The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION?

+32
RubyGuby
dubh_linn
Gatts
Feckless Rogue
Breadvan
fa0019
Artful_Dodger
red_stag
BATH_BTGOG
mckay1402
Kingshu
Notch
cabbagesandbrussels
EnglishReign
flankertye
maestegmafia
geoff998rugby
Taffineastbourne
D24tress
pete (buachaill on eirne)
yappysnap
Thomond
Jenifer McLadyboy
bathmad
GunsGerms
greenandpleasantland
HQ matt
screamingaddabs
Luckless Pedestrian
HammerofThunor
Rava
krusty
36 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION? Empty Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION?

Post by krusty Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

England will still be hurting from their humiliating defeat to Ireland in the six nations & will have a point to prove after squandering countless first half opportunities against Wales.

Ireland rest some big names & England have Chris "Tom Daley" Ashton returning along with Manu Tuilagi. I think both of them would have swung the match in England's favour in Cardiff had they been involved.

I predict a clinical England & I can't see Ireland creating much.

Ireland 16 - 30 England

krusty

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION? Empty Re: Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION?

Post by Rava Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:16 pm

I originally had Ireland to win by 10 points but after seeing the matchup in the centre I would revise that to Ireland by 18 points Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION? Empty Re: Ireland v England: SCORE PREDICTION?

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:45 am

I reckon Ireland by 5

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:17 am

I have Ireland by ten.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:25 am

Ireland by 8. Crying or Very sad
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:36 am

ireland by 5 or less

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:41 am

I see Ireland winning it by 10-12 points Crying or Very sad

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

I think if England are to win they will have to thump Ireland because I think Ireland would be able to close out a close game v England. However Ireland are so bad at the moment, the game v France last weekend in my opinion was the worst Irish performance in many years so I think England will win by ten plus.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:20 am

Ireland's back line (Bowe aside) is even worse than England's. England by 7.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:33 am

bathmad wrote:Ireland's back line (Bowe aside) is even worse than England's. England by 7.

Only Ashton, Foden and Youngs would make the Ireland team. Overall we probably have better backs however collectively they are badly misfiring and as you say they are as predictable, ineffective and uninventive if not worse than Englands at the moment.

For an insight into the problems you may be interested to read ex Leinster flanker and the foremost rugby writer in Ireland's piece in the times today. Indeed the last few days he has highlighted and examined Ireland's lack of creativity as our biggest problem. I wholeheartedly agree.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0826/1224303000049.html

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:53 am

leinsterbaby wrote:
bathmad wrote:Ireland's back line (Bowe aside) is even worse than England's. England by 7.

Only Ashton, Foden and Youngs would make the Ireland team. Overall we probably have better backs however collectively they are badly misfiring and as you say they are as predictable, ineffective and uninventive if not worse than Englands at the moment.

For an insight into the problems you may be interested to read ex Leinster flanker and the foremost rugby writer in Ireland's piece in the times today. Indeed the last few days he has highlighted and examined Ireland's lack of creativity as our biggest problem. I wholeheartedly agree.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0826/1224303000049.html
Not just me then who thinks Paddy Wallace is inferior to both Darce & McFadden but our "foremost rugby writer" too.

Munster man, and former Munster & Leinster flanker (& Captain) Generally all round unbiased guy.

Oh. England by several. Based on Earls at 13 and our lack of form. I hope Ferg gets a run at 11 or 12 or 13 or 14.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

I wouldn't have Ashton in our team,Foden would be in for a close contest with Kearney and Youngs would definitely start.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Interesting that in general England fans predict an Ireland win and vice versa.

I just don't think that the England team will see enough quick, undisrupted possession. Not unless they seriously up their performances in the rucks from their previous three outings.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

Ireland by 10.

No matter the problems involved in the squad at the moment Ireland still seem to have a real hoodoo over England, couple this with the fact they will undoubtedly raise their game for this one I can't see past an Ireland win.

England just haven't settled with a quality team, our first choicers look worse then the back up players in some key positions and the back ups don't have much game time.

