The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup?

3 posters

Go down

Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup? Empty Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup?

Post by Kingshu Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 pm

With the Welsh regions in the Anglo-Welsh cup, do you think that the remaining (non-welsh) Celtic League teams could play in a Cup. A knock out competition involving the South African super 15 sides Plus Southern Kings and the remaining (non-welsh) Celtic League teams.

Competition wounld not take place in world cup years, would have 14 teams in it, open draw straight knock out.

It would have the top place SA team and top Celtic League team not entered untill the QF, meaning 12 teams (open draw one game) play, leaving 6 teams plus the top team in each league = 8, that makes the QF, SF and Final, all one game, open draws.

I know people are against an additional cup competition, but this has for the finalists a total of 4 extra games to the season, surley teams could handle that, most will have only one game. The positiave is it will see our teams pitted against quality souther hemp competition, and can only improve each others game as a result.

I don't know about when it would take place that could be down to organisers.

If you are in the camp against extra games, how about the clubs do away with there pre season friendlies and play this Comp at the end of the Super season, and while Northern teams are normally playing friendlies.

Personally with Super 15 running from Feb-Jul, games in March may be ideal, most Celtic League teams would be out of H-cup anyway, and there are dates free as Welsh play in Anglo-Welsh.

Thoughs

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup? Empty Re: Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup?

Post by Notch Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:54 pm

I think the calendar is already too congested for this to be a runner. Already too many games and I think it's better to have friendlies than this.

Realistically I don't see the need for it, and I don't see that there would be much interest in it either.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup? Empty Re: Celtic (without the Welsh regions) and SA Cup?

Post by Shifty Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:28 pm

The LV Cup only takes place during the November Internationals and the 6 Nations, it is a mickey mouse tournament to be honest.
Iv'e heard the money the teams get is substancial though hence why the Anglo-Welsh teams always talk it up, yet never pick a full team unless they have found themselves in the Final, and an English club has realised they can qualify for Europe from it.
It's basically used to play the academy team and 1 or 2 players coming back from injury, nothing more.

I wouldn't object to the South African sides entering the Heinaken Cup though, as their pre-season warm up!
We have 6 Pools, of 4 teams, making a total of 24 clubs.
This works out as:
France 6 clubs
England 7 clubs
Ireland 4 clubs
Wales 3 clubs
Scotland 2 clubs
Italy 2 clubs.

We could rearrange it to:
South Africa 5 clubs
France 5 clubs
England 5 clubs
Ireland 2 or 3 clubs (highest 3rd placed Welsh or Irish club takes final spot)
Wales 2 or 3 clubs
Scotland 2 clubs
Italy 2 clubs

This would be a lot of fun Smile

Then again if the Magners scrapped the play offs, they could add in 2 new teams anyway, so the southern Kings and Golden Lions could join!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down