The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before

+6
droogle
legendkillar
yummymummy
hawkeye
sportslover
socal1976
10 posters

Go down

Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before Empty Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 6:58

Ever since last year's U.S. Open, Djokovic has been trying to improve his fitness by climbing into a rare $75,000 egg-shaped, bobsled-sized pressure chamber.

The machine, which is made by a California-based company called CVAC Systems and hasn't been banned by any sports governing bodies, is one of only 20 in the world. Unlike the increasingly trendy $5,000 hyperbaric chambers many professional athletes use to saturate the blood with oxygen and stimulate healing, the CVAC is a considerably more-ambitious contraption. It uses a computer-controlled valve and a vacuum pump to simulate high altitude and compress the muscles at rhythmic intervals.

The company claims that spending up to 20 minutes in the pod three times a week can boost athletic performance by improving circulation, boosting oxygen-rich red-blood cells, removing lactic acid and possibly even stimulating mitochondrial biogenesis and stem-cell production.

Djokovic is so convinced that the pod helps his game that during the U.S. Open, which starts Monday, he's staying (for the fourth year) with a wealthy tennis-trainer friend in Alpine, N.J. who keeps one of the machines on his property.

Djokovic has never mentioned the pod publicly before. He acknowledged using it for the first time last week during a sponsor event in New York after he was asked about it for this article. "I think it really helps—not with muscle but more with recovery after an exhausting set," he said. "It's like a spaceship. It's very interesting technology."

The pod, which is seven feet long, three feet wide and seven feet high with the lid open, looks like a cross between a tanning bed and the giant egg Lady Gaga emerged from at the Grammys. CVAC says its pod is different from other pressurized chambers on the market because it combines altitude pressure with cyclic compression (a combination some studies suggest is more effective than one or the other). Because the pressure, temperature, air density in the CVAC pod can be adjusted, the company says it enhances an athlete's ability to adapt to a range of conditions.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532854267519860.html

Interesting stuff, is this a new trend that will now find other tennis players rushing in for pressurized vaccum chambers? What are the implications?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before Empty Re: Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before

Post by sportslover Mon 29 Aug - 7:03

In 2006 the World Anti-Doping Agency ruled that such oxygen tents enhance performance and violate "the spirit of sport," but did not add them to the list of banned substances and methods, saying they would wait until further studies were conducted.

Naughty naughty socal - Enter Tenez Wink

Last edited by sportslover on Mon 29 Aug - 7:07; edited 1 time in total

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before Empty Re: Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:05

sportslover wrote:In 2006 the World Anti-Doping Agency ruled that such oxygen tents enhance performance and violate "the spirit of sport," but did not add them to the list of banned substances and methods, saying they would wait until further studies were conducted.

Naughty naughty socal - Enter Tezez Wink
That is their opinion certainly, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is just playing around with oxygen and pressure there are no drugs involved so I don't really see what it has to do with these antidoping people in the first place unless oxygen and air pressure are now to be classified as drugs?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 29 Aug - 7:07

Wow!

From the linked article

In 2006 the World Anti-Doping Agency ruled that such oxygen tents enhance performance and violate "the spirit of sport," but did not add them to the list of banned substances and methods, saying they would wait until further studies were conducted.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 29 Aug - 7:12

socal I would be getting a bit concerned with Novak if any further revelations are uncovered.

The diet was fine, this is another step but where does one stop.

Other players must be wondering what's it all about and start getting ideas as well on how to enhance performance.

Good for the sport I wonder!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 29 Aug - 7:12

Oh My God !!!

It's Michael Jackson re-incarnated Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 1505004552

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:13

The article also says that it is not banned by any sports or anti-doping agencies. It isn't steroids its oxygen. For years in sports here we have seen US athletes even use oxygen tanks on the sidelines.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:16

What concern sportslover, this isn't doping, what the hell does the World doping's opinion its not in the spirit of whatever matter. It hasn't been banned by anyone, including world doping, and its oxygen and air pressure. This doesn't strike me as particularly a bad story on Djoko. Novak is trying to push the cutting edge of what his body will allow without breaking any of the rules, it is his job to as fit as he possibly can be.

Yummy that is funny maybe he will get a chimp to!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 29 Aug - 7:18

Bull ....

HOW many Tennis Players have YOU seen having this so-called

treatment socal ?

