season, he's already beat lenny daws and jason cook in his last 2 and should push on to better things next year i think

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:27 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Sadam Ali from America looks a very good prospect. He has very fast hands and puts his punches together very well. He needs to sit down on them more but that will come he's still quite green.

Frankie Gavin is probably the hottest prospect over here but he has had weight problems and needs to get himself dedicated and back down to 140lbs.

Roniel Iglesias he hasn't turned pro yet but should be fighting at nextyears olympics. You'll find a lot of his stuff on youtube.

Ali almost lost his last fight - needs to improve his defence somewhat - good offensive skills mind.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Kell Brook will be best of Britain in a few years imo. Khan is quality and might beat Brook now but in a year or two when Brook has more fights I reckon he would destroy Khan. Khan knows this I think and thats why he is dissing him and saying he wont fight him.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Yeah and not because Brook isn't on his radar.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm

If Brook werent on his radar then why does he diss him? Brook would destroy Morales now imo but Khan wants to fight him. Brook is also alot better than McCloskey and Khan fought him too. Khan is quality but hes always got excuses. Brook is a quality fighter and will only get better so Khan is having his excuses ready for when Book is da man so he dont have to fight him.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Kev there was an article on Gavin in last weeks boxing news where it was basically questioning whether he was peeing it up the wall and the noises he was making suggest his last couple of fights have been a real wake up call, time will tell when he actually gets in the ring but here's hoping because he is a real talent, would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Sadam Ali from America looks a very good prospect. He has very fast hands and puts his punches together very well. He needs to sit down on them more but that will come he's still quite green.

Ali almost lost his last fight - needs to improve his defence somewhat - good offensive skills mind.

He is still quite green though. He has a decent defence he seemed to get caught out a bit last time I think he underestimated his opponent. He's had 2 more fights than Frankie Gavin but has been the more impressive.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 pm

rowley wrote:Kev there was an article on Gavin in last weeks boxing news where it was basically questioning whether he was peeing it up the wall and the noises he was making suggest his last couple of fights have been a real wake up call, time will tell when he actually gets in the ring but here's hoping because he is a real talent, would be a shame to see it go to waste.

I read it mate hope he gets the finger out so to speak because he is a real talent but he isn't a welterweight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Waingro wrote:If Brook werent on his radar then why does he diss him? Brook would destroy Morales now imo but Khan wants to fight him. Brook is also alot better than McCloskey and Khan fought him too. Khan is quality but hes always got excuses. Brook is a quality fighter and will only get better so Khan is having his excuses ready for when Book is da man so he dont have to fight him.
Khan hasn't even had a Welterweight fight yet.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Waingro wrote:If Brook werent on his radar then why does he diss him? Brook would destroy Morales now imo but Khan wants to fight him. Brook is also alot better than McCloskey and Khan fought him too. Khan is quality but hes always got excuses. Brook is a quality fighter and will only get better so Khan is having his excuses ready for when Book is da man so he dont have to fight him.

Khan disses him because Brook started calling him out. Even though Khan has been at 140 for sometime. Not ideal from Khan but thats how he seems to respond. McCloskey was ranked top ten when they fought. And I dont think brook would destroy Morales at all.

Unless Brook does something unbelievable very soon - he will go the same way every other recent Khan opposition does. Outboxed from the outside.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:41 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

He is still quite green though. He has a decent defence he seemed to get caught out a bit last time I think he underestimated his opponent. He's had 2 more fights than Frankie Gavin but has been the more impressive.

Yeah he is I suppose. Hope he does well. Has an entertaining style.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Does anyone think Kahn will fight Pacquaio? No he wont imo and he said that early as an excuse so he they would never fight. He is doing the same now with Brook coz in about a year Brook will be a champion calling Khan out and Khan wont want to fight him. Then he can say he said all along he wouldnt fight Brook so it dont look dodgy. Just my opinion. I think Khan is quality but talks alot of bs.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Waingro wrote:Does anyone think Kahn will fight Pacquaio? No he wont imo and he said that early as an excuse so he they would never fight. He is doing the same now with Brook coz in about a year Brook will be a champion calling Khan out and Khan wont want to fight him. Then he can say he said all along he wouldnt fight Brook so it dont look dodgy. Just my opinion. I think Khan is quality but talks alot of bs.