England will have a solid set peice, will control the game well but I envisage will still fail to get those points when on offer and lose the breakdown battle.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

Lawes would definitely make the bench IMO.
Out of all the english players he'd be the one I'd want the most maybe with youngs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

Thomond wrote:I wouldn't have Ashton in our team,Foden would be in for a close contest with Kearney and Youngs would definitely start.
[quote]

I could see Ashton linking very well with Bowe, Sexton and BOD, probably doing better then he does in the England team!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

We don't have any pace in our team so if Ashton was Irish he would make the team even if Trimble is playing well or Earls is a very good player too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

The way our backline is performing at the moment,he wouldn't see many opportunites. I don't think Ashton does much around the park and relies on others to create opportuniites for him rather than creating them himself.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

Thomond wrote:The way our backline is performing at the moment,he wouldn't see many opportunites. I don't think Ashton does much around the park and relies on others to create opportuniites for him rather than creating them himself.

Watching England recently I think he creates a bit more then people realise, i can remember some good breaks against France and Scotland and even one against Ireland.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

I think he can be targetted in the kicking game as his positioning is questionable,would expect ROG to try and sail some over his head tomorrow.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

In all fairness the way Sexton attacks the line and frequently gets his hands free would suit Ashton ideally, although I couldn't stomach the guy in green

In all fairness that one he made against ireland was good but then he passed the ball to Darcy so... Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:11 am

Thomond wrote:The way our backline is performing at the moment,he wouldn't see many opportunites. I don't think Ashton does much around the park and relies on others to create opportuniites for him rather than creating them himself.

Yes he is a winger, that's what good wingers do. He isn't perfect but he is very fast, gets in good positions. Sometimes his awareness with ball in hand isn't great but he is decent.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:12 am

...If he did play for us he would have to cut out the ridiculous diving though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:13 am

leinsterbaby wrote:...If he did play for us he would have to cut out the ridiculous diving though.

Yeah otherwise POC would finish what Manu started.

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

If we are getting players from england can we get dan cole please

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

Sexton hasn't exactly been attacking the line recently,I've yet to see it in the summer anyway! I would prefer a winger with a more rounded game as opposed to Ashton,would prefer Trimble or Bowe.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:23 am

Trimble?!?!?!?! Hahahaha.

Thanks, I needed that.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

bathmad wrote:Trimble?!?!?!?! Hahahaha.

Thanks, I needed that.

You laugh now but Trimble has been Irelands most creative back for a few games now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

Come to think of it trimble has been playing pretty damn well since the game against the All blacks last summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

Didn't he score a 60m try against Bath beating 4 players or so??????

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

screamingaddabs wrote:I just don't think that the England team will see enough quick, undisrupted possession. Not unless they seriously up their performances in the rucks from their previous three outings.

That's going to be a key battle as usual, and I'd back Ireland to win that battle on Saturday. That said, if Ireland give away needless penalties at the breakdown (Donncha O'Callaghan, I'm looking at you), Jonny Wilkinson is unlikely to miss many shots at goal.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

To have any chance of winning Sportsguru prediction game England must win by 12,else I am down the gurgler!Currently in 16th spot.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

Jennifer I read that Paddy Walalce comment with interest.

It somewhat lost it credibility when he seemed to suggest that Fitzpatrick could be a better bet than Bowe and/or Trimble.

Makes me doubt Toland's judgement

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

Looks like an exciting encounter. Ireland have two fantastic wings with plenty of winning experience at 15.

Earls is a very handy outside center and with DArcy on form should solve irelands creative issues.

Very strong back five, each player are likely the best or top three in their position in the NH.

Irelands front row is good but they are lucky to have an inexperienced guy to target in Sheridan.

I am really unsure what England are trying to do with their backline. Wigglesworth didn't look up to pace at all. Tidal is not a solution at 12 and Cueto has done nothing to warrant his place in the squad let alone Englands first choice team, the only condition being that he is better than Matt Banahan.

Tuilagi and wilkinson looked good but have not played regularly enough with their partners to form a reliable and effective combinations yet.

The pack looks tough, though I think Sheridan is getting a run out to justify his selection. Easter is there to rectify the little he did the other week against Wales.

Prediction. England will try to bully Ireland but can't score tries. They can and will kick goals.