Was it Neil Armstrong ????

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 29 Aug - 7:19

I think someone should sneak in there and cut one and see how fit he will be for his first match Run

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:28

yummymummy wrote:Bull ....

HOW many Tennis Players have YOU seen having this so-called

treatment socal ?

Was it Neil Armstrong ????

It say quite a few athletes are doing it and even many no athletes for the health benefits. I don't really see anything wrong with it. I like the fact that the man takes his fitness and his competitive edge seriously, this just shows dedication. And no one has banned this, and it isn't a drug of any kind or a supplement.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:30

legendkillar wrote:I think someone should sneak in there and cut one and see how fit he will be for his first match Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 2211252749

Yeah that is kind of funny I wonder how bad a stinky would smell if it was pumped into a closed room at high pressure, would it make any difference would it make it extra pungent?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 29 Aug - 7:32

Are you for real socal ??

Or do you sleep in an oxygen *tent* every night like your

Hero MJ ???

Look where it landed him !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:36

yummymummy wrote:Are you for real socal ??

Or do you sleep in an oxygen *tent* every night like your

Hero MJ ???

Look where it landed him !

I don't get it, really what exactly is wrong with the oxygen chamber?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 29 Aug - 7:39

Oh for Heavens sake socal - EVERYONE is NORMAL apart

from the few who are more *NORMAL* than the others !

Have you never read "Animal Farm" ?

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Mon 29 Aug - 7:47

I got one of those vacuum chambers. The last couple of years I've been getting much worse hangovers than I used to and I needed something to help them pass quicker. I think it really helps, I stumble into it at night and when I wake up I'm already good for a couple of shots of vodka.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 7:51

droogle wrote:I got one of those vacuum chambers. The last couple of years I've been getting much worse hangovers than I used to and I needed something to help them pass quicker. I think it really helps, I stumble into it at night and when I wake up I'm already good for a couple of shots of vodka.

Wow droogle I want to party with you. Djokovic trains to win tennis matches and you to get over the hangovers, that is great. I support both uses of the vacuum chamber.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Aug - 8:41

I see this quote was conveniently missed...

"While pod users don't do much beyond sitting while they are inside (cellphone use is permitted), CVAC Systems chief executive Allen Ruszkowski says the treatment seems to have many of the same effects on the body as intense exercise. He claims that the technology may be twice as effective at helping the body absorb oxygen as blood doping—a banned form of performance enhancement."

So there you have it, from the manufacturers horses mouth, it is equivalent to a banned practice.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 29 Aug - 8:46

Jubbahey wrote:I see this quote was conveniently missed...

"While pod users don't do much beyond sitting while they are inside (cellphone use is permitted), CVAC Systems chief executive Allen Ruszkowski says the treatment seems to have many of the same effects on the body as intense exercise. He claims that the technology may be twice as effective at helping the body absorb oxygen as blood doping—a banned form of performance enhancement."

So there you have it, from the manufacturers horses mouth, it is equivalent to a banned practice.

Surely that doesn't mean he has to give back the Silverware he has won since he first started using it!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 29 Aug - 8:57

From some of the comments here, you would get the feeling that anti Novak merchants would rather he had asthmatic problems than be healthy, oh you nasty ruthless demons thumbsdown

Keep p1ssing them Murrdal fans off Novak clap
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 29 Aug - 9:02

Is this chamber a treatment for asthma?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 29 Aug - 9:05

What some vain women put themselves through just to look 5 years younger makes all this a child's play.
To me, it all sounds much more hi-tech than it is, sounds like a great pampering treatment, actually....
Anything mechanical is fine, it's the stuff that goes into the blood system that is dangerous (read steroids, drugs etc).

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 29 Aug - 9:21

These things are often used for altitude training, why on earth would it possibly be controversial, I couldn't tell you.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Aug - 10:30

So you're now admitting he gets high from this procedural treatment ! laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 29 Aug - 12:16

Ok then Jubba, go and use a vacuum chamber, and see how good you get at tennis. I shall be awaiting your rise up the ATP rankings mate... Whistle
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 13:10

noleisthebest wrote:What some vain women put themselves through just to look 5 years younger makes all this a child's play.
To me, it all sounds much more hi-tech than it is, sounds like a great pampering treatment, actually....
Anything mechanical is fine, it's the stuff that goes into the blood system that is dangerous (read steroids, drugs etc).

