The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Celtic RWC ?

+15
robbo277
Shifty
MBTGOG
nottins
Bathman_in_London
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
doctor_grey
tomhughesnice
TheGreyGhost
Notch
Biltong
red_stag
rodders
HERSH
Portnoy
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Celtic RWC ? - Page 2 Empty A Celtic RWC ?

Post by Portnoy Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

When will they be gifted the honour?

In my opinion the NZ will be the last to be hosted solely by a 'small' nation and in future should be granted to either a 'big' country exclusively or a collective of smaller nations.

2007 provided a benchmark for the future where neutral games were spectacularly attended whilst (e.g. MS) neutral ones were either in the wrong venue or fell below par for the competition.

So. I want and would welcome a Celtic RWC so long as they can supply and guarantee audiences of a minimum of 30000 for every game.

Equally in the SH where only Oz and the Boks could aspire to attendance and revenue required.

So should future RWC be granted to

'Big' nations (Eng, Fra, SA, Oz) with no 'away' fixtures
and
Collective nations (Celtic (plus Italy), PIs (NZ, PIs and Japan) and the Americas)) with no 'big nations' fixtures

Last edited by Portnoy on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

A Celtic RWC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: A Celtic RWC ?

Post by robbo277 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

I reckon we'll see something like South Africa 2023, Argentina 2027, Italy 2031, Australia 2035. It's a long way to predict in the future, but that wouldn't surprise me at all, and I think all 4 would be decent choices for the Rugby World Cup. A good balance between the timezones (no 2 World Cups outside of European time for the TV money) and developed and developing nations.

By 2039 we might have another rugby superpower (most likely Russia) who might put a bid in. If not a Celtic World Cup could happen then, but I think it would be more likely to go back to France.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:11 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Wales has a legally binding agreement that a tournament run by any of the 6 Nations sides, must include games at Cardiff. The WRU got all the other 6 Nation countries to agree to this during the 1999 tournament.
Alyn,
I never heard about this agreement before. Is this why Cardiff became part of Northwest France during the last RWC and is the western extremity of the English West Country in RWC2015? Seems a bit strange. Do you or anyone know the background? I would approciate the info.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:03 pm

AlynDavies wrote:though Wales has a legally binding agreement that a tournament run by any of the 6 Nations sides, must include games at Cardiff. The WRU got all the other 6 Nation countries to agree to this during the 1999 tournament.

Have you got any proof of this ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

To be honest, I have no idea how they could ever make it legally binding.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Rugby_World_Cup

it may have been a gentleman's agreement? but i would of thought legal documents were signed.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

go to the bottom of the page and it also gives the various venues.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:30 pm

robbo277 wrote:I reckon we'll see something like South Africa 2023, Argentina 2027, Italy 2031, Australia 2035. It's a long way to predict in the future, but that wouldn't surprise me at all, and I think all 4 would be decent choices for the Rugby World Cup. A good balance between the timezones (no 2 World Cups outside of European time for the TV money) and developed and developing nations.

By 2039 we might have another rugby superpower (most likely Russia) who might put a bid in. If not a Celtic World Cup could happen then, but I think it would be more likely to go back to France.

SH '23 SH '27 [back to back RWCs] ain't going to happen in our lifetimes robbo.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

mr-bryns-attitude wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Rugby_World_Cup

it may have been a gentleman's agreement? but i would of thought legal documents were signed.

You've posted a Wikipedia page to prove a point ? I see nothing on that page that says there was any agreement.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm

If such documents excisted I doubt they would be available online
I don't know if it's true or not but I have no reason to doubt what he said or do I have any evidence to prove the contrary.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Alyn,
I never heard about this agreement before. Is this why Cardiff became part of Northwest France during the last RWC and is the western extremity of the English West Country in RWC2015? Seems a bit strange. Do you or anyone know the background? I would approciate the info.

To answer all these queries.
When Wales hosted the 1999 World Cup, they gave a pools out to other countries in Europe. In exchange for giving these pools out, the WRU had the other countries sign agreements that any future World Cups, where they are choosen as host, will include Wales in as pay back for Wales giving them a 199 pool. However the small print doesn't specify a number of World Cups, basically the agreement runs forever. Wales give these countries 1 pool, they could in theory give Wales many!

Graham Henry was full of praise for the WRU in his autobiography about the deal because basically no 6 Nation Union can bid for a World Cup, unless they agree with Wales to let them host some games. There is quite a lot of information about it on the internet, but finding the exact phrases for the deal is difficult.

Yes it is why Wales hosted games for the French World Cup. England wanted to host the Cup only in England and Wales blocked it, it paved the way for France to get the World Cup.

This shouldnt be news to anyone it has been talked about for years.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:26 pm

The RWC is all about money,Stadiums,transport facilities,hotels etc.it has already been said.That NZ will never host one again,there is no earthly
Reason why.Spain,Italy,Argentina,USA,Canada could`nt have one all the criteria are there.Nor for that matter that a joint bid for UK and ireland jointly have one.With a final at Murrayfield for a change.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:11 am

Dont think the Celtic nations will ever host it in the next 30 years but think they could have the stadiums.

Croke Park 82000
the millenium Stadium 75000
Murrayfield 67500
Celtic Park 60506
The aviva 51000
Ibrox Stadium 51000
Hampden Park 50670
Casement park (after redevelopement) 40000
Thomond Park 26500
Cardiff City Stadium 26000
Healy Park 25000
liberty Stadium 20500

Thats 11 Stadiums 20,000 and over and 7 of those are over 50,000 which are almost completely seated. thats presuming the GAA allow it.

There are also a few more GAA stadiums in ireland that are big enough but because they are mostly standing i dont think they are eligible to host rwc games. can anyone confirm that i think i read it on the old 606.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 06 Sep 2011, 12:08 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Alyn,

To answer all these queries.
When Wales hosted the 1999 World Cup, they gave a pools out to other countries in Europe. In exchange for giving these pools out, the WRU had the other countries sign agreements that any future World Cups, where they are choosen as host, will include Wales in as pay back for Wales giving them a 199 pool. However the small print doesn't specify a number of World Cups, basically the agreement runs forever. Wales give these countries 1 pool, they could in theory give Wales many!

Graham Henry was full of praise for the WRU in his autobiography about the deal because basically no 6 Nation Union can bid for a World Cup, unless they agree with Wales to let them host some games. There is quite a lot of information about it on the internet, but finding the exact phrases for the deal is difficult.

Yes it is why Wales hosted games for the French World Cup. England wanted to host the Cup only in England and Wales blocked it, it paved the way for France to get the World Cup.

This shouldnt be news to anyone it has been talked about for years.

Wales got matches in 2007 because that was part of the deal with France to get the votes. Same with Scotland getting games and Ireland would have gotten games but we didn't have a stadium at the time.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2