The irony.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Boxers say a lot of things that are a bit silly, mainly because a lot of them are not too bright and they compound that by getting punched in the head for a living. Truth is is Brook gets himself a world title and a public profile outside of Sheffield if Khan moves up to welter the fight will make massive sense, good way for Khan to pick up a belt, means he does not have to go straight in with Floyd, should that be his aim and gives both a mega domestic match up in a football ground. Money talks in boxing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:49 pm

If Khan fights Brook then fair play think he will lose but respect him for fighting. But he said he wouldnt fight Brook coz he is with matchroom. McCloskey was with matchroom and he fought him and how does it make sense not fighting brook just coz he is with matchroom? It looks like an excuse to me anyway because he knows Brook is a quality fighter and is looking to beat him.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:49 pm

rowley wrote:Boxers say a lot of things that are a bit silly, mainly because a lot of them are not too bright and they compound that by getting punched in the head for a living. Truth is is Brook gets himself a world title and a public profile outside of Sheffield if Khan moves up to welter the fight will make massive sense, good way for Khan to pick up a belt, means he does not have to go straight in with Floyd, should that be his aim and gives both a mega domestic match up in a football ground. Money talks in boxing.

Brook would need to pick up a belt at 147 to even make the fight viable for Khan.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:49 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
rowley wrote:Kev there was an article on Gavin in last weeks boxing news where it was basically questioning whether he was peeing it up the wall and the noises he was making suggest his last couple of fights have been a real wake up call, time will tell when he actually gets in the ring but here's hoping because he is a real talent, would be a shame to see it go to waste.

I read it mate hope he gets the finger out so to speak because he is a real talent but he isn't a welterweight.

He has to be one of the most frustrating boxers to watch presently as you can see he has the talent to do well but it appears he needs to be more motivated and he does enough to get the win but hasnt really shined like he could for me. Perhaps a step up in class may bring a better Gavin out but if he continues to move up in competition with his current attitude sooner or later he will be found out. Heres hoping he sorts it out because I think he has the tools to do some damage

Last edited by two_tone on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Waingro wrote:If Khan fights Brook then fair play think he will lose but respect him for fighting. But he said he wouldnt fight Brook coz he is with matchroom. McCloskey was with matchroom and he fought him and how does it make sense not fighting brook just coz he is with matchroom? It looks like an excuse to me anyway because he knows Brook is a quality fighter and is looking to beat him.

My god - Khan said he wouldnt fight Brook because he is with matchroom AFTER the fight with McCloskey due to the way Barry and Eddie reacted AFTER the fight.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm

It is on the back of the Mcloskey fight that Khan's relationship with Matchroom has soured, basically Eddie Hearn was very critical of team Khan for the organisation and TV nonsense when the fight got downgraded from box office and Khan and his team have took the criticism personally, hence an unwillingness to deal with them again.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:52 pm

rowley wrote:Boxers say a lot of things that are a bit silly, mainly because a lot of them are not too bright and they compound that by getting punched in the head for a living. Truth is is Brook gets himself a world title and a public profile outside of Sheffield if Khan moves up to welter the fight will make massive sense, good way for Khan to pick up a belt, means he does not have to go straight in with Floyd, should that be his aim and gives both a mega domestic match up in a football ground. Money talks in boxing.

You seem to be taking it for granted that Khan would beat Brook. I'm not sure he would obviously Khan has proved himself at the higher level so would be favourite but if Brook is as good as many think he could beat Khan. The N'Dou fight was a step in the right direction for Brook but his next fight seems something of a step backwards again.

Eddie Hearn said GBP were interesting in putting him on a show in the States but their is no sign of that happening so Eddie may well have been talking nonsense.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Waingro wrote:If Khan fights Brook then fair play think he will lose but respect him for fighting. But he said he wouldnt fight Brook coz he is with matchroom. McCloskey was with matchroom and he fought him and how does it make sense not fighting brook just coz he is with matchroom? It looks like an excuse to me anyway because he knows Brook is a quality fighter and is looking to beat him.
McCloskey was before the falling out. The time isn't right for Khan-Brook atm no matter what either of them say.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Good articles, I am keeping an eye on Thomas Dulorme. He is fighting again October 1st and looked good v demarcus Corely. Stong, compact. Flutters between light welter and welter at the mo but if he settles at 147 he might be one for Brook down the line

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Good articles, I am keeping an eye on Thomas Dulorme. He is fighting again October 1st and looked good v demarcus Corely. Stong, compact. Flutters between light welter and welter at the mo but if he settles at 147 he might be one for Brook down the line

I think I seen him was he on Friday night fights?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Yes exactly another excuse what did Hearn say except what everyone was thinking that the stoppage was a joke and that shifting the fight from sky was greedy. How does this effect Brook in anyway I dont see how it does and think Khan is making up an excuse not fight him coz he knows when he goes to welter Brook will be a champ and calling him out there.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Demetrius Andrade is one to watch out for - just beat Grady Brewer on ESPN - still green but looks very good.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:Good articles, I am keeping an eye on Thomas Dulorme. He is fighting again October 1st and looked good v demarcus Corely. Stong, compact. Flutters between light welter and welter at the mo but if he settles at 147 he might be one for Brook down the line

Yep

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Yep

I did see him he looked good.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Following on from this whose peoples number one prospect or most likely to be p4p material in the future?