I know next they are going to want to prevent the players from getting phsyical therapy or surgeries because modern medicine is an unfair advantage. The reason the drugs are banned beyond just the even playing field is that there are real health risks if you take peds too far. This seems like something akin to a hollistic health approach that should be a must for any player. Sorry oxygen and air pressure is no way like taking steroids or growth hormones. This very much isn't anything like cheating or doping, its a player taking his job seriously and its not against the rules of any organization he is involved with. For heaven's sake you mean Novak is allowed to breath really good air, how shocking. What next if he uses a high tech water filter he should be banned from the sport?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug - 13:16

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Ok then Jubba, go and use a vacuum chamber, and see how good you get at tennis. I shall be awaiting your rise up the ATP rankings mate... Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 590675

Exactly, JM the level of hysteria over oxygenized and pressurized air is rather funny. It obviously isn't the reason why he is doing better the man has gotten serious about his training and there isn't anything wrong about this. Could it just be some of our senior citizens here and their fear of new technology. There seems to be a very interesting faction developing to tear down Djokovic and his accomplishments on this site. I am glad as his fan that he takes such a cutting edge approach to his health and fitness. Oh my god have you heard Djokovic gets special doped air!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Aug - 19:09

Sportsmen/women use these oxygen tanks all the time.
Footballers have used them to help get over injuries.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 29 Aug - 19:41

Bet Rogers got a Gold one with a big "RF" on the side Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 30 Aug - 0:21

sportslover wrote:Bet Rogers got a Gold one with a big "RF" on the side Wink

And then we got Murray with his A.B.E on the crest http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfhliqVernQ4g0vvHHP5-8gTOKfjxYFhsqUPuiYsTVeRJQwvsVHg
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 31 Aug - 4:12

More discussion about Djokovic and the egg

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2011/08/egg-role.html#comments

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 31 Aug - 4:24

I believe Michael Jackson used to use one too !

Didn't do him a whole lot of good did it Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 56390

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 31 Aug - 4:29

yummymummy wrote:I believe Michael Jackson used to use one too !

Didn't do him a whole lot of good did it Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 56390
he believed it could make him fly like his idol peter pan Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 31 Aug - 4:39

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
yummymummy wrote:I believe Michael Jackson used to use one too !

he believed it could make him fly like his idol peter pan Very Happy

NOPE Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 810156456

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 31 Aug - 4:55

Michael had a hyperbaric chamber, this thing is much more advanced as it plays around with pressure and temperature as well as oxygenation. I actually think this is a very interesting and positive technology, I don't see that we should be dismissive it is something new and could have real benefits.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 31 Aug - 5:18

Anyway it gives Fed/Nadal fans something to yap on about, to cover the fact that Novak simply was the best player all year apart from that RG defeat. How did Nadal comeback from knee injuries so quickly after AO10? Answer me that Nadal fanboys?

If there was anything controversial in this i'm sure the two goat contenders would have said something by now Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 31 Aug - 5:40

I fink he had some sort of blood transfusion (Of his own blood

platelets) JM

PS Is I a Goat Contender ?Djokovic using 75000 dollar vacuum chamber, never heard of this before 479796

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 31 Aug - 7:53

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Anyway it gives Fed/Nadal fans something to yap on about, to cover the fact that Novak simply was the best player all year apart from that RG defeat. How did Nadal comeback from knee injuries so quickly after AO10? Answer me that Nadal fanboys?

If there was anything controversial in this i'm sure the two goat contenders would have said something by now Very Happy

I think Nadal went on the chicken diet during that period. Now there you've got it: the chicken and egg problem Whistle

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug - 8:24

Does having a humour bypass help in getting registered on here now ?

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 31 Aug - 21:29

Well it's obviously doing his asthma a whole lot of good - guess it wouldn't be for everyone.

I don't agree with WADA, on the information in this article, that it violates the spirit of (today's) sport. You could argue that MTOs can contravene the spirit of (yesterday's) sport where the best man on the day triumphed, not necessarily the one that had to have a physiotherapist/doctor out at the end of every set to massage away all the aches and pains.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 5 Sep - 7:22

Why doesn't he just inject EPO?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down