The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3!

+8
Youarethegreatest
BALTIMORA
Shantel Jackson Boyfriend
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
Sugar Boy Sweetie
D4thincarnation
oxring
12 posters

Go down

NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3! Empty NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3!

Post by oxring Tue 22 Feb 2011, 12:29 pm

As always, a great list from the ring:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/ratings/11-pound-for-pound
1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Nonito Donaire
4. Sergio Martinez
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
7. Wladimir Klitschko
8. Timothy Bradley
9. Juan Manuel Lopez
10. Giovani Segura

So D4 was right - and I was truly wrong. JMM down to 5 - his lowest point in years. "Maravilla" (36 today) drops to 4 - and his fans won't be pleased - but Donaire was sensational against Montiel.

Thoughts on the new list folks - who would you change?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3! Empty Re: NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3!

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 22 Feb 2011, 12:32 pm

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3! Empty Re: NEW RING MAGAZINE P4P RANKINGS - DONAIRE AT 3!

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 22 Feb 2011, 12:46 pm

It's not a million miles away from mine, but I'd have cotto in at 10 not segura, and I'd actually put Donsire ahead of mayweather right now based on mayweathers inactivity, donaires recent quality of opposition and the way he's been beating them. Here's mine:

1) Manny Pacquiao (welter)
2) Nonito Donaire Jr (bantam)
3) Floyd Mayweather Jr (welter)
4) Sergio Martinez (middle)
5) JM Marquez (lightweight)
6) Pongsalek Wonjongkam (fly)
7) Wladimir Klitschko (heavy)
8) Timothy Bradley (light welter)
9) Juan Manuel Lopez (feather)
10) Miguel Cotto (light middle)
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 22 Feb 2011, 1:19 pm

I dont think I'd have ND as high as 3. JMM and Martinez have proven themselves over a longer period of time. I'd put ND at 5 even though he looked amazing against Monteil.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 22 Feb 2011, 2:23 pm

i agree that he should overtake JMM, but i don't believe he should be placed higher than Martinez. Martinez was fighter of the year last year and has a very hard opponent in Serhiy Dzinziruk. If donito gets a matchup with agbeko/ mares and wins he should get a top 3 finish(or top 2 if PBF actually retires indefinitely) but atm martinez is warrants the place more.

Montiel was p4p no 7(?) when they fought and donaire was 5.

Williams was p4p no 4(?) when he fought martinez who was p4p 5 (or 6)

Looking at this, the fact williams COULDN'T get up and Martinez avenged a controversial loss he deserves to be no 3 IMO.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Shantel Jackson Boyfriend Tue 22 Feb 2011, 9:59 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie

What on earth has Miguel "the quitter" Cotto done to deserve a place in the top 10?

Shantel Jackson Boyfriend

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 22 Feb 2011, 10:30 pm

When did Cotto quit?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 22 Feb 2011, 10:53 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:When did Cotto quit?

When he went on his knees just before Marg was going to hit him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:03 pm

Shantel - you go 11 with "hands of plaster" and see whether you fancy seeing in the 11th.

Course - it was a corner stoppage - he didn't quit.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:04 pm

guys, cotto is done this is why he faces the likes of foreman and now mayorga, he is being milked for the last bit of pennies by arum. Cotto shouldnt be considered in any p4p top ten lists

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:06 pm

Youarethegreatest wrote:guys, cotto is done this is why he faces the likes of foreman and now mayorga, he is being milked for the last bit of pennies by arum. Cotto shouldnt be considered in any p4p top ten lists

Who do you want him to fight at 154? The division is hardly bursting with talent...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:09 pm

he did quit - understandably if the plaster rumours are true. He didnt want to continue, although he got destroyed in the manny fight he was still moving around trying to survive. He certainly wasnt willing to carry on in the marg fight

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:15 pm

oxring wrote:
Youarethegreatest wrote:guys, cotto is done this is why he faces the likes of foreman and now mayorga, he is being milked for the last bit of pennies by arum. Cotto shouldnt be considered in any p4p top ten lists

Who do you want him to fight at 154? The division is hardly bursting with talent...