The result will all be based on how well Ireland's forwards deal with England outside the set piece. And whether England have found a backline worth it's salt.

It will be a close game because neither side can lose and claim any momentum pre RWC.

I think Ireland will win by 5plus points on a wave of home support.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri 26 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm

19-16 to England.
Tuilagi to score.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

England need to find the form of last year and indeed the start of this year. I don't know have we've gone from playing good attacking rugby, to being incapable of penetrating a defence. I expect that to change tomorrow with a close fought match, couple of England trys making it Eng 20 - 9 Ire.

Eng - 2 pens, 2 converted tries
Ire - 3 pens

Last edited by EnglishReign on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

krusty wrote:England will still be hurting from their humiliating defeat to Ireland in the six nations

how was that humiliating? Ireland won the 2009 6N FFS!!!

I think that there will only be about 3 points in it...in Englands favour :-)

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

There's a lot of stuff I agree with Toland on and a lot of stuff I disagree with him on. He's either right on the money or leaves me completely bemused. I'm bemused by his views on McFadden as first centre and Fitzgerald, thats for sure.

I think it's clear that Wallace is considered as a potential challenger to D'Arcy- why else has he been afforded the second highest number of starts at 12 by Kidney behind D'Arce if not? Headscratch It seems obvious McFadden has been picked to play on the wing or at outside centre- instead of Fitzgerald.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

Also, the other week he called for Andrew Trimble to be cut from the World Cup squad. Weird stuff from Toland lately.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

Thanks, I needed that.

He's been playing very well for a couple of years now, you might have seen he when he was part of the team that did the double over Bath 2 years in a row, in the H-cup, or remember the amazing solo try he scored against Bath in the Rec in the H-cup.
Doubt you were laughing at him on those days!

as to the game, I think Ireland need a win more than England do, added the home advantage, I saw Ireland by 15.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Jennifer I read that Paddy Walalce comment with interest.

It somewhat lost it credibility when he seemed to suggest that Fitzpatrick could be a better bet than Bowe and/or Trimble.

But certainly isn't at the moment on form. Presume you meant Fitzgerald seeing as you were talking wingers.

Both of those players are in great form (well Tommy was when I last saw him) and are deservedly ahead of Fitz because of it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

Like I said Jenny, the day of the France game he was talking about Trimble missing the cut for the final squad. Fitz on the plane.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

I'm surprised so many are going for an Ireland win. I see an England win by 10
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

England by 4
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

Notch wrote:
I think it's clear that Wallace is considered as a potential challenger to D'Arcy- why else has he been afforded the second highest number of starts at 12 by Kidney behind D'Arce if not? Headscratch It seems obvious McFadden has been picked to play on the wing or at outside centre- instead of Fitzgerald.

Perhaps he is picked to be a 22 because he covers more positions than PW to a higher standard. Has searing pace, a great attitude, is strong as an ox and really gets stuck in.

I was shocked to see PW at 22 during the 6N. Rog at 21 covered 10. The only place you could play Paddy was 12, which would mean re jiging the whole backline if a player in another position got injured.

I reckon he must have pictures of Kidney in a compromising situation or something.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:Jennifer I read that Paddy Walalce comment with interest.

But certainly isn't at the moment on form. Presume you meant Fitzgerald seeing as you were talking wingers.

Both of those players are in great form (well Tommy was when I last saw him) and are deservedly ahead of Fitz because of it.

So you disagree with Toland then because not is not what he said.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

Thanks, I needed that.

Just for you:

Trimble v Bath LINK

red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

Notch wrote:Like I said Jenny, the day of the France game he was talking about Trimble missing the cut for the final squad. Fitz on the plane.

On form, no way. 2 years ago absolutely, in spades. If Fitz ever gets his head right again he has the talent to take Trimble's spot no problem.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

I think England are certainly capable of winning,their breakdown work over the summer has been poor and they have suffered as their ball has been slow. If they get quick ball their backs could toruble us,it could go either way really. I can't see the winners winning by more than a score.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Based on the Irish backrow of Ferris, Wallace and Heaslip...I think we will just win this one.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next