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Not really a prospect anymore as he is already a 2x world champ but Nonito Donaire is the future of boxing.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Donaire and Gamboa for me look like P4P contenders in the next couple of years if not already pushing for top 10 spot

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Leo Santa Cruz is only 23 and is Mexican although he fights out of California. He's a very talented guy. Fast hands, good footwork, decent defence, good work rate, isn't afraid to scrap if he needs to and has enough power to gain his opponents respect. He's fighting between 115 and 118lbs atm but I think he might end up as high as 126lbs.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Leo Santa Cruz is only 23 and is Mexican although he fights out of California. He's a very talented guy. Fast hands, good footwork, decent defence, good work rate, isn't afraid to scrap if he needs to and has enough power to gain his opponents respect. He's fighting between 115 and 118lbs atm but I think he might end up as high as 126lbs.

Not familiar with him - will keep my eyes peeled

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Leo Santa Cruz is only 23 and is Mexican although he fights out of California. He's a very talented guy. Fast hands, good footwork, decent defence, good work rate, isn't afraid to scrap if he needs to and has enough power to gain his opponents respect. He's fighting between 115 and 118lbs atm but I think he might end up as high as 126lbs.

Not familiar with him - will keep my eyes peeled

I watch a lot of stuff from the lower weights mate. He's one of those guys who is a very good boxer but seems to love a scrap. Shame he's so small if he was bigger he would probably end up a making a lot of money.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Always better fighters at the lower weights - but never make any money unfortunately. With more money it gives them more exposure which we never bleeding see!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Tony Harrison the young American light middleweight trained by Emanual Steward is looking quite promising.

Last edited by trottb on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

We get nothing over here. I was trying to ask primetime about it yesterday to see if it was something they would be getting into.

Segura is fighting next month against Julio Cesar Miranda he should win but it looks like it will be a good fight.

WBVA usually have lower weight stuff available for download the day after the fight but it would be good to watch it on T.V.

Britain has a good history of Flyweights with the likes of Lynch, Wilde and Kane. Hope we see another one day to see how much exposure they get. It would be interesting to see if we had a top flyweight how popular he would be.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

yes mate, against chop chop corely about two months ago

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:59 pm

JESSE VARGAS!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Stephen Smith is another domestic fighter with a bright future ahead of him imo. He may not be of the standard of prospect of the likes of Gavin or DeGold but he's a good fighter and will go close if not all the way to a World title and due to his style should be in some good fights along the way.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Maybe he's been mentioned earlier on this thread (I have skimmed it only), but does anyone know what's happeming with Matvey Korobov? World-class amateur who made a fast start to his pro career. Yet I've heard little about him for the last 9 months.

Also, does anyone know if Vasyl Lomachenko (sic?) has turned, or has an intention of turning pro?

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Kazuto Iota is a minimumweight from Japan he's only 22 and won the WBC title in only his 7th fight against the decent Oleydong Sithsamerchai handing him his first defeat in nearly 40 fights and stopping him in the process. He's since defended against Juan Hernandez earlier this month and is a real talent.

He is a very classy boxer with excellent hand and foot speed along with excellent head and foot movement. His defence looks very good along with enough power to back up his opponents without being a concussive puncher.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Not so much a prospect anymore but I would keep and eye on American Dannie Williams next season, seen him on Friday night fights and looked superb. Would love to see a rematch between him and Eloy Perez
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Another to watch out for is for Gary Russell Jr, incredible hand speed!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:46 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Kazuto Iota is a minimumweight from Japan he's only 22 and won the WBC title in only his 7th fight against the decent Oleydong Sithsamerchai handing him his first defeat in nearly 40 fights and stopping him in the process. He's since defended against Juan Hernandez earlier this month and is a real talent.

He is a very classy boxer with excellent hand and foot speed along with excellent head and foot movement. His defence looks very good along with enough power to back up his opponents without being a concussive puncher.

Think thats the first minimumweight fighter I have heard of, pretty shocking

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next