Im sure you can have a look at top 10 - 15 in the 154lbers and pick one. Cintron, Rhodes, Canelo, Erislandy Lara, Angulo(abroad), Bundrage. Im not sure where maryoga fits in as a competitive challenge, although if mayorga starts landing...... I suppose the foreman fight was somewhat understandable as it was for a belt. But Santos was semi retired/ reported drug addicted b4 he faced foreman

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheikitout Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:32 pm

no nway miguel cotto should be in that list. donaire is quality but i think we jumping on the bandwagon a bit here p4p no 3?? i dont think so martinez should be ahead of him after being fighter of the year last year and people running scared of him. mayweather beat the no.1 welter as ranked by the ring in moseley and is rightly top of that division, and manny pacqiuo wont be moved at the top spot unless he is beaten.

i suppose you could argue wlad is a little low, he is easily the best HW out there apart from his brother and has faced every challenger possible, everyone else in the p4p list you can easily say has 'ducked' people not wlad. Khan fans wont be happy at bradley being so high, even though bradley beat alexander which is a good win he didnt look great and to be honest i think hes pretty beatable.

could make a case for agebeko and gamboa to be in there, shame froch cant make this list although hes limited hes an incredible fighter and can box as he showed in his last fight with abraham, if he wisn the supe rsix would he warrant a place?

Cheikitout

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheikitout Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:38 pm

cotto did quick he took a knee as marg was about to hit him, it was a pretty clear 'i cant take this anymore' moment. but i think he is getting credit for how he battled against pacqiuo. cotto was done after the marg fight and i hate saying that but it took something out of him, he never looked good in any of his big fights, lost to marg, beat shane but took a bit of a beating if you get what i mean, even with the average clottey he looked like he wanted to quit and was cut up pretty bad. its a shame because in the opening rounds in all his fights he boxes really well but after he gets tagged once or twice his defense goes out the window and the red mist takes over

Cheikitout

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 23 Feb 2011, 1:44 am

Not sure that's fair re: Cotto

Certainly - Marg's punches took it out of him and he took a knee - but it was still a corner stoppage - he took a knee with the hope of surviving the round (at the time it looked unlikely).

He fought and beat Shane before he lost to Margarito.

And re: LMW - I agree about Mayorga - its a horrible fight.

However - Cintron? Rhodes? Bundrage?

Bundrage may have a belt - but he's reality TV level - and had lost all the early rounds against Foreman when he butted Foreman out. Angulo lost to Kermit. Kermit has looked truly poor in all his top fights - although I think he is the man that cotto should beat next.

Its not that Cotto looks particularly stunning at LMW - but when you have a fighter that couldn't win the contender but is somehow a titlist at LMW it goes to show how weak the division is.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Wed 23 Feb 2011, 3:04 am

I wouldnt have Martinez in my top 10. Great fighter.. but P4P ability for a guy who basically looks for big shots?

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:50 am

Jamson wrote:
I wouldnt have Martinez in my top 10. Great fighter.. but P4P ability for a guy who basically looks for big shots?

But at the moment jamson - he tends to find his big shhots as well. The first Williams fight - nailed on fight of the year - his accurate punching was incredible. And Hard.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 24 Feb 2011, 7:33 am

Martinez has speed, athleticism, a good defense and punches hard.

He is a legiotimate pound for pounder. Noe sure how long his title reign will be though due to his age.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 24 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

I'd take Wlad out - he hasn't fought the two best in the division which is weak anyway - and put Froch in. The guy has an incredble record since becoming WBC champ.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Feb 2011, 5:58 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I'd take Wlad out - he hasn't fought the two best in the division which is weak anyway - and put Froch in. The guy has an incredble record since becoming WBC champ.

Longevity maybe? He hasn't fought 2/3 but he's tried to fight/destroyed 3-15. Which is quite impressive.

However - when Chisora was ranked 16 - a 15 fight novice - you know things have got REALLY bad.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 24 Feb 2011, 8:19 pm

So he's beaten the weakest contenders when stronger fighters exist. The Ring top 10 should be reserved more worthy achievements in my opinion. Froch has fought a mighty level of opposition and lost once. Wlad's opposition has been urine poor and he's been KO'd thrice